Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Does anyone actually like JoD better?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I'm a bit nervous to ask this, but does anyone here actually like JoD better than NiD? I have played NiD, Christmas NiGHTS, and the remake for the PS2 recently. Sadly, since I don't have a Saturn and I don't want to try hacking my PS2 to play a Japanese game, I have to use emulators. Now, those of you that have played things on emulators would know that they can be extremely laggy. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's just because of the lag I face playing NiD, or because of having to use a keyboard instead of a controller, or any of the other problems I have with emulators, but playing both, I find I like JoD much better. Granted, I do notice some screwups that they probably could have fixed, but I seem to like it more than NiD for whatever reasons. Now, I know most and probably all fans besides me like NiD better or haven't tried NiD so they don't know which they like better. Now, please try not to kill/hurt me even if you think I'm insane for liking the sequel better. Now, the question is, does anyone else like JoD better than NiD? (I know that I'm probably going to get hurt by someone for this way of thinking, but I can't help that I think this way. ><)

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
It's not a bad question at all, you'll find that there are a good few people who like JoD more than NiD for whatever reasons. Everyone has their own tastes ^_^

MORRiS1113

MORRiS1113

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Gaming. Video's, Cinematography. among to many other things to mention. probably in the same catagory
its not hard to admit. and im sorry if i offend any old school NiGHTS fans for my position
but i too was a great nights fan back when he was on the saturn, and i have the saturn and game to prove it.

but Journey of Dreams is an All around way better game then the last one. not many of the fans want to acknowledge
that because of the nostalgia the first one was and probably because they expected the world in the long awaited sequel
and didn't get it. ill explain why Journey of Dreams is better, Note, when i say better. that doesn't at all mean the first game is
bad. cuz its not, its still one of my favorites of all time. and always will be. but am i just gonna fallow the cult followers and choose it over JoD only because it didn't meet THEY'RE Expectations and label it a bad and unworthy sequel? NO!

first off, the 1st game had 6 levels, JoD has about 32 or more IF NOT 32
you could complain that most of the 32 levels are just the same thing like fallowing Octopaw etc, but that's a pointless argument considering the first one had only 6 levels of Exactly the same thing. fallowing that complaint would be the score system which is still there, the game is just more merciful which is probably for the better, but the overall rules haven't changed. you still need a C or better.

the score for JoD is likely and i can be quoted on this, probably the best video game OST that I've picked up, every piece in this soundtrack is memorable and not at all dull, the first one shares this too, so it can go either way, but SEGA was never a company to produce anything other then the absolute best they could get out of a game. JoD just has a larger Library, not counting all the remixes and special scores the first one got.

we all know NiGHTS for the most part is Genderless but referred to as a MALE, but i never minded his voice, and that's probably because i grew up liking MEGAMAN, and if you've played Megaman 8 or X4, then you'll know his voice was also young. cant really complain there but even I admit, when NiGHTS spoke with that voice for the first time, i was caught off guard and managed to udder the words "THE HELL!?"

Character development, is much better this time around. Elliot and Clarise are awesome, but aside from Elliot's love for Basket Ball and Clarise's goal to be the next Twin Seeds Idol, not to much is explained, other then the obvious of what u see happening in their individual scenes, as opposed to JoD when they go to a new world or nightopia they explain why it looks the way it does, how it effected then in their life and why they love it, and they mention their parents often, even Reala and Wizeman have more screen time. but ive gone on too long.

ONE MORE THING. i dont know about you, but im not alone here, in believing that the end song Dreams Dreams that was sung by the children in the first game... THOSE KIDS BUTCHERED THAT SONG. it was so laughably bad. but in JoD those kids have Talent. anyway. im out.

Edit: i don't wanna come off sounding like the guy who makes fun of the original fans, cuz i too am one of them. but i wanna say that I've chatted with many original NiGHTS fans, and they're reasons for disliking JoD were worthy of calling B.S

But if you have your reasons for believing the first is better, THAT'S ALL FINE AND GREAT. and for whatever reasons doesn't make it any less reasonable then mine for believing the second is superior. everyone has a different outlook on things. so feel free to agree to disagree,

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

It's not a bad question at all, you'll find that there are a good few people who like JoD more than NiD for whatever reasons. Everyone has their own tastes ^_^

Thanks. Usually when I say I don't really like something that most others seem to like, I get attacked by people, usually rabid fans. Thank you TRiPPY. ^^ I still can't believe I got a response from you. :P

its not hard to admit. and im sorry if i offend any old school NiGHTS fans for my position
but i too was a great nights fan back when he was on the saturn, and i have the saturn and game to prove it.

but Journey of Dreams is an All around way better game then the last one. not many of the fans want to acknowledge
that because of the nostalgia the first one was and probably because they expected the world in the long awaited sequel
and didn't get it. ill explain why Journey of Dreams is better, Note, when i say better. that doesn't at all mean the first game is
bad. cuz its not, its still one of my favorites of all time. and always will be. but am i just gonna fallow the cult followers and choose it over JoD only because it didn't meet THEY'RE Expectations and label it a bad and unworthy sequel? NO!

first off, the 1st game had 6 levels, JoD has about 32 or more IF NOT 32
you could complain that most of the 32 levels are just the same thing like fallowing Octopaw etc, but that's a pointless argument considering the first one had only 6 levels of Exactly the same thing. fallowing that complaint would be the score system which is still there, the game is just more merciful which is probably for the better, but the overall rules haven't changed. you still need a C or better.

the score for JoD is likely and i can be quoted on this, probably the best video game OST that I've picked up, every piece in this soundtrack is memorable and not at all dull, the first one shares this too, so it can go either way, but SEGA was never a company to produce anything other then the absolute best they could get out of a game. JoD just has a larger Library, not counting all the remixes and special scores the first one got.

we all know NiGHTS for the most part is Genderless but referred to as a MALE, but i never minded his voice, and that's probably because i grew up liking MEGAMAN, and if you've played Megaman 8 or X4, then you'll know his voice was also young. cant really complain there but even I admit, when NiGHTS spoke with that voice for the first time, i was caught off guard and managed to udder the words "THE HELL!?"

Character development, is much better this time around. Elliot and Clarise are awesome, but aside from Elliot's love for Basket Ball and Clarise's goal to be the next Twin Seeds Idol, not to much is explained, other then the obvious of what u see happening in their individual scenes, as opposed to JoD when they go to a new world or nightopia they explain why it looks the way it does, how it effected then in their life and why they love it, and they mention their parents often, even Reala and Wizeman have more screen time. but ive gone on too long.

ONE MORE THING. i dont know about you, but im not alone here, in believing that the end song Dreams Dreams that was sung by the children in the first game... THOSE KIDS BUTCHERED THAT SONG. it was so laughably bad. but in JoD those kids have Talent. anyway. im out.

Edit: i don't wanna come off sounding like the guy who makes fun of the original fans, cuz i too am one of them. but i wanna say that I've chatted with many original NiGHTS fans, and they're reasons for disliking JoD were worthy of calling B.S

But if you have your reasons for believing the first is better, THAT'S ALL FINE AND GREAT. and for whatever reasons doesn't make it any less reasonable then mine for believing the second is superior. everyone has a different outlook on things. so feel free to agree to disagree,

Thank you. I'm glad that there's someone who agrees. Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying NiD was a bad game either, I just liked JoD much better. I probably would like NiD better if I could actually play it like it was meant to be played, but I still would probably like JoD better. I guess here are my reasons.

-First of all, I usually like underappreciated games very much and I have seen very poor reviews for this game with BS/no reasons stated.

-I do agree with all of your reasons. I wasn't caught off guard with NiGHTS voice though because I had never played the original until recently. (I do admit that the girl that did the original "Dreams Dreams" did redeem herself with the Sweet Snow version. XD)

-I guess part of the reason I like JoD better is Helen. I do have a bit more of a soft spot for her than any other dreamer because she is very similar to me. We're both blonde violin players that usually spend more time with friends than with mom.

-I never really tried the Wiimote control scheme because it was a bit hard to move around, but I don't find the Knunchuck controls difficult at all, unlike some people. Granted, when I first tried, I was a bit out of control and kept going up and down trying to center myself, but after a few minutes, I learned how to move NiGHTS around with ease.

-Sometimes I do find Owl a tad annoying, but he is not the worst tutorial character I've seen. I mean, when I was younger, I wanted to see Omochao die, so I would throw him into things/shoot him/send him flying into space. And don't even get me started on Navi... >.>

-I don't know about most people, but NiGHTS and Reala look better in my opinion in JoD than in NiD. And I'm not saying that just based on the graphics of the game. I do like the character designs better. Don't ask me why, because I don't exactly know why myself.

-I think the voice acting is pretty good and certainly not the worst I've ever heard. (Helen did irk me a bit by the way she said fragile, but it's still good.)

-The story is nice and made this one of the few video games to actually make me cry. (other examples being SA2/SA2B, Shadow the Hedgehog, Disgaea, and a few others.)

-This has been one of the few games so far that I've actually been able to beat my brother at. XD He sometimes even asked for my help. :D (I haven't played against him in NiD, but I would probably be better than him in that too.)

-I like how they offset the constant use of male pronouns for NiGHTS with the femine look and female voice actor. (I'm not sure if they intended it to be this way, but I still like it.)

-It's for a system that I actually own. XD I never owned a Saturn and I hate how many games won't be put on the Wii, because I don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360. >< I'm glad this is a Wii exclusive title. :D

That's it that I can think about at the moment. I think that whatever fans of the original should not degrade JoD and instead appreciate that SEGA even made a sequel, because it's usually rare that big companies will listen to fan demand. SEGA does love NiGHTS very much and probably rushed the game a bit to be able to give the fans a game they waited 11 years for. I mean, NiGHTS made cameos in practically every Sonic game from his creation until his sequel. He even appeared as a flagman due to fan demand. I'm not sure if I would want NiGHTS to appear as a DLC though, because NiGHTS does look quite awkward when not flying, as shown in the Sonic Riders series. I don't think NiGHTS would exactly be one to race in a car/bike/whatever else they have in that game. I'm glad that JoD exists because otherwise, the only way I really knew him was seeing his cameos in my Sonic games. (namely SA/SADX and SA2/SA2B) NiGHTS has been a big inspiration for me, and I think he's the one that helped me start doing the things I should have been doing to make me a better person. (When I first saw JoD though, it kinda reminded me of Peter Pan. XD)
I, to tell the truth, haven't really played JoD recently, but I have been playing NiGHTS all the time in SEGA Superstars Tennis that I rented from Gamefly. I should probably stop typing and maybe get back to playing NiD on my emulator. XD NiD is a good game, and yes I think JoD is better, but why I'm playing NiD more is because I already completed JoD. I got it the day after Christmas last year and completed it, all A ranks and Dreams Drops at New Year's Eve. It took 5 days and 25 hours of playing, But I beat it. And it's the first game I ever got all A ranks in. (the only other one being Shadow the Hedgehog. I think by now, most of you can probably tell that my two favorite SEGA characters are NiGHTS and Shadow. XD) Anyway, I think I'm fan ranting again, (Which I do really well.) so I think I'll end this post here. Hopefully there are others around that won't be afraid to admit that they like JoD better. ^^

MORRiS1113

MORRiS1113

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Gaming. Video's, Cinematography. among to many other things to mention. probably in the same catagory

Thanks. Usually when I say I don't really like something that most others seem to like, I get attacked by people, usually rabid fans. Thank you TRiPPY. ^^ I still can't believe I got a response from you. ^_^

Thank you. I'm glad that there's someone who agrees. Don't get me wrong though, I am not saying NiD was a bad game either, I just liked JoD much better. I probably would like NiD better if I could actually play it like it was meant to be played, but I still would probably like JoD better. I guess here are my reasons.

-First of all, I usually like underappreciated games very much and I have seen very poor reviews for this game with BS/no reasons stated.

-I do agree with all of your reasons. I wasn't caught off guard with NiGHTS voice though because I had never played the original until recently. (I do admit that the girl that did the original "Dreams Dreams" did redeem herself with the Sweet Snow version. XD)

-I guess part of the reason I like JoD better is Helen. I do have a bit more of a soft spot for her than any other dreamer because she is very similar to me. We're both blonde violin players that usually spend more time with friends than with mom.

-I never really tried the Wiimote control scheme because it was a bit hard to move around, but I don't find the Knunchuck controls difficult at all, unlike some people. Granted, when I first tried, I was a bit out of control and kept going up and down trying to center myself, but after a few minutes, I learned how to move NiGHTS around with ease.

-Sometimes I do find Owl a tad annoying, but he is not the worst tutorial character I've seen. I mean, when I was younger, I wanted to see Omochao die, so I would throw him into things/shoot him/send him flying into space. And don't even get me started on Navi... >.>

-I don't know about most people, but NiGHTS and Reala look better in my opinion in JoD than in NiD. And I'm not saying that just based on the graphics of the game. I do like the character designs better. Don't ask me why, because I don't exactly know why myself.

-I think the voice acting is pretty good and certainly not the worst I've ever heard. (Helen did irk me a bit by the way she said fragile, but it's still good.)

-The story is nice and made this one of the few video games to actually make me cry. (other examples being SA2/SA2B, Shadow the Hedgehog, Disgaea, and a few others.)

-This has been one of the few games so far that I've actually been able to beat my brother at. XD He sometimes even asked for my help. :P (I haven't played against him in NiD, but I would probably be better than him in that too.)

-I like how they offset the constant use of male pronouns for NiGHTS with the femine look and female voice actor. (I'm not sure if they intended it to be this way, but I still like it.)

-It's for a system that I actually own. XD I never owned a Saturn and I hate how many games won't be put on the Wii, because I don't own a PS3 or Xbox 360. >< I'm glad this is a Wii exclusive title. :D

That's it that I can think about at the moment. I think that whatever fans of the original should not degrade JoD and instead appreciate that SEGA even made a sequel, because it's usually rare that big companies will listen to fan demand. SEGA does love NiGHTS very much and probably rushed the game a bit to be able to give the fans a game they waited 11 years for. I mean, NiGHTS made cameos in practically every Sonic game from his creation until his sequel. He even appeared as a flagman due to fan demand. I'm not sure if I would want NiGHTS to appear as a DLC though, because NiGHTS does look quite awkward when not flying, as shown in the Sonic Riders series. I don't think NiGHTS would exactly be one to race in a car/bike/whatever else they have in that game. I'm glad that JoD exists because otherwise, the only way I really knew him was seeing his cameos in my Sonic games. (namely SA/SADX and SA2/SA2B) NiGHTS has been a big inspiration for me, and I think he's the one that helped me start doing the things I should have been doing to make me a better person. (When I first saw JoD though, it kinda reminded me of Peter Pan. XD)
I, to tell the truth, haven't really played JoD recently, but I have been playing NiGHTS all the time in SEGA Superstars Tennis that I rented from Gamefly. I should probably stop typing and maybe get back to playing NiD on my emulator. XD NiD is a good game, and yes I think JoD is better, but why I'm playing NiD more is because I already completed JoD. I got it the day after Christmas last year and completed it, all A ranks and Dreams Drops at New Year's Eve. It took 5 days and 25 hours of playing, But I beat it. And it's the first game I ever got all A ranks in. (the only other one being Shadow the Hedgehog. I think by now, most of you can probably tell that my two favorite SEGA characters are NiGHTS and Shadow. XD) Anyway, I think I'm fan ranting again, (Which I do really well.) so I think I'll end this post here. Hopefully there are others around that won't be afraid to admit that they like JoD better. ^^

thats a nice read. but thats my story and im stickin to it. not saying JoD is perfect, it too has issues like the graphical errors like Owl's feathers in his face twitch often and Nights's cubed fingers make for an eyesore in the last scene when he reaches for Will's and Helen's hands.

and im amazed you got that unstable emulator to work XD

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I like both games equally. But, here are the things I like more in JoD:

- I like Wizeman NiGHTS' looks more in JoD.
- I like Bellbridge more than Twinseeds.
- As was said before, the kids made a mockery of Dreams Dreams in NiD. JoD's vocalists are far, far better. (Though I prefer Dreams Dreams adult version from 96)
- I like the Dream Gate more than the black screen.
- I like being able to interact with the Pians without worrying about an evil ringing egg.
- I like having multiple types of gameplay. (Though NiD's missions are superior to JoD's chasing the bird.)
- Crystal Castle Memory Forest~

While JoD gets a lot of complaints, it's not because the game itself is actually bad, it's becuase people wish it had more to it. In and of itself, yes, joD has faults, but so does NiD. They're both very good games.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

thats a nice read. but thats my story and im stickin to it. not saying JoD is perfect, it too has issues like the graphical errors like Owl's feathers in his face twitch often and Nights's cubed fingers make for an eyesore in the last scene when he reaches for Will's and Helen's hands.

and im amazed you got that unstable emulator to work XD

I'm surprised myself, considering I had never used an emulator until, like, a few days ago when I decided to try NiD. I first got the Saturn emulator and tried NiD and Christmas NiGHTS, both of which I liked, but the Saturn emulator is extremely laggy, making it almost impossible to get through a level, even more so if you're trying to get a good score. The music didn't really lag though. Then I got the PS2 emulator and tried the Japanese remake of NiD, which lagged a lot less in graphics so I was actually able to complete it. It lagged a lot more with the music though. The framerate for me, even when using speed hacks for the emulator, will only go at about half speed at best. (The lowest it's gone is about 10 per second, which is about 1/6 speed. Makes it kinda hard to play. XD) Plus, it has the option to play the graphic updated version and the original, which is good. I usually play the graphic update, but sometimes I switch to the original, usually because it lags slightly less. XD It's good that the Japanese version doesn't have too much Japanese. Only for the saving pretty much, so I can play the game easily without being able to read Japanese. XD NiGHTS' cubed finger I think is partially because NiGHTS has gloves. Notice how some gloves will make your fingers look a bit square? It's the same thing there. I do agree that they could have worked on Owl's design a little better, but he's a tutorial character, so he doesn't matter too much.

I like both games equally. But, here are the things I like more in JoD:

- I like Wizeman NiGHTS' looks more in JoD.
- I like Bellbridge more than Twinseeds.
- As was said before, the kids made a mockery of Dreams Dreams in NiD. JoD's vocalists are far, far better. (Though I prefer Dreams Dreams adult version from 96)
- I like the Dream Gate more than the black screen.
- I like being able to interact with the Pians without worrying about an evil ringing egg.
- I like having multiple types of gameplay. (Though NiD's missions are superior to JoD's chasing the bird.)
- Crystal Castle Memory Forest~

While JoD gets a lot of complaints, it's not because the game itself is actually bad, it's becuase people wish it had more to it. In and of itself, yes, joD has faults, but so does NiD. They're both very good games.

I do agree that they are both very good games, and I do agree with basically everything you like about JoD. And my love for them is pretty close, but I do admit I like JoD better. Again, my love for NiD would probably be more if I could play it on an actual system instead of by emulator, but the emulator is a decent substitute for the time being. (At least until they possible port it for the newer systems, but all we can do is hope.) I also agree that they both have their faults, but to me whatever faults I find are too minor for me to make a big deal about. I do know that JoD typically gets complaints because of what people were expecting and didn't get, but they should be happy that NiGHTS got a sequel because otherwise, all we would get is the cameos in many of Sonic's games. His cameos do show though that SEGA does love NiGHTS enough to make him cameo many times in their most popular game series. Not many other SEGA series (If any others.) have that right. XD

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

it's usually rare that big companies will listen to fan demand. SEGA does love NiGHTS very much and probably rushed the game a bit to be able to give the fans a game they waited 11 years for.

Unfortunately JoD was not a case of SEGA listening to fan demand or demand in general. All that nice 'listening' stuff happened after JoD came out. The reason the game was rushed was because they knew it wouldn't sell well and shifted it to the Wii half way through development time because they knew the Wii was a popular console, especialy with children, who this game was aimed at. I'm not being nasty, it's the honest truth, i wish it wasn't >_> JoD deserved to have more time, money and attention put into it for it to be a fully successful sequel to the Saturn original.

I'm always going to prefer NiD over JoD personally, but I do agree that a lot of things were done better in JoD that I loved the pants offa. It's a shame that some kinda combi experience could not be created of the good points from both games to make it more agreeable to everyone XD I think people bash it too much, but at the same time i think a lot of people feel forced to find something they like about it sometimes. It should come naturaly. The NiGHTS fanbase is a hell of a lot easier to please than the Sonic fanbase since there was only ever 1.5 games. Most of us have the same general thoughts on aspects of JoD that went well and didn't go so well. People who say the game is 100% bad are lying to themselves a bit i think. There were parts i found myself enjoying.

MORRiS1113

MORRiS1113

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Unfortunately JoD was not a case of SEGA listening to fan demand or demand in general. All that nice 'listening' stuff happened after JoD came out. The reason the game was rushed was because they knew it wouldn't sell well and shifted it to the Wii half way through development time because they knew the Wii was a popular console, especialy with children, who this game was aimed at. I'm not being nasty, it's the honest truth, i wish it wasn't >_> JoD deserved to have more time, money and attention put into it for it to be a fully successful sequel to the Saturn original.

I'm always going to prefer NiD over JoD personally, but I do agree that a lot of things were done better in JoD that I loved the pants offa. It's a shame that some kinda combi experience could not be created of the good points from both games to make it more agreeable to everyone XD I think people bash it too much, but at the same time i think a lot of people feel forced to find something they like about it sometimes. It should come naturaly. The NiGHTS fanbase is a hell of a lot easier to please than the Sonic fanbase since there was only ever 1.5 games. Most of us have the same general thoughts on aspects of JoD that went well and didn't go so well. People who say the game is 100% bad are lying to themselves a bit i think. There were parts i found myself enjoying.

its intention probably, but i look at it as a whole and not for who its intended for, it may be, NiGHTS into dreams was just 1 game for 11 years so there wasn't a large standard to fallow aside from the basic flying through rings which is here now.
and Sega probably made a good call in the end to make this game for kids, as i said in my other TOPIC, The Wii back then was considered a family friendly console which it is, and the NiGHTS game has been dormant for over ten years, and aside from us the cult followers which may be a big number to us, but not to Sega being they have to make money off this. Parents and kids would go to the store, look at this game, and consider it just another family made game for the wii, to be clear, i would find it hard to believe that everyone would remember NiGHTS into Dreams, aside from the small crowd which owned a Sega Saturn, Lets go back in time. like many people back then, including myself. not everyone could afford more then one video game console at a time, the prices were expensive, especially on Sega's end.
so we do have to take into consideration what Sega's dealing with. they cant always afford to please cult followers as much as we would like, they may throw a bone to us every once in a while like with Sega Superstars Racing, at least he's in it. but it doesn't mean Sega's forgotten us either.

more then likely because before we're NiGHTS fans, we're the first generation of Sega fans who probably had their Megadrive(Genesis) and stuck with them to the end. so of course we're on their nice list.

but in short, you shouldn't have to force yourself to like JoD, it should come naturally and the nostalgia is still there,
id bet if anyone put the thoughts out of mind that it wasn't made how they wanted, and looked at the game as a whole and for what it is. they'd find its a great and worthy successor to its predecessor.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Well, they probably listened to demand at least somewhat, because without fan demand at all, NiGHTS may have never had a sequel. I guess I could understand why the game was aimed at children, because it would probably be easier to lure children into a game like that than it would trying to get teenagers or adults to buy it. I do agree that they may have wanted to spend a bit more time with trying to make it great, but it's still one of the best games I have ever played. Well, maybe if SEGA learns what us fans liked about both and disliked about both, then whenever another NiGHTS sequel comes out, they can try to make it perfect. It's nice to know not every fan of the original bashes JoD too much. One thing I hated was I saw a review of it once that said only die-hard fans of the original would like it, but that's totally not true as proven by me. XD I mean, I was obsessed with JoD at least 2 months before I actually got it, and I had never played the original until at least 8 months after that. Even then, I liked JoD better, so that was completely wrong and this game certainly deserves more respect than it gets. I saw someone say around here that you will probably one day buy the rights to NiGHTS. I'm not sure if that will happen too soon, but I'm sure if you did, you could probably make a game that all NiGHTS fans can enjoy and find very few flaws with. :D

its intention probably, but i look at it as a whole and not for who its intended for, it may be, NiGHTS into dreams was just 1 game for 11 years so there wasn't a large standard to fallow aside from the basic flying through rings which is here now.
and Sega probably made a good call in the end to make this game for kids, as i said in my other TOPIC, The Wii back then was considered a family friendly console which it is, and the NiGHTS game has been dormant for over ten years, and aside from us the cult followers which may be a big number to us, but not to Sega being they have to make money off this. Parents and kids would go to the store, look at this game, and consider it just another family made game for the wii, to be clear, i would find it hard to believe that everyone would remember NiGHTS into Dreams, aside from the small crowd which owned a Sega Saturn, Lets go back in time. like many people back then, including myself. not everyone could afford more then one video game console at a time, the prices were expensive, especially on Sega's end.
so we do have to take into consideration what Sega's dealing with. they cant always afford to please cult followers as much as we would like, they may throw a bone to us every once in a while like with Sega Superstars Racing, at least he's in it. but it doesn't mean Sega's forgotten us either.

more then likely because before we're NiGHTS fans, we're the first generation of Sega fans who probably had their Megadrive(Genesis) and stuck with them to the end. so of course we're on their nice list.

but in short, you shouldn't have to force yourself to like JoD, it should come naturally and the nostalgia is still there,
id bet if anyone put the thoughts out of mind that it wasn't made how they wanted, and looked at the game as a whole and for what it is. they'd find its a great and worthy successor to its predecessor.

Of course. I mean, SEGA probably knew that they wouldn't make much money off of this game, so what reason besides fan demand would they have for bringing back a game that had been dormant for 11 years prior? This gets me thinking about a comment that I saw before that they're trying to replace Sonic with NiGHTS. I find this hard to believe, but that would be a decent explanation for why NiGHTS cameos in many Sonic games. I am a huge fan of SEGA since I've been playing Sonic games since before I ever owned a console. The only other series I played besides Sonic on my computer back then was Jumpstart. XD With all the game series that I've played, my favorite 2 have come from SEGA. I mean, I want an Xbox 360/PS3 if only to be able to play all the Sonic games since some are not available to the Wii. One thing I have to say though, is out of all the game series that I've played, NiGHTS is the one that has never disappointed me in any way. Even if there are some graphical flaws and other such things, I was never truely disappointed in it. Now NiGHTS is basically my favorite video game character and I have seen all his cameos and hope to eventually own every game he's in. XD

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I also agree that they both have their faults, but to me whatever faults I find are too minor for me to make a big deal about.

Absolutely. I still don't see what's wrong with JoD's graphics...

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Absolutely. I still don't see what's wrong with JoD's graphics...

I don't really see what's wrong with the graphics either. I can't believe I saw someone say the the graphics were worse than a N64. I agree that I've seen games with better graphics, but the graphics are certainly much better than a N64. I haven't seen Xbox or PS3 graphics, so I wouldn't know if it were as good as games on those systems, though. XD

GraceWolf

GraceWolf

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Writing,drawing,video games,reading, and other natural things
I don't know if I have a place to say this but I've never played the orginal NiGHTS so to finally play a NiGHTS game was a big deal to me so I'm not sure about myself but I think I perfer the Wii game just because of reasouces.

I don't know if I have a place to say this but I've never played the orginal NiGHTS so to finally play a NiGHTS game was a big deal to me so I'm not sure about myself but I think I perfer the Wii game just because of reasouces.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Well, if you're saying that you never played the original, then it's kind of easy to prefer JoD. XD I mean, I'm able to say I prefer JoD over the original because I've played it. Granted, it was on an emulator because I don't have a Saturn and will likely never get one. It's nice to see that people prefer JoD though. It makes me feel a little less like an outcast. And I'm glad no crazy fans of the original have come here and mobbed me yet. XD I've been mobbed online for not liking popular things, such as Naruto and Bleach. That's why I usually try to stay away from fans of those series. (Hard core fans that believe everyone should like those series, that is. XD)

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
Omg, I thought I was the only one who cried playing this game. ; 3 ; XD

I like both games equally, but I like JoD a little more. The music, the gameplay, NiGHTS' perfectly rendered ass, the outfits...it was just a bit better to me, compared to NiD. And, it feels more...magical and exhilarating to me when I play JoD and fly through the sky with NiGHTS for some reason. :3

MORRiS1113

MORRiS1113

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
its better

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Omg, I thought I was the only one who cried playing this game. ; 3 ; XD

I like both games equally, but I like JoD a little more. The music, the gameplay, NiGHTS' perfectly rendered ass, the outfits...it was just a bit better to me, compared to NiD. And, it feels more...magical and exhilarating to me when I play JoD and fly through the sky with NiGHTS for some reason. :3

XD No. I cried too. I cry at emotional moments in games, especially when my favorite character "dies". Sometimes I hate the whole "kill the character then revive it" thing because I see the character come back to life and I'm like "What? I cried for nothing!?" It gets me kinda irritated when that happens, but at least the character's back. XD I've cried at a few games, NiGHTS, SA2/SA2B, (I still cry there whenever I see Shadow die. XD) Disgaea, (Even though one of the scenes I cried at I saw on a Youtube video, so I haven't actually gotten up to that point. XD The anime did the same thing to me. ^^) FFVII, (most of which I only saw because I watched my brother beat the game) etc. Pretty much any game I own with an extremely emotional moment. XD

I do agree JoD feels a little more magical and exhilarating, but maybe that's because of me having extreme lag on NiD due to the emulator. I think it also might be that there's no ceiling in JoD when in NiD, there's a top that you can clearly see above you. XD Maybe that's just my opinion though. ^^ I do think they should have put a Christmas outfit for NiGHTS in JoD, but oh well. ^^ I actually made a NiGHTS Christmas outfit for the JoD version, I need to remember to scan my fanart sometime to post on the internet. XD

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Personally I enjoy NiD more for the gameplay and challenge of getting high scores, but I actually prefer JoD for the sense of flying. I agree that it feels a little more magical and exhilarating and I think it has to do with the large and open dream worlds. And despite what some people say about the graphics I really like the art style and think it suits the game well.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Personally I enjoy NiD more for the gameplay and challenge of getting high scores, but I actually prefer JoD for the sense of flying. I agree that it feels a little more magical and exhilarating and I think it has to do with the large and open dream worlds. And despite what some people say about the graphics I really like the art style and think it suits the game well.

Very true. I do agree a bit with what you are saying for NiD, but I found JoD harder, to get A ranks that is. I seem to be able to get A ranks in NiD with practically no effort, while JoD was a bit more of a challenge. Not much though considering I beat the entire game with all A ranks and Dream Drops in 5 days. I do rather like the graphics, and the spacious dream world.

OvErLoRd

OvErLoRd

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Video games in general... NiGHTS (derp), Pokémon, Sonic, Phoenix Wright especially. XD I also love getting outside and playing sports with friends, although it doesn't happen as often as it should~
I got into the NiGHTS series because of JoD, and only found out about NiD after that, so JoD will always hold a place in my heart as my personal favorite.

And what also helps is that IMO there's a shortage of good games for the Wii. Journey of Dreams is easily one of the best games on the system, so I find myself playing it a bunch, and I think that each time I play it I like it a bit more.

...It's kinda hard to put into words how awesome playing JoD is (for me)~

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I got into the NiGHTS series because of JoD, and only found out about NiD after that, so JoD will always hold a place in my heart as my personal favorite.

And what also helps is that IMO there's a shortage of good games for the Wii. Journey of Dreams is easily one of the best games on the system, so I find myself playing it a bunch, and I think that each time I play it I like it a bit more.

...It's kinda hard to put into words how awesome playing JoD is (for me)~

OMG, I feel the same way. I mean, I had seen NiGHTS before JoD because of all his cameos in Sonic games I own, but JoD is what got me into NiGHTS. I do agree that there is a bit of a shortage of good games on the Wii. I only play 2 or 3 of my games on a regular basis, though I usally don't get to play because my siblings and mom and such use the TV that the Wii is hooked up to. ^^; I find it hard to find words to describe my feelings for NiGHTS. NiGHTS is one of the characters that I not only like, but I look up to. (Even though technically, NiGHTS is shorter than me, he can fly so he makes up for that. XD) I've even had NiGHTS appear in my dreams, which is strange because usually the only characters that appear in my dreams are from Yu-Gi-Oh. XD

Beautiful Nightmare

Beautiful Nightmare

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
The majority of games I play, is for the story and characters(gameplay isn't so important to me). So it's not a surprise that I prefer JoD over NiD.
Not to mention that Wizeman and NiGHTS both look much better in JoD(not talking about the difference in graphics, but the difference in design/appearance).

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

The majority of games I play, is for the story and characters(gameplay isn't so important to me). So it's not a surprise that I prefer JoD over NiD.
Not to mention that Wizeman and NiGHTS both look much better in JoD(not talking about the difference in graphics, but the difference in design/appearance).

I couldn't agree more. But everyone has something that they love in video games and something they couldn't care less about. For instance, I love story, characters, graphics, and music, but couldn't care too much for gameplay. My brother, on the other hand, he likes games for their gameplay, but he couldn't care less about graphics, unless they affect his gameplay, of course. That's a great thing about video games is that there's usually something for just about anyone and there's such variety available for play. I do agree that I like NiGHTS and Wizeman's designs for JoD better. As for Reala, it doesn't matter much to me, but I think I prefer the JoD design for him as well. Possibly because it's more complex, but I'm not sure.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I couldn't agree more. But everyone has something that they love in video games and something they couldn't care less about. For instance, I love story, characters, graphics, and music, but couldn't care too much for gameplay. My brother, on the other hand, he likes games for their gameplay, but he couldn't care less about graphics, unless they affect his gameplay, of course. That's a great thing about video games is that there's usually something for just about anyone and there's such variety available for play. I do agree that I like NiGHTS and Wizeman's designs for JoD better. As for Reala, it doesn't matter much to me, but I think I prefer the JoD design for him as well. Possibly because it's more complex, but I'm not sure.

That's why I love that we have the two NiGHTS games: between the two of them, you're bound to find something you like. One isn't truly better or worse, they just appeal to different groups. Thus, we get fans from all over. :)

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

That's why I love that we have the two NiGHTS games: between the two of them, you're bound to find something you like. One isn't truly better or worse, they just appeal to different groups. Thus, we get fans from all over. :)

That's true. They aren't better or worse except in the opinions of the people. (Unless you're talking about something like graphics, in which case JoD is better. XD) I remember when I was younger and saw NiGHTS' cameos in my Sonic games, I had always wondered who exactly he was. Now I know, and I am grateful to have NiGHTS in my life. ^^ And most of the time, I can't find anything to make me happier. (Except my new issue of Shonen Jump every month with my favorite manga. ^^ Hint: It's not Bleach, Naruto, or One Piece. Then again, with Shonen Jump issues only having four manga titles in it now, I pretty much just gave the answer there, didn't I? XD)

The Exile

The Exile

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Can't say I like it better, but there are specific things I do prefer about it:

- NiGHTs and Reala look prettier. I love the foppish masks and poncey clothing. It makes me imagine Steampunk NiGHTs.
- I quite like the variety of different goals - the levels that focus more on chains, on item collection, on accuracy, on raw points etc. I especially love the sky concert level, it sounds awesome when you get it right and the Nightopian choir joins in.
- The Pian garden is fun, although it needs developing into the same kind of detail as the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure. I like having small animals to look after. I want a Pian Adventure mini-game for my DS!
- I quite like NiGHTs' voice. I think it suits him/her.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Can't say I like it better, but there are specific things I do prefer about it:

- NiGHTs and Reala look prettier. I love the foppish masks and poncey clothing. It makes me imagine Steampunk NiGHTs.
- I quite like the variety of different goals - the levels that focus more on chains, on item collection, on accuracy, on raw points etc. I especially love the sky concert level, it sounds awesome when you get it right and the Nightopian choir joins in.
- The Pian garden is fun, although it needs developing into the same kind of detail as the Chao Gardens in Sonic Adventure. I like having small animals to look after. I want a Pian Adventure mini-game for my DS!
- I quite like NiGHTs' voice. I think it suits him/her.

Well, everyone has their own opinion. I guess we all have at least something that we prefer in JoD. I do agree with all that you prefer. They really should have made the Pian garden a little more like the Chao garden. I find it quite annoying how I can't give to the right Pian because all the other Pians start gathering around it. >< I also get a bit annoyed with the random names that half of them I wouldn't be able to pronounce. XD NiGHTS voice quite suits the character in my opinion too. Some of missions I found slightly annoying to get the A rank, but it was very fun in the end. Especiaally when I succeeded in the Sky Concert for the first time. ^^

TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS (Obviously ;)) Warhammer, im on Warseer with same name :)
I think I probably prefer JoD better, the last level is more epic in feel, although the clouds in the NiD on the last level do add something. If there were no on foot levels JoD would be a clear winner.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I think I probably prefer JoD better, the last level is more epic in feel, although the clouds in the NiD on the last level do add something. If there were no on foot levels JoD would be a clear winner.

Ah. That reminds me a bit of the Star Fox fights. Some people like the Arwing, and some people like the foot. Most people seem to like the Arwing better though. Anyone that likes the Arwing doesn't like Star Fox Adventures for not having much Arwing levels, while people that love the foot levels, dislike the original for complete lack of foot levels. Then, Star Fox Assault tried to bring pleasure to both groups, but many complained that there weren't enough Arwing levels, despite about 2/3 of the levels involving Arwing. With JoD, they tried to add a bit of foot levels for those that liked being on foot in the original. It may not be perfect in some people's opinions, but it's nice that it has some variety.

TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS (Obviously ;)) Warhammer, im on Warseer with same name :)

Ah. That reminds me a bit of the Star Fox fights. Some people like the Arwing, and some people like the foot. Most people seem to like the Arwing better though. Anyone that likes the Arwing doesn't like Star Fox Adventures for not having much Arwing levels, while people that love the foot levels, dislike the original for complete lack of foot levels. Then, Star Fox Assault tried to bring pleasure to both groups, but many complained that there weren't enough Arwing levels, despite about 2/3 of the levels involving Arwing. With JoD, they tried to add a bit of foot levels for those that liked being on foot in the original. It may not be perfect in some people's opinions, but it's nice that it has some variety.

I actually love Star fox Adventure and the originals :P, I dont like assault though, as you say it tried to do both and didnt do it well

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I actually love Star fox Adventure and the originals :P, I dont like assault though, as you say it tried to do both and didnt do it well

Never played the original, because of lack of a N64, but I have played the other two. I love Star Fox Adventure, and as for Assault, I didn't care too much for it and only really play it for the multiplayer option. ^^; But, again, it's nice to have variety in games because in a lot of games, people will complain for the lack of variety. As an example, if they made every game in a popular game series (Mario, Sonic, Zelda, etc.) exactly the same, then they might not be as popular as they are and they might only appeal to a small group of people. Another example I can think of is the Pokemon anime. (Though, it is still popular, it would probably be more popular with more variety.) I liked it at first, but it didn't have much variety at all. It was the same thing all the time, (find all the pokemon, get all the badges, beat rivals) with very little change. Even the characters didn't change, except for the switching of female tag alongs and the one time they changed Brock for Tory. (Who ended up being switched out for Brock again.) By the way, I'm not counting Pokemon Chronicles in this, which was a series based on the Gold/Silver/Crystal games that didn't feature Ash except for a cameo. I don't know how others feel, but I think that after 10+ seasons, it might be time to feature a different main character. Ash can get annoying after a while. XD That's part of the reason I like Digimon better. They have a character change basically every season. I mean, certain things I hate them changing the characters, (Like Yu-Gi-Oh, for example.) but that's for different reasons. I guess it's just that I think character changes are better for shows that don't seem to have a plot. Yu-Gi-Oh, for example, has a plot that was surprisingly able to last 224 episodes without boring me. Pokemon, however, doesn't have much of a plot, (Except in the movies, which is why that's the only Pokemon anime I ever watch.) so it bored me rather quickly. Anyway, my point is that variety is a good thing to have in almost anything.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I love both JoD and NiD. I can't really decide which one I like better. Sometimes I feel like playing JoD, and other times I wanna play NiD. Depends on my mood. I like both games' music. I think it would be great if they made a NiGHTS 3 with both techno and orchestrated music, because both fit in well with the dream atmosphere. But JoD is very special for me because it introduced me to NiGHTS and triggered my dream recall and lucid dreaming, which has changed my outlook on a lot of things. :)

I don't really see what's wrong with the graphics either. I can't believe I saw someone say the the graphics were worse than a N64. I agree that I've seen games with better graphics, but the graphics are certainly much better than a N64. I haven't seen Xbox or PS3 graphics, so I wouldn't know if it were as good as games on those systems, though. XD

Yeah, I heard one reviewer say GameCube games had better graphics, and I've read that N64 comment before, too. The GC, it's kind of on the line. JoD's models are more polygonial than Wii games should look, but usually they move as smoothly as any other on the system. The GameCube argument I could almost see because of the polygonialness (it's somewhere around Twilight Princess's level, I'd say), but the N64 remark is just crud. Some game reviewer's going blind from playing his/her games in the dark too much =P I mean, that's the only way someone could make that mistake.

XD No. I cried too. I cry at emotional moments in games, especially when my favorite character "dies". Sometimes I hate the whole "kill the character then revive it" thing because I see the character come back to life and I'm like "What? I cried for nothing!?" It gets me kinda irritated when that happens, but at least the character's back. XD I've cried at a few games, NiGHTS, SA2/SA2B, (I still cry there whenever I see Shadow die. XD) Disgaea, (Even though one of the scenes I cried at I saw on a Youtube video, so I haven't actually gotten up to that point. XD The anime did the same thing to me. ^^) FFVII, (most of which I only saw because I watched my brother beat the game) etc. Pretty much any game I own with an extremely emotional moment. XD

I do agree JoD feels a little more magical and exhilarating, but maybe that's because of me having extreme lag on NiD due to the emulator. I think it also might be that there's no ceiling in JoD when in NiD, there's a top that you can clearly see above you. XD Maybe that's just my opinion though. ^^ I do think they should have put a Christmas outfit for NiGHTS in JoD, but oh well. ^^ I actually made a NiGHTS Christmas outfit for the JoD version, I need to remember to scan my fanart sometime to post on the internet. XD

I actually first saw the secret ending on YouTube, before I got the game (shame :mellow:), and even then I started tearing up. I was like, "What? You're already leaving, and I just found out about you? Nooooes! T-T " I think that was the first time a video game ever made me cry, because I didn't play games like that before. Just Pokemon, Metroid, Zelda, and a few levels of some Mario games.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I love both JoD and NiD. I can't really decide which one I like better. Sometimes I feel like playing JoD, and other times I wanna play NiD. Depends on my mood. I like both games' music. I think it would be great if they made a NiGHTS 3 with both techno and orchestrated music, because both fit in well with the dream atmosphere. But JoD is very special for me because it introduced me to NiGHTS and triggered my dream recall and lucid dreaming, which has changed my outlook on a lot of things. :)

Yeah, I heard one reviewer say GameCube games had better graphics, and I've read that N64 comment before, too. The GC, it's kind of on the line. JoD's models are more polygonial than Wii games should look, but usually they move as smoothly as any other on the system. The GameCube argument I could almost see because of the polygonialness (it's somewhere around Twilight Princess's level, I'd say), but the N64 remark is just crud. Some game reviewer's going blind from playing his/her games in the dark too much =P I mean, that's the only way someone could make that mistake.

I actually first saw the secret ending on YouTube, before I got the game (shame :mellow:), and even then I started tearing up. I was like, "What? You're already leaving, and I just found out about you? Nooooes! T-T " I think that was the first time a video game ever made me cry, because I didn't play games like that before. Just Pokemon, Metroid, Zelda, and a few levels of some Mario games.

Well, yea. Most of the time, I play games depending on my mood. I also only roleplay certain things depending on my mood. Sadly, I never have anyone to roleplay with. XD

I feel like the world is getting dumber by the day when I see comments like that. It's really sad. I think the graphics might have been made better if we had a larger fanbase like, let's say Sonic for example. Sonic games don't seem to have as many flaws probably at least partially because they have a bigger crowd to please.

lol. I saw every single level and cutscene before I got the game. I even downloaded the soundtrack and pictures and the screensaver. (even bigger shame :)) I did start crying when I saw it online, but I seemed to dry a lot more when I saw it on my TV. I was all like "NiGHTS, you can't die. Who's going to entertain me when I'm sick if you're not around?" (I was sick the whole time I played NiGHTS, just my luck.) First time a video game made me cry was probably Sonic Adventure 2 when Shadow dies. I was all like "Seriously? He just became my fav Sonic character this game and you go and kill him?" I was so glad he returned for Sonic Heroes. I even wanted to get the little McDonald game that had him, though I didn't have it when it was out. I play Pokemon, Zelda, (This made me cry at least once. At the end of Twilight Princess.) and a few others. I've never played a Mario game really. Only Mario Kart Wii (because I got it with my Wii) and I think one of the NES ones. I never really liked Mario, to tell the truth. I'm not sure why though. I do know his last name though, and the fact he turned 25 this week. (btw, if you were wondering, his last name is Mario. Dead serious. Who names their kid Mario Mario?) XD

HelenBaby

HelenBaby

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Video games, drawing, acting

I was going to make the same point ^^
I never got to play NiD. But I know I adore JoD... and think Will is so sweet!

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

I was going to make the same point ^^
I never got to play NiD. But I know I adore JoD... and think Will is so sweet!

Yea. I never got a game system until after the Saturn died. XD I have gotten to play it on an emulator though, so I'm ok. It is extremely laggy, so it's kinda bad, but it's better than nothing. XD The things I'll do for NiGHTS.

HelenBaby

HelenBaby

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Video games, drawing, acting

Yea. I never got a game system until after the Saturn died. XD I have gotten to play it on an emulator though, so I'm ok. It is extremely laggy, so it's kinda bad, but it's better than nothing. XD The things I'll do for NiGHTS.

thats hardcore hehe.
That said, I am still dying to play NiD! I played it at a friend I met at SoS's house briefly, but his super amazing modern widescreen TV couldn't really handle something about the Saturn's display. It was still fun... but idk. If Trippy et al succeed in getting Sega to bring it to Xbox Live I will surely try that ^^

But, I still wanna say, I really, really love Journey of Dreams <333 At this stage I would be extremely surprised if I were to suddenly prefer NiD over it tbh. JoD is pretty special, in my own perspective, I certainly can't speak for anyone else but thats how I feel.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I find it hard to put JoD over NiD but I definitely am enjoying JoD a lot more these days than when I first played the game back in 2008. I remember how much I disliked the game due to voice acting, cinematics, and platforming segments but since you don't have to see those after you've completed the game it became much more enjoyable. Lately I've been playing a lot of link missions trying to get 999 on all of them. I've only got two 999's so far.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

thats hardcore hehe.
That said, I am still dying to play NiD! I played it at a friend I met at SoS's house briefly, but his super amazing modern widescreen TV couldn't really handle something about the Saturn's display. It was still fun... but idk. If Trippy et al succeed in getting Sega to bring it to Xbox Live I will surely try that ^^

But, I still wanna say, I really, really love Journey of Dreams <333 At this stage I would be extremely surprised if I were to suddenly prefer NiD over it tbh. JoD is pretty special, in my own perspective, I certainly can't speak for anyone else but thats how I feel.

Yea. Sadly the only way you can really play it at the moment is to a) get a Saturn and play it there, :lol: hack your ps2/get a Japanese ps2 to play the Japanese remake that sadly neve hit American shores, or c) do what I did and play one/both on your computer via emulator. Yea, typically older games and game systems don't handle widescreen too well. I hope that NiD can be brought to all the newest systems, though I most want it for the Wii since that's the only one of the newest systems I have. I've never had an Xbox system, and probably never will, which I find annoying because I really want to play Yu-Gi-Oh The Dawn of Destiny, but it's sadly an Xbox exclusive. Other than that, I have practically every Yu-Gi-Oh game made before they started replacing the original cast with the GX or 5DS ones.

I really love it too and think it's truely special. It's still probably my favorite game of all time, even though I haven't played it in a while. I've known NiGHTS for almost as long as I've played video games, because of my Sonic games. XD And I can say that I've seen every single one of NiGHTS' cameos, and I own almost every single game that he made a cameo in. I do like it that I'm not the only one the loves JoD because with the way people talked on here, I felt I was he only one. XD

I find it hard to put JoD over NiD but I definitely am enjoying JoD a lot more these days than when I first played the game back in 2008. I remember how much I disliked the game due to voice acting, cinematics, and platforming segments but since you don't have to see those after you've completed the game it became much more enjoyable. Lately I've been playing a lot of link missions trying to get 999 on all of them. I've only got two 999's so far.

Well, I guess not many people watch cutscenes and stuff more than once anymore anyway. It's nice to see that different people have different opinions, but everyone seems to have something they like about JoD. Personally, I liked basically all of it. I guess it's partially because I'm an artist and a musician, but I normally judge how much I like a game by looks, story, and music. It might also be a bit because I'm not exactly the best gamer most of the time, but I have beaten quite a few games. I've thought about getting 999 on the link challenges, but I'm just satisfied with getting all the A ranks, and it 5 days too. That's probably the least time I had ever taken to beat a game, so I found that to be one thing I really liked about JoD.

Eivana

Eivana

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Hello, my name is Eivana. I have a lot of interests, probably way too many to post right now. I am currently learning French, so if you speak to me you'll probably hear me throw out some random French words just to get the practice in. I love video games, some being Tomb Raider, Sonic the Hedgehog, King of Fighters, Pokemon and Digimon.<br /><br />I love to talk to people and get to know them. If you want to talk to be, don't be shy. I love making new friends.
Honestly I'm not really sure which one I like better.

I probably would have to stick with Journey of Dreams because it was my first NiGHTS game. I have known of the NiGHTS world and character for many years, but I just never really got into it until JoD came out. I ended up really enjoying it though, especially since it had an easy to follow story (seeing as I didn't know anyone but NiGHTS at the time) and I thought that it seemed pretty neat. I liked the whole 'wear the mask' thing, but bits and pieces confused me that I won't really go into. That game gets enough confusion and criticism for me to add to the list. XD

I did however buy the Sega Saturn early last year and played Into Dreams..., which I believe is actually a really nice game, but it's kind of difficult for me for some reason. I hope to get Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams... soon so I can play as Reala. That would make the game more enjoyable.

I was a little let down though at how neither one of them really have much of a story. There are all kinds of characters, like the Nightmarens for instance, but none of them are really talked about or really explained. That actually bothers me quite badly. The visitors have their whole life story written out, but I would rather know more about the relationship to all of the Nightmarens and see the SEGA version of what happened before NiGHTS left. Why she was still wearing the mask in Journey of Dreams, what's really going on between NiGHTS and Reala. Stuff like that. It had such potential, both games do, but they just won't do anything with it! It distresses me so.

Kizia

Kizia

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Honestly I'm not really sure which one I like better.

I probably would have to stick with Journey of Dreams because it was my first NiGHTS game. I have known of the NiGHTS world and character for many years, but I just never really got into it until JoD came out. I ended up really enjoying it though, especially since it had an easy to follow story (seeing as I didn't know anyone but NiGHTS at the time) and I thought that it seemed pretty neat. I liked the whole 'wear the mask' thing, but bits and pieces confused me that I won't really go into. That game gets enough confusion and criticism for me to add to the list. XD

I did however buy the Sega Saturn early last year and played Into Dreams..., which I believe is actually a really nice game, but it's kind of difficult for me for some reason. I hope to get Christmas NiGHTS into Dreams... soon so I can play as Reala. That would make the game more enjoyable.

I was a little let down though at how neither one of them really have much of a story. There are all kinds of characters, like the Nightmarens for instance, but none of them are really talked about or really explained. That actually bothers me quite badly. The visitors have their whole life story written out, but I would rather know more about the relationship to all of the Nightmarens and see the SEGA version of what happened before NiGHTS left. Why she was still wearing the mask in Journey of Dreams, what's really going on between NiGHTS and Reala. Stuff like that. It had such potential, both games do, but they just won't do anything with it! It distresses me so.

Well, they might not do much with NiGHTS until their more well known series like Sonic die out. That's my opinin at least. They could have went more in depth with the Nightmarens and such, but one of the main things about NiGHTS and other Nightmarens is the ability to see them as you would like. If they created background stories for the characters, it would ruin how some of us see NiGHTS and other Nightmarens, so I think that's the main reasn they don't do something like that. I mean, that's the main reason why all Nightmaren are genderless, so you could see them as either male or female, whichever you prefer. Sometimes, fanfiction and such can be ruined by such background stories. I'm sorr it distresses you, but we can't do much except for petition and hope SEGA listens to our demands. XD I do think it would be awesome if they featured UV NiGHTS in one of the NiGHTS games somehow, even if it were just an alternate costume or something. Everyone has their own opinion, but I think it's better ff that they let the fans interpret the characters as they choose, since not many games actually allow for that. XD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users