Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What makes plushie a plushie?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.
Right, so I'm in the making of a NiGHTS plushie. My very first plush, mind you. It's fun, though there are little bugs popping up here and there, so I have to fix my pattern as I go...
He's currently just a floating head, and he stares at me with those beady little eyes of his - my guess is that he wants his PaPRTCH body done quickly. It must be quite uncomfortable to be a lone floating head.

But anyway, while making it, I wondered - what it is exactly that makes a good plushie? What are materials people use - apart from felt and fleece? How well different fabrics mix, and the like...
And also, how do people come up with patterns in the first place? :mellow:

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
coming up with patterns? Trial and error.
One of my faves in terms of coming up with a design is using construction paper and sewing your pattern with that, then stuffing it to get a brief idea of what it will look like... then if you like, transfer to fabric.
Otherwise, see what others are doing. Most of it comes from what you'd like to achieve when making a plush.. I don't know as there is a "successful formula" for plush making.

But I do encourage you to post progress pics of what you're working on :mellow:

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.

One of my faves in terms of coming up with a design is using construction paper and sewing your pattern with that, then stuffing it to get a brief idea of what it will look like... then if you like, transfer to fabric.

Oh, I used a similar technique then =) Only that I made a plasticine model, then carefully wrapped it in thin layer of tissue paper, and then made a draft patterns. The head look okay as of now, although I would need to improve NiGHTS's face and collar.

As for the WIP photos, I'm afraid that the only capturing device I have is a web-cam, and I know all too well how bad photos ruin the impression =( I can try, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users