Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Art of Video Games

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

iMAGiNE

iMAGiNE

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
So I just came across this website. If you sign up, you have the chance to vote for video games spanning five eras and nineteen consoles. The top eighty games will be presented in an art exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum from March 15 to September 30 of 2012. Much to my surprise, NiGHTS was a nominee. Let's get those votes rolling!

http://www.artofvideogames.org/

(Apologies if this has been posted.)

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:ANIME, VIDEO GAMES, MANGA. READING. NIGHTS.

So I just came across this website. If you sign up, you have the chance to vote for video games spanning five eras and nineteen consoles. The top eighty games will be presented in an art exhibit at the Smithsonian American Art Museum from March 15 to September 30 of 2012. Much to my surprise, NiGHTS was a nominee. Let's get those votes rolling!

http://www.artofvideogames.org/

(Apologies if this has been posted.)

So if we Vote NIGHTS Will Get More Games in the Future?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Cool! I voted. I'm also pleased to see the Panzer Dragoon series represented.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Awesome catch, iMAGiNE! Definitely worth voting for.

Giga - voting on this would not necessarily mean more games in the future, however it would provide more exposure and interest.

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Awesome catch, iMAGiNE! Definitely worth voting for.

Giga - voting on this would not necessarily mean more games in the future, however it would provide more exposure and interest.

I See. I Voted For NIGHTS, Paper Mario, Sonic, Final Fantasy, Phantasy Star, and Panzer Dragoon.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Voted.

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Voted.

Good Good.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
NiD better win its category.. no contest as far as I'm concerned. It's also weird seeing Sonic CD as the 'Genesis Sonic choice', since it was the Sega CD and all.. I guess they figure how many fans hold CD in high regard as the best of the classic Sonic series. Personally I'd say Sonic 2 probably should have been there instead of CD, but I voted for CD to vote for Sonic.

Hypertreb

Hypertreb

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just voted. I really hope it wins, NiD needs more Recognition.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I saw that Yuji Naka posted about this on "his" facebook. I've got about 40 or so more voting opportunities but I think I've done what I can do. NiGHTS was definitely one of the first games I voted for.

NiD better win its category.. no contest as far as I'm concerned. It's also weird seeing Sonic CD as the 'Genesis Sonic choice', since it was the Sega CD and all.. I guess they figure how many fans hold CD in high regard as the best of the classic Sonic series. Personally I'd say Sonic 2 probably should have been there instead of CD, but I voted for CD to vote for Sonic.

I found that weird too but I guess since the SEGA CD is seen more as an add-on than a console they figured, "Why not?" I voted for Earthworm Jim over it though. Kinda like Earthworm's art direction more.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Voted :P At first I didn't realize you could vote for so many different systems and genres for anyone else that is trying to figure out the site.

iMAGiNE

iMAGiNE

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Among my votes were NiGHTS, Earthbound, Final Fantasy X, Earthworm Jim, and Psychonauts.

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Among my votes were NiGHTS, Earthbound, Final Fantasy X, Earthworm Jim, and Psychonauts.

Good Choice.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Update: Effing Tomb Raider beat out NiD. I am disgusted.

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

GIGA-XISBASS VISITOR

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Update: Effing Tomb Raider beat out NiD. I am disgusted.

That stinks. Stupid Tomb Raider beat NIGHTS into Dream!? What the Bloody Heck is wrong with People!?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Honestly, I can't imagine how that happen; I assumed NiGHTS had it in the bag. I guess people who didn't own a Saturn may have just voted for Tomb Raider because they had heard of it, but never heard of NiGHTS? I guess? Even though the Saturn version wasn't as popular as the Playstation version?

At least Panzer Dragoon is represented with three titles.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Okay, I had to scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll up.... It seems as thought they mashed Sega Genesis with the Sega CD? Earthworm Jim won for the Action segment of the Genesis console, with Sonic CD as a runner up? Unless my eyes are bugging up and my ability to comprehend anything has suddenly been shot to pieces.

And, yeah.. major disappoint there with Tomb Raider winning over NiGHTS.
Part of me wants to say this turned into more of a competition of "favorite" video game versus the "art" of the video game.. but, who knows.

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...

I guess people who didn't own a Saturn may have just voted for Tomb Raider because they had heard of it, but never heard of NiGHTS?

I don't get this. My Saturn has both TR1 and NiGHTS. I got the complete package.

Now, I know it seems like a huge stretch (especially since TR hasn't been good since 4), but the concept art for the games was beautiful. Granted, it's realistic, and not phantasy.

Oh.
Well.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I... I am pretty got damn pissed right now. Now, I'm not here to diss Tomb Raider but how in the **** could it beat out two extremely original and unique looking games? It's bad enough already that a third party game beat out two beautiful exclusives but it's another thing that those vibrant and whimsical art styles lost to the typical boring "realistic" style. What the ****!!! GAAAARRARAAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Utter Magic

Utter Magic

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Filmmaking, NiGHTS, gaming, visual effects, movies, writing, reading, theology, photography...
By the way, I know this is almost 0+ points to the TR franchise, but it does have some pretty cool and phantasy-like things.

Art direction has categories and genres as well, it's a bit tendentious to put all these various games into the same bag in terms of style (which they clearly do not share) and expect one to be "better" than the other, when each game can be the best in its own category/genre.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
Utter Magic's right. Tomb Raider wasn't really all that bland artistically. In fact, for it's time it did what it wanted to graphically pretty well. The end boss is truly probably the most memorable feature of the entire series.

By the way, I'm not really as angry as I made myself seem. I did that for show but I do feel disappointed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users