Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

This question needs an answer.

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Bosco

Bosco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Programming, sciences and arts.
Why is nobody interested in hacking or modifying the original Sega Saturn game?

We could find some interesting information, or development leftovers.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Attempts have been made (that's how we found out about Selph and some alternate boss names), but I think the scarcity has to do with Saturn games being infamously hard to do much of anything with. Anyone more versed able to shed more light on the subject?

Bosco

Bosco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
Come on guys, hacking NiGHTS is serious business.

I'll ask people from Sonic Retro.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Serious business it is indeed, but also very hard, considering it's a Saturn Game. Like Nocturne said, attempts have been made in the past, textures have been ripped, names have been found. But ultimately, we're not a community of hackers, and apart from a couple of people who delved into Journey of Dreams, I don't think there's really anyone around here who wouldn't have already tried if they could. You'll probably have more luck at Retro, yes.

Bosco

Bosco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
If nobody does it... I'll do it.

http://forums.sonicr...showtopic=23970

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Interesting read through on the topic at Retro. Good stuff.

As for your question, and in echo of everyone else, hacking has been attempted many times before and for those who have tried have told us it's a nasty operation to take on. I know way back in the day some people at CulT gave it a shot, furthermore in recent years there have been a few solo peoples out there giving it a try on their own. As Jof said though we're not a community of hackers so that's why you don't see it come up a lot.

This doesn't mean we're not interested in finding what's inside the game. Quite the opposite, in fact. We're very interested in what secrets NiGHTS into Dreams has locked away, if anything. The problem as was stated though, we're not hackers. And we were never really sure about aproaching communities of hackers to ask if they would bother attempting something like NiGHTS, what with it's reputation to be such a tough game to hack.

I commend your work though, please keep on hacking away and doing what you can ^_^

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
Wow, I've been looking at the topic on Sonic Retro, and you've already done some neat stuff, this is cool!

Anyways, I think Sonic Retro would be able to help you more over there then we could here, since there are people there who know some things about hacking the Saturn. Hacking the Saturn is very tough, I mean, if developers that even had access to the Saturn's SDK had trouble programming it, it's going to be hard to hack it, and looks like you've already run into some trouble already.

However, I hope you continue hacking the game, for all you know, this might inspire other people to look into hacking the game too, and who knows, like others have said, maybe you'll find something in the game, I mean, you can only find so much out by looking into files, but if you have those files running in game, you could find out more.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Cool findings! This should totally become an emote: Posted Image

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.

Cool findings! This should totally become an emote: Posted Image

About that picture, what's that thing in the middle of NiGHT's face? It's probably just a mouth, but it's not like it's open the whole game, but then again, it could be the damage texture.

Bosco

Bosco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
It IS the damage texture, and that IS a wide-opened mouth.

And the thing you ate WASN'T chocolate.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Just read this thread and the one on SR, some pretty neat stuff. Looking forward to whatever else you discover, keep up the awesomeness.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I also approve of this, as well, in addition to. Yes.

So wait, that [unused..?] graphic is meant to be NiGHTS's face when he gets hit?

Bosco

Bosco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
No no, it's not an unused graphic, it's actually used.

It's just... Funny. :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
0.o something else I never noticed? Though it happens in a split second, so to do so..

Uh.. now I'm gonna go try getting hit and pausing at just the right moment :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users