Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SO who has it?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I'm loving this game to pieces but there is one little complaint I have...

Shadow is broken!

There, I said it.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I don't see why everyone keeps saying Shadow is broken. Not that i use the character, i'm busting all kinds of ass using AmyRose and BD Joe but i'm curious to know what makes Shadow broken?

I know motorbikes have the whole 'wheelie' thing going on giving them an extra boost but other than that i can't see how Shadow is borked.

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.
Shadow is all right, but Sonic is my number favorite character and my number one hero. I've been his fan since 1991.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
About Shadow, in a nutshell, at worst he's good at evrything and excels in a lot of areas. He's the only character as far as I can tell who has no weak areas.

-Good acceleration
-Great boost off the start line
-Good top speed
-Great cornering
-Even better drifting
-Boosts charge quickly
-Boosts are great
-Wheelies let him boost at will
-Air tricks are stupid fast.

If anything what I think puts shadow over the edge is how strong his boosts are for how easy they are to charge. He can charge boosts off any damn bump on the track thanks to the no-hands trick, drifting is his forte and yes, there are the wheelies. I don't think wheelies are that big an advantage for motorcylces since they make the racer vulnerable and all the other bikers have some kind of drawback to keep them in check. Shadow is the only exception.

You probably noticed whoever can break away from the infighting and get the lead first has a great advantage in any race. Shadow has the tools to break away at almost any given time, especially at the start and when he does get the lead he's great at keeping it.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I've never played a good Shadow. :P

Alex Kidd FTW!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
So that's how Shadow is broken, is it? ...haha. Hahaha! So all those Shadow players i've been beating online with Amy Rose now have something to really feel depressed about! Perhaps i should take them on with Big next. They'll be on Prozac the next morning! XD

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
There's something wrong with Shadow? Every time I use him, I'm kicking people's a** online and offline. And I don't even use all of his advantages(expect for the starting line thing, but i do that with every character lol). Though, when other people use Shadow online, I do beat them....hmm...

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I don't think Shadow is broken... and I'm not just saying that because currently he's my most used char.
I can play as most of the other characters and stay about as well ahead of the pack as I can with Shadow... save characters with awful handling...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
The computer seems to like Shadow; he's always the fastest CPU in Grand Prix for some reason.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Hm.. word is UK sales are doing pretty good. I've seen some ASR commercials on TV, do you guys over there get a lot of ads for it?

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
I haven't noticed that Shadow was broken. He actually seems like one of the best racers to me. Not that I actually use Shadow though. My most frequents are Aiai, Sonic, and Alex Kidd.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I haven't noticed that Shadow was broken. He actually seems like one of the best racers to me. Not that I actually use Shadow though. My most frequents are Aiai, Sonic, and Alex Kidd.

The joke is that he is one of the best racers. Sumo must have "accidentally forgotten" to give him problems. :lol:

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Urban Dictionary: broken

I never meant broken as in he sucks and I was never making a joke.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

An advanced technique for flyers was just found and now people are putting Shadow to shame on the leaderboards.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

An advanced technique for flyers was just found and now people are putting Shadow to shame on the leaderboards.

Keeping in mind time trial =/= a competitive race. Too many variables are removed. Even if you can steer drifts on straightaways, that won't mean squat if you can't keep the charge.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Keeping in mind time trial =/= a competitive race. Too many variables are removed. Even if you can steer drifts on straightaways, that won't mean squat if you can't keep the charge.

Someone on SEGA says he's been doing it in online races and it's helping him greatly.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

True, "joke" probably wasn't the best word, but it made the most sense of any phrase when not taken as the "knock knock" variety. Sorry if it offended you.

What's the secret for flyers? I don't notice any differences between the character types...

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

True, "joke" probably wasn't the best word, but it made the most sense of any phrase when not taken as the "knock knock" variety. Sorry if it offended you.

What's the secret for flyers? I don't notice any differences between the character types...

The flyers can infinitely drift if you use acertain technique which also grants the ability of infinite level 3 boosts for them (that is to say, they can get lvl 3 boost whenever they please, not that they are boosting forever).

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...
I finally bought this game yesterday, after two weeks of excitement and....

THE BEST KART RACER EVAAAAAAAAAA!

Ahem. Ok Chloe, calm down.

In all seriousness though, kart racers don't get much better than that. I have Mario Kart Wii, and it doesn't live up to ASR as much as one might think. The characters are just badass *cough* Jacky *cough*, and the tracks are just a delight. The only problem I have with the game are those damn Super Monkey Ball tracks. Not that they're poorly designed or anything, just that I hate the sudden twists and turns! Seriously, flying into a wall every two seconds is not fun. On the Monkey Target track, I got confused as to where to go when you go up those dual ramps, and ended up in last place, about one minute behind everyone else.

And of course, NiGHTS not being playable. Let's just hope that SEGA decide to put him in as DLC. :(

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Clearly my plans of buying a 360 have been temporarily delayed. SOON!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
The Monkey Ball tracks are pure evil. You'd think I know where the turns are by now, but NO.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

The Monkey Ball tracks are pure evil. You'd think I know where the turns are by now, but NO.

I full-heartedly agree! Not one of those tracks do I enjoy racing on!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I full-heartedly agree! Not one of those tracks do I enjoy racing on!

Oddly enough, the Monkey Ball battle stage is my favourite...

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I hate Monkey Ball. Kinda always have, really. Besides, the original SEGA mascot-monkey should be Amigo. At least he's got a vibe about him. Dude wants to party. Aiai? ...family monkey. likes banana's. wooh.

On a serious note though, i hate the Monkey Ball levels BUT i've mastered the first one. I forgot the name of it now but once you've pinpointed where all those turns are you feel like a god amongst men when you overlapping everybody else who's having trouble, lol! Honestly, try mastering that first level and you'll see how fun it is.

The other two Monkey Ball tracks can go die tho. No matter how many times i play them, whether it would be a good or bad run, i still dislike them.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
The Desert one is awesome though. ;_;

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

The Desert one is awesome though. ;_;

It is. I'm fairly good at that one, but the others...gah.

What relation do they have to Monkey Ball? All I remember is nondescript floating checkerboards...

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

On a serious note though, i hate the Monkey Ball levels BUT i've mastered the first one. I forgot the name of it now but once you've pinpointed where all those turns are you feel like a god amongst men when you overlapping everybody else who's having trouble, lol! Honestly, try mastering that first level and you'll see how fun it is.

The other two Monkey Ball tracks can go die tho. No matter how many times i play them, whether it would be a good or bad run, i still dislike them.

Yeah, I've mastered Treetops, but those other two are evil.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
i...GOTZ IT! =D
Wow, I'm loving this game. It actually feels fast, unlike Mario Kart. I ran into the walls for the first few moments of me trying it out, but I adjusted to the feel of it pretty quickly and got 1st place in my first single player race. The Treetops Monkey Ball stage is the only one I've gotten last in. I see why you all hate it. I hate it, too. >< It's very unforgiving, and I can't follow the edge of the track to tell where to go, like how I usually do. Overall I've been doing pretty well so far, but the Knockout mission with Knuckles has me stuck for now. I've been playing games for about 2 hours straight, so I had to stop. XD I'll try again tomorrow.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
For any UK members who a didn't get it yet.. free toy! http://emeraldcoast....n-uk-highstreet

Oh wait.. old link? Ah.

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.
Got the PC version of the game last Saturday. Oh man, that's addictive...

To tell the truth, I didn't expect it would be this enjoyable - but that mostly due to my poor gaming skills. Poor racing games skills, anyway, Rides was hard for me... But ASR feels like a breeze! It's so much fun to be able to blast through the track and actually kick ass...
And with Amy, of course. Recalling how she was the only one to drive a car in Sonic R, I begin to wonder if that's where her driving skills come from))

I agree that Sonic tracks could use a bit of a variety - I'm saying "Sonic" because I'm not that familiar with other titles... but I guess Hatcher's one could use that, too. There was... around three SeaPalace-themed tracks, right? But other than that, it's really fun to play.
My favourite is Shibuya Downtown, though)

The fun thing is, I don't see how Shadow is amazing. That maybe because I'm not that familiar with the gameplay, or that I play on PC, or anything... Take Whale Lagoon - with Amy, I was able to put quite a distance between myself and the other racers. With Shadow? Took some effort to come in first. It wasn't that hard, but still...
One fun thing about Shadow? An effect Ulala's AllStars move has on him. That was a bit out of character, but that was so cute somehow...

Oh, and I want to see the commentator's lines written down somewhere - can't make them out half the time (sorry). Written down, or maybe I just need to change options a bit to hear him better.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
So I'm now the owner of an Xbox 360! But I don't have the money for this game ATM. SHORTLY! Thankfully, I'm once again a gainfully employed fellow.

I got three free games for the system but none I really care about... It came with Halo 3 ODST and Forza Motorsport 3, and I got Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts to Bolts for free since I had an original Xbox Live account. Unfortunately, it wouldn't recognize the gamertag I used for original Xbox, so I had to make a new one... since all my leaderboard scores are vanishing tomorrow, it's not such a huge loss though. THAT'S MY STORY!

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
Got it about half a week ago. Done online play, bought everything, at least A'd the missions and got 1st on all of the cups.
One question though/ Besides the missions, I've only played as Knuckles, minus online play when someone else is Knux. Then I'm Ulala. ANYWAY~ My records say my favorite racer is AiAi... But I've played as him as many times as he's in the missions, which isn't a lot. So... What? Am I missing something when it comes to your generated 'favorite' racer and course?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I just think the game is stupid about keeping track of that stuff. I've been using Jacky religiously since release and it says Aiai is my most used as well.

Nemain

Nemain

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I just think the game is stupid about keeping track of that stuff. I've been using Jacky religiously since release and it says Aiai is my most used as well.

Agreed. I've switched characters a lot since I started doing the time trials yet it says my favourite is still Opa Opa... True I use it a lot online, but hardly ever for anything else. The PS3 version of the game is also notoriously niggly for bugs in places. This might be just one of them if you are a PS3 user. If you're an Xbox user... Then I can't help you there. xD

Overall, despite the trophy issues (suffering with a Ghost Master glitch at the moment), the game is really fun and feels like the game Mario Kart Wii should have been. The AI are a little too elastic and item-happy on the harder difficulties and it's impossible to catch someone online if they get too far ahead as items become useless, but those are just small downers in an overall great game. Besides, it's all for fun at the end of the day - I'm hardly going to lose sleep over not winning an online match or because I'm missing a trophy! :D

Also... Sandy Drifts really isn't that bad once you get used to it. -shot-

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Agreed. I've switched characters a lot since I started doing the time trials yet it says my favourite is still Opa Opa... True I use it a lot online, but hardly ever for anything else. The PS3 version of the game is also notoriously niggly for bugs in places. This might be just one of them if you are a PS3 user. If you're an Xbox user... Then I can't help you there. xD

Overall, despite the trophy issues (suffering with a Ghost Master glitch at the moment), the game is really fun and feels like the game Mario Kart Wii should have been. The AI are a little too elastic and item-happy on the harder difficulties and it's impossible to catch someone online if they get too far ahead as items become useless, but those are just small downers in an overall great game. Besides, it's all for fun at the end of the day - I'm hardly going to lose sleep over not winning an online match or because I'm missing a trophy! :D

Also... Sandy Drifts really isn't that bad once you get used to it. -shot-

*un-shoots you* Sandy Drifts is the least bad of the Monkey Ball stages by far.

I love how positive the response to ASR has been! Maybe they could save the DLC material and release it as a sequel for the Wii if there's ever enough? I know I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
I quite love the Monkey Ball courses actually. Probably because I beat everyone on them on an online race. It makes me laugh that I got a useful piece of information from 'Sonic Says'~ I can actually play the last Monkey Ball level now~ Hooray for tapping the gas~
I still love Sumo for mentioning Sonic Says... And looking back at way old character bios~
Perhaps SUMO will make a patch to have your favorite racer not be Aiai~ Also I want the Sonia card on the pinball levels on the X-BOX version. 8P

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.
You're kidding. So I'm not the only one who lovws Super Monkey ball levels? Sweet. I like Super Monkey level.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Gah, Best Buy is having a sale on ASR, $29.99- http://www.bestbuy.c.....0stars racing

Edit: Now Amazon is too http://www.amazon.co...st/F5UYA2TFLZ72

TheSonicZephyr

TheSonicZephyr

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have to say Ryo is awesome, so much fun playing as him.

But I do find the Monkey ball levels slightly annoying (I might just not be good enough :D)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users