Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

We didn't forget NiGHTS!

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

S0L

S0L

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Right then – first off… We didn’t forget NiGHTS!

Just since you’ve all been trying to make him out from that blurry capture from Youtube, I figured we better put a nicer shot out! Consider this an exclusive :(

Posted Image

We’ve given NiGHTS a very important role. He starts all the races, and also finishes them too! He also resides over Time Trial, whenever you set a new lap record, you’ll have NiGHTS flying along with you celebrating!

I have to admit the main reason he’s in was after we saw your heartfelt pleas, especially those of DiGi and TRiPPY, we had to make sure NiGHTS was in and played an important role. After all, we really didn’t want them to burn all their collection now. So whilst he’s not playable, he very much made it in, and as a result of the huge amount of support for the character that you all showed.

Does this mean that NiGHTS may not be in future DLC? Well who can say. That’s a question I can’t answer right now – it all depends on how well the game does :lol:

Anyway – cats out of the bag, so I figured we best make it official!

Now, I can look forward to yet more ‘Don’t forget Flagman!’ posts I’m sure :D

---
S0L
---

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
S0L, thank you so much for all this! You have made this fanbase very happy!
To think that our voices were heard and something happened, well, you guys at Sumo are my single favourite developer right now! When this is all over and done with, we'd be honoured to challenge you to a race, NiGHTS DLC or not.

You guys are exactly what games studios should be like! (any jobs going?)

ArchangelUK

ArchangelUK

Big Brother is watching you.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
Get to the back of the queue Jof :P

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
You don't know how awesome my day is now because of this post. I was just uploading some Flagman-NiGHTS art too. XD

But this is really great. I don't know about everyone else, nor can I speak for them, but this feels like a personal win for me. This is the result of all our hard work paying off. In a small way, yes, but this proves that people(higher up on the food chain or no) do listen, you just have to speak up. :3 (my friend says, for us NiGHTS fans, we have to play Dreams Dreams just a little louder, lol)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
YAAAAAY! Hahaha! Someone finally addressed it officially! And a forum exclusive, no less? I'm beyond honored, S0L! Thank you!! ^___^

It seems i was right in speculating that the campaign caused the cameo. And thank you for doing so. I'm curious to know how on earth you managed to get NiGHTS in, even as a cameo, with the game so soon to release. But you did it for this community and i thank you.

S0L. I don't suppose you'd be open to questions at all would you? Probably not but i figured i should ask anyway.

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Hahah! Just wait till TSSZ calls our exclusive a TSSZ exclusive!

S0L

S0L

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

S0L. I don't suppose you'd be open to questions at all would you? Probably not but i figured i should ask anyway.

I'm happy to answer some - providing they are ones I can without landing us all in a world of trouble :P

---
S0L
---

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?

Hahah! Just wait till TSSZ calls our exclusive a TSSZ exclusive!

*Snort* I was JUST thinking about that... 'How many sites will yoink the pic and claim they got it first?'

Anyway, you guys at Sumo are indeed awesome. It means a lot to actually be heard, and responded to. The fact NiGHTS is there pretty much because you listened to us is flabbergasting. Thank you, from me, and all the rest of us.

*sits down*

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

I'm happy to answer some - providing they are ones I can without landing us all in a world of trouble :P

Sure, sure.

Well, just to clear up something there as someone on Twitter misunderstood your post. Was NiGHTS playable and then made a cameo because of my bet so i wouldn't burn my stuff? Because the way i know about it NiGHTS was not in at all prior to the campaign coming in to full swing. The reason NiGHTS is now in the game at all is because the campaign made it happen?

Am i understanding you correctly, yeh?

Aaaand i know you can't talk about DLC so i'll try to phrase a question that you might be able to answer. DLC seems to be happening, what with the Ryo forklift thing. If you were to make NiGHTS DLC would it be effected now that he's a flagman? Like, is the position of flagman jeapordising any chance of making him DLC? (like the character can't be in two places at once)

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
so, you're saying that NiGHTS isn't playable cuz you didn't wanted DiGi to burns his merchandise? DiGi, dude! you should be more careful with your bets next time! :P loljk

anyways, thank you so much S0L, you're the man

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
This is so great it can't even be put into words.... Thank you so much for listening to our pleas, SOL! :3 Can't wait to see NiGHTS gleefully starting every race, yay!

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
I don't even have time to read this just to tell you how friggin' crazy I feel at hearing the news that they talked about it! Thank you thank you thank you!

Edit: Read and saw picture. You're an inspiration to game designers everywhere for doing things so right. You listened to the fans more than most studios I know of in recent memory when given this kind of request. Keep up the good work, and know how truly indebted I am to your efforts.

And now, let me go get myself ready to make a remix out of one of your soundtrack's songs.

Sylvaria

Sylvaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Writing, singing, Roleplay! <3
XD And last night I had that funky dream about NiGHTS, too. It just seems to be one of those days!

Thank you so much, S0L, for the exclusive. -listens for answers now-

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Many, many, many thanks! And yeah we'll continue fighting for Flag Man. Who is this purple jester anyway? lol

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
S0L, did we put Outrun Flagman out on the streets? :P
Was there a flagperson before NiGHTS?

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Waking up is hard to do, but when I do, I miss the best news in the wordl! First pics of Bonanza Bros. and Jacky and Akira are all over the place, then we have the best developer of developers come answer our Qs hardcore? Ths is the best day of Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing! I thank you very much, Mr. Lycett. You have made a hardcore SEGA fan cry at this awesome news. Snivel.

Purge

Purge

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:My favorite series are Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jet Set Radio. I like to draw and play games in my free time.
Hold up.
So the reason that NiGHTS isn't playable is that you didn't want them to burn their stash?

No offense, but you guys should think over your bets a little more wisely next time.
It's nice to see NiGHTS in though!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Hold up.
So the reason that NiGHTS isn't playable is that you didn't want them to burn their stash?

No, that's not it at all :/

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling

*facedesk*

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Posted Image

IT'S A TRAP!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
The bet has produced laughter of another kind. Can not stop laughing right now but it's all good. Things worked out well in the end.

S0L

S0L

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Sure, sure.

Well, just to clear up something there as someone on Twitter misunderstood your post. Was NiGHTS playable and then made a cameo because of my bet so i wouldn't burn my stuff? Because the way i know about it NiGHTS was not in at all prior to the campaign coming in to full swing. The reason NiGHTS is now in the game at all is because the campaign made it happen?

Am i understanding you correctly, yeh?

Aaaand i know you can't talk about DLC so i'll try to phrase a question that you might be able to answer. DLC seems to be happening, what with the Ryo forklift thing. If you were to make NiGHTS DLC would it be effected now that he's a flagman? Like, is the position of flagman jeapordising any chance of making him DLC? (like the character can't be in two places at once)

On the first part - if NiGHTS had have been playable to start with - we certainly wouldn't have changed him to the flagman. I'd be sending you a can of petrol and some matches instead! But then I figure you had enough sources to know he wasn't in before you kicked your campaign into gear... :P

Given where we were in development, it would have been too late to add him as a playable character, so we had a sit down, figured out our best option on how to give him a bigger role than a simple trackside cameo, then did some code and art tests. Lucky for us we had the character from SST, so we had a head start.

We also didn't have a Flagman, so so it seemed a natural way to integrate him.

As I said in my first post, does this affect future DLC? Well, depends on how many copies get sold, and which characters SEGA then may request. Just because he's the flagman now doesn't mean he can't be made into a playable character. If anything we've got a head start since he's built, rigged and animated :P

But as I said before, it's something I can't answer right now. One as this is all purely unofficial conjecture, and second, it's a SEGA decision at the end of the day!

---
S0L
---

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Anyway, S0L I just wanted to say a personal thankyou for returning to give the community some peace of mind. When people online first seen the NiGHTS cameo from the video they got a little confused and some of the denser ones thought that SUMO was trolling us e___e;

I'm glad SUMO and SEGA done the right thing of actually giving a damn enough to A- add NiGHTS so late in development and B- come out from behind the curtain and address us personaly as fans of something we care greatly about. It can sometimes be hard trying to prove our legitamacy and keep our reputation for being truthful when neither DiGi or I are official. But the fact that you guys cared enough to do that for our little community is something you never see. This is the kind of thing that I've been trying to improve for years, fan/creator interaction. We might sometimes seem a bit mad and ranty but it's always for positive reasons :P We never mean anyone any harm, we just want to see NiGHTS get his little bits of glory he deserves for being such an original and loved character.

I'm pretty much too happy and blissed out to think of any questions right now. I'm just thankful that some people out there have hearts.
Thanks to everyone involved in this. You've made a lot of people happy.

NOW WE ASK FOR DLC! XD;

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Thanks for answering those questions, S0L. I hope that clears it up for those getting it twisted :P

I can't thank you enough for making this cameo and listening to our community. It really does feel good to know that there was enough support to warrent this at least. I'm still kinda surprised to see this being officially spoken about. It's been a long 6 months for me, personaly. To see peoples from SUMO/SEGA discuss NiGHTS out in the open is so ...weird! XD But happy-weird! lol

In regards to DLC, thanks for answering as best as you can.

For those of you who still want to ask for DLC ...i may kick off one last final wave of support emails sometime soon should you want to continue showing support for DLC NiGHTS. You read what S0L said, the fact that he's a flag-waver does not mean he couldn't be a playable via DLC.
And i'm all for running this campaign until it's either a definite yes or no to NiGHTS DLC.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Me too! It's not over until it's over lovelies!

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.
SoL. Thank you very much for given NiGHTS an important role. You may call NiGHTS a "he" regardless of the character genderless, I'm very glad that she (NiGHTS) made it in the game. I've appreciated of what you did. SUMO and SEGA done an excellent job. I'm proud of you.

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...
Thanks for clearing that up, S0L, it's great to know that the role of Flagman was tailor-made for NiGHTS, rather than just replacing someone else. It makes NiGHTS so much more uber special and awesome.

I can't thank you enough for what you have done for this community. I don't think I've ever known a single video game company/developer who has ever listened to a fanbase as much as Sumo Digital has. Once again, thank you so much for not forgetting NiGHTS!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
HAI U GAIZ:
http://kotaku.com/54.....l star-racing

We made it to the almighty Kotaku. Be proud.

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
we're sure to be an inspiration for fans all over the world aren't we? ;D

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS

HAI U GAIZ:
http://kotaku.com/54.....l star-racing

We made it to the almighty Kotaku. Be proud.

I was feeling all happy over here, reading that article and getting ready to boast about this to my FB friends, then I read the comments. Why do people have to be such sourpusses(note, this is an alternate to what I really yelled out, lol) in the face of such good news? "Figures they'd cheap out"? Hardly. Oh well. Gonna go freak out to friends now~ <3

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
If more fans of random stuff got together and tried to achieve things in some kind of logical order a lot would be achieved in the gaming industry i think. There again, it's not all about the fans, it takes developers and publishers to care about the people who buy their games and not make it feel like talking to a wall of people in suits.

I'm not suggesting that the people who make the games spend all day talking to fans instead of making the games, but sometimes just the little things are nice. Or the larger things as this case definately proved.

Kuedos SEGA & SUMO.

then I read the comments.

Reading the comments in general gaming news sites about fan stuff is never a great idea XD It's kinda like putting a video up on Youtube and expecting people to send you flowers *lol* Though it's always kinda funny to see how !RAGE! people can be. Best one i seen i cant quote for major profanity but it involved the MJ O2 concert when a fight broke out on a forum i was reading. Best insults ever sometimes i swear.

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...

we're sure to be an inspiration for fans all over the world aren't we? ;D

I am actually starting to believe we are the greatest fanbase that has ever existed XD

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Nah there's tons of great fanbases out there. The Shenmue lot can be pretty epic when they need to be (though they get a bit angry and i can understand why sometimes). The Sonic fanbase, despite having it's differences a lot can also pull together and achieve a lot too. Great bunch of people.
Transformers has a really nice fanbase too.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Thank you for answering our call and not forgetting NiGHTS. Despite the weirdness of him not being included to begin with, at least now we have something, you guys rock. Maybe for the next one he'll be standard again, eh? :P

Now everyone needs to buy the game and let Sega know we want him to be playable!

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Just good to get the recognition that we did change something, that effort is rewarded, and fan loyalty is not unjustly swept under the rug. For all the people who doubted NiGHTS wasn't in it, for all the people who said "oh, that might have had nothing to do with the fan requests", and for everyone who said that you all weren't trust-worthy/crazy for putting your NiGHTS stash on the line...this was exactly what needed to happen.

Hopefully people don't forget 6 months down the road, or if we ever need to do something like this again.

*waves a flag for DiGi, TRiPPY, Sumo Digital, and NiGHTS*

BTW that Bentley Jones song is beast.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
We got on Kotaku? Holy niiiiice! XD And that news post was quite favorable too!

If anything has been achieved from this at least the community was acknowledged for it's passion to support NiGHTS. If you did support the campaign then thank you for helping us get this far ...

....buuut we ain't over yet, lol XP

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Yeeeeaaaah! *victory pose*

CrashMan

CrashMan

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
very, very cool of the devs to

A) put him in

:P take the time to share this info with us

THANKS A LOT, SOL!!!

Mysticgamer

Mysticgamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
They made her a flag girl? I think Nights and Reala should have been commentators, I'd buy the game in that instance but instead I'll just rent it.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Horray! Thank you, S0L, for giving NiGHTS such a prominent role. It may not be playable, but it's more than I could have dreamed of this soon. (Pun not intended! :P)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users