Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fake Memories?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I keep having lucid dreams in which I remember seeing what's going to happen next in the dream before, in a previous dream, and sure enough it does happen. But when I wake up, I can't recall any previous dream that was like that. It's been happening more during this last week or two when I've been sleeping in with the snow days. Has anyone else had this happen to them, or does anyone have an idea why this happens?

Mr.Me

Mr.Me

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Most sega games, older games (N64 and back), music, internet. . .something else. . .
But going by what your saying, your having memories of the past that you can't recall except in your dreams right? and if it is that, then how far in the past?

i don't think this is exactly like your situation, but it is similar, so it might get somewhere. Occasionally, i would have dreams that would happen in the near/far future, only to remember the dream after the incident has happend. Is that anything like your situation?

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I think I worded it confusingly. ^^; Sorry. I haven't been having memories of my real life past, I've been having memories of past dreams that I can't remember. I'll say to myself in the dream: Oh, I've had this dream before. But when I wake up, I can't remember that earlier dream. I have no idea how far in the past it goes. All I know is that these dreams feel very familiar. I've had some repeated dreams before, in my childhood before I remembered my dreams often. I had a nightmare twice about a snowman climbing up to my window to kill me. << And another frequent dream was of my dad dying. But these deja vu moments I don't recall any previous dream for, even though they're so familiar.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I think I worded it confusingly. ^^; Sorry. I haven't been having memories of my real life past, I've been having memories of past dreams that I can't remember. I'll say to myself in the dream: Oh, I've had this dream before. But when I wake up, I can't remember that earlier dream. I have no idea how far in the past it goes. All I know is that these dreams feel very familiar. I've had some repeated dreams before, in my childhood before I remembered my dreams often. I had a nightmare twice about a snowman climbing up to my window to kill me. << And another frequent dream was of my dad dying. But these deja vu moments I don't recall any previous dream for, even though they're so familiar.

That happens to me a lot. Recently I had a dream in a particular train station, but I couldn't remember exactly what happened in the last dream like that. It's was a different dream, but the same location. Upon thinking about it, I realized that I hadn't gone into the city with my cousin in a long time, which we used to always do at that station. She felt the same way, so we're making plans. :P

Your dreams can't be solved so easily, though. Have there been intense snowstorms or problems with your dad recently, that haven't been an issue for a while?

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
I recognize everything--scene and occurrences--during the dream, but unlike you, Noctourne, when I wake up I don't remember ever seeing any of it before. It's weird.

I'm a very confusing storyteller I realize now. :P I said those two dreams as examples of dreams that I did actually have multiples of as a child. I probably should've just omitted them.

However, there has been friction between me and my dad because he's pushing me to learn and engage in adult things, since I'll be going to college soon. Which is good because I need it, but it's just hard for me to do all the sudden. :/ A deja vu dream yesterday seemed to touch on this, when I dreamt we were all at a port city and there was something bad coming. I knew from when I "had the dream before" that it was going to be an invasion of a bunch of sea creatures and the whole place was going to be overrun, so we needed to get out of there asap. "Last time" we had been caught up in the big wave, it seems. But Dad wanted me to drive. I was flippin out. I was like "It takes too much time to adjust the mirrors and seat to my height and you drive much better and faster anyways, we don't have time for this!" But Mom sided with him, saying "See, this is what happens when you don't drive a long time, you forget how..." And she was gonna go on, but I just gave in because I knew there was no time to argue. After that, the dream took a different route from what supposedly happened the last time.

And there was another, on February 6, in which I dreamt of Max, my old cat who's been dead for over 5 years. I mistook him for Ren (my cat that I own now) at first because I wasn't expecting him. But then I realized it was him. I knew already it was a dream, but I was still surprised. I don't see many dead people in my dreams. During the dream, I recalled previous dreams where he'd appeared. In reality, I only remember one, or maybe two brief appearances. But in the dream I thought there had been more frequent and longer appearances of him. One of my brothers, in the dream, seemed to remember this, too, because he said that Max had appeared before--the real Max, and not a dream apparition. I was shocked by this information and wondered which of his previous appearances had been the real one. However, I was cautious of assuming this Max that I now saw was the real one. When he started talking and acting very suave and un-Max-like, my suspicions were confirmed. He tried to say he was Max, but I reiterated that he wasn't.

I've also had 4 dreams in the last 9 days in which I know the future--not because I've "had them" before, but because I instinctively know or some force in the background tells me. All these weird and dark dreams have been happening since we got snowed in. :/

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
So this is what I'm getting: basically you remember past dreams of yours when you have a dream like the past one, but you only remember those dreams in your dream you're in at the moment, and not in real life. Right?

I do have dreams that occur in a place where I've had a dream before. The only thing different is I remember all those dreams when I wake up. Usually the place where multiple dreams occur for me is somewhere that only exists in my dreams, instead of real-life places.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

So this is what I'm getting: basically you remember past dreams of yours when you have a dream like the past one, but you only remember those dreams in your dream you're in at the moment, and not in real life. Right?

Correct.

I do have dreams that occur in a place where I've had a dream before. The only thing different is I remember all those dreams when I wake up. Usually the place where multiple dreams occur for me is somewhere that only exists in my dreams, instead of real-life places.

That's interesting. Many of my dreams' scenery draw from the same real-life places, but any unique dream scenery I only see once, except in rare instances where I have a dream that is a continuation of the one that I had right before it. Which makes it all the more weird that I'm having this phenomenon, because these are happening in dream-only settings. I've only been remembering my dreams regularly for 2 years now. I wonder if I've been remembering them long enough to really tell if the dream scenery pops up more than once. :/ How often do you see the same non-real places?

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.

That's interesting. Many of my dreams' scenery draw from the same real-life places, but any unique dream scenery I only see once, except in rare instances where I have a dream that is a continuation of the one that I had right before it. Which makes it all the more weird that I'm having this phenomenon, because these are happening in dream-only settings. I've only been remembering my dreams regularly for 2 years now. I wonder if I've been remembering them long enough to really tell if the dream scenery pops up more than once. :/ How often do you see the same non-real places?

Not too often, actually. Maybe once or twice a month or so, I'll have a dream where I wake up and I'll remember that dream-place from another dream.

Something I should add though is I DO have re-occuring dreams in my school, house, etc. It just stands out for me when I have a handful of (remembered) dreams that occur in the same place that I created in my dreams.

It's a kinda cool feeling, cause I get a certain joy out of thinking about these places I subconsciously created, because some of them almost seem real to me now. For example, I could thoroughly explain a couple of the places. There's one that is an amusement park / strip mall that are on marshlands, and the place is huge. I could even explain the insides of stores or pathways of roller coasters. There's another one that is basically a torn-down, forgotten playground, and another that is a futuristic mall, where action-y dreams usually seem to occur. I've got more, but it'd be a bore.

EDIT: Just realized I rhymed there at the end. :blink:

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Not too often, actually. Maybe once or twice a month or so, I'll have a dream where I wake up and I'll remember that dream-place from another dream.

Hm. I'm not sure whether to conclude that these dream memories are just pieces of plots in books and such that I've seen, or that my dreams take longer to repeat than you. :/

I'll have dream-created scenery that's similar between dreams and could be considered in the same Nightopia/country, but things aren't exactly the same. It's as if I land in a different part of the same place. For example, I'm often inside of buildings with low lights and gray/brown walls that are--contrary to what you might be thinking--quite cozy and homey, probably because there's always a lot of people there. It's a pretty active place. People are hanging out or running around doing things. Once there was a video game convention in there, in another the building was a base for our secret rebel operations, and another time I saw a factory in a higher floor aboveground. However, the layout of the building--at least where I am--is different every time, and these don't trigger any feelings of deja vu while I'm dreaming.

The roller coaster sounds fun. I don't see enough of those in my dreams. Of course, there are other things that can make up for that...>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users