Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fave Game(s) Of The Last Decade

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

HelenBaby

HelenBaby

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Interests:Video games, drawing, acting
My game of the decade *thinks it through hard*. I think I'd have to say Shenmue II! <3

Other notable mentions :

~ The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
~ Super Mario Galaxy
~ Animal Crossing : Wild World
~ GTA : Chinatown Wars
~ GTA San Andreus
~ We Love Katamari
~ Mario Kart (DS)
~ World of Warcraft
~ Final Fantasy : Dissidea

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
There are so many I love... for some reason I want to go with Skies of Arcadia for being the most fun RPG I played in the previous decade. It was just such a cool world! I hope a sequel gets made at some point.

Other great games would be:
Beyond Good & Evil - One of those rare games to have an attractive, non-white, non-sexualized female lead; kinda cool! (Plus it's tons of fun and has a great story.)
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - I haven't played the most recent two, but I think this was the best Castlevania since Symphony of the Night.
Dance Dance Revolution Ultramix 3 - I'm a DDR fanatic and IMO Ultramix 3 is the best home version out there.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem - the most effective Lovecraftian horror game ever. The insanity really works at breaking the fourth wall (eg getting a fake Blue Screen of Death or suddenly seeing the menu showing your save being deleted.)
Jet Set Radio Future - took everything that was ULTRA-COOL about Jet Set/Grind Radio and managed to make it even better.
Metal Slug 3 - The best game in the series (ok, I haven't played 2, 6, or 7... but it's so much crazy fun!)
Panzer Dragoon Orta - Not the best game in the PD series but I still loved this game and it's unique graphical styles.
Psychonauts - This game is nuts. BRILLIANT nuts.
Shadow of the Colossus - A wonderful experience; one of the few games that can be considered "art" that is also a mainstream hit.
Shenmue II - Do I even need to say why this is a great game? I just wish there was a way to get my toy collection from the first game onto the Xbox version.
We <3 Katamari - I love Japanese weirdness, okay?

Also, I'm a perpetually "late to the party" kind of gamer. I don't yet have an Xbox 360 or PS3; I'll still track down and play games from the 90s.

EDIT: I forgot Eternal Darkness!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
Wow, let me see...

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Easily my favorite N64 game. It was like Ocarina of Time, infused with extra character and sweetness.

Banjo-Tooie - A follow-up to one of the greatest games of all time that was even better than its predecessor. A brilliant play.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - An amazing game, despite constant dissing of its new style (which, hilariously, is now praised). It may have looked childish, but it was all Zelda at heart!

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - I still drag this baby out to play with my Chao. I just recently got all the emblems, and it was fairly worth it. Best 3-D Sonic game until Unleashed.

Kirby Air Ride - My friends and I played this the other day, and I didn't remember how amazingly fun, yet simple, this game is. Great game for Kirby fans and casual gamers alike.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - Epic. Just...epic. I waited, what, three years for this game? It was worth it.

BioShock - This game's amazing story and art direction had me from hello. I can't wait for the sequel, which comes out on Feb. 9th.

Sonic Unleashed (X-Box 360) - Yeah, yeah, sue me. The daytime stages gave me a taste of speed I'd never had before. I fell in love with this game, and I can even tolerate Chip. It's beautiful, too.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - It's Melee, minus the Mewtwo, but with twice the Toon Link, Sonic, and King DeDeDe!

Super Mario Galaxy - This game had a beautiful world, beautiful music, a story that made me cry (no lie), beautiful characters, beautiful mustache, and LUIGI! SWEET LUIGI! -glomps Nintendo-

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Above all else would have to be...

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Really, really miss Roy (one of the best fighters imo), but in return got an incredible Adventure Mode and the chance to build our own stages. Fear the mighty death trap that is Spikes R Us! XD

Sorry, but my other main faves are from the 90's. :) Imma retro gamah.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Sorry, but my other main faves are from the 90's. :lol: Imma retro gamah.

D: Did you forget Klonoa 2? For shame, Smashy. :P

My favs, not all in order:
NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams. I know, it wasn't polished at all, but y'know what? I still absolutely love this game, and more than any other Wii game I've ever had.
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil. Many reviewers say it's one of the most underrated games ever, and I have to agree. It's really fun to play, and the environments are AMAZING: they're enormous and sometimes interactive (I was surprised when, in Joilant Park, that circus thing balancing on the ball actually reacted to me throwing an enemy at it.).
Klonoa (Wii)
The Shadow of the Colossus
Pokemon Sapphire. Cause it was my first game.
Pokemon Colosseum. The most unique pokemon game I've seen.
Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
Mega Man Battle Network 4. Yes, I actually enjoy these games a lot.
Sonic Adventure 2

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

D: Did you forget Klonoa 2? For shame, Smashy. :P

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil. Many reviewers say it's one of the most underrated games ever, and I have to agree. It's really fun to play, and the environments are AMAZING: they're enormous and sometimes interactive (I was surprised when, in Joilant Park, that circus thing balancing on the ball actually reacted to me throwing an enemy at it.).

*facepalmtree* Didn't look at the disc. But yeah, K2 was awesome, especially if you went deeper than just graphics. I mean....DUDE! The last boss...love what the being represents. Love the all-around representation of everything.

Stepping Wind!

Also agree with...

Klonoa (Wii ver.) - Huepow! ... that is all.

The Shadow of the Colossus - Dude...so much to explore. I swear it's just awesome to ride around and discover what the next area will look like. And the last boss? Annoying as all heck (kept falling off/being blasted) but a heck of a lot of joy in that final stab. Yay-oh right... anyone ever play and take a look at the Wanderer's face about maybe...oh 10+ Colossi in?
Frickin'...I don't think the lands are evil. Anything can be forbidden if it's resented enough. ...Again with the interpretation in-game... I love it! :lol:

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle - Something went wrong after playing for over 200 hours... The timing of Rouge's scream in the first cutscene is off. Yes, I noticed that. Also noticed that it won't go away on a new data file or disc.... Huh. Anyways, the Chaos are cute and have eaten up much time when playing. I think gamers spend more time taking care of them than saving the world. Heh.

I like retro but dabble in modern. (Post stopped to defend against an obvious "OBJECTION" reference.)

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
People have mentioned most of my favourites already, and I'm to lazy to look up more. So, here are some weird ones.

Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. I love the levels, the characters, the gameplay, the story, and the visuals. The shard hunting was fun, and the payoff was probably the best video game boss I've ever fought.

The Haunted Mansion: It's not the ride, and it's not the movie. It's a whole new story with amazing visuals and suitably bizarre puzzles.

I'm sure there's more to come as I remember them!

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
I wanna add Kirby 64, too.

02 is amazing. Tragic, yet...I don't even know. A being that feels no positive emotions, only sadness, anger, hate, and fear. And why does he want to turn Dream Land into a Dark Matter wasteland? Because he wants everyone else to feel the same pain he does. This game was great, otherwise, except the lack of power diversity, and some of them were just flat useless. Oh well.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I wanna add Kirby 64, too.

02 is amazing. Tragic, yet...I don't even know. A being that feels no positive emotions, only sadness, anger, hate, and fear. And why does he want to turn Dream Land into a Dark Matter wasteland? Because he wants everyone else to feel the same pain he does. This game was great, otherwise, except the lack of power diversity, and some of them were just flat useless. Oh well.

I thought that there we a lot of powers. Mixing was always fun. :P

O2 was just amazing. He was the last thing I expected; it was a really scary turn for such an otherwise upbeat game. The last few levels of Ripple Star were really creepy; it was all abandoned. There was no sun, no animals, nothing. Going from star to star was a neat element.

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Batman Arkham Asylum
Beyond Good & Evil
Ico
Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil
Sonic Rush
No More Heroes

Theres more but I cant think of them off the top of my head.

daru

daru

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:playing with my band called the sonics <br />i am trying to get my art back on track <br />and i am into video games
since i have not played JoD i would have to say
the dot hack games
gunstar heroes for gba
sonic heroes
shadow of the colossus
shadow the hedgehog
sonic 06
sonic unleashed
sonic and the black Knight
sonic adventure 2
metroid prime
metroid prime 2 echoes
Halo 1,2,3
ff 7 crisis core
gran turismo 3
kingdom hearts 1, 2, chain of memories
sonic riders 1 and 2
new version of a ps1 game called Parappa The Rapper
and the list goes on

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
It's sad that this decade had to end, since there were so many fun games in it! But my absolute favorites are:

TLoZ Majora's Mask: Oh god, I don't even know where to start! Never before had a game pulled me so deep into its world, every character lived its own life, there were so many mysteries about the land of Termina, and the whole game was packed with suspense. Sometimes I still wake up in the middle of the night, just to check if the moon is still on its right place. xD

Pokemon Crystal/Gold/Silver: Being a fan of the series (even the Anime, shame on me xD), I was totally thrilled to learn that there would be more pokemon and new lands to explore! G/S/C is probably the best part of the franchise, with the most awesome new pokemon, real time flow(change from day to night, and the different days of the week), a lot of side events, TWO regions to explore(I wish they would do that again... It's fun seeing what your character from the last game changed^^) and a micro computer! Damn the PokeGear was great, phoning trainers for a rematch, listening to the radio. I'm thrilled to see it again in the remakes. :blink:

Banjo-Tooie: Although I liked the worlds of Banjo-Kazooie a bit more, Tooie put up the gameplay by a notch. Being able to split Banjo and Kazooie gave you a whole lot of new possibilities, and the game was again filled with hilarious characters and some witty humor.

Star Fox Adventures: While drastically different from the rest of the series, it definately wasn't a bad thing. It was an adventure game to rival the Zelda franchise, with loads of interesting(and totally amazing looking, especially for a gamecube game) places to visit, a spicy - just right difficulty( it wasn't too easy or too hard, although it naturally had it moments as well.). If Rare was still with Nintendo a sequel would be a total must-have!

Super Mario Sunshine: Oh god am I the only one who thinks that this was one of the best Mario games? The whole tropical vacation theme was something I really appreciated. I mean there's not many platforming games where you can explore a burning village of tree people, or a haunted island resort, and even an amusement park! A lot of people complained there wasn't much diversity in the scenery but looking at it, I can't agree at all. Just because it's all on the same island, it not monotone at all in my oppinion! Still there's something I HAVE to complain about: the levels without that water pump thingy, were.too.frickin.hard!!!XD I'll never get all the shine sprites T__T

TLoZ Wind Waker: Gosh, this game was an up and down for me. Like really, at first I was totally in love with this game, then I despised it(Only because the Zoras were missing... I will never understand why Nintendo had to do THAT to them, if you played through the game you will know what I mean. ) But looking at it now, it definately is one of the best Zelda games todate, I think i even like it a bit more than OoT (but not more than MM xD). The cute and timeless graphics, the story, the setting and the characters, everything worked perfectly for me. A few more sidequests would have been great(especially since some islands didnt have much use), but I'm not going to be nitpicky on that.^^

Animal Crossing - Population Growing: Awwww I'm practically in love with this game... It's so full with nostalgia. None of the newer games in the franchise come even close to what this game is! The animals have a lot to talk to you about, there's so many events, it fills you with joy to see how your town changes over time.(Yeah going through every season and time of day is actually an interesting part of the game). Plus this game is so gimmicky, you can have your own tropical island(only if you have a GBA though, which is kinda sad D:), during the summer and winter months, animals will sometimes spend their holidays in your town in a tent or an igloo, there are many Nintendo references, and you can even play some of the old NES games in it! I would sacrifice everything I have for an english release of the E-Plus version of this game, which had even more funny animals, more insects and fish to catch, an island for each of your player characters, new events, new dialogues, new minigames, shopping until midnight(seeing Tom Nook in his pyjamas is awesome and cute!XD) and last but not least town decorations, like clocks, lanterns and so forth. Lucky japanese people!^^ Too bad we probably won't every again get an Animal Crossing like that...*looks at Let's Go To the City with big disgust*

Pokemon Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire: These games are kinda on-tie with the second generation for me. While they lacked the cool day and night feature, they had some other interesting things, like contests, secret bases(man, I'm so obsessed with these! too bad they ruined them in D/P/Pl>.<) and some more diversity. I loved how every town was recognizable and had its own unique traits. Also, another tropical holiday paradise(somewhat...), yay! x3

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Surprise, yet another game cube game!xD Playing this with a friend is a blast, and wow, this game had some of the most beautiful graphics seen on the GC. While not as packed with story as regular FF games, it still has its own fitting history, and not having shoved tons of story down your throat, has some good sides as well, since you can put in more details with your imagination. :3 A bit like with NiD.

Soul Calibur 3: A perfect Beat-em-up game in my oppinion. Great visuals(not to mention all the hawt guys, rawr x3), fun gameplay, and that Chronicles of the Sword, or whatever it's called, campaign was something fresh and neat to see in the franchise. Too bad they didn't do something similiar for SC4... Oh and of course character costumization was really cool, especially since there was so much stuff to buy and unlock for it.

Super Mario Galaxy: Another great Mario game. This one was also really different from the rest, with its wacky physics and the emotional story. I guess most people would laugh it me, if I told them that a Mario game almost brought me to tears. D: But really, anyone who has a Wii, and doesn't own this game yet, buy it. It's definately the best Wii game yet.

Eternal Sonata: Why do some of my favorite games get mowed down by critics? In Eternal Sonata's case it's really something I can't understand. This piece of art has the single most amazing video game score I've ever heard. Another strong point is the story, which is well, at first a little cliché but it gets a whole lot better later on. And again there's things for your interpretation, especially concerning the ending. Also there's some great philosophy going on over the course of the game. But before I forget, I also have too mention how likeable the characters are, and it doesn't help that the whole game is in wonderful anime-esque art style, you just can't despise them. I got especially attached to Polka-chan, poor girl...

Katamari-Franchise: I just couldn't pick a game out of it, because they're all awesome(although Beautiful Katamari is probably the worst out of them), funny and cute characters, over the top music and animation, and great gameplay, even though the concept is as simple as just rolling around a ball to make it larger. You have to play it, to believe how great it is!

Folklore: You could call this a drastically different take on Pokemon. But it's way more. You're exploring the village Doolin/Lemrick and various different underworlds with two characters(a young woman named Ellen, who's looking for the truth about her dead mother and visits the village of Doolin or Lemrick in the japanese original, after she receives a letter from her, and a occult magazine reporter named Keats, who goes to Doolin/Lemrick, after a mysterious phone call), the stories intervine at some points, and let me tell you, the surreal but beautiful landscapes combined with the intriguing story, the believable characters, and not so believable underworld characters(which look like they could be straight out of a Tim Burton Movie xD), it's definately an experience you don't want to miss.

And last but not least, Flower: The freedom of flight from a whole new perspective. This game is even similiar to NiD, not only that you fly through beautiful landscapes, but it also tells its story without any dialogue. Well okay, flowers don't usually talk, but that's not the point! The PS3 Six-Axis Controls probably contribute to the over all experience as well, but not as much as the realistic grass fields, the sound of the wind, and the music that slightly changes, the farther you progress in each chapter.

Another honorable mention is NiGHTS JoD, but since almost everyone here probably knows it, I'm not gonna write about it. That or I'm just getting a tad bit lazy now xD

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
You'd think that the ZORAS would be the most likely to survive a FLOOD.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

You'd think that the ZORAS would be the most likely to survive a FLOOD.

Yeah, I know. I can't understand how it would not be evolutionarily advantageous to be aquatic in a world of nearly no land. Why they took to the air is anyone's guess. Maybe an increase in aquatic predators.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
The seas were supposedly devoid of life for awhile after they flooded, which makes sense. The dead bodies of the people who didn't escape it would be countless, and would contaminate the water beyond livability. The Zoras thus, either A.) Died out, B.) Evolved into the Rito. There's several instances where B is hinted at, but in Phantom Hourglass, the Zora scale's description speaks as though the Zoras are still around.

I love the Zoras. They're my favorite race, by far, and they were quite beautiful in Twilight Princess.

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

The seas were supposedly devoid of life for awhile after they flooded, which makes sense. The dead bodies of the people who didn't escape it would be countless, and would contaminate the water beyond livability. The Zoras thus, either A.) Died out, B.) Evolved into the Rito. There's several instances where B is hinted at, but in Phantom Hourglass, the Zora scale's description speaks as though the Zoras are still around.

I love the Zoras. They're my favorite race, by far, and they were quite beautiful in Twilight Princess.

Well you have quite a good point there EZEKiAL, but I doubt that Nintendo would think thaaaat far. The Evolution probably just took place to reflect the changes of the world overall, still I don't get why Gorons stayed the same then. They would be like the first ones to die in a flood! But then again, since TP they seemingly can breath underwater for whatever mystical, unknown reason, so meh. xD

Purge

Purge

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:My favorite series are Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jet Set Radio. I like to draw and play games in my free time.
Space Channel 5 Part 2.

Posted Image

*sniffle* Love ya Purge!

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
Unfortunately I haven't yet played NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams yet, but here are some games that I can't seem to force myself to get sick of.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife and Under the Knife 2
Shin Megami Tensai (did I spell it right?): Persona 3: Fes and 4
Kingdom Hearts 1,2, and 358 Days/2
.hack games
Tekken 4
Tekken 5
Sonic Mega Collection
Sonic Riders
Pokemon Red Rescue Team
Pokemon Emerald
Star Fox Assault

0 user(s) are reading this topic