Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dreamcast ports continue

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
SEGA are porting Space Channel 5 part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing, continuing with their 'Dreamcast Revival' thing.

I care about Space Channel 5, i'm happy it's heading to Xbox LiVE and PSN.

I'm just seriously pissed off with this statement from Mr. Haruki Satomi - "We want to enable a new generation of players to experience some of the most celebrated titles our video game history has to offer"

....and thus begs the god damn f*!*ing question, where on Earth is our NiGHTS port?

I know it's a Saturn game but i'm not really quite sure what the sodding hell this community needs to do to for a port. NiGHTS into Dreams IS one of SEGA's most celebrated titles in their history, amongst a selection of others sure, but the love for the original NiGHTS is there.

I can't understand why we get short changed all the bloody time.

Anyways, side tracking aside, commence your joy and elation at the news of more Dreamcast stuff heading your way. Parti-parti ~

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
Damn you, Sega. PORT NiGHTS FOR GODS SAKE! @_@

Uh....yay Space Channel 5 Part 2, nay SEGA Bass Fishing.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
DiGi, I think you're missing a point that all gamers will agree with:

Sega Bass Fishing > NiGHTS, JSR, Soul Calibur, Burning Rangers, Fighters Megamix, Power Stone, Cannon Spike, Shenmue....Well, you see where I'm going with this.

Glaring sarcasm aside, I wonder how they're deciding which games to port? Essentially asking two questions:

1) Who wanted Sega Bass Fishing?
2) Who thought it was a good idea to do SC5 P2 before the original?

Take both questions with a grain of salt as I've not played either game, nor the original SC5.

Hmm, hold the phone a minute... *goes to Wiki*

Sega Bass Fishing: Arcade, Dreamcast, Windows, Wii
Space Channel 5 Part 2: Dreamcast, Playstation 2

...Anyone else here noticing a pattern? So far, the only recent XBLA port of a Dreamcast game that was ONLY previously available on the Dreamcast hardware (I'm counting NAOMI as it's just the arcade version of it) is Virtual On.

Warning: rant below:

I'm willing to throw my PC-port Dreamcast games theory out the window for the moment, but while it is always good to see Sega games get more love, something about this just isn't sitting right with me. Every game ported so far, besides one, was a game that did not remain exclusive to a Sega system. Why port Dreamcast games if you're not going to port the ones that people can't play BESIDES on a Dreamcast? Wouldn't that appeal more to people in the targeted audience? "Hey, here's a game that you haven't been able to buy in stores new since 2003, for a system that is getting increasingly harder to find!" Okay, yes, in the case of Space Channel 5 Part 2, it is a little bit understandable because of the rarity of the game in PAL territories, but why release the second game before you release the first? Even then, the first was indeed ported to PS2 previously, but that would still make more sense from a brand perspective. And just to throw a little bit of NiGHTS in here, if they're porting old and loved Sega games that have had ports to other systems, why not grab the PS2 version of NiGHTS that wasn't even RELEASED outside of Japan? Of course that doesn't fall in line with their Dreamcast revival strategy currently, but come on, it really almost seems like a deliberate blind eye at this point. And I mean no offense to fans of Space Channel 5 at all, I'm glad you're getting something, but can you explain why they'd port the second game over the first?

End rant.

Maybe I should have gone into business management.

Purge

Purge

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:My favorite series are Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jet Set Radio. I like to draw and play games in my free time.
Well I'm certainly not complaining.

As for why they would put the second over the first, I may not have a correct answer, but I'll give it a shot.
How many times was the first Space Channel 5 ported? Twice now. Once for the Ps2 and once for the GBA. How many times was the second ported? Once. Only once. I think that they're trying to show that there's more than just the one game in the series. If it's being released in the UK, it'll be one of the first portings, due to the Michael Jackson scandal in the time if I am correct.

Plus, just between you and me... The first game's a bit overrated compared to the second one. I love both games, but it seems that the first one is only noticed.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

2) Who thought it was a good idea to do SC5 P2 before the original?

... that's a really good point.

I've never played the second game because at the time I didn't own a PS2, so this is good news to me, but I'd be very happy to see the original too so I don't have to drag out my Dreamcast to play the thing.
I kick maximum ass at the original. That is all.

Purge

Purge

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:My favorite series are Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jet Set Radio. I like to draw and play games in my free time.

I can't understand why we get short changed all the bloody time.

I know you're all going to hate me for this, but I can't help but disagree here.

All the Space Channel 5 fanbase GETS are ports of the two games. We never get a new game, just ports.
While I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it makes us feel ripped off.

So while I support you guys wanting a port, don't be too upset if it doesn't happen. Be happy that you guys got a new game in your series. I'm just happy that Sega even remembers us.

Posting about how I'm "missing the point" will only prove my point in this matter. It's not like me to rant about things, Space Channel 5 and NiGHTS in general as they're some of my favorite series, but this is getting ridiculous. And who knows, Sega might hear you yet. We just have to wait and see.

/end rant

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things

I've never played the second game because at the time I didn't own a PS2, so this is good news to me, but I'd be very happy to see the original too so I don't have to drag out my Dreamcast to play the thing.
I kick maximum ass at the original. That is all.

Same 100%

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I agree with Purge that the first SC5 is a bit overrated. The second game had a lot more content and it's controls were a lot less "strict." Also, it's presentation was much more sophisticated. As soon as you reach the first boss fight you know that this one is definitely not like the first.

I agree with Level 99's theory. They will probably not do anything with Dreamcast games themselves and they'll simply keep porting ports. This means we'll probably never see Shenmue pop up in this deal even though a lot of people keep shouting, "WE WAN'T SHENMUE!!" whenever the question of "Which Dreamcast titles do you want to see?" comes up.

I'm beginning to feel the same disappointment for SEGA that I did before this year started. The disappointment that made me question why I even liked a company that has started taking the easy route rather than try their best to put forth quality. It's probably just my fault though. I kept telling myself, "SEGA's changed. Sonic 4's coming and it'll be perfect. Dreamcast games are coming and they'll be perfect." Sucks to be naive, doesn't it?

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

I know you're all going to hate me for this, but I can't help but disagree here.

All the Space Channel 5 fanbase GETS are ports of the two games. We never get a new game, just ports.
While I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it makes us feel ripped off.

So while I support you guys wanting a port, don't be too upset if it doesn't happen. Be happy that you guys got a new game in your series. I'm just happy that Sega even remembers us.

Posting about how I'm "missing the point" will only prove my point in this matter. It's not like me to rant about things, Space Channel 5 and NiGHTS in general as they're some of my favorite series, but this is getting ridiculous. And who knows, Sega might hear you yet. We just have to wait and see.

/end rant

You're completely entitled to your opinion Purge, but I respectfully have to disagree with you. While you say that we should be happy we got a new game in our series, why should we? Journey of Dreams went through development hell and was passed around like a used hanky before it was released, resulting in a sub standard game that should have been so much more. 10 years of waiting for that hurt just a little bit. At least we still have the original game, and we simply want it to be out there for people to easily find and play.

Space Channel 5 was a fantastic game, and I'm pleased to see that it's getting a re-release. Why they're releasing the second before the first is anyone's guess, but hell, and least you have a sequel that is better than the first : P.

Sometimes it feels like SEGA are dangling a carrot on a stick in front of this fanbase, but we just don't know what it takes it finally reach it. They give us nods and winks here and there, we go out of our way to make sure they still realise we're here, we contact original developers, get their approvroval, and then they go and release SEGA Bass Fishing. Wow, I bet you there was huge fan demand for that.

It just hurts sometimes. If it wasn't for all of us here right now, NiGHTS would almost certainly be forgotten completely.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
At first, I was really glad to hear that SC5 P2 was getting a re-release. A quirky, underrated SEGA classic that could do with another release. Alongside the other Dreamcast ports over the last couple years I was ready to say they were on the upswing, finally.

But Sega Bass Fishing? Really?

Don't get me wrong, the game is fun. Loads of fun. But what made it fun was the motion controls and accurate controller six years before Nintendo whitewashed waggle into the mainstream. Similar to Samba De Amigo (I'm still seriously upset by the Wii port's abhorrent lack of precision). A Wii port made sense. A PSN/XBLA port that uses the standard controller does not...unless they're planning on seriously rewriting the controls hardcore to take advantage of either Move or Kinect. I can almost guarantee they won't. So who decided that Bass Fishing would be the next port? I really want to know.

There was some hope, I thought. Radiant Silvergun was announced and is coming soon. A Saturn port, finally, opening the door to let others step in! But wait...

The new version features online co-op, upgraded graphics, and a new "Ikaruga" mode.

src: http://www.joystiq.c...hining-on-xbla/

So much for it being an actual "port." This is Treasure taking the original game and rewriting it entirely for this generation of hardware. By the time they're done I'm willing to bet less than 5% of the original code will be intact, if that.

Virtual-On. Soul Calibur. Crazy Taxi. Sonic Adventure. SC5 P2. Bass Fishing. These are all dreamcast games that'll be on XBLA/PSN. Every one of them was critically acclaimed and commercially successful (relatively) in their heyday. So where's NiGHTS in all of this? Oh, right. We're on Dreamcast Cloud Nine, Channel Five right now.

If you want to keep with your Dreamcast thinking right now, then go find the code to Air NiGHTS buried somewhere deep in the decrepit Win2000 servers in the Sonic Team's basement and let a small, upcoming studio take to the sky, building on the advantages that this new half-generation of hardware has to offer. Maybe then I won't get so grumpy and upset over all this.

/rant.

P.S. They probably chose Part 2 over part 1 because of all the posthumous Michael Jackson hype that's building right now. Push the game where he has a bigger role than a cameo, score more sales on people willing to pay $15 to see a "new" MJ performance, profit.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Hey, no. You're entitled to that opinion and i partly figured you of all people would find something wrong with what i've said. But Jof raises some good points, your sequel was handled with care. You even claim it's better than the first Space Channel 5. This community was not dealt the same cards, Journey of Dreams while having some nice points BOMBED because it was rushed, it was treated utterly disgracefully during development and when released they're wondering why nobody is buying it.

But think about it from this point of view, Purge. If this community wasn't here, what would have been happening with NiGHTS in recent years? Well ...nothing. That ASR campaign where we kicked up a fuss, Space Channel 5 was getting the love thanks to SEGA saying 'ok' to Ulala being in the game (i know you wanted Purge of course, i understand but still) but where the hell was the SEGA Saturns mascot? Not included. Removed. Deleted. We had to fight tooth and nail just to get a cameo. As far as i can see with Space Channel 5 nobody has ever had to really do anything for the series from a fans perspective, you've all just had to play a huge waiting game for things to happen. But for NiGHTS fans, since Journey of Dreams released we as a community have had to start being verbally present for anything NiGHTS related to happen.

So now we're sitting in a Dreamcast Revival and i'll be the first to say i'm glad to see it's happening, i loved the Dreamcast. What throws me off was the bullshit statement that Mr. Satomi made where they claim they've been listening to the communities on which games they should be bringing back. They'll know yet again this community has gone through thick and thin to get them to just acknowledge NiGHTS, let alone port the game. I sometimes wonder if they're honestly taking the piss with us.

So i'm happy Space Chanel 5 Part 2 is coming, i've wanted to play it (partly because you always held the game in high regards and it made me curious), but when it comes down to NiGHTS i can honestly tell you right now we're having to work our arses off just to keep him in the light. It hurts a little to read a bullshit statement like that from SEGA, especially when you're pushing a petition to the scale that we have. That's all.

Again, i'm happy with the Dreamcast Revival (not so much SEGA Bass Fishing), but if they really don't get to a Saturn Revival with NiGHTS being the first game out of the gates then that will be a nail in the coffin for me.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
*bump*
Does anyone know when Space Channel 5 part 2 is supposed to be coming out on XBLA? I know it initially was supposed to come out at the same time as the Dreamcast Collection, which I never bought because it's the only title I want... but apparently was delayed?

I just looked up some news posts from April saying it should be out in late summer... which is to say around now. Has anyone heard anything?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. seems like Guardian Heroes and SC5P2 both got pushed to October- http://www.siliconer...t-2-in-october/

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
http://blogs.sega.co...ates-confirmed/

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
And of course we probably all know this by now but- http://blogs.sega.co...uess-whos-back/

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
I'm going to go ahead and fantasize about it becoming a top-seller and Sega deciding to make another JSR game...

Since I own the DC version, I won't be getting the XBLA version unless it's De La Jet Set Radio. And if it is, I'll be all over it.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I already own Jet Grind Radio on the Dreamcast but I'm still excited that the game's coming back out. I'm even thinking about buying it again just because I love the game so much. And Nemiode, I too will share that fantasy with you. Aside from there being no new Jet Set Radio games there's also a painful absence of any kind of aggressive inline game this generation. Skateboarding is fun and all but I think developers could pay more attention to the other street based extreme activities like they used to.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I'm in the same boat as Nemoide. With Sega trying to reverse their image (at least with Sonic) as of late, JSR doing well could gave some nice potential. I would love to see an HD, fleshed out Tokyo-to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users