Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mystery Science Journey into Dreams

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Noctourne and myself have arrived at the wonderful idea of riffing on the NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams cutscenes like Mystery Science Theater 3000 used to. We would like a third person to join us for the riffing. I'm sure it'll all come together as we talk and prepare to record our individual lines, but the general jist of things is that we'll make fun of the cutscenes. And it'll be funny.

If you've never watched MST3k before, I highly recommend checking it out. Here's one of the available episodes on hulu: http://www.hulu.com/...ters#s-p1-so-i0

So, again, we'd like a third person to join in riffing with us. I have no idea about a timeline but this shouldn't take THAT long to get out, though with everything else going on it may be slower than I expect. If you're interested in being the third person, leave a message here or send me a PM. We'll be using Skype and Audacity to get this stuff done, so everyone will at least need a good internet connection and a microphone/headphones.

(hum to MST3k theme song) In the not to distant future, somewhere in the dream world...there were three crazy NiGHTS-fans too crazy for their own good...

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I fully endorse this.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

(hum to MST3k theme song) In the not to distant future, somewhere in the dream world...there were three crazy NiGHTS-fans too crazy for their own good...

My animation skills are limited to what I can whip up in Photoshop, but we have to make that intro. :)

I've downloaded skype, so we can make a date to start soon. :)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I have Flash (not experienced with it), if need be I'll try my best..

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
NiGHTS-y Dreams Theater 3000, brought to you by NiDcom. "Yeah. We went there. D:"

Aaaannd my headphones are busted. T_T Got to hear the intro just fine though. I see why the channel was always turned when I was younger. :rolleyes: Corny intro, but humorous. I'm waiting for the rest to buffer on hulu. I want to see at least an episode before randomly deciding anything. >>

*watches until hulu commercial* XD I see why you chose this episode Stevo. Too bad I can't animate anything. I'd love to help out.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Oh, we need no animation, really. The animation they're talking about is probably just either the intro or etchings on top of the video itself. I think that's just icing on the cake.

What would be awesome is a third person riffing! But, I guess myself and Noctourne can get started in the meantime. Also, if you've never heard of it, there's a pair of people from loadingreadyrun.com that do something called Unskippable on The Escapist. Basically MST3k to cutscenes, I don't believe they've done JoD though. This is OUR territory, lol! I highly recommend Unskippable, it's great.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Oh, we need no animation, really. The animation they're talking about is probably just either the intro or etchings on top of the video itself. I think that's just icing on the cake.

What would be awesome is a third person riffing! But, I guess myself and Noctourne can get started in the meantime. Also, if you've never heard of it, there's a pair of people from loadingreadyrun.com that do something called Unskippable on The Escapist. Basically MST3k to cutscenes, I don't believe they've done JoD though. This is OUR territory, lol! I highly recommend Unskippable, it's great.

Ah. Alright.

Oh! I know them. I visit the Escapist website a few times a month. However, I've only seen a couple scenes from Unskippable. I'll have to look up more. I'd volunteer to help riff, but I suck at comedy.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I'll do the shadowrama to give that MST3K feel, but it might be fun to NiGHTSify the intro if someone is interested. It's not needed, but it would nice if we have the time and the motivation.

I'd volunteer to help riff, but I suck at comedy.

You don't need to do anything- just make fun of the stupidity. If you have an idea, maybe Level 99 or I could try to make it funnier?

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

You don't need to do anything- just make fun of the stupidity. If you have an idea, maybe Level 99 or I could try to make it funnier?

Ideas? ... Well I was looking at Helen's intro a while ago. She doesn't move her lips when saying "Bye mom." Then there's the dualize thing, Reala's nailpolish, constant mockery of Will's father, those EYES Helen's mom has at the end, Helen's horrible fake scream when she gets sucked out of her Nightopia by Reala, Octopaw-esome (or "possum"), and a quick thought of the old saying "Don't cast stones if you live in a house of glass" ...or something to that effect. Really, would the Crystal Castle just shatter if you threw some stones at it? It's that simple to take over that Nightopia: Just throw stones or boulders for a while.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
smashy, add me on skype. level_99 . we'll count you as third, and if you can't think of anything funny, we'll think for you :rolleyes: I have a feeling we'll be poking less fun at the inconsistencies and more-so at the utter absurdity of it all. Some NiGHTS in-jokes are cool, but let's try and keep this as accessible to everyone as possible. We should talk some tonight about it if y'all are able, I'm just working on my musical grind right now.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
All right. ^^ ... There.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
One important thing about riffing is that it needs to be fairly fast paced too keep up with the action onscreen, so it helps to write ideas down ahead of time. :rolleyes:

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
GEEZ THIS SOUNDS LIKE FUN

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
And just like that, we're already pretty close to having our riff-script ready for episode 1. Recording to come over the next few weeks, hopefully. The toughest part is going to be actually saying these lines without falling into a laughing fit ourselves. :P

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

The toughest part is going to be actually saying these lines without falling into a laughing fit ourselves. :P

Hit the nail on the head there. ^^; ...I'm just reminded of how many projects I'm working on. ._. Cripes... Guess Dreamers FM can hold off a bit longer, although the propaganda joke would be useless later. Ah well.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

And just like that, we're already pretty close to having our riff-script ready for episode 1. Recording to come over the next few weeks, hopefully. The toughest part is going to be actually saying these lines without falling into a laughing fit ourselves. :P

Too true. I don't want to give anything away, but Will's family is way too dysfunctional. ;)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Almost done editing episode 1's script, then we need to find time to record, then editing, so....I dunno, we'll get this out when we can!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Just tossing it up there, but I'm up for riffing any future installments. Just wondering though, why aren't you guys just going to make up stuff on the spot. That always seemed to be the way MST3K worked but I could be wrong

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
The very early episodes were made-up on the spot and the results were... not the highlight of the series.
Normally the episodes were very scripted. (Mike Nelson was actually the head writer before joining the cast.)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Shows how much I know. Then again I haven't seen it MST3K in years. Rifftrax are great though

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Just tossing it up there, but I'm up for riffing any future installments. Just wondering though, why aren't you guys just going to make up stuff on the spot. That always seemed to be the way MST3K worked but I could be wrong

When we were doing the first round of scripting, everything I came up with was a rephrasing of what Smashy and Levs had done, so it would be weird having everyone saying something different at once. Plus, we can have weird synchonized moments. :(

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Got that right Noctourne. ^^; Although I'm not sure how much was different since I haven't seen the script since we all talked on Skype. Which reminds me, I need to get back on Skype and talk with you guys on the script. Spent too much time with "Up, down, left, right, chu, chu, chu" on the brain.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Got that right Noctourne. ^^; Although I'm not sure how much was different since I haven't seen the script since we all talked on Skype. Which reminds me, I need to get back on Skype and talk with you guys on the script. Spent too much time with "Up, down, left, right, chu, chu, chu" on the brain.

With Stevo at MAGfest, you with SC5, and me with Master Quest, we've all had some crazy thing going on. I think things should be back to normal soon, and we can record. :P

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Yayz! :P That's going to be more fun than kicking butt as Falco Lombardi when my cousins come over to visit. Except with more riffs, less violence, and a whole lotta more laughs. I'm so curious as to know what the finalized script will be. This is going to rock! ^^

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
I'll have the final script SOMETIME today. I have smashy's email, Noctourne, please PM me yours. I'll share the google doc with y'all :-)

It's mostly an editing and compilation of all the stuff we had, with name assignments for each line as befitting our character.

Also, Zero, just an FYI about MST3k: There are 10 seasons of around 10-20 bad movies each. Mike has said they usually watch the movies a few times (count that as at least five) each in order to get the right riffs and timing. That's not only a lot of writing, but a lot of watching REALLY BAD MOVIES O_O

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Also, Zero, just an FYI about MST3k: There are 10 seasons of around 10-20 bad movies each. Mike has said they usually watch the movies a few times (count that as at least five) each in order to get the right riffs and timing. That's not only a lot of writing, but a lot of watching REALLY BAD MOVIES O_O

For the next one, we should do a "Rocky Horror" type thing with ad-libbed callbacks, then compare it to our final script just to see the difference. It might be fun.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
NiGHTS HAS NO NECK!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

NiGHTS HAS NO NECK!

Bravo!

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Please do mention how Reala sounds kinda like a woman the first time he shows up in Helen's dream? XD (or am I the only one who thinks that? o.o )

EDIT: And that's what I get for not reading the thing all the way through before posting. XDDDD *facepalm*

ANOTHER EDIT: And after watching that again, I wonder why I ever thought that, too. ^^;;;

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Hey MSTJODers!

Smashy, Noctourne...wanna record sometime this weekend?

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Like I've said before, my schedule is erratic. I can get 5 minutes of silence or I can get several hours. ... Which reminds me, I need to get the script ready in notepad. The version that was sent via PM, was that the final one?

If things manage to settle down, then I'd love to. Bit of a warning though, it's been all sorts of crazy with the weather around here and the power keeps going out at least once a day. :/ Frick...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I'm probably available. I sent you all a PM with my thoughts on the final script. What do you think?

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Stevo, Noctourne, you're better off getting someone else to record the thing with. Aside from the unsureness of when we could all get together for this, current events have made it so that anything outside of job searching is trivial. Even personal projects have to be put on hold. ><

Sorry to say, but I have to leave the project. :D I'm really sorry...

Edit: I can still try to hang around NiDcom sometimes though.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
It's alright, Smashy. Life is important; i hope you can find a good job quickly. :D

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
Ditto... But seeing as how I've checked everything I can today and the buses have stopped running, I can visit the forums. Plus there's not much at I do until tomorrow...

Now, I wonder if Will's dad would make a good silhouette...?

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Sorry y'all. Work cropped up again, and I lost focus. I'm le sorry...

Sorry to hear that you'll have to drop this as well, Smashy. Good luck in your job search and I hope everything goes great! Will definitely see you around.

Noctourne, we'll regroup and talk this week. (yes, I got your PM, I'm just going through all my messages and whatnot :D )

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Sorry y'all. Work cropped up again, and I lost focus. I'm le sorry...

Sorry to hear that you'll have to drop this as well, Smashy. Good luck in your job search and I hope everything goes great! Will definitely see you around.

Noctourne, we'll regroup and talk this week. (yes, I got your PM, I'm just going through all my messages and whatnot :) )

Work is important. :)

I'm glad you got the PM, don't worry about not replying within seconds. I just wanted to make sure that I actually *did* send it. :D

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Alright, enough of life getting in the way. Noctourne: I found someone, a friend of mine, who'd probably be willing to do the lines. Not a big NiGHTS fan, but a huge MST3k fan, and my cohost. He's got a great voice and I skype with him regularly. We could very easily get this down sometime in the next two weeks. What do you say? And we'd probably nix the shadow animation of silhouettes in the interest of time.

Again, I ask: WHAT SAY YOU?

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Alright, enough of life getting in the way. Noctourne: I found someone, a friend of mine, who'd probably be willing to do the lines. Not a big NiGHTS fan, but a huge MST3k fan, and my cohost. He's got a great voice and I skype with him regularly. We could very easily get this down sometime in the next two weeks. What do you say? And we'd probably nix the shadow animation of silhouettes in the interest of time.

Again, I ask: WHAT SAY YOU?

Sounds fine. I can't do it tomorrow, but I'll let you know when I'm available.

Horray for being productive! ;)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
WOOO! HOPEFULLY RECORDING THIS WEEKEND! AFTER ALL THESE....MONTHS! Yes, I know, it's been too long, folks. But you'll be laughing your asses off once you hear some of the lines we have planned.

Teaser line:

2:23 – Brushy: Look, I don't care who you are, back off or I'll kick you in the bird-seeds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users