Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mortal Kombat 9

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Back in the day when Street Fighter 2 was the beat 'em up of choice around here (in the UK, at least) there was the arrival of a new fighting game called Mortal Kombat. And with the ripping of heads and spike pits of death, it was easy to see why Mortal Kombat got the controversy it did back in the early 1990's. But DAMN it man, it had ninja's in it! And if you do your history homework you will see the 90's had a thing for ninja's, lol.

So Mortal Kombat interested me so much, and then i heard about Mortal Kombat 2 being released and it had the green Ninja called Reptile finally selectable as a character. I was so happy. That game also introduced me to the character Jade, a female green ninja. I was most pleased.

I was a kid back then and as the series progressed it seemed like Ed Boon wanted to do everything to make every single Mortal Kombat different from the last, getting rid of characters we loved in favor of new ones and i lost interest. That and the fact that the fighting mechanics didn't seem too solid after a while. And then they would get lazy by not giving these characters their individuality and half of them sharing moves and stuff, it seemed a little lazy.

And then they announce this new Mortal Kombat (which fans are calling MK9 as it's the ninth one in the series). And i'm seeing nostalgic characters making a return, i'm seeing work being put in to each character, i'm seeing care and consideration in to what they're building.

And holy sh!t am i excited!! I have not been this excited for a Mortal Kombat game since MK2.
Reptile is back. Jade is also here (hola senorita). Their original outfits will be made available for download. As far as fanservice goes, Mortal Kombat 9 has honestly won me a million times over. And i can't wait for this game as it finally seems like the team in charge of Mortal Kombat are taking their series seriously again and are putting a good effort of work in to it.

TL;DR
-
Holy sh!t! The new Mortal Kombat looks awesome and i'm so happy to see Reptile's old costume and Jade in this.

Also, sorry for my history lesson, lol. Dunno where that came from! XD;;

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Hey, don't sweat it man. People got to learn their history and honestly, as odd as it may sound, Mortal Kombat is probably one of the most relevant titles in the history of video games. The entire existence of the ESRB can be attributed mostly to it. But I digress. :D

I'm actually really jazzed about this game. The series more or less went to sh!t when it jumped to 3D. It's like the game makers finally remembered what made the game fun so they're going back to basics. 2D plane, no stance changing and most importantly, they're giving us only the most popular and loved characters for the most part. None of those garbage characters they kept on adding like Dairou and Drahmin. I haven't been genuinely excited for a Mortal Kombat game in a while but this one is looking pretty sweet.

Also, hell yeah Ermac! XD

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I haven't been following it too close, but it does look promising. They announced the special edition too, with a figure set of Scorpion battling Sub Zero..

http://www.fear3.fr/...EGI_mock-up.jpg

http://shoryuken.com...ade-stick-2756/

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Indeed! And all the Sub-Zero fanboys got butt hurt that they're favourite character was being killed! lol, what's funny about that though is it's completely canon as far as Sub-Zero goes. The first Sub-Zero got his ass killed by Scorpion, it's a totally legit scene being depicted for the statue! XD

In all seriousness though, i can understand why they might be pissed with it. Nobody wants to be reminded of their favourite character dying. That's like if there was a statue of Aeris getting stabbed by Sephiroth going on sale.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

That's like if there was a statue of Aeris getting stabbed by Sephiroth going on sale.

That sounds like an awesome statue and I would gladly buy it. :D

Man, I look at that joystick for the game and I just can't help but think what the hell is up with that button layout? How the crap are you supposed to put your fingers on it? Oh well. Even if the layout was awesome the stick still looks like sh!t. A bunch on wannabe Happ parts. No thank you.

Also, just because...

Cooking with Scorpion

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

Indeed! And all the Sub-Zero fanboys got butt hurt that they're favourite character was being killed! lol, what's funny about that though is it's completely canon as far as Sub-Zero goes. The first Sub-Zero got his ass killed by Scorpion, it's a totally legit scene being depicted for the statue! XD

In all seriousness though, i can understand why they might be pissed with it. Nobody wants to be reminded of their favourite character dying. That's like if there was a statue of Aeris getting stabbed by Sephiroth going on sale.

But the first Sub-Zero killed Scorpion!

*frowny face*

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Challenge Tower http://shoryuken.com...nge-tower-3777/

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
New trailer- http://www.gametrail...l-kombat/711451

Also the demo is apparently already out, or is coming out soon..

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Programming, Gaming, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and misc. geeky stuff.
As one of the developers for this game, I was super excited to see you created this thread DiGi!
The more excited the fans get, the more excited the developers get. And excited developers = motivated developers.

I wanted to set some things straight though...

Man, I look at that joystick for the game and I just can't help but think what the hell is up with that button layout? How the crap are you supposed to put your fingers on it? Oh well. Even if the layout was awesome the stick still looks like sh!t. A bunch on wannabe Happ parts. No thank you.

The stick layout is identical to how it was in the arcade. Admittedly I haven't exactly figured out how to play with this layout either.
Also, the stick is made with genuine Happ parts. I've played with it a few times, and it's fantastic. Not cheapo at all. I wanted one just to have a nice joystick that I could use with emulators on my comp.

Hopefully I'll be challenging you guys on April 19th! (April 21st for EU)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Neo, you're a developer for MK? I had no idea :unsure:

One question I have, it seems the game uses an eight button interface; for those of us with six button sticks (a traditional setup) it would be nice if we could map the L2 and R2 functions to operate by pressing two other attack buttons together (such as triangle and L1, or circle and R1).. as it stands I'd have to modify my stick to be able to use all the game's player functions.

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Programming, Gaming, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and misc. geeky stuff.
If I recall, you really only need six of the buttons for gameplay. The four standard buttons and L2/R2.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Also, the stick is made with genuine Happ parts. I've played with it a few times, and it's fantastic. Not cheapo at all. I wanted one just to have a nice joystick that I could use with emulators on my comp.

If they are genuine Happ parts then that's good. I got the vibe the stick would be like that crappy Nyubitech one made for the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

So, if you've been developing the game why did it take so long for you to jump on the thread? You've been a member since '08. :unsure:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

If I recall, you really only need six of the buttons for gameplay. The four standard buttons and L2/R2.

The four face buttons as well as L1, R1, L2 and R2 each seem to have their own functions from what I saw in the demo's options menu, since there's taunt, switch sides, throw, swap partner I think..

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
Weeeeell it's a hectic job! I got hired there in May '09 and it combined with finishing up school has been successful in occupying all my time. I stopped back here today after seeing the NiGHTS pillow case up for bid via Play for Japan, saw this thread and thought I'd comment. :unsure:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1183228p1.html

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
I'd be interested to know how you guys feel about the inclusion of Freddy. Thoughts?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I'd be interested to know how you guys feel about the inclusion of Freddy. Thoughts?

Just one.

Why?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Just one.

Why?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/07/22/ed-boon-talks-freddy-krueger-in-mortal-kombat-secret-origins-of-dlc-characters/#utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=FreddyMK_072211

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
While i honestly don't mind Freddy in this (and, hey, it's better than having Superheroes running about the Netherealm), i don't care for DLC characters much in fighting games. Which is really annoying because Beat 'Em Ups are heading down this road now where they will hold off characters specially for DLC because they know they can make more money off a game that way. Hell, just look at Capcom. They're actually turning me OFF from fighters because literally 5 months down the line there is a bunch of new stuff turning up and asking you to pay for them. It's getting long now.

I mean, the whole thing with MvC3. That is just utterly stupid, i'm sorry. Ever since DLC became a big thing the beat 'em up genre has become greedy as hell with making money. I swear, if it wasn't for the reveal of Poison for SFxT i probably wouldn't have even looked at the game. Yun and Yang, two of my favourite fighters from SF3 are now downloadable for Super SF4 ...and i just can't care for it anymore.

So, while i don't actually mind Freddy in Mortal Kombat, i'm getting annoyed at how companies won't just MAKE a fighting game anymore, they've got to try and find ways to squeeze every sodding penny out from you post release. It ain't cool.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

So, while i don't actually mind Freddy in Mortal Kombat, i'm getting annoyed at how companies won't just MAKE a fighting game anymore, they've got to try and find ways to squeeze every sodding penny out from you post release. It ain't cool.

To their credit I think Nether Realm is handling the DLC much better than Capcom. The roster was already pretty damn complete to begin with and if you don't want to buy the characters they still release free compatibility patches so you fight against them at least. Also, free DLC costumes. Capcom can't say the same. When the new thing comes out that's it. So good on NR.

But yeah, Ultimate MvC3 is appalling.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeah, NR are handling DLC better than Capcom. Capcom's business strategy right now is sticking out like a sore arse in an alleyway.

But i still can't find myself being 'bothered' enough to want to have to purchase DLC for a character. I mean, ok. If it was something i truly 100% wanted then yeh i would get it. Like if SEGA had allowed NiGHTS to be DLC for ASR, i'm a huge NiGHTS fan, i would have downloaded it without question. But that's because i'm a hardcore fan of a specific character. With Beat Em Ups i've always been a loose fan. I love them, i love the characters and i enjoy the games but i'm not head set on pumping loads of money in to them. But then if i don't buy the DLC's then i start to feel forced that i'm not getting EVERYTHING out of the game. It actually feels like i have an incomplete game, truth being told. And nobody wants to go out and buy a game only to feel like they don't own the damn thing a few months later.

I'll agree that NR are doing a better job on DLC. Hell, i was pretty heart-set on getting Reptile his klassic costume and all. But the way DLC has become a major inclusion for fighters thesedays is becoming annoying. I'm kinda hoping this fiasco with Capcoms UMvC3 will set an example so maybe things can calm down a little ...i doubt it will though.

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
So long as people keep buying DLC, it's not going anywhere. I wasn't too worried about our DLC, but as soon as Sub-zero or Scorpion becomes DLC, then you know something has gone horribly wrong.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
The point I think we both are trying to make is we don't like DLC being used as an excuse to release an incomplete game and profit more from it later. Ideally it should be used to make an already complete and good product even better should the buyer chose to do so. I personally feel NR is doing this. If you chose not to buy the extra content you aren't punished for it.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I have all the DLC characters except Freddy (Got Skarlet free so didn't feel like getting Season Pass. Actually I hate Kenshi but would have bought Skarlet so I guess it evened itself out) because of lack of MS Points and I don't think I really want him.

I would just hope that if any more story comes to the game that it is DLC and not retail since NRS keeps saying this game is a tournament fighter. Can't say it is and release a sequel a year later and stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users