Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

JOD release in October?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

Rick Hunter

Rick Hunter

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok so I was browsing the gamestop online store and found this: linky

according to that JOD will be released October first of this year... granted this is gamestop and they're not known for getting their dates right but at least I finally have a date to put into my countdown clock :wacko:

odd how it's before the holiday season tho... goes against what sega has said. In all honesty, this is most likely bogus and should be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
My fiancee works as assistant manager at Gamestop, and I reserved NiGHTS from her as soon as it went on the list. XD if you ask in-store, it was pushed back to November, so I don't know how much they update the website. But I'm right on top of it. But release dates change all the time, if could go even further. It was always set for fall, according to people you ask in the store.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
i dont want a certain release date. it gives away the surprise.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

i dont want a certain release date. it gives away the surprise.

Sure. But on the other hand, we need to know which days to take off work so we can camp in front of our local game stores.

Frankly, I'll believe a release date when I see it from Sega. I'll accept no substitute.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The game's ben in development since November, it's getting an Autumn 07 US release and a Winter 07 EU release.

What's new?

The game is rushed and we knew that already.

CronoMST

CronoMST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
In most cases, when Gamestop has a game is listed as coming out on the first of the month, that means that the date is only a placeholder because an exact release date is not yet known. For data entry purposes, they need a date to take reservations, so they pick one that's "close," as far as they know. Expect it to change as it gets closer.

I also reserved my copy the day I saw that it was listed in the computer. Heheh.

Matthew29w12

Matthew29w12

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Games
    Sleep
    Food
    Friends
*Hopes for Worldwide release* - I wanna share the experience at the same time as everyone else! *hates England even moar* If not, i'll get a Freeloader when it's out then import like mad! Rawr

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
They oughta do a worldwide release, really! It doesn't seem fair to make some countries wait longer than others. It's been eleven years! ;__;

As far as EBGames goes, the one I used to work at lists a December 1st release. It's like CronoMST said, it's just a placeholder until the official date comes through. And I dunno about everyone else, but the last time I pre-ordered a game, every store EXCEPT the EB I pre-ordered through got it weeks before they did! I'm holding out until they can confirm the actual shipment.. either that or camping. 8D

CronoMST

CronoMST

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

They oughta do a worldwide release, really! It doesn't seem fair to make some countries wait longer than others. It's been eleven years! ;__;

As far as EBGames goes, the one I used to work at lists a December 1st release. It's like CronoMST said, it's just a placeholder until the official date comes through. And I dunno about everyone else, but the last time I pre-ordered a game, every store EXCEPT the EB I pre-ordered through got it weeks before they did! I'm holding out until they can confirm the actual shipment.. either that or camping. 8D

Hurray for a fellow (but former) EB Games employee! Congratulations on managing to escape.

I haven't checked the dates lately. It's December 1st now? Bah.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Sure. But on the other hand, we need to know which days to take off work so we can camp in front of our local game stores.

Frankly, I'll believe a release date when I see it from Sega. I'll accept no substitute.

Oh yeah. thank goodness i dont work. ^^ but im still gonna camp in front of the store.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Man, I still can't believe how short a development cycle this game is getting... ugh. I'll get it the day it comes out, but I won't be camping out... the game probably won't sell that well. But you never knowwww~

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
im gonna make some NiGHTS horns and wear them to the store to buy them xD

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
You do that. :lol:

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
Huruyami, if you do that you must take some pictures! ^o^

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
If they want the game to get ANY attention at all they better keep it arounD october. Any later and once again NiGHTS gets overshadowed by the big guns (and a main Mario platformer no less) . the poor games cant catch any breaks.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Yar... NiGHTS is basically doomed in Europe since it'll probably come out right smack in the middle of either Halo3, GTA IV, Metroid 3 or Smash Bros... doomed XD

Wizeman1213

Wizeman1213

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:NiD, NiD, and more NiD
Are these all assumptions of dates, or are they true? Which is it, October or November?

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Pokemon and sonic team games.

*Hopes for Worldwide release* - I wanna share the experience at the same time as everyone else! *hates England even moar* If not, i'll get a Freeloader when it's out then import like mad! Rawr

Yes, worldwide realease would be awesome. Anyways, if the date changes, I'll know because I clicked that little thing.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Either way, seems like NiGHTS is coming out right around my birthday :D

I really hope Sonic Team isn't rushing it a bit though. Please guys, take all the time you need. I don't mind waiting a bit more if it affects the health of the game.

KyraWolf

KyraWolf

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Either way, seems like NiGHTS is coming out right around my birthday :D

I really hope Sonic Team isn't rushing it a bit though. Please guys, take all the time you need. I don't mind waiting a bit more if it affects the health of the game.

I agree. :| Though, I heard this game was actually in development for a while.. so.. >> BUt yes, still. ^_^ Take all the time you need Sega. We waited 11 years; a few months won't kill us for a perfect game.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Not an autumn release, here's the list for those hot off the press.

• Resident Evil: 4 Wii edition (Capcom) 29th June 2007
• Harry Potter & The Order Of The Phoenix (EA) 29th June 2007
• Scarface (Vivendi Games) 30th June 2007
• Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (Midway Games) June 2007
• Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) 13th July 2007
• Big Brain Academy for Wii (Nintendo) 20th July 2007
• King Of Clubs (Oxygen Games) 20th July 2007
• William Pinball Classics (System 3) July 2007
• Transformers The Game (Activision) July 2007
• Trauma Center: Second Opinion (Nintendo / Atlus) 10th August 2007
• Tamagotchi Party On! (Namco Bandai Games) August 2007
• California Games (System 3) August 2007
• Alien Syndrome (SEGA) 7th September 2007
• Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) 14th September 2007
• Dragon Blade: Wrath Of Fire (D3Publisher of Europe) 14th September 2007
• World Championship Poker Featuring Howard Lederer: All In Wii 21st September 2007 (505Games)
• Brunswick Bowling pro (505Games) September 2007
• Cosmic Family (Ubisoft) September 2007
• My Word Coach (Ubisoft) September 2007
• Ratatouille (THQ) Q3 2007
• Toot & Puddle: Call Of The North (Zoo Digital Publishing) Q3 2007

So unless it's pretty delayed elsewhere, no worldwide release, sorry guys.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
How can it be rushed if they know what they're doing? The people working on this have probably been thinking about this since the proposed sequel for the Dreamcast.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
It's all very well knowing where you're going, but if you don't have the time to do so, then what's the point? Cutting corners coding leads to a horrible, glitchy game (see Sonic 2006), as does lack of play testing, which also leads to poor level design (Sonic 06 again). These things don't just magically happen, making them takes time and hard work, while the hard work ethic may be there, the time doesn't seem to be. Both are needed, though they don't guarantee a good game (Twilight Princess :D). Still, this game needs as much of as chance as it can get.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
To be honest, I think they are releasing this game too quickly.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yup. I agree completely. It's already the beginning of July and it's around 4 months away from the release date. They've hardly shown the public anything other than a few statements about what to expect and a couple of screenshots. The main JoD website is sh!t for what it's worth. Bloody Smash Bros. Brawl has been in the hype since it was first announced and they've actually got a website that updates almost daily, explainging new features and introducing characters. I just can't understand why SEGA are being so hush-hush when there is only 4 months to go before the release. They need hype and they need to keep the public interested otherwise the only thing that will happen between now and the release date is fans like us are going to be sitting here speculating about why they're not showing us anything. Unless they have something to hide, which really wouldn't surpirse me. IGN said they saw a bit of it running and it seemed to have a bit of a 'choppy' frame rate.

I have personaly tried to be hopeful about it all because sometimes you need to be....but than again i was hopeful about various other things that they've thrown out, such as Sonic 06 and it's left me feeling dissapointed. Other game companies learn from mistakes. Devil May Cry 2 was, according to hardcore fans of the game, sh!t in comparison to the first. I think it was made by some other dude in charge. The fans complained and they brought back the original creator to make Devil May Cry 3, which was a huge success. Other companies like Nintendo where, although they're doing well for themselves anyway, really care about customer feedback and idea's. The fact that they asked the public about what characters they would like to see in Smash Bros. Brawl shows just how much they want to please the fans. Would it honestly kill SEGA to be a bit more involved with the people that are buying their games in the first place?

Mur. Another rant from me again. Appologies.

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
I agree to an extent. Sega stayed rather seclusive with Sonic 360, and look what happened: worst Sonic game ever! I wonder if they were trying to hide that fact, and hope no one noticed while playing... The way things have been going, Sega might be that stupid. But, there is a chance that they want speculation for hype. It could be amazing, almost as good as the original (let's face it, we all know it won't be as good). Let's just keep our fingers crossed, and hope Sega doesn't go and ruin JoD. I really hope so because I never got to play the original, and this is as close as I can get at the moment. Maybe the original will be unockable or something. That alone would make it worth it for me.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Yup. I agree completely. It's already the beginning of July and it's around 4 months away from the release date. They've hardly shown the public anything other than a few statements about what to expect and a couple of screenshots. The main JoD website is sh!t for what it's worth. Bloody Smash Bros. Brawl has been in the hype since it was first announced and they've actually got a website that updates almost daily, explainging new features and introducing characters. I just can't understand why SEGA are being so hush-hush when there is only 4 months to go before the release. They need hype and they need to keep the public interested otherwise the only thing that will happen between now and the release date is fans like us are going to be sitting here speculating about why they're not showing us anything. Unless they have something to hide, which really wouldn't surpirse me. IGN said they saw a bit of it running and it seemed to have a bit of a 'choppy' frame rate.

I have personaly tried to be hopeful about it all because sometimes you need to be....but than again i was hopeful about various other things that they've thrown out, such as Sonic 06 and it's left me feeling dissapointed. Other game companies learn from mistakes. Devil May Cry 2 was, according to hardcore fans of the game, sh!t in comparison to the first. I think it was made by some other dude in charge. The fans complained and they brought back the original creator to make Devil May Cry 3, which was a huge success. Other companies like Nintendo where, although they're doing well for themselves anyway, really care about customer feedback and idea's. The fact that they asked the public about what characters they would like to see in Smash Bros. Brawl shows just how much they want to please the fans. Would it honestly kill SEGA to be a bit more involved with the people that are buying their games in the first place?

Mur. Another rant from me again. Appologies.

You know, there's a very interesting article out there explaining the answers to all of the questions and arguments you raised there.

Essentially it boils down to the Sammy takeover. Sammy aren't doing too well, so they need things that'll fetch money. Sonic games do, so they need them made quick and cheap (thus the testers being sacked from Sonic 06, which had roughly a 1 year development cycle, Secret Rings less I'm told). There's not really much time to make anything worthwhile.

I guess a gamble like the new NiGHTS must suffer from this problem to an extreme. It's a risk, so therefore must have even less of an investment put into it. Which, I don't doubt for a second, is the reason it's on the Wii. Cheaper development.

The game itself, while it may be a good idea, is doomed to fall into the same trap as all other post-Jet Set Radio Future Sega titles. It's a shame, it really is.

That said, how hard can it be to throw together a 3D landscape and some mid-air hoops that have no real bearing on the level design? Development might not take as long, though complex additions such as persona may well damage this simplicity if poorly executed.

Another interesting point is how 'Disney' people are calling the trailer shown to the press. Why make it 'Disney'? Easy, convoluted, soppy storylines sell to a younger audience. Am I the only one who thinks (even judging by the new character design) that this one seems to be aimed at such an audience? Very busy, very colourful designs, as opposed to what made NiGHTS so special in the first place. Simplicity. All the colour will grab peoples attention.

You know, Miyamoto, Mr Mario, Zelda, Pikmin etc, used to talk about wishing he'd worked on NiGHTS? Personally I feel Sega missed a trick there. They have him working on Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, outsourcing the development to one of the teams his oversees could have resulted in something great.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
EB Games seem to have a solid date for JoD now. Apparently, in just a little over 5 months time, this game will be on the shelves.
November 13th is the date that EB games have given us. ...... f***.

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts
I'm not counting on seeing this game in AU 'till autumn next year, tops. Sucks to be Aussie. D:

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
Oh, another interesting thing is this isn't on the Sega list of games they're showing at E3 next week. So unless they've been holding back for some sort of surprise, looks like it just might not be ready, :|

Maki Izumii

Maki Izumii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Oh, another interesting thing is this isn't on the Sega list of games they're showing at E3 next week. So unless they've been holding back for some sort of surprise, looks like it just might not be ready, :|

Well, Nintendo did surprise everyone with Brawl last year, so who knows? Then again, that WAS completely out of the blue, unlike this where we KNOW it's happening etc.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
You know, this really does take the ever growing piss.
Though, that being said...if they're deciding not to show it because they really need to fix it up then good for them. I'd rather they keep it out of the public eye until they sort out that so called 'choppy frame rate' issue.
But...when IGN saw it didn't they say there was a trailer? Something about it being Disney-esque and what not. Was that a genuine trailer or was it just a running demo that were shown to the press? If it was an actual trailer then i'm expecting that to at least be shown at E3.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
As far as I'm away, it was a trailer made for the press. So not one we're likely to see. Well we might, just all spruced up and with a better framerate maybe. It bothers me that the framerate was so bad though, from what I understand there wasn't any real-time gameplay in it, just replay-ish stuff like when you finish a level in the original.

About the framerate though, GTA IV has a god-awful framerate, it's still being shown. Shadow the Hedgehog PS2 had a near-unplayable framerate, that was still released. Sonic 06 had problems in that department too, hell even Secret Rings did. Poor framerate isn't rare these days sadly. I can't see that problem holding back any showings.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
Im going to buy this game just to thank Iizuka for actually making it. Also this isnt like some massive epic adventure here, this is a game based on some pretty simple gameplay. Making it work should be rather easy and its really just down to how much they fine tune it. If it keeps the same number of levels and started off with leftover Dreamcast assets, then its very possible for a game like this to come out great despite a short gestation. This isnt like Halo 3 or Oblivion, where its on a massive scale with a huge story and overblown HD visuals. Its a relatively simple game concept and thats really the key to NiGHTS longevity. As long as NiGHTS controls well, and the story is sound, and the music is great (visually we can already see the art direction at least is fantastic) then it should be a pretty great successor to the original. I have a feeling if this was for Ps3/360 it would be even more rushed, convoluted, and changed since it would be far less likely to even succeed. At least on the wii you have people who are looking for this sort of innovative, unique, dreamlike experience. the whole essence of what the nintendo Wii is about gameplay wise is perfect for NiGHTS.
Call me an optimist, but Im going to remain highly excited about this game and probably hype it to the sky even after its release.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

As far as I'm away, it was a trailer made for the press. So not one we're likely to see. Well we might, just all spruced up and with a better framerate maybe. It bothers me that the framerate was so bad though, from what I understand there wasn't any real-time gameplay in it, just replay-ish stuff like when you finish a level in the original.

About the framerate though, GTA IV has a god-awful framerate, it's still being shown. Shadow the Hedgehog PS2 had a near-unplayable framerate, that was still released. Sonic 06 had problems in that department too, hell even Secret Rings did. Poor framerate isn't rare these days sadly. I can't see that problem holding back any showings.

I've never heard of Secret rings having a bad framerate, and I play it all the time. Level 85, Sonic is running through stages at speeds that blow my mind.

Louis

Louis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
The desert level and the pirate level both suffer from slowdown every now and then. It's not game-breaking, just jarring. Still, but todays standards it's not seen as a problem. Bad framerates annoy me more than most I think. I have trouble playing though Halo 2 what with the choppy rate. So if people are calling JoD bad, that really, really worries me.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

The desert level and the pirate level both suffer from slowdown every now and then. It's not game-breaking, just jarring. Still, but todays standards it's not seen as a problem. Bad framerates annoy me more than most I think. I have trouble playing though Halo 2 what with the choppy rate. So if people are calling JoD bad, that really, really worries me.

Pirate storm and... I can't remember the Desert's name. XP I'll try those.

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Okay, I played through Pirate Storm and Sand Oasis, then compared them to Dinosaur Jungle and Evil Foundry. I'm not noticing any framerate problems.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I figured this was worth puting up for those of us living in and around the UK.
I just popped over to Amazon.co.uk and did a search for JoD. They're saying the release date for the game is 21st December.
At first i put it down to maybe that it's 'their own' date for selling the game and maybe the game is being released earlier everywhere else....but it actually says that this item will be released on the 21st and that pre-ordering it means they'll dispatch it to your house on the day of release.

So...maybe i'm just getting way ahead of myself but...have they pulled it back even further than the November deadline? I mean, Amazon have always been reliable whenever i've bought from them. I pre-ordered San Andreas months before it was released and i did actually recieve it on that very same day that it hit the shelves...so i think Amazon are acurate with their dates. Or does this new date seem a bit iffy to you?

Link to the amazon page is here.

So, talk to me people. What do you think about this new date and do you think it's official?

Tangocat777

Tangocat777

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hey, Digi. Check the link on the first post. I can't see a release date, there's just a pre-release date. Pre-release ships 11/13/07. They moved it back. Huzzah! Now if only we knew when they are released to the public. I'm thinking that the Amazon time is quite possibly the actual release date. This release date really suits me. I suppose now I can pre-order Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, and still have time to save up and pre-order JoD. They also get more time for stuff.

Edit: now Wikipedia sez Nocember 13 2007. I have no idea of which to believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users