Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS and Dreamers...

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: NiGHTS Love us? Or Strangles Us in Our Dreams? (91 member(s) have cast votes)

Love Us?

1. Yes. *hugs NiGHTS and hehugs back* (33 votes [36.26%])

Percentage of vote: 36.26%

2. No. *runs away from NiGHTS* (5 votes [5.49%])

Percentage of vote: 5.49%

3. Depends who and what, really. (47 votes [51.65%])

Percentage of vote: 51.65%

4. Unsure. (6 votes [6.59%])

Percentage of vote: 6.59%

5. Other.... (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I notice that opinions on NiGHTS and whether he likes Dreamers or Dislikes them are a bit varied and different. So, I was wondering what everyone's opinions on him and us are.

Does NiGHTS like dreamers, or hate them to death?

I think NiGHTS likes some dreamers, but others he just doesn't care for. Like, he helps Claris and Elliot for several reasons, probably the strongest two are that he likes them and that they have the Red Ideya, which is what he's attracted too and needs to possibly live. And,
Spoiler
But, most of this is just speculation, aside from some of the stuff in the spoliers.

So, how do you feel about him? Please, no arguing. I'm kinda worried about putting this topic up for fear or people and their theories (yes, theories.) clashing.

Edit: Hmm.... I was surprised how many people voted "Depends". I thought there'd be a lot more "Nos". Well, it looks like "Depends" is the majority, followed by "YEPERS!", then "Unsure", then "NO!", then "other".

CORNSiLK

CORNSiLK

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS into Dreams (duh), fishing, hiking, NiGHTS, GillWing, dragons, chickens, beekeeping, walking, swimming, dreaming, psychology, bones, robotics, voice acting.
I see NiGHTS as a chaotic entity.
He'll help someone who interests him, if he's in the right mood. Otherwise he might just hang out and watch from behind the scenes.
That's me combining what I've seen in the games with some things I've observed when he's deigned to appear in my dreams XD

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I see NiGHTS as a chaotic entity.
He'll help someone who interests him, if he's in the right mood. Otherwise he might just hang out and watch from behind the scenes.
That's me combining what I've seen in the games with some things I've observed when he's deigned to appear in my dreams XD

XD I see NiGHTS similar to that, even though I said "Yes" in the top. And, I've noticed him mostly watching me then actually helping me the few times I've met with him. Like, the last time I saw him he just gave me a serious stare when I saw him, and another time I caught him flying away from me.

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Yeah, I've always thought that NiGHTS just did his/her own thing. I mean, here he was, supposed to be evil and then he goes and rebels for some unknown reason.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Another one who thinks it depends on the dreamer. And even then... remember what happens if you run out of time and try to go back to the Ideya Palace without the Ideya? Even if the Alarm Clock is right behind you NiGHTS won't let you merge with him again.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Another one who thinks it depends on the dreamer. And even then... remember what happens if you run out of time and try to go back to the Ideya Palace without the Ideya? Even if the Alarm Clock is right behind you NiGHTS won't let you merge with him again.

XD, yeah. NiGHTS can be a bit picky.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I wonder if that has more to do with NiGHTS' confinement than with NiGHTS him/herself. Remember, it's only because of Wizeman that NiGHTS is cooped up in that temple and not in the sky, chasing the wind.

It's not much more of a stretch to assume that Wizeman's curse goes both ways. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out. However, this rule can be broken temporarily with the power granted by an Ideya orb. Make sense? I think so.

Getting back to the topic, I think that NiGHTS is way too ambiguous a character to simply love or hate anyone (except for Wizeman, and that was only after he took the freedom that NiGHTS held so dear). But if I had to take a guess, I'd say that NiGHTS began merging with Claris and Elliot simply because they were his only option. However, based on his/her appearance in the game's ending, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that NiGHTS may have gotten attached to his companions as the game went on. I can't imagine how three people (for lack of a better term) can save the world together without developing some bond of friendship.

So, there's my answer. NiGHTS was initially ambiguous to the Dreamers and warmed up to them as the game progressed. As that is not an option in the poll, I'll vote for the final result.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
I've always thought of him as someone who couldn't really care less about anyone else... then he got imprisoned and needed the kids to get him out... his touches to the kid's lives at the end of the game were just repaying a debt.

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
To be honest, I believe that it depends on the dreamer. You probably wouldn't just randomly latch onto people without getting to know them first (some people I know have unfortunately made bad friends). So, in my opinion, NiGHTS is the same way... he plays with dreamers that he has grown fond of, observes ones that he either doesn't know or isn't quite open to yet from a distance, and just plainly avoiding or (God forbid) using the ones who get under his skin as target practice along with Jackle and Reala.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
I misread the poll and voted for the first one. XD Now that I'm reading it again (and am more awake than I was last night) I think it would depend on who, and what the situation was. Not to mention what mood NiGHTS is in at the time. X3 lol

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
I think it depends.

Tsuki, I can edit yout vote.

-Edited. ^^

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I personally think yes, he does. I just get that impression from the way he acts... if he didn't I'd expect him to be a little less friendly when you merge etc, less like he's 'asking' etc. I suppose yes, depends on who... but I don't think it's like a 'Dreamers, oh they're stupid/inferior/pathetic' thing. I mean, as a whole, with the way most people would act (in their dreams)... eh.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I've always thought of him as someone who couldn't really care less about anyone else... then he got imprisoned and needed the kids to get him out... his touches to the kid's lives at the end of the game were just repaying a debt.

Sounds good to me.

Remember, NiGHTS' bond with Claris and Elliot was never a matter of choice. Given that Ideya is necessary to open the Shrine, and because Nightmarens can't touch Red Ideya, NiGHTS needed a Dreamer with Red Ideya to escape. And because Dreamers with Red Ideya are so rare, NiGHTS would have to be an idiot (which, as we know, (s)he's not) to think that another opportunity would come soon.

NiGHTS jumped on the first couple of opportunities because (s)he knew that (s)he couldn't afford to be picky. So, the game went on and NiGHTS eventually warmed up to the kids, so (s)he showed up to say goodbye at the end of the game.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

To be honest, I believe that it depends on the dreamer. You probably wouldn't just randomly latch onto people without getting to know them first (some people I know have unfortunately made bad friends). So, in my opinion, NiGHTS is the same way... he plays with dreamers that he has grown fond of, observes ones that he either doesn't know or isn't quite open to yet from a distance, and just plainly avoiding or (God forbid) using the ones who get under his skin as target practice along with Jackle and Reala.

Hmm... that makes sense, both from a game point of view and a dream point of view. And, I'd hate to be one of his target practice dreamers D:! *hides*

I misread the poll and voted for the first one. XD Now that I'm reading it again (and am more awake than I was last night) I think it would depend on who, and what the situation was. Not to mention what mood NiGHTS is in at the time. X3 lol

Yes, I'd imagine how NiGHTS would treat dreamers in a bad mood. He'd probably either not help 'em, or worse.... use 'em as target practice D:! *hides again XD*

Sage

Sage

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Interests:Books: all kinds of fantasy and science fiction<br /><br />TV Shows: Star Trek (any season), CSI Las Vegas, Knight Rider, Avatar: Last Airbender, various old Disney series (Darkwing Duck and the like)<br /><br />Video games: NiGHTS into Dreams, Megaman Zero, Fatal Frame, Sonic series (including the 3D ones =P), Kingdom Hearts, Silent Hill, Sly Cooper, and still more...<br /><br />Music: Pretty much anything, though I'm definitely not big on rap.<br /><br />Other: free form roleplaying, fanfiction, getting lost in my latest obsession, and so much more... ^^

I wonder if that has more to do with NiGHTS' confinement than with NiGHTS him/herself. Remember, it's only because of Wizeman that NiGHTS is cooped up in that temple and not in the sky, chasing the wind.

Getting back to the topic, I think that NiGHTS is way too ambiguous a character to simply love or hate anyone (except for Wizeman, and that was only after he took the freedom that NiGHTS held so dear). But if I had to take a guess, I'd say that NiGHTS began merging with Claris and Elliot simply because they were his only option. However, based on his/her appearance in the game's ending, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that NiGHTS may have gotten attached to his companions as the game went on. I can't imagine how three people (for lack of a better term) can save the world together without developing some bond of friendship.

You're right about the nature of the Ideya Palace. The game manual says that it's a prison, and if you look at the structure, there are five pedestals each with a colored Ideya marking above it. We know from game and website information that Red Ideya are indeed rare, but it's even rarer still for a dreamer to have all five. Since all five Ideya are required to set NiGHTS free, we know our favorite Nightmaren would have been utterly screwed if Elliot and Claris hadn't crossed his path.

It's not much more of a stretch to assume that Wizeman's curse goes both ways. Nothing gets in, nothing gets out. However, this rule can be broken temporarily with the power granted by an Ideya orb. Make sense? I think so.

This is also true. Without an Ideya, there's no way in or out. So if you don't have an Ideya when you approach the Ideya Palace, the barrier holding NiGHTS in bounces you back, as seen in the game.

Back on topic, I also agree that it depends on the dreamer and the circumstances. I think NiGHTS likes dreamers in general, but he doesn't go around glomping everyone he sees. He might interact with a dreamer because that person catches his interest for whatever reason, or circumstances force him in a person's direction (Elliot and Claris).

Roam

Roam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Gaming, Music,
I believe ordinarily NiGHTS may play around with dreamers, say a prank or something. I don't think he would bond so closely with just one, but that may have been different with Elliot and Claris, due to not only the Red Ideya, but the circumstances they were under.

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^

I think it depends.

Tsuki, I can edit yout vote.

-Edited. ^^

Oh yay~! Thanks Purg. ^__^ *huggles* Next time I won't take a poll at 3 something in the morning. lol

NNRO7- Being used for target practice by NiGHTS would be scary. >>; lol

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I think he likes them but tolerates only so much. And then it is his downfall. Like when after a while of being around on foot he wont let you in.....but then thats just keeping him cooped up more. Kinda a win/lose situation.

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD
Both NiGHTS and the kids goals are different but they end up in the same place.

NiGHTS wants to take down Wizeman for imprisoning him and trying to take over Nightopia. While Elliot and Claris want to overcome their fears that are manifested within the boss maren and ultimately in Wizeman. Before NiGHTS can defeat Wiseman he needs the Ideya to get out of the palace... but then in Twin Seeds Elliot and Claris are restricted from reaching NiGHTS by Wizeman and have to do the whole level using their own strength and courage. Then the three of them work together to defeat Wizeman and save the world~

So I dunno if it's a like/dislike relationship as much as it is a relationship of need and cooperation. Both parties need one another and in the end they both "pay back" each other - NiGHTS by helping Elliot and Claris conquer their fears then helping them get together in the end. Elliot and Claris give pay back by freeing NiGHTS and giving him the necessary tools to enable him to defeat Wizeman.

So that's my take on it. They may grow to like each other but in the end it's a working relationship~ and once both parties have achived their goals and learnt what they need from each other they just part ways.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
He rebelled against Wizeman, who was against dreamers, and in the manuals it states that the diffrence between Reala and him is that Reala is cruel. He also should be grateful because for a while he could not be free until merging with a dreamer. This leads me to believe he at least likes dreamers a little bit before he gets to know them.

DMN

DMN

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
NiGHTS is NiGHTS, he does whatever he feels like doing, and is whatever he feels like being.

Tango

Tango

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
I personally think of NiGHTS as someone that everyone likes and that likes everyone else, given that they aren't evil. I think of him as patient, kind, caring, humorous, etc.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.
well, we know that he at least helps dreamers when it's convenient for him.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

I personally think of NiGHTS as someone that everyone likes and that likes everyone else, given that they aren't evil. I think of him as patient, kind, caring, humorous, etc.

That's practically the way I feel/felt. I get the picture that he loves most of us (or, at least, now he does).

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Wow, this is an interesting topic. I think NiGHTS would generally love dreamers, and perhaps would only appear as he needs to, as not to unnecessarily interfere with dreams. When someone is in the position of needing help in their life, are troubled, etc., perhaps he'd show up to comfort them.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
What wyld and viper said.

I personally think that NiGHTS likes some than others, depending*.

On reading this topic and my own speculation, I think he normally appears to troubled hearts (e.g. Elliot and Claris). He tends to help people with their fears**, life problems, ect. Otherwise, he likes to play with dreamers***.

*Good and troubled > Spoiled and inconsiderate

**Like a dream I had when I was in a van and two older women were yelling and doing bad things to me and some younger girl passengers ;-;

***Phantasy Star Onliney quest I read once. o.O

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

What wyld and viper said.

I personally think that NiGHTS likes some than others, depending*.

On reading this topic and my own speculation, I think he normally appears to troubled hearts (e.g. Elliot and Claris). He tends to help people with their fears**, life problems, ect. Otherwise, he likes to play with dreamers***.
*Good and troubled > Spoiled and inconsiderate

**Like a dream I had when I was in a van and two older women were yelling and doing bad things to me and some younger girl passengers ;-;

***Phantasy Star Onliney quest I read once. o.O

Yeah, I see your point with that. Obviously, a lot of people (maren or dreamer) won't help a spoiled brat XD.

Could I see the PSO Quest ^-^?!

Ashashi

Ashashi

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:Internet, Computers, Anime, Video Games, Sonic, NiGHTS, Internet, Dreams, School, Drawing, Singing, DDR, 3D Video Game Modeling/Game Design
Well I honestly think NiGHTS is a pretty cool Nightmaren that I hope to one day see and meet in my dreams. But I'm not sure if he likes or dislikes dreamers. I think he just goes around looking for new people to meet, new friends to make and to help whoevers in trouble. XD but then again~ he could get irritated with dreamers once in a while. So I'm just unsure. ._. But I hope he likes dreamers (if he doesnt that would explain why I dont see him XD)

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
I think that NiGHTS likes all of us but he especially likes the ones who are in trouble, cause that way he can help them with their problems. He'd love my dreams then...

KittyWhiggles

KittyWhiggles

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I'd say it depends on the dreamer as well. Im sure if he enterned a dream of someone that was bent on world domination and the suffering of others or something, he would just turn around and find a nicer person to play with or whatever :3

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I think NiGHTS loves everyone... then when they turn on him it's ass kicking time

NiGHTS would not like my dreams. It'd be like maren central.

^_^ Go Dreamer

^_^ Go Dreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:I am a big fan of NiGHTS, Reala, And Jackle! I love to play video games, mostly (SEGA &amp; Nintendo). Love Anime. I Love talking about NiGHTS!!! Also I like surfing the internet! ^_^
I think NiGHTS is loving, kind and helpful! And I think he likes dreamers very much, after all I met him in my dreams. He did save me and he was very kind and loving to me! ^_^

Kaibib Angel

Kaibib Angel

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Male x male relationships, NiGHTS, Reala, Reala x NiGHTS, drawing, manga, doujinshi, fanfics, fanart, cosplay, designing and making costumes, singing, listening to music of different types, using imagination, walking, dreaming, male pregnancy, peforming music on piano, recorder, clarinet, and vocals.
Crap! I did my vote wrong! D: I wanted to choose a different one but... meh, darn my twitchy hand. ><

I believe that he loves us... yet he probably has some sort of vendetta against us too.
What do I mean? I mean that, well, maybe he has no dreams, and us having dreams might make him a tad cross.

But maybe that is what attracts her to us, since she seems to be the one to jump right in to find out what's going on. Curious like a newborn kitten, they say.

There is still so much that we don't understand. Sometimes we think we do... but do we?
NiGHTS is all about mystery, and appearance.

He appears before us, seemingly kind and always there to help us. Always on our side, and protecting us like some higher force that loves us to death?
Maybe there is another side to NiGHTS that isn't always surfaced, but it's there, and it's dangerous. Behind her smile, her bright blue eyes, and her kindred aura, is a maleovent enitiy that just waits for a day to burst forth, leaving the shell that is NiGHTS behind, throwing it away, for who knows how long.
What is more scarier than trusting something or someone that looks nice, but underneath this fascade is something really nasty? If not hideous physically, then so in personality. Something that we think we know will never hurt us... will one day be the one that is pulling our life away from us violently?

I love NiGHTS, and in my dreams, he comes to me in my dreams, usually as he appears in the games - kind, playful, and seemingly on our side. But... sometimes he does not come at all, and then when he does, he does not say anything of his absence. I try not to mention it, less I upset her. D:
I somewhat fear NiGHTS, for she is the unknown in physical form. I fear the unknown... yet I am drawn to it, I cannot keep away.

Sorry for the really long post! I just had a... moment. I guess. lol

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Kabib Angel, I can fix that for you. What did you want to vote on and what got your voice?

Kaibib Angel

Kaibib Angel

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Interests:Male x male relationships, NiGHTS, Reala, Reala x NiGHTS, drawing, manga, doujinshi, fanfics, fanart, cosplay, designing and making costumes, singing, listening to music of different types, using imagination, walking, dreaming, male pregnancy, peforming music on piano, recorder, clarinet, and vocals.

Kabib Angel, I can fix that for you. What did you want to vote on and what got your voice?

I chose 'yes' when I really wanted to choose the third option.
Thank you. :3

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and cosplaying characters from the NiD universe. Sometimes I like to make plushies (i'm not too good at large plushies).
NiGHTS has tried to kill me on several occasions, but I seem to be best friends with Jackle. So I voted no.

*hides in corner*

MSDEViN92

MSDEViN92

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Curiosity Inc. made a good point, and stated my opinion. I think that, in the beginning, NiGHTS didn't feel particularly close to the deamers, most likely because of his/hers being born originally as a Nightmaren. However, after encounters and adventures with them, he/she warmed up to the children. NiGHTS doesn't really strike me as the type who can stand by while anyone is abused by Wizeman, really.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Like any person, I think NiGHTS would prefer certain kinds of people over another for friends. I guess he'd like anyone who's fun to play with and who can help him out of a jam with Wizeman. Control freaks, not so much. I agree that he probably wouldn't have teamed up with Claris and Elliot if he wasn't forced to. He probably didn't have a high opinion of dreamers before NiD, but decided that some were alright after the kids freed him.

Sometimes, NiGHTS has sat by and watched me struggle through a nightmare or has only shown up a split second during a dream. But I guess it wouldn't do me any good to be dependent on his help. I think that's what he's trying to do, make me more independent. Or he's too busy trying to visit so many people, and he wants to get it done with time to spare for his flute. :)

Basically, it would seem to me that dreamers, to NiGHTS, are often amusing playmates and potential friends but some are annoying.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
I've always pictured NiGHTS as the, "SUCCUMB TO THE DARKSIDE! *Cackle* *Cackle*", type, but hey, I'm twitchy.

But, when thinking in an annoying down-to-Earth standpoint, I'd think he likes dreamers, he's too big a goodie-goodie not to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users