Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What Dreams May Come

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

blackrabite

blackrabite

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Score-attacking, SEGA and video games in general, and learning goddamn Japanese.
I guess it finally happened. After taking a break from NiGHTS for a while, I returned to my Saturn to find almost all of my data cleared from my Saturn's internal memory. It was almost endearing that only NiGHTS data (amongst Panzer Dragoon, Castlevania, and other treasured games) remained visible in the Memory Manager. Even so, loading up the game proved saddening at best as I found all of my scores to be bogus and lost in the ocean of 1's and 0's within the RAM. It's awfully depressing and I feel bad that I didn't take better care to have purchased a Back-up Cart earlier, but here I am.

I guess several of you are aware of the NiGHTS score-attacking resource which is ScoreAttack.net. It was an invaluable resource for those of us that found a thrill in taking the game's scoring system as far as we could, and it only served to attach me to the game that much more, you know? I guess that's why it hurts so much to lose it all, with only a couple old photographs to stand watch over days and nights of effort. Nothing ever lasts forever, I guess.

That doesn't mean I can't continue on in loving memory, though. Anybody else up for Shooting for the Stars in Twin Seeds with me? It took no less than a community before to encourage our designs, and I suspect it won't take any less if I'm to ever seriously score-attack the game again. Even if nobody wants to join me, can anybody offer any encouragement? I wish I could find a way to record my runs so that I could share them with others as some other members of ScoreAttack.net did... what would the best way to do this from real console hardware be? That alone would be enough fuel for me to at least make a scoring tribute for the game.

I recognize that a lot of people don't really admire the game for its scoring as much as they do the other thematics it presents, or the synergy between its music and world design, or the freedom it offers coupled with the flawless control in its flight. I found that all in NiGHTS as well, but in the same way some draw fan art or others write fiction in appreciation of NiGHTS, I put blood, sweat and tears into trying to master the purple jester's obstacle courses. It's a game I'll always treasure, and I hope it may live on in the hearts of those who know it forevermore.

Care to share any words / encouragement / stories / thoughts? Put it in here. I'd also like to take this time to thank Peter, Kraken, gsk, charlie, and Lance Way as being inspiration to experience the game and explore all of its nuances in an effort to put together some of the most amazing NiGHTS scores on the net.

Sincerely,
Ben

P.S.: Even as NiGHTS faded from my Saturn's memory, it did so in good humor; Scores of 4213770 in Spring Valley and 7899274 in Soft Museum didn't fail to bring a smile to my face, even in spite of the morbidity of the whole affair. I guess NiGHTS is giving me something to shoot for in the countless hours yet to come.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Great post! I love going for high scores although I'm not nearly as good as the folks at Score Attack. I worry about topping my own high scores rather than trying to be the BEST out there.
And I remember the days before I had a back-up cart. It's always sad to lose saves.

You're looking for a way to record your runs? This thread might help.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Ben!! Good to hear from you! :(

Yes, it's definitely saddening when you lose all of your high scores. The same happened to me not that long ago. Perhaps I have a few of them saved on my backup carts, but I know I lost a few. I do have most of my runs on YouTube so I guess I haven't really lost them like you might of.

As a fellow addict of ScoreAttack I have to thank you and the others as well for pushing me on. When I first got the game and joined the site I never thought I'd reach the level that you guys were at, but I was determined to get at least one record. Then over time I got absolutely hooked to the game and was determined to break more records.

It still amazes me some of the scores we all have achieved. To be honest it frightens me to even try some anymore!

I will always cherish NiGHTS for it's amazing scoring mechanics, and if you ever want to get back into it I would definitely be there so we could push each other and achieve new heights. I know there is still room for improvement in all of our scores.

If you need a hand with recording I can help with that too, as you know I recorded my own videos. It really does help when you are able to share it with the world and other people can watch your gameplay.

Also, I still check out scoreattack.net if you ever decide to post on there. Since that site is kind of dead I wonder if TRiPPY would ever want to dedicate any space on this site for scores. It would be a shame if that site went down and we lost all of the advice we posted. I've considered creating a new website just to keep it saved.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Can i ask what's up with Scoreattack? Is it admin related troubles or what? See, my original intention was to host a score section here, but when scoreattack arrived i was really hyped to see a site dedicated purely to scoring (since it's not something i'm great at keeping up to date with in terms of site updates).

If you're telling me that scoreattack is going to be deleted or something (i hope not!) then those of you motivated enough can run a section on this site with update powers to keep the spirit alive? I know i'd be terrible at maintaining it (im bad with numbers lol), but i'm guessing there's a couple of you who would.

Personaly I'd rather see Scoreattack alive than hosting something here, but that's your call.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Firstly, can i just say i always really appreciated ScoreAttack.net for the work they did. It wasn't just the highscores but the crazy stuff they found when trying to achieve those scores, like certain glitches occuring and what not. Only they could have been found by those who played NiD to those lengths.

Furthermore, i appreciate ScoreAttack and those trying to achieve those highscores because it's very inspiring to others. I personaly wanted to try and get myself on those leaderboards too, the only reason being that i become very busy at times and can not dedicate as much time as i would like to to mastering the game. But the site and it's people did inspire others to try and get the most from this game so i have always respected the site for doing so much.

I thought with JoD coming out it could have rekindled the spark to once again try and achieve those highscores on a new game but JoD is made from different stuff. It plays differently from NiD and i can understand why people didn't take to it like they did with NiD.

In terms of starting up a score section on this site. As TRiPPY said, the reasons we didn't do it ourselves is because ScoreAttack.net turned up and we figured it would be best to let them keep track of the rankings. That and the fact that me and TRiP would not be able to maintain a constant update on the scores.
Though i agree with TRiPPY, should you guys want to perhaps we could arrange for a section to be opened on this site where one of you guys can do the updating.

What is the status of ScoreAttack.net? Who actually owns the site? Perhaps one of you could run it yourselves should the current owner allow you to do so? Just a thought.

Either way, even though i don't partake in the challenges as much as some of you here i certainly respect the time and effort that goes in to it :P

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Thanks TRiPPY and DiGi for your support! :)

I will see if I can get in contact with Tabitha or GSK with regards to ScoreAttack.net and if they would be willing to let me maintain it or even buy the domain and hosting. I enjoy web design and it's something I can see myself doing.

I believe Tabitha is the owner of the site and about 3 years ago GSK took on the task of being the admin. The updates were great for a long time, but eventually they became less frequent and now they aren't happening at all. I think some personal things must have come up to prevent them from working on the site or maybe they just lost interest. I'm not really sure.

Without updates there's really no one posting their scores anymore and it concerns me that the site could die at some point. Hopefully I can get in there and liven things up a bit!

I'll let you know what I can find out.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Ok, Charlie. Let us know what becomes of it all. If you can get in touch with Tabi then that would be awesome. I'm wondering how he's been anyways, i've not spoken to him in ages. If you do get in contact ask him to pop through here and say hi, perhaps we could all discuss this matter together here in this topic.

Anyways, yes. Keep us updated on it all :)

blackrabite

blackrabite

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Score-attacking, SEGA and video games in general, and learning goddamn Japanese.
Hey, everyone! Thanks for all of the posts so far; I definitely appreciate the encouragement! Anyway, I'd definitely appreciate if you'd all stay in touch through this thread so that we may either renovate our old home for scoring or perhaps find a new one here. Let me know if there's anything I can do to facilitate the process!

I'll be able to look into this more when I return from my awesome trip to California. Talk to you all soon!!

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Haven't heard anything from Tabitha or GSK yet. I tried sending them another email tonight as well as a few PM's and posts on scoreattack.net and here. I'll wait another week and see if I hear anything.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I hope they're both doing ok. I tend to have massive respect for people who start websites and don't give up on them after 2 weeks.

Kinda makes me wonder where they are in terms of world rankings on JoD

Hypertreb

Hypertreb

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I didn't know the eternal memory can just go away like that. That kind of scares me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users