Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Tron Thread

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Greetings programs!

You know, considering Tron Legacy is hot stuff right now I figured why not strike while the iron is hot. This folks is the thread dedicated to all things Tron. Whether you're new to the grid or been a fan for as long as you've been alive here's the place to discuss anything you want Tron related. Movies, games, comics, whatever. Share thoughts opinions etc. Have fun. ^_^

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Im glad this thread got started by someone. Tron Tron Tron, it's so fun to say.

So like a lot of things these days, I only got into Tron on the build up to Legacy. Obviously, I'd heard of the original film before, and if seen my fair share of parodies from the likes of Dexter's Laboratory.

So I'd seen the initial trailers for Legacy, and decided the right thing would be to track down and watch the Original. It was a alright for a film, introduced some amazing ideas for a Universe. I loved some of the Religious undertones, and even if the movie was incredibly 80's cheesey, I was worth watching. I was now officially looking forward to Legacy, and just seeing some of the updated elements (Recognizers, Identity Discs etc.) really had me going.

Seen Legacy twice since it's release, I thought it was amazing. I really don't understand the bad press it's getting. Sure it's an eye candy fest, but so was the original, and like it, this is really groundbreaking stuff. The style of this film is just amazing. People complain about the plot, or the characters. Tron was hardly known for this either, and Legacy sure as hell has a better plot than Avatar : P.

I also got Evolution for the 360 for christmas, upon my request. I usually steer right clear of Movie games, but it's Tron here! It's a video game movie from the start. I was willing to give it a chance, and let me tell you; it may not be the best game I've played all year, but I was pleasantly surprised by it. It's basically Prince of Persia, but Tron-ified. The graphics and style are pretty awesome actually, and while it's a little short, and the controls slightly loose, I felt it played a better Persia than "The Forgotten Sands" did. I suggest anyone really interested in the lore and mythology of Tron pick it up, as it's already selling pretty cheap in stores.

So yeah, Tron, amazing. I'm totally looking forward to Uprising (the upcoming TV show), and really hope the move producers greenlight another sequel.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Funny thing Jof. I got Evolution for Christmas too. XD

More importantly though c'mon people! Jof and I can't seriously be the only ones here who saw Tron Legacy.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Part of me wants to hold out until I can properly see the first movie, then go see the new one..
I wonder how long they'll keep it in theatres? It'd be nice if they let it run just a teeny bit longer so I don't miss out on the 3D experience.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Part of me wants to hold out until I can properly see the first movie, then go see the new one..
I wonder how long they'll keep it in theatres? It'd be nice if they let it run just a teeny bit longer so I don't miss out on the 3D experience.

I wouldn't worry about seeing the first one. It's not required to understand the second at all. Besides that, DVDs for Tron seem to be something of a rarity. Just check out prices on ebay.

Also, I'd see it as soon as you can because there's no telling how long it'll be in theaters. My local Imax is having it until March but that's not indicative of other theaters.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

Funny thing Jof. I got Evolution for Christmas too. XD

: ) I seen you playing it on the Xbox yeah. What do you think of it? It's alright for a bit of fun I found. Not touched the Multiplayer yet though, even just looking at it, I can tell it's probably imbalanced as f***.

And yeah Infractus, I'd suggest you see it as soon as you can too. Disney don't make Tron on DVD anymore, and word is they won't start again till Legacy is coming out either. Your best bet is to either obtain it by other means *ahem*, or go see Legacy without it. I can understand where you're coming from though, to really appreciate how far the franchise has evolved, you're best seeing the original before.

Oh hey, I found someone who posted it on the Youtubes.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

: ) I seen you playing it on the Xbox yeah. What do you think of it? It's alright for a bit of fun I found. Not touched the Multiplayer yet though, even just looking at it, I can tell it's probably imbalanced as f***.

Honestly, if not for the fact it was called Tron I wouldn't touch it. I thought it was crispy fried sh!t down to the marrow. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't utterly ruined by its broken as f*** combat system. Mutliplayer isn't much better assuming you can even find a match and lag murders control. Also, the story literally adds nothing to the mythos and somehow manages to miss every opportunity to clarify one of the many fuzzy plot points of the film.

Bottom line, it's worse than Tron 2.0 and that game wasn't exactly great either. Oddly enough though I'm still glad I played it just so I can advise other Tron fans to avoid it like the plague and either spend that money to but the prequel comic of a Prince of Persia game. XD

Just my thoughts anyway.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I watched the original Tron for the first time a few days before i went to see Tron: Legacy and i just loved the whole lot of it. I felt that for a Disney film, the way they handled Legacy in connection with the first film was brilliant. And i don't understand why so many people are giving Legacy such a bad rep. Personaly, i think people are just complaining about it to be in with the crowds online, like i've seen some people like it then change their statements merely because their friends have said they thought it was bad.

Tron 1 is all about a simple story of some dude wanting to prove he created something before some other dude took his ideas and he accidently winds up in the digital world and thus has to fight his way out. That's it. That's all there was to the first film, and yet a cult following grew for it. Doubled up with the fact that computers back in those days weren't as commonly known as they are now and it's easy to see why Tron's fanbase began to grow over the years.

Tron Legacy doesn't offer up a cheap little storyline but actually builds on the world that we were witnessing in the first film. People keep making connections to Star Wars but i don't see it. In fact, it's one of the most over-used arguments i've seen in regards to Legacy and i find it to be the weakest of them all.

I felt the casting for Legacy was brilliant, i loved Quorra's curiosity about things, she turned out to be a great character and one that i did not think would win me over, the advertising of her in photo's and screen's from the film seem to portray her differently, but in the film she really is one of my favourite characters. I kinda wish she had done more in the film though, she was capable of kicking so much more ass than she did. In fact, if there is any gripe i had with the film it was that Quorra probably didn't do as much as i would have liked her to have done. But it doesn't ruin the story at all for me.

Visually, flawless. It's the closest thing i have seen visually to a Phantasy Star Online movie, the blacks against the neon colours, the city, the outfits, it just felt like PSO at some points.

I'm going to pick up Tron Evolution at some point because i wanna see for myself what it has to offer. That and the character Gibson has one bitchin' outfit that i would love to own myself, lol.

All in all, there are some movies that attach themselves to certain people viewing them. Some of the nerds from the 70's and 80's glued themselves to Star Wars, the late 90's and early 00's was some kinda Matrix moment in time for some people. For me, until something else comes along to tick all the right boxes, Tron Legacy is my movie.

Tron Legacy - quit f*!*ing around, see the first film then get your arses to the cinema to see this one.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've seen the original when it was on tv a while back, haven't seen the new one. I was kinda disappointed hearing what critics had to say, which I was suspicious about, where it looks cool but the story aspect is weak. But anyways..

*kinda wonders why this thread's not in the movies section*

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

And i don't understand why so many people are giving Legacy such a bad rep. Personaly, i think people are just complaining about it to be in with the crowds online, like i've seen some people like it then change their statements merely because their friends have said they thought it was bad.

Even though I love Legacy I can understand why people didn't like it. The story really is quite terrible and starts falling apart in several ways the moment you start thinking about it. A lot doesn't make sense and the whole plot revolves around a macguffin so poorly explained it only leads to confusion. If you didn't like the visuals then this movie offered nothing.

Even so I'm not sure what people's expectations were. Was anybody expecting this to be anything but a big dumb action flick? The first Tron was a visual spectacle with a simple story. Legacy is pretty much the same thing and I enjoyed it. Even though the plot is dumb at least it's not shoving a hackneyed environmental moral down my throat like Avatar, nor is it totally f*!*ing offensive like Transformers 2.

*kinda wonders why this thread's not in the movies section*

Because Tron also spans comic books and video games. I didn't want to start a thread in all the sub forums. ^_^

Auto-Fox

Auto-Fox

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
The mere fact that Daft Punk did the soundtrack makes it awesome. There is no way to refute that statement.
Anyway, I'm going to see it with my uncle on Monday...

CROSSiNG

CROSSiNG

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Let's see: Making music, books, video games, oh yeah and NiGHTS.
I did a Remix of he Daft Punk Derezzed awhile back. http://soundcloud.co...ezzed-off-remix
It's ok, a bit all over the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users