Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My own Video Cassette format!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Auto-Fox

Auto-Fox

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yes, my latest obsession is old analog video cassette formats. I've created my own, on paper, and it's very technical and such. I have no idea if it would actually work, since I'm neither an engineer nor an electronics expert.
But, here it is. My competitor the VHS and Betamax that never was.

Name: Magnetic Video Cassette (MVC).
Type: Helical-scan magnetic-tape video cassette format.
Tape Information: Single-reel cassette, capable of holding up to eight-hours worth of 1/2 inch magnetic tape. Capable of recording and playing back 300-line color video, linear stereophonic/quadraphonic sound and miscellaneous digital information.
The tape is wound around the single internal reel, with the end attached to a small metal bar that is kept in a recess on the outside of the tape. To learn why, looked below.
Cassette also includes a built-in anti-static brush and refillable "wet-type" cleaning head, in order to keep the tape in good condition.
Recorder/Player information: A cassette is placed into the machine, constituting one reel of a two-reel system. The take-up reel is built into the machine. To thread the tape, a simple mechanical swing-arm catches the metal bar attached to the end of the tape, pulls it over the read/record head, and clicks it into a catch on the take-up reel.
Once the tape is fully threaded, it remains so for all operations. This allows for faster mechanical response times, allowing for a faster activation of the pause and record functions.
A piezoelectric crystal, controlled by signals encoded onto the tape, is mounted under the head and keeps it in near-perfect alignment at all times, dispensing with manual tracking, and allowing for a noise-free picture during rewind and freeze-frame. This idea is swiped from the European Video 2000 format players.
Also, all moving parts are controlled by a single drive motor and belt. This allows for near-perfect synchronization between tape reel and head rotation.
Advantages: A relatively uncomplicated mechanical design, which would have been cheaper to make than those used in early VHS and Betamax machines. Same goes for the cassettes.
Disadvantages: Tape must be fully rewound before being ejected. This would require viewers to watch an entire tape in one sitting, or leave the tape threaded in the machine while they took breaks, not allowing others to watch or record other material in the meantime. This could be solved, however, by a "Time Index Memory" system. VCRs could "remember" the last few tapes that were played in them (via a serial number encoded at the beginning of every tape), as well as the time-index when they were stopped. Then, when the tape was reinserted, it could be fast-forward to exactly the time index where it left off.
Another problem is, simple as the mechanical systems of the player are, they aren't exactly conducive to miniaturization without a lot of headaches. Thus, camcorder use would not be terribly practical.

So, yes, there it is. Tell me, do you think this would have kicked ass back in the early '80s?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
A few things:
threading the tape = more likely to wear out over time
automatic threading things can be dangerous
the "Time Index Memory" concept would probably have been very expensive/difficult in the early 80s
I believe the built-in cleaning system would raise the cost of cassette production

I don't even know! This is a pretty strange post, dude! I wasn't even alive in the early 80s. And even though I use magnetic tape sometimes, I think it's generally a lousy format.
But you should probably look into becoming an engineer if you do this sort of thing for fun.

Auto-Fox

Auto-Fox

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Yeah, it is a pretty weird post. But, I needed to get this thing out of my head. I know magnetic tape isn't exactly the best format in the world, but, I collect VHS, I'm mostly in it for the experience.
Anyway, the self-cleaning feature wouldn't be hard to implement in the cassettes. It'd basically just be a cloth pad you could dab cleaning solution onto when the picture was looking a little shabby. It would clean the tape as it played.
The whole "self-threading" mechanism isn't quite as far-fetched as it sounds, believe it or not. One of the first home video formats, EVR, used one. Basically, it was a film strip that was drawn past a scanner and shown on a TV screen, but it used a reel-to-reel system with one reel for the content and a take-up reel inside the machine.
Problem was, the self-threading system was a bit complicated and jammed easily as a result. My system uses just one motion to thread the tape, not much to go wrong or wear out.
I dunno, there are probably a million problems I haven't foreseen.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I adore VHS. Unfortunately, my understanding of the technical aspect is minimal. Your tape sounds pretty effective; almost like if VHS hadn't given way directly to DVD and had a medium format. This might be a strange question, but how big would it be? The size of a regular VHS, the size of a Beta tape, or some other size?

Auto-Fox

Auto-Fox

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
It would basically be squarish in shape, about the thickness of a VHS cassette, but wider and squarer. There probably wouldn't be a window on it to see the tape, since it would have to be rewound completely before coming out of the machine anyway (and thus you wouldn't have to check how much tape was on the reel). My closest guess would be that it would look something like an old 8-track tape.
I'm glad you like the idea, though! I'm thinking of talking to some of my engineering student friends at the college about it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users