Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Saturn Controllers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Controllers for NiGHTS into dreams (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Which controller do you use for NiD?

1. Sega Saturn standard model 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Sega Saturn standard model 2 (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Sega Saturn 3D controller (7 votes [77.78%])

Percentage of vote: 77.78%

4. Other (please specify) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
I don't think this topic has been brought up before, and I didn't find a search tab, so here goes!

I've been really curious about the 3D controller, 11 years of seeing that little picture of the controller on the back of the boxart of the game, but I never got it.

Until today. I just got a mint 3D controller on the mail, and it's really cool! However, 11 years of developed skill with a normal model 2 controller really doesn't come into play when you have a super-sensitive analog-like stick. It's so hard to control, I feel like I have to relearn NiGHTS altogether! =P
After reaching Mystic Forest (I do the levels in order like so: Claris (SV)>Elliot (SG)>Claris (MF) and so on) I was already getting the hang of it. It definitely requires a big steep learning curve, after such a long time playing with a normal D-Pad. Even the 3D's D-Pad feels different. It certainly helps in a lot of stuff, though. Tight maneuvers are easier to perform and acrobatic movements are infinitely more comfortable with the push-in shoulder buttons. I almost got a 2.0 on Puffy before I completely messed it up like seven times.

I'll continue to use it, as I kind of think that it's the way that NiGHTS should be played.
But what's your opinion? What controller do you use? Why? Would you use another if you had the chance? If you have the chance, why do you not use the others and use the one you use? Heh.

Let's have a small discussion, here ^^

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
I'd love to play with a 3d controller, but my saturn came with type two and I like it as is.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I bought NiGHTS bundled with the "3D Control Pad" back in the day. It's all I've ever used outside of briefly experimenting with other controllers.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...

I bought NiGHTS bundled with the "3D Control Pad" back in the day. It's all I've ever used outside of briefly experimenting with other controllers.

Oh, cool, and what did you think of the other controllers (and what controllers were they?)

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
The second model American control pad worked alright, but I preferred the analog experience, so I only used it a few times.

I also decided to attempt the arcade stick, just for fun... it wasn't so great. :P

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

The second model American control pad worked alright, but I preferred the analog experience, so I only used it a few times.

I also decided to attempt the arcade stick, just for fun... it wasn't so great. :P

Hm, wouldn't it make sense that it would work like the analog controller?

(added an extra option to the poll so that people can talk about another controller, such as the arcade system, mentioned ^above^.)

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I only use the 3D controller. I have the American second model, but the directional pad is too clunky for 3D games.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
3D controller is da bomb! :)

I agree it takes some getting used to, as it's a little touchy, but once you're used to it you can be really precise with your movements.

The only time I use the standard controller (the original one that came with the Japanese system, not the plastic US version) on NiGHTS is when I'm trying to do a lot of spins in Soft Museum. The dpad is amazing for doing fast little spins. I also use the standard controller for all my shmups. It's probably the best dpad I've ever used on any system.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I think somebody asked this years and years ago. XD

Anyway, I think the 3D controller is vastly superior for NiGHTS. It simply offers much more precision than original. Other than that you still have the option to use a D-pad so I don't see any reason to pick the others above it.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

I think somebody asked this years and years ago. XD

Anyway, I think the 3D controller is vastly superior for NiGHTS. It simply offers much more precision than original. Other than that you still have the option to use a D-pad so I don't see any reason to pick the others above it.

Well, if you compare the the D-Pad on both the model 2 and the 3D controllers, you'll see that the 3D's d-pad is a touch bigger and its center point is a bit deeper in comparison to the other one on model 2, so it feels a bit weird to me, yet =P

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I also got NiD bundled with the 3D controller. I play NiD with the 3D controller. I've played other games here and there with it though. I have a model 1 Saturn otherwise, that model 1 pad is one of the best 6 button pads in existence, besides the 6 button Genesis pad. (I've never gotten my hands on the Japanese Saturn pad though, and don't own any model 2 controllers.)

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
I think the 3D pad could really improve my high scores. Because i barely beat the game as is <_<

segaismysavior

segaismysavior

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, animation, 3D creation software, Unreal Dev Kit
3D controller.

If I had to play a friend in 2-player, then I would use the standard model 1 to try and give my opponents an advantage, but I still crushed them. ;)

Back in 2004 though, I bought an extra 3D controller off of Ebay, so now I no longer have to make that "sacrifice."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users