Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Naka's new game using his NiGHTS concept

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
http://forums.sega.c...a-NiGHTS-sequel

Something about Naka's next game, interesting quote-

"Yuji Naka's upcoming game has been teased in Famitsu and it won't be published by SEGA. The game will be published by Kadokawa Games. Never heard of them? I don't blame you, all they have done was a port of RPG Maker for DS and some other girl anime game. But it seems the company wants to become bigger, first step is with the Yuji Naka HD game (along with a game by Grasshopper).

'The game itself is an action title that takes place in the sky. The action gameplay is what I'm focusing on the most with this project- interactivity is the most important attraction with any sort of game, and if that doesn't evolve, then games won't be everything they can be. Sonic was all about completely taking over the land, and NiGHTS brought that same concept into the skies. I had always thought that action games that take place in the sky are too hard for players to cope with, but then I thought up a new method for dealing with it. That's how this project got started. If I had stuck around at Sega, then I might have used this concept to make a sequel to NiGHTS!" - Yuji Naka (Prope)

It is most likely that SEGA passed on publishing Yuji Naka's title. Most likely due to how poor a bigger known IP like NiGHTS did on Wii and how he compares the concept to that or it could be due to how poor Let's Tap did. We will never know. We wish Naka luck with his new title and if its good, of course we will all be playing it, regardless of publisher. "

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
^^^

That is one awesome piece of news you've got there viper. Thanks for sharing.

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
Yeah this sounds interesting. Looking forward to hear more about Naka-san's next big game.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Woah. Now this is the good news I needed to end the day with! Huzzah!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
................... WHAAAAAAT?!?!?!

Oh, damnit! If he had stuck around at SEGA i bet you this game would have been something worth cheering about. Instead we got JoD.

It's great news but that's annoying to hear this idea of his is going on a different title now.

I'm kinda dissapointed, if i have to be honest. Not in Naka or anything like that, i'm looking forward to see how this game of his will turn out and i wish him the best for it, i just wish NiGHTS had been given better chances. Feels a little bittersweet to me.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
That's some very interesting news indeed. Like everyone else, I am really disappointed it Naka can no longer use the NiGHTS franchise, as if anyone can bring NiGHTS back to his former glory, it's his dad. He was on the record recently saying that he has cut all ties with Sonic, as he feels like it was his kid to start and it has grown and matured enough where the franchise can handle itself. What about NiGHTS Naka? If Sonic has matured as a franchise now, then surely NiGHTS is having a hell of a tough time getting noticed in Video Game High School. SEGA, do the right thing and sell NiGHTS to Prope : P

All in all though, this game has me quite excited. It's a HD game, which hopefully means XBOX 360, and it's practically a spiritual successor to NiGHTS. I'm dying to see what kind of style it has.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
Can't wait see more about the game. But it oh so stings to know that it could have been a NiGHTS sequel...

=(

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I can feel the bittersweetness as well but just knowing that Naka is working on a NiGHTS type of game is enough to make things taste more sweet than bitter. And I agree, Jof. SEGA should give NiGHTS to a company that obviously has more time for the series.

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
Oh wow... I'm so... Yeah.
As much as I want to be excited for this, even though it will be the same gameplay as NiGHTS I'm guessing a bit, I just... can't seem to be happy.
As much as I loved flying around so freely, especially on the SEGA Superstrs minigame... NiGHTS has been the thing that topped of the amazing free flying feeling. NiGHTS had a sweet story, however vague it was in the first game... And I know s/he's helped us through with some of our tough times in one way or another. I don't give a damn if it were made by SEGA or not. They should really even just GIVE NiGHTS to Kadokawa. It's not like they have anything planned for him anymore. I guess... It really makes me sad to think that because of this, it's basically...
...The end of NiGHTS...

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
No need to feel so bittersweet, Digi! Iizuka himself said he wants to make NiGHTS 3 but SEGA won't greenlight it for him.

Anyways. I originally found the story at SEGAbits, but my link got removed by a mod due to magazine scans.

http://www.segabits.com/?p=5033

CONCEPT ART (blurry, low quality, but still interesting)
http://www.segabits....0/10/529180.jpg

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

No need to feel so bittersweet, Digi! Iizuka himself said he wants to make NiGHTS 3 but SEGA won't greenlight it for him.

Anyways. I originally found the story at SEGAbits, but my link got removed by a mod due to magazine scans.

http://www.segabits.com/?p=5033

CONCEPT ART (blurry, low quality, but still interesting)
http://www.segabits....0/10/529180.jpg

Reminds me of Crystal Castle mixed with the setting for Bioshock Infinite.

Beautiful Nightmare

Beautiful Nightmare

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Who cares.
Contrary to most people here(sorry, but that's the impression I'm having now), I'm not a NiGHTS-fan only because of the flight style.
I'm a NiGHTS-fan because of the interesting concept and idea behind it's universe, the surreal and magic world where the story happens, the characters(NiGHTS herself principally, I love the character!), and yes, the freedom-feeling of flying.

The NiGHTS-series is MUCH more than just flying around. :D

Damnit SEGA, give poor Iizuka the green light to make NiGHTS 3 already!

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
I think one of the reasons a lot of people are excited is because we haven't really seen an actual game from Yuji Naka in a long time. This might actually be the first real game he created for.. who knows how many years? =P Let's Tap was unique, but got boring very fast. Ivy the Kiwi? is your average touch screen game. Finally, Yuji Naka is going to be pulling out the big guns on HD platforms. Plus he said it's an idea he was thinking about using for a NiGHTS sequel.

I mean. Of course everyone would love it if he was making a NiGHTS sequel, but he said he's not working with SEGA properties ever again. So this is the second best =P unless you enjoy eating whatever Iizuka puts out.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

The NiGHTS-series is MUCH more than just flying around. :D

We know that, but I, at least, am interested in seeing what Naka does with an idea originally created for NiGHTS. Honestly, I'd be interested in this regardless, but the NiGHTS connection just makes it more interesting. Is this the true successor to NiD? No, just a spinoff of sorts. :)

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
But that means that because it isn't a true successor, there WILL BE no more NiGHTS.

I believe that one this game comes out, it'd only be formal to hold a funeral of sorts. ;~;

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
It'd be a spiritual successor if anything. Sorta like Child of Eden is to Rez. It's too bad these games aren't being published by SEGA.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
TRiP reminded me the other day that Naka had always wanted to make the flying in NiGHTS more interactive than just than just the thumb analogue control method, he was attempting to make motion control for a NiGHTS sequel on the Saturn and the Dreamcast but they were never fully developed.

I think with the Kinect and Playstation MOVE being thrown around developers at the moment, it could be possible that this might be what Naka was trying to achieve when attempting to make those NiGHTS sequels.

My money is on it being a motion controlled game, if anything.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Making the Wiimote controls actually work would be magnificent.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
If this thing really ends up being like a motion controlled NiGHTS game done right I might just have to get a Move earlier than I might have anticipated.. but we'll have to wait and see..

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

I think one of the reasons a lot of people are excited is because we haven't really seen an actual game from Yuji Naka in a long time. This might actually be the first real game he created for.. who knows how many years?

That seems a bit insulting. PROPE's been making real games. Just not games that the general public paid much attention to.

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

That seems a bit insulting. PROPE's been making real games. Just not games that the general public paid much attention to.

They've been putting out casual games on casual platforms iPhone, Wii, DS.
Yuji Naka said hes been working on a few HD games for a while now. Those take time. Wii, DS, and iPhone fill that empty void.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

They've been putting out casual games on casual platforms iPhone, Wii, DS.
Yuji Naka said hes been working on a few HD games for a while now. Those take time. Wii, DS, and iPhone fill that empty void.

The "casual" word. See, me and you think differently.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I think that its a very wonderful thing that this concept is finally seeing the light of day and that Naka is doing something major finally. However, I feel that it would not be a good to keep getting upset over what could have been because it is pointless and wastes time and energy. We should all be happy about this game and just look forward to the future, when it comes out. I for one am interested to see what exactly this game will be about and what kind of gameplay its going to have.

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
It's a shame we got stuck with JoD instead of Naka-San's creation. Anyways, I'm interested in this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users