Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Jet Set/Grind Radio

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I just bought this game for the Dreamcast, and I love it!

The plot: In an Asian city called Tokyo-to (Tokyo for short), a crazy militaristic cop is out to get the various gangs who graffitti each district (Shibuya-cho, Kogane-cho, or Benten-cho). You are a member of the GG gang, so you need to clim your turf, save you dog, and not get arrested in the process.

It's not as GTA-ish as it sounds; it's really fun. The cell-shaded graphics are fun, the villains are over the top, and the gameplay is addictive. Definately check it out if you can, or look for it's Xbox sequel, Jet Set Radio Future. I know nothing about the sequel, but it's probably good, too.

So, what do you all thing of the game?

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Kyaaaaaaaaa~ I LOVE THAT GAME. I did, back when I could play it, and I still do. Gratz, gratz, gratz! It is so much fun to perfect your grinding and tricks so you sail through levels like you own the place... Siiiigh... <3 <3 <3

I owned the xbox game too, which is more of an alternate telling of the first than a sequel or anything. It's pretty fun, but I didn't like the remixes of the soundtrack so much, and the cel shading isn't quite so cartoony. I guess I'm just being picky cuz I loved the original so. ^^

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I love it lots and lots. Especially the general design of everything. Why don't most games have this color and super-cool style??? I'd rather be looking at Dreamcast-era awesomeness than Playstation 3 "realistic dirt-colored everything."
I think Jet Set Radio Future for Xbox was a bit better though, everything feels a lot faster-paced, simpler - cutting out the "stop and move the analog pad in certain directions" to tag things, and overall smoother. Plus, even better graphics.

One thing I never understood was why the American title was changed to "Jet Grind Radio" - it doesn't flow nearly as nicely. I'd like to try "De La Jet Set Radio" at some point - it was the Japanese special edition that included music from the North American/European versions, as well as two new levels. PLUS it apparently has English subtitles. But it's rare and expensive...

The soundtrack is great too, I wish Hideki Naganuma worked on more games; I've bought the OSTs for JSR, JSRF, and Sonic Rush... but the original JSR turned out to be a bootleg. T_T I'll re-buy it eventually!

The death of Smilebit was really a tragedy from when Sega was taken over/merged with Sammy. All of their games that I've played were AMAZING.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Never did finish JSR. Got up to the level with the abandoned(?) train tracks and stopped. Fun little game. Reminds me of Fur Fighters except without the skating and tagging. Just has a lot more collecting and shooting.

Never tried the XBox one. Wasn't a fan of the system. Heh heh. Still remember being stuck on the DC version for days on one level just because I didn't know where the last tag spot was. Sneaky level designers.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Still remember being stuck on the DC version for days on one level just because I didn't know where the last tag spot was. Sneaky level designers.

That's certainly is ablessing and a curse. I hate not finding things, but it's so much fun to run around and explore! Once I was just running around, a BAM! A door. :D

The game leads to a lot of questions, such as:

1. Who hired Officer Warmonger? (Not his name, but...that guy has issues)
2. When did anyone think it was a good idea to send in THE AIRFORCE to SHOOT DOWN kids for skating?
3. Why don't the civilians react?
4. How long would it take to make a Beat cosplay?

And so it goes...

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
To continue...

5. Does Tab use deodorant? (Please tell me I'm not the only one who thought he had sweatstains every time he raised his arms)
6. How is Gum a Magical Girl?
7.What is love!?

:D

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
8. Are the police in Tokyo really this crazy?
9. Why is the floating spray paint in the sewer?
10. A SWAT Team? Really? :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I played the demo a lot, but for whatever reason never got the whole game. I kinda hate myself for it. I just wonder now if we'll ever get a new one on the seemingly tailor-made Wii, or maybe on the PS3 now or whatever. Motion controlled JSR now please!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

7.What is love!?

Love is free!

leox001

leox001

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Love is free!

Free love is too tame for him~

--------

I LOVE Jet Set Radio, I always listen to the soundtrack in RadioSEGA, the game is great, they should release a remake for wii and BRING BACK THE SPRAYING MECHANICS!

I found really fun to spray stuff with the analog stick, the rest of the game is superb aswell.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I got the game on DC just yesterday and love it! Its the most fun playing a skating game I've ever had. I laughed my ass off at the disclaimer screen about how Sega does not in any way support vandalism. I love the sound track as well. Definitely one of Sega's better games.

Ozcrash

Ozcrash

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
NiGHTS
Sonic
and
Jet Set Radio

all are sega's best :)

i lvoe jet set radio, have played it on an emulator before but the emulator cant open it anymore... unfortunately i dont have a xbox and there isnt any emulator for that so i can't play its sequel

i agree that unrealistic games are much more addictive than the nextgen games we have today :)

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I never played Jet Set Radio Future but I would love to if I can get my xbox back, I bet I can get Jet Set/Grind radio off PSN?

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I laughed my ass off at the disclaimer screen about how Sega does not in any way support vandalism.

That was hilarious. It was like "Grafitti is art and a form of expression...but Sega doesn't want you to do it." Horray fo pretentious disclaimers! :)

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I guess they had to do it, otherwise a lot of parents would have been upset. But honestly, no one is gonna try to actually go out and do something from a video game. You don't see any of our forum members trying to jump off buildings and fly around their cities like in NiD, do you? lol

I love JGR/JSR because in what other game can you so cartoonishly go around a city on skates and get away with vandalism while listening to funky jpop? lol

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I guess they had to do it, otherwise a lot of parents would have been upset. But honestly, no one is gonna try to actually go out and do something from a video game. You don't see any of our forum members trying to jump off buildings and fly around their cities like in NiD, do you? lol

Um...of course not! It's not like *I* jump off buildings...:P

APSJ

APSJ

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Best Dreamcast game. Period. I felt that Dreamcast was the last game system with a library specifically catered to what're called "core gamers" nowadays. And Jet Set Radio exemplified the style and general feel that the Dreamcast was all about! Love it.

It's a shame that they really dropped the ball with JSRF. Yeah they improved the controls a lot, but it's like the developers took a look at everything that made Jet Set Radio's gameplay great and swept it away.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

It's a shame that they really dropped the ball with JSRF. Yeah they improved the controls a lot, but it's like the developers took a look at everything that made Jet Set Radio's gameplay great and swept it away.

I've got to ask what you thought made the original's gameplay great - IMO the drawing motions for graffiti was pretty nonessential. The tighter controls and much faster gameplay make me inclined to prefer JSRF.
I'm fine with you prefering the original, but I don't see why you would think they "really dropped the ball" for the second one...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
If they ever make another Jet Set Radio, an option to import your own music would be cool. I'd love to skate around Shibuya to the elegant tones of Mr. Johnny Rotten. :D

So, what's everyone's favorite -cho? I'm partial to Benten myself, with it's neon lights, dark backdrops for said neon lights to pop, and collection of fun little paths, like the train tracks.

APSJ

APSJ

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I hate when I watch a horror movie that isn't scary at all. It's boring when there's no tension to keep you interested.

For the most part, what I think makes games great is what I think makes movies great: good tension. That's just me though. I thought those segments in which you gotta stop and tag were exactly what made the game, at least when cops were right on your ass. There's a great sense of immersive urgency when you're struggling to throw up your piece before the cops get to you, especially since they're a real threat.

Where's the tension in JSRF? The cops pose no threat whatsoever for most of the game, especially since the tagging and police fighting are separate from each other… AND you're not timed. It's great that the controls are so much more responsive (I hated constantly jumping in the Dreamcast original to pick up grinding speed), but it was just wasted potential. They could have kept the game in line with the original and made the Future baddies that much more menacing.

JSR, to me, was all about the thrill of tagging in the face of incredible danger. The clock made sure that you were always on the move too.

But in JSRF it's just: tag at your own pace, mow down some harmless cops, repeat. JSRF's open world, with no time limits and separate battles, gave the game a much more leisurely pace. Sure, you're capable of more impressive tricks, but you're never on the edge of your seat because there's rarely anything driving the tension in the main gameplay.

But I still liked JSRF, just not as much as the first game. It was fun figuring out how to get all the graffiti souls. It was maddening sometimes, especially when you can't read Japanese and you're looking up and down the HUGE levels for a very specific set of characters somewhere. The only tension in the game came from performing the crazy tricks those souls asked of you.

Oh and I liked Benten-cho the best too. Descending on those tight streets the first time while "Miller Ball Breakers" played in the background was among my favorite moments in any game ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users