Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Inception

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
So I saw Inception last night, it was really good. It was an epic drama but the dream aspect got me really involved like I was in the movie haha. The route they took was not about getting all geeky with dream science but more like just becoming part of the dream to not exactly stand out and be the center of emotion within a dream. And it screeaaamed Matrix but it was very different at the same time.

SPOILZZZ:

Spoiler

I really don't want to spoil anything since it came out so WATCH it so we can all talk about it. >:3 Since were all so well adapt to dreaming or know a thing or two I think they did a good job to not try and sound too "all knowing" since not everyone will be able to relate, everyone is going to appreciate this movie.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
The trailers look cool. Ellen Page is great in everything, and the plot sounds uniquel. I might go soon.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
It gets lovey but its still ties in with everything. Leo is a snake charmer XD

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
My friend saw it last night, she liked it, I'll prob go see it soon..

I was wondering who would make an Inception thread first on the NiGHTS forum, lol.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I went to see it lastnight with my family, I'm writing up a review for it today since people keep asking me what i thought of it >v>

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I went to see it lastnight with my family, I'm writing up a review for it today since people keep asking me what i thought of it >v>

Please do I suck at writing, but I was being vauge anyway I guess.

I went with 5 people and they ALL loved it, I was happy we all enjoyed it cause 2 of them are really into dreams and we had this full blown debate that kind of traveled from dreams to astral projection.
Me - "Dude you can like, be in China and with having no previous recognition of it, you can actually be the--"
Friend - "STAY OUT OF MY CHINA YO"

*Had to be there moment brought to you by DiENE. :P

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Really good movie! I haven't been on these forums in a while and it got me wanting to come back here and re-kindle my interest in dreaming.
After seeing the movie I decided to check and see if they actually put any effort into the symbols in the dreams by checking it against dreammoods.com database. Turns out it was really well thought out. for the sake of spoilers I wont post any here, by I'd encourage anyone interested in running elements of the movie through the symbol search and seeing how well they applied it.

One thing I found really awesome wasn't even in the movie at all. I saw it yesterday and since then I had a full nights sleep and an afternoon nap. During both I went lucid, something I haven't done in a couple months now. It's definitely from just watching the movie. It plants the idea of questioning what you see around you and confirming that it's real. I don't know how long it will last, probably until I stop thinking about it regularly. I think I need to get this when it comes out on DVD to help with initiating lucidity. If nothing else this means I was thinking about the movie after I was done watching it, a certain sign of a good film.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I just saw it. I may write a full review later, but I'll just sum up my thoughts for now. I liked it a lot. I thought it was by far one of the best heist movies I've seen and it is a heist movie in it's formula. I enjoyed myself and I loved the effects, especially since it wasn't just some masturbatory CGI fest like so many other summer blockbusters. The effects were often practical and just subtle enough to get the job done. I need to think about it a bit more and digest it a bit before giving a final verdict, but for now I'll just say I enjoyed it.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I just got back from seeing it and man did I enjoy it. I really let myself get into the moment and tried not to think too much about it (I'm really bad for doing that!). I would like to go and see it again because I'm sure there are a few things I missed or would like to understand better. I'm still trying to piece together the ending as my friend and I disagree a bit but I won't give anything away for those who haven't seen it. Overall this is one of the best films I have seen in a long time because it really takes you out of your own world and not many films can do that.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Wow, I'm hearing so many great things about this movie. I got interested in the trailer since it reminded me of an anime movie called Paprika which was also about dreams. I may try to get my family to go watch it.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

One thing I found really awesome wasn't even in the movie at all. I saw it yesterday and since then I had a full nights sleep and an afternoon nap. During both I went lucid, something I haven't done in a couple months now. It's definitely from just watching the movie. It plants the idea of questioning what you see around you and confirming that it's real. I don't know how long it will last, probably until I stop thinking about it regularly. I think I need to get this when it comes out on DVD to help with initiating lucidity. If nothing else this means I was thinking about the movie after I was done watching it, a certain sign of a good film.

Yeah I had a real good nights sleep and called it when we got out of the theater. I wasn't lucid but I made sure I wrote it down, 4 1/2 pages of colorful weirdness! My favorite kind of non lucid dreams are the kind where you have no idea whats going on because a thousand things are going on and everything seems to be so colorful and action packed. Those and post apocalyptic dreams haha, I R THE RESISTANCE!

Another thing I noticed in my dream was that the characters in it seemed to have the same behavior like that of the movie, something I probably pre- determined myself after the movie cause it was on my mind alot. But it kind of creeped me out because It was strange to be stared at, and of all times the faces were visable and in focus. >_<

OvErLoRd

OvErLoRd

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Video games in general... NiGHTS (derp), Pokémon, Sonic, Phoenix Wright especially. XD I also love getting outside and playing sports with friends, although it doesn't happen as often as it should~
Just watched "Inception" last night... it was kind of confusing (I see where all the Matrix comparisons came from now), but it was really entertaining. It was incredible how they managed to build such a complex story out of seemingly ordinary happenings (such as the kick, and dreaming in general).

Everything delivered; all of the 3-D movies that I've seen thus far (with the exception of Avatar) still can't hold a candle to the effects in Inception, and the soundtrack was fittingly intense. The story was excellent too, even with the cliffhanger.

It frustrates me, yet I love it nonetheless~ I know the producers wanted us to speculate on what actually happened, though I still would like to have seen a definite ending.

I can't recommend this movie enough. Christopher Nolan really delivers; more so than he did two years ago with his already-excellent "Dark Knight".

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I've heard it compared to Cronenberg and David Lynch grounded in reality. :D I have to see it now.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Wow, this movie is amazing. I've heard people say that Nolan's approach to dreams was too logical. To those people I present this argument: People think logically and in the world of the movie people are creating the dream worlds, thus making them inherently more logical than if the dream was natural. But then, I guess no one here cares...

They did fail to explain how going "4 dreams in" automatically sent them to Limbo :/

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
It's one thing that TRiP said after we saw it - that they didn't explore the kind of opportunity you get when you're lucid in a dream, to go nuts with the world you're in and do crazy stuff. You see glimpses of it, like when the girl realises she's dreaming for the first time and basically has fun with messing around with the dreamscape. But for a large percentage of the film they rarely do stuff like that.
What i do have to raise a glass to is the fact that rather than just brush this off, the film actually has it's own reasons as to why altering dreamscapes can lead to consequences.

So, sequel anybody? Perhaps in the next film they could cut loose with crazy dreamscape altering stuff. Like a dreamjacker who comes in to mess with your dreams on purpose or something. Either way, there's potential for at least a sequel. I wouldn't say a triology but certainly a sequel.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
If there were to be a sequel, it would have to be about Arthur... 'cause he was awesome and wasn't in it enough.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
I guess they did explain that if another visitor was messing around with the dreamscape the consciousness would catch on and therefor notice somethings up and try to get rid of you. Cobbs is gonna have to do his own architectur-ing if we want to see more dream manipulation lol. Unless the imposter entering your dreams is really good, your mind has its own failsafe to get rid of you. Its almost like they made a rule to prevent awesome dreamy stuff to happen but iunno, they should write around it XD

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I quite liked this movie. I think it compares best to The Matrix in that it's an action movie, but is entirely for adults and much smarter than brainless (but possibly fun) drek like Live Free or Die Hard. Still, the emotional component of the movie was pretty surface-level. There aren't many ambiguities about characters motivations or anything. Also I think they really should have taken advantage of using dream logic more - as DiGi/TRiPPY pointed out, they don't really explore all the cool things that can happen while lucid.

It's not "OMG Best Movie Ever" but it's one of the few titles released so far this summer that has seriously caught my interest. One of the best action movies I've seen from Hollywood in years. But I'm normally not a big action fan, so I might not be one to judge.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
I went to see it last night, and really really enjoyed it. It's one of the few films where I can look back on it, and not see any obvious flaws. It flowed really well, and had me sucked in almost all of the way. And despite what some reviews have said, I did feel for the main character and his relationship with his wife.

Did anyone get a total NiGHTS vibe when Juno girl started messing wihh the dreamscape, and turned the world upside down, but like it was mirrored. It was just like in NiD, where the was ground at the bottom and the top :D

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I went to see it last night, and really really enjoyed it. It's one of the few films where I can look back on it, and not see any obvious flaws. It flowed really well, and had me sucked in almost all of the way. And despite what some reviews have said, I did feel for the main character and his relationship with his wife.

Did anyone get a total NiGHTS vibe when Juno girl started messing wihh the dreamscape, and turned the world upside down, but like it was mirrored. It was just like in NiD, where the was ground at the bottom and the top :D

YES!!! That was insanely cool to happen.
also when they said "its a Paradox" I lol'd

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I just came back from seeing this brilliant film with my mother. My only issue was
Spoiler
I want to actually see this film again but I'll wait for the DVD.

SPOILZZZ:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

I vaguely thought about NiGHTS at a certain point in the film but I was mostly so involved in the story of the film that I barely thought about other things.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
This is full of spoilers, but I''m not going to black it out bcause it would hurt reading the whole thing inverted. So, if you haven't seen the movie yet, I urge you not to read this review.

I went and saw Inception today, and it was nice. The plot was good, and the pacing was great...until they started the actual "inception" part. From there, logic went out the window and the movie got too caught up in the spectacle of dreams and dreams-within-dreams-within dreams. It was all too drawn out; the scenes were interesting, but they just kept going to the point where all tension was lost. I know the falling car was slowed down to show that time was slower in a dream, but it just felt like the van would never hit the water, so why worry? Once Fisher got to his father and the idea was planted in his head, there was no big climax; it just happened, and life went on. Because of the twist ending, we never saw how the inception worked, or even if anything happened. The movie's called Inception, the buildup is centered around the inception, so I want to see the inception, dagnabbit. Also, I would have liked to see the gravitaional changes affect the other dreamscapes.

Even the twist clifhanger wasn't very effective. Good twists are like those in, say, a Twilight Zone episode. The story is wrapped up neatly, but not in the way the audience expected. Clifhangers, too, need to be explained to work. In the movie Army of Darkness, for example,
Spoiler
In this, it seemed like they just ran out of film. Nothing was explained. I know that I'm in a distinct minority here, but I felt like it just made the entire movie pointless: If it was all a dream, leave subtle clues to indicate that before the last ten minutes. If it wasn't a dream, don't bother with the top.

The acting was suberp from everyone involved. If you told me when Titanic came out that in the future, Leonardo DiCaprio would be amazing in psychologically driven action movies, I would never have belived you. Ellen Page (who I love, despite not being a huge fan of her past movies as wholes) once again steals the show. I liked how she had fun and played around when she realized that she could edit the dream world, but when she had to get down to business, she did. Everyone else was good, but didn't stand out amoung the overall cast.

The effects were mindblowing; It all looked real! The sets were great, too. I'd love to stay in that hotel from the second level of the inception, and a movie needs to be made in that Japanese building. And that cafe that Leo and Ellen Page went to...did it make anyone think of another cafe on a corner with a red awning? One with a mysterious name change, perhaps? :)

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things

The movie's called Inception, the buildup is centered around the inception, so I want to see the inception, dagnabbit.

You did, if you remember what occurred once the safe-wall in the third layer was opened.

I have to agree about the twist ending not being satisfying. It's the equivalent of "THE END...?" Or even to be more literal, "...but it was all a dream."
Still, I'm surprised to hear that a lot of folks found this movie confusing and bordering on incomprehensible. I found it to be pretty straightforward.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

I went and saw Inception today, and it was nice. The plot was good, and the pacing was great...until they started the actual "inception" part. From there, logic went out the window and the movie got too caught up in the spectacle of dreams and dreams-within-dreams-within dreams. It was all too drawn out; the scenes were interesting, but they just kept going to the point where all tension was lost. I know the falling car was slowed down to show that time was slower in a dream, but it just felt like the van would never hit the water, so why worry? Once Fisher got to his father and the idea was planted in his head, there was no big climax; it just happened, and life went on. Because of the twist ending, we never saw how the inception worked, or even if anything happened. The movie's called Inception, the buildup is centered around the inception, so I want to see the inception, dagnabbit. Also, I would have liked to see the gravitaional changes affect the other dreamscapes.

Even the twist clifhanger wasn't very effective. Good twists are like those in, say, a Twilight Zone episode. The story is wrapped up neatly, but not in the way the audience expected. Clifhangers, too, need to be explained to work. In the movie Army of Darkness, for example,

Spoiler
In this, it seemed like they just ran out of film. Nothing was explained. I know that I'm in a distinct minority here, but I felt like it just made the entire movie pointless: If it was all a dream, leave subtle clues to indicate that before the last ten minutes. If it wasn't a dream, don't bother with the top.

Maybe because I was thoroughly drawn into the film, but I didn't think the dream sequences were drawn out at all and the tension level was just right. I don't think it's necessary to see what happens with Fisher afterwards; You know the inception worked and that's all that matters, especially since his inception isn't really the important one, it's the inception of Cobb's wife that's the main driving force. The top was a kinda cheap-shot ending, but I don't mind it. I think it's made pretty obvious that it's not a dream, so to me it's just there to screw with the intellectually undeveloped.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

You did, if you remember what occurred once the safe-wall in the third layer was opened.

That's true, but nothing was shown indicating if he went anywhere with the idea. It felt like They started making a heist film centered around Fisher, but then shifted the focus to Cobb instead. While Cobb's story was very interesting and a great addition to the story, it left the Fisher plot without a real conclusion. We saw the actual process of inception, yes, but not the results. That brings us to:

I don't think it's necessary to see what happens with Fisher afterwards; You know the inception worked and that's all that matters, especially since his inception isn't really the important one, it's the inception of Cobb's wife that's the main driving force.

I never really thought of it that way; Moll started out as a subplot, and that's how I took it. By the end she was the focus, but it just felt like an overblown subplot. And that makes the movie great for thinking and discussing afterwards, and even rewatching; with all the details, the whole thing changes. Going into it, I though Fisher was the main idea and Moll was a side character, but looking back, Fisher's story only exsisted to explain the saga with Moll. Thank you for making me think about it that way. :)

The top was a kinda cheap-shot ending, but I don't mind it. I think it's made pretty obvious that it's not a dream, so to me it's just there to screw with the intellectually undeveloped.

Yes! I was discussing this with the people I saw the movie with. Wouldn't it be a really crummy never-ending top if it wobbled and started to fall ever so often? :)

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
Well, not only does the top wobble, I don't think he would've been able to see his kids' faces if it were still a dream.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Well, not only does the top wobble, I don't think he would've been able to see his kids' faces if it were still a dream.

Excellent point, though one could argue that since he came to terms with Moll, he was free from the usual restraints of the "Moll dreams."

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Excellent point, though one could argue that since he came to terms with Moll, he was free from the usual restraints of the "Moll dreams."

I don't think his dreams were restrained. He couldn't imagine (or dream, whatever) his children turning around partly because of guilt, but also memory issues. Even if you get to know someone really well, it's pretty durn hard to remember their face if you don't see them at all for years and years.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I was thinking today how I can never become lucid on command. In the three dreams where I've been lucid (at least momentarily), it's been something in the dream that triggers my relaization that it's a dream, much like the totems in the movie...

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Has anyone had a chance to watch the special features on the bluray?

I borrowed it from my friend today and there's some really great features on dreaming and the subconsciousness. There is even a good 15 mins spent on Lucid dreaming.

If you get a chance to watch the film again make sure you watch the special features.

Btw, the ending still gets to me.
Spoiler
I love this movie :P

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Watched it at a sleepover last Thursday. I liked it. It was really good. ^^ A lot of things about the dream sequences weren't much like my own, but that's understandable because everyone dreams differently. There were inaccuracies about the way dreams work, but hey, it's a story, and a very creative one. I found it very absorbing. It had a lot of imagery that I found compelling in spite of their slightly cheesy nature, such as the basement level of Cobb's dream. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to see the special features, because the disc belonged to my friend. :) I would have liked to see what they have to say about lucid dreaming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users