Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The First DLC

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Right, i figured i should get the discussion on this rolling. I would like to speak with you NiGHTS fans about the DLC that SEGA/SUMO are working on.

As you know, it has been mentioned at places that DLC is indeed being made for ASR. Various people from various areas of the company have stated that they're working on DLC for the game.
Why am i bringing this up? Well ...it's just a thought that crossed my mind and something i think i should maybe mention...

in regards to NiGHTS related topics connecting to ASR, whenever something with NiGHTS was happening i was finding out about it.
As of yet, i have not heard anything about NiGHTS since the flag-waver thing occured. Now, this could just mean the sources i have had have gone quiet because they're choosing to remain quiet HOWEVER that's not the way things have worked with this campaign. As of this point, because i've not heard anything yet i am lead to believe that whatever DLC they're currently working on is not NiGHTS.

Plus, another factor to take in to consideration was the Last Wave of emails we sent to SEGA. I did check up on it to see if the Last Wave had traveled at all within the company and it most certainly has. I was told that the people who need to read this and need convincing did receive it. I was told this after all the talks about ASR DLC started popping up in interviews and such.

Now, as i said, this is jut me speculating on pieces of evidence i have so far. But if i did get confirmation that NiGHTS dlc is infact being made then technically i wouldn't be starting this topic.

So, why do i bring this up all of a sudden?
Well, i'm thinking as to what the first DLC could be then. If it's not NiGHTS, who was highly demanded, what could the first DLC be instead of NiGHTS?

Most importanly though, i know dlc costs money for SEGA. Whatever this first bunch of dlc is going to be might be the key factor in us eventually getting NiGHTS. SEGA might want to see how well DLC will sell for this game in general. If this first bunch sells well then they may not have any trouble with making NiGHTS dlc afterwards.

I'm going to be buying the dlc regardless what it is of as i want to get the most out from this game. However, i feel that if NiGHTS is not currently being developed as DLC then whatever this first bunch of DLC is then I should show support for NiGHTS in the long run by purchasing whatever they're about to give us now.

-edit-
As of April 1st, Metal Sonic has been confirmed as the first DLC.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Since the game has barely been out for two weeks I'm inclined to think it won't be anything huge like new tracks or characters, forklift Ryo aside. But at the same time I can't think of what else there is to add so I'm kind of at a loss. The only thing that really comes to mind is new music tracks to choose, but I really don't know.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I read somewhere that either S0L or someone at SUMO mentioned they had 'tested' out the dlc and that it was quite interesting/exciting/nice. I can't remember for the life of me who said it and where but they definitely made it sound like it was something along the lines of either a character or a track. Either way, it seemed to indiciate the kind of content that is playable.

Does anybody know the quote i'm talking about? I'm sure i read it somewhere. I'm lead to believe it was over at the Sonic Stadium but i can't be sure. I know i have read it though.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
S0L said it at SEGA some time ago.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
All I'm seeing in my head is blue, blue skies over Daytona.

Chime

Chime

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I highly doubt NiGHTS is going to be a DLC. For me that was sealed when he became a flagman.

Can't be both. Else they will have to switch the flag man, and that's not something they will do imo.

I believe it's gonna be new tracks.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
If NiGHTS isn't first, hopefully it means that they're making his appearence extra special. Like perhaps a replacement flagman (Reeree?), music (They have it from Tennis.), or even a track. There's still time; at least the campaign is working.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Well if NiGHTS isn't to become a racer than a NiGHTS track perhaps? I wouldn't know if there was one or not as I don't own the game yet.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
I have strong hopes for NiGHTS DLC. But maybe there hasn't been word about it because the game was JUST released. They're still getting monies off of regular sales, so maybe Sega wants to wait until the sales slow down before they release DLC.

But my brother told me he read somewhere that there might be a Metal Sonic DLC pack with Stardust Speedway coming. I've tried to find that somewhere, but I couldn't find it. I'm not sure though, he knows his way around Sonic sites.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Can't be both.

Just like there's two Ryo Hazuki's on the track, right?

This statement i've seen pop up at various points online and i'd like to add how stupid it is. No offence, mind. The whole point of DLC is it 'changes content and/or adds content to a game'. Should NiGHTS get playable DLC there is NOTHING stopping the dlc also changing the current flag-waver from NiGHTS to any other character.

Even that, there are TWO NiGHTS'. If you've ever played NiD or JoD, NiGHTS splits in to two beings when facing Wizeman. So there is nothing stopping from a NiGHTS waving the flag and a NiGHTS racing.

innit.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
XD In JoD NiGHTS can split into like 74746827346746 mini versions of himself in Crystal Castle.
(And let us not forget the Billy Hatcher cameo.)

Posted Image

Chime

Chime

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
OH YEAH! ok digi you got me there. I meant it more in the way that they KNEW the fans wanted it to be a playable character and they got around it, it feels like. You know? For some reason they seem to be reluctant ?
But I'll take my NiGHTS flagman too, pretty cool he still made it in!!

I guess I just got discouraged. I just don't understand why it has to be like pulling teeth to get NiGHTS anything. Especially considering the original was one of the most innovative games at the time and is a fan favourite.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.

Posted Image

Lmao xD Pictionary with you would be epic<3 *shotgun's TRiPPY on his team*

I'm kinda still stumped at what the first DLC could possibly be, though that Metal Sonic pack sounds kewl @_@ But i'm sure we'll see NiGHTS soon.

MiSSA17

MiSSA17

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a very important question! Do you know how many copies of nights journey of dreams were sold? On vgchartz.com they don't have sales from europe...just japan with 40.000 and America with 250.000 copies. Please tell me if you know what the total sales of NiGHTS Journey of Dreams are!

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

I have a very important question! Do you know how many copies of nights journey of dreams were sold? On vgchartz.com they don't have sales from europe...just japan with 40.000 and America with 250.000 copies. Please tell me if you know what the total sales of NiGHTS Journey of Dreams are!

I don't know the sales in Europe. But just to let you know, I have heard that VGChartz isn't always correct. I have no idea myself how correct it is, I'm just warning you that you may want to take it with a grain of salt.

It's disappointing that NiGHTS isn't the first DLC. I guess I didn't really expect him to be the first, but I did kind of hope. I'm confident that he'll come later, though, if this DLC experiment of theirs works well and we keep making noise. I feel bad that I won't be able to support DLC by buying whatever it is when it comes out, since I only have a Wii, but I'm getting the game next week so I can at least add to the game's sales numbers while I save up for my PS3. :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. thinking about it, if Sumo had any trouble in honing NiGHTS for ASR, they know who to turn to.. though I suppose they'd handle in themselves all the same. For example, with NiGHTS's All Star move, what would his power up icon be? All the Ideya, like how Sonic has the Chaos Emeralds? I guess that makes the most sense..
Also, I wonder if it would be possible to have NiGHTS form a Paraloop by flying in a circular motion as viewed from behind; it could still work. I wonder if it'd be feasible. It'd be too good to pass up, it's his most distinguishing move. You'd be able to make two or three during the All Star move. It'd take up a good portion of the field, could still be rode around, resets all racers that get caught in it in that place; kills their momentum.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
The first DLC...

Is nothing but an unlock key for all tracks and characters. I was hoping for AT LEAST Forklift Ryo.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

The first DLC...

Is nothing but an unlock key for all tracks and characters. I was hoping for AT LEAST Forklift Ryo.

That's great for some, but I'm sure a lot of fans already have spent the miles on most tracks and characters. But it's just the first DLC! We have time!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.

That's great for some, but I'm sure a lot of fans already have spent the miles on most tracks and characters. But it's just the first DLC! We have time!

It's not really that great. Even if you lose horribly you still get Sega miles so this DLC just seems like a cheap cash in. I also think it's a terrible way to gauge demand for future DLC if Sega is taking that into consideration for this.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
This' Unlock All' DLC is complete and utter shyte. Seriously. I can guarantee you SEGA thought of this, no doubt in my mind. This is the kind crappy childish concept they'll shove in a game like ASR. Aww, can't the kiddies unlock all the other characters? Let's give them EVERYTHING! And CHARGE them for it! :D .... ugh.

I'm just going to completely overlook this DLC and pray it doesn't effect the rest of upcomming dlc. I don't even want to consider this as DLC because the stuff is already in the game. It's a silly little short-cut that only nimrods are going to pay for rather than playing the game properly and earn everything themselves.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Burnout Paradise, among other games, also offers similar Insta-reward-for-money DLC, and it's the only DLC that REALLY is about getting more money with not actual work on the publisher/developer's part. Depending on your perspective, it can be seen as anything from a cop-out to make it easy for people to have access to all they paid for, a way for charging people to get everything due to lack of time to unlock it "properly", or...yeah, there's plenty of negative ways to look at this, and very few positives if any. At least things like skins, which are also grossly overpriced for most DLC, ADD something to the game. This is like releasing Super Smash Bros with 50 characters to unlock, only having 8 available from the start, and then charging people to unlock it. For racing games with unlockable characters and tracks and whatnot, I can see why people want to play to unlock them. But, just like fighting games with unlockable characters and guitar hero games with unlockable tracks, some people want it for the multiplayer and party experience. Charging to unlock everything is an underhanded way for people to have access to the "full experience".

"You just bought the game but don't have enough time between work and school to play enough to unlock Ryo and all the characters to play with your friends? Pay us money and you can!"

Both main perspectives can see this as wrong: taking the challenge and incentive out of playing the game to its fullest, as well as charging people who want everything off-the-bat money to get it. They really should have called it NDLC: Nickel & Dime-ing Lazy Customers.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Yes, it's foolish to spend money on something that can be gotten for free, but you don't have to buy it. If you have the money and want instant gratification for multiplayer, great! Get the DLC. If not, great! Work for you goal, and spend the money on something better. It's just the beginning, so to start with huge characters or courses might just not be feasible as they iron out any potential problems. Games with DLC tend to do well (gross generalization), so I can't see Sega giving up after one try. Even Samba de Amigo for Wii had three song packs before suddenly stopping. The first time is not always the end-all, be-all.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
Unlock DLC = What used to be cheat codes in gaming's past

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
S0L made a Tweet possibly hinting at Metal Sonic.. http://twitter.com/S0LSUM0

Just noticed that tweet he made back on my birfday about us, good times lol

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I'm 90% certain this is going to be Metal Sonic. It's a easy sell to a huge fanbase of people. SEGA would be playing it safe and earning a nice sum of cash.

I'm just hoping they go on to make more DLC after this one.

Bannipper

Bannipper

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

S0L made a Tweet possibly hinting at Metal Sonic.. http://twitter.com/S0LSUM0

Just noticed that tweet he made back on my birfday about us, good times lol

Pardon me, but which twitter thing was it that hinted at MS? They all just seem to look more like short diary entries to me.

Anyway, that bit with the unlock everything thing is stupid. I guarantee you I would NEVER buy anything like that. I'd unlock everything honorably.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Pardon me, but which twitter thing was it that hinted at MS? They all just seem to look more like short diary entries to me.

I believe it's this one.

Steel, iron, aluminum. Something in common...

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
Aside from NiGHTS, the Main things I want as a DLC are the Hornet from Daytona USA and The Ferrari from Outrun.
Outrun and Daytona are the first 2 things that comes to mind when I think of Sega and Racing.

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.
I heard of the first DLC, and it saids that it will unlock everything. But I already unlocked everything by playing throughout the game. There's no point of paying 400MS to get everything that was already in the game. So I waiting for the next DLC. And now I heard that DLC that Lycett giving us hint happened to be Steel,aluminum,and iron. But I'm sure that NiGHTS will come to compete as a racer. There's no stopping her.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
360 Avatar DLC http://www.tssznews....lc-on-thursday/

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
...And the plot thickens. The 360 seems to be getting all the treats with ASR; is there some agreement between Sumo/Sega and Microsoft? At least this time it's something new, so there's reasons to be excited.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Avatar items are up today. NiGHTS missing as usual.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Kinda pissed off with this, to be honest. sh!t like Monkey Ball gets two pieces. Why couldn't have NiGHTS have been one of them? Hm? Like, maybe have a mini-NiGHTS flying around waving a chequered flag. Or a NiGHTS hat that us fans can wear? No?

*sigh*

ef it all.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Hey, we can't get EVERY break. We still get to see sexy NiGHTS-ass during the races, right? I understand the frustration but it's not like we're going to be first in line for DLC because we were last in the process of being included in some way at all. Why don't one of you awesome people with a PS3 or PSP plan on making a NiGHTS racer for Modnation Racers?
http://en.wikipedia....odNation_Racers

...eh? Next-best thing? Eh???? EEEEEEHHHHH?

We can keep talking about it but let's give it a few more DLC releases before getting all pissy. It does suck that there are no avatar items but I have the feeling that this DLC has been in the works since it was decided to have "360 exclusive" content (aka. the moment fanjo-kablooie was destined to be stuck on the cover art).

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
NiGHTS would have made some cool avatar accessories.

*grump*

But the crab is adorable.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
At least it's DLC. *shrug*

We know know to work harder than ever. We've gotten noticed and we have flagbabe, but know that we know that there's a distinct possibility for NiGHTS DLC, it's no time to rest on our laurels.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Hey, we can't get EVERY break. We still get to see sexy NiGHTS-ass during the races, right? I understand the frustration but it's not like we're going to be first in line for DLC because we were last in the process of being included in some way at all. Why don't one of you awesome people with a PS3 or PSP plan on making a NiGHTS racer for Modnation Racers?
http://en.wikipedia....odNation_Racers

...eh? Next-best thing? Eh???? EEEEEEHHHHH?

We can keep talking about it but let's give it a few more DLC releases before getting all pissy. It does suck that there are no avatar items but I have the feeling that this DLC has been in the works since it was decided to have "360 exclusive" content (aka. the moment fanjo-kablooie was destined to be stuck on the cover art).

I'm very interested in ModNation Racers and I plan on getting it. I could try to make a NiGHTS racer. I made a NiGHTS level on LittleBigPlanet a while back. Right now I'm trying to make a Space Channel 5 level but I don't know how I'm going to set it up yet.

I'm really hoping that all the DLC won't be 360 exlusive. I doubt it will but if it is that would really suck for us PS3 owners who don't have 360s. But still, I may finally get a 360 this year. I'm waiting until e3 to see if MS can finally wow me again.

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...
http://www.tssznews....e-done-with-it/

Don't be too worried about the title, folks. :P

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
"There’s something else you may have noticed–no hints were given as to what exactly is coming. That’s where we come in: TSSZ News has been given some independent insight as to who and what has been considered for ASR DLC, as well as what could be next to surface. Notice the use of the term “what” and not “who”–you may have mixed feelings on what we know, but you’ll know it too–when we tell you about it in a story Tuesday."

Haha okay, there's one of two things being referenced here:

1) The author of the article is teasing with a what, instead of a who, because it's not a racer and rather something like a track or accessories.
2) The author of the article is teasing with a what, instead of a who, because it is a racer who's gender or species isn't clearly defined.

Heh the mixed feelings bit is making me a bit suspicious. Though I'm sure much if not all of this is speculation, since none of what I just quoted came from Lycett. Just good to know it's done and just waiting on Sega's whims for releasing.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I take TSSZ with enough salt to give one a heart attack, but SOL's quotes are intersting. Let's take a look, shall we?

"'DLC is coming – and I beleive most people will be happy when it hits,' Lycett said under his S0L handle Saturday at the Sega forums."

That's a good sign. Aside from ToeJam and Earl and Forklift Ryu, has anything else been asked for by fans? Forklift is out of the question, because it would reduce the value of the promotion, and I don't recall the results of the TJ & E dealings. NiGHTS or a track would be my only other guesses.

“From what I’m hearing though it’s not much longer. Certainly we’re done with it bar any last minute headaches.”

NiGHTS' model is pretty much there from SST. Al they needed to do was tweak it to remove the raquet and make an All-Star move. It's most likely wishful thinking, but only Sumo and Sega know for sure...

“You’ll notice we’ve not announced a release date – that’s as sometimes it’s not entirely under our control,” Lycett added.

Interesting. It shows that Sega doesn't give them a strict deadline to rush something out by, unless Sega like to just sit on DLC...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users