Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zero's Bizarre Manga Giveaway Contest!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I have my concept solidified but I have yet to draw it. I'll get on that tomorrow?
(Hopefully the coolness of the idea will make the bad art tolerable.)

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I have an idea, but it needs to be ironed out a bit. Do stands have to look like the person or even be entirely humanoid? I'm thinking of doing a anthropomorphized animal.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
From what I've seen Stands can pretty much look like anything, though generally humanoid. (Zero mentions this in the OP) Whatever it looks like, just be sure to name it after a music reference.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
I'll pull up MSPaint tonight and send you some stick figures. Just because I can, Zero-Shift. My apologies if it ends up being blank, a single line, or just test. Also, if it melts your brain out of sheer retardedness, I am sorry.

Hmm...Maybe it is time to revive any ancient skills I have left with ASCII art?

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.

Hmm...Maybe it is time to revive any ancient skills I have left with ASCII art?

Epic. XD

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Okay guys, it's crunch time. The contest ends one week from today, January 11, at midnight US Central time. I'll take late submissions but be aware it's at your own risk. I was going to announce the winner sometime on Wednesday that week at an undecided time. If you can't get something in before then, I'm sorry but you're too late.

If you were still on the fence I can't say enough to encourage you to enter. Runner-up still get prizes and there is my little twist to consider. Just enter something. You have a better shot of winning than you think. Photograph your picture if you don't have a scanner for all I care. You don't need to go all out and be super artsy. The important thing is to let your imagination go wild and create something cool.

You can do it everyone!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
Even though I said repeatedly that I would enter I have to be a TOTAL LAME-O and back out. My inability to draw was offensive even to me and the more I thought about the idea the less it seemed to fit with the proper concept of a Stand. SORRY!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Dude, the concept of a Stand is as open as you like. Sure, they're usually humanoid but I've sen Stands like look like things such as a toy airplane, fishing rod, electric outlet, book and even more. I can't convince you to do something you don't want to do, but there is no way your art can be offensive to me. Besides, as I've said time and time again, this isn't about artistic skill, it's about originality.

I'm sure if you did enter something it would be perfectly fine at worst and maybe even a winner at best.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
so the deadline's now the 11th? good, that means i can get this done on the weekend! :P for fun though, cause competitions are cool :)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Due to circumstances regarding computers breaking down i was unable to scan this picture and had to take a shabby phone photo of it instead. Had i not of had so much going on right now with everything this would have been a better piece of art but as it stands i'm busy with numerous things so i gotta submit this as is.
I will explain the idea behind it though as a bit of thought did actually go into this design. Had i of actually gotten this past a concept idea stage it would have been a decent submission.

Anyways, ef it. Here it is XD;;
Posted Image
DiGi and Lunar Bunnio
So then, what is this exactly?
Well, naturally it was a 'Valentine' design but remixed. I wanted his ears to be shaped differently, and in homage to NiGHTS i went for the horn/hat shape appearance.
The image of 'cresent moons' was gonna be more present on him, though in this sketch only a cresent moon hangs off of a chain on his scarf thingy.

The reason for the moon idea came from the old Japanese tale of there living a Rabbit on the moon that makes 'mochi', (a type of rice cake).

So, i took the idea of having the legend of rabbits living on the moon, mixed it with my bunny man alter-ego Valentine and created this creature called 'Lunar Bunnio'. In this 'incarnation' of Val, he does not have a mouth so actions and movement play a bigger role in communicating. I was kinda taking that whole NiGHTS expression ascpet on with that, partly why i chose to make his ears that shape too.

Abilities, can hear other Stands over great distances. His hearing acts like radar. In return, due to having no mouth he can send out blips of noise via airwaves to other Stands within the area. Kinda like a morse-code kinda thing for Stands, lol.

Lunar Bunnio form of attack is mostly attacks with the ears and legs.

That's all i've got.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Cool, another entry to the list. By the way, is the name Lunar Bunnio a music reference?

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Awesome entry DiG' ^^ He looks kick-ass!

Cool, another entry to the list. By the way, is the name Lunar Bunnio a music reference?

Themes to Dreams 3 mebbeh? xD

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Nope, it was the first name that popped in to my mind XD;; I didn't have much time with developing this guy, lol.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

totally wasn't able to even do anything in MSPaint or ASCII. DARN!!! :( sorry, zero. ima n00wb

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
You can always do what DiGi did. Draw it on paper and then photograph it. I'm not picky.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
So, guess what? Turns out I guess I was lying when I said I wasn't going to enter? BECAUSE HERE I GO!
I decided to re-draw what I had with MS-Paint. For some reason I like the "only black/white drawn-with-a-mouse in Paint" aesthetic. And if you think the handdrawn version might have been snazzier... IT WASN'T.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Stand info:
Name: Science Club (after Logan Whitehurst & the Junior Science Club or see the music archive)
Appearance: a giant cyclopic brain with tentacles sprouting out of it.
Abilities: tentacles can expand/contract, they also can be charged with a type of psychic energy that induces confusion in those who are close to it. This causes a weakening of other Stands as the wielder's link with them weakens from the confusion. The tentacles can also be used for physical interaction. Science Club can also communicate through tentacle-contact, a sort of telepathy. However normal people fall into a brief, yet deep trance when this happens due to the simultaneous confusion effect. Its one lidless eye is incredibly sharp, enough to sense minute muscle twitches, giving a sensory edge in combat.

While not representing "insanity" per se, Science Club is an incarnation of both great knowledge and great weirdness.

If I'm posting it in this thread, I assume I don't also have to send you a message/email with a link? Because that would be kind of redundant.
(PS: Yes, I've been known wear a stripy jacket, tie, and fedora.)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yeah, posting here is fine too. Way to go by the way! You're in the running with the other entries.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
Posted Image

here's my entry :P

He's called Midicronica, after the final credits band of Samurai Champloo

his ability is to transfer all of his spikes to one part of his body e.g. he could have them all over an arm one minute, then his other leg the next, or dotted about randomly, whatever the situation calls for, as they act as his shield, while they could be used offensively aswell.

was considering entering Dex but then i thought that that was no fun, i've already made him, i might as well make something new and different from my normal anthro animals :) and i decided to make my face show this change from the norm XD

hope ya like it Zero, was fun to make indeed! :P

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Moonwalking in from the St. James Infirmary is my stand, Calloway!

Posted Image

I chose the jazz band leader Cab Calloway as the stand's namesake, and based the design off of Max Fleischer's "Minnie the Moocher" cartoon. It was Cab Calloway's early music video of sorts.

I knew I wanted a backgound, so I made a stage to draw attention to the stand itself. (And yes, I have been known to look like an escapee from the cast of "Cabaret".)

Appearance: A giant ghostly walrus-thing with a purple aura.

Abilities: The stand can see into dreams and control them. Calloway can also use it's purple aura to make a mist that causes things to disappear, and it's constant wailing of "hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho" is tormenting.

I had a wonderful time trying to get my idea to work, and it's all dedicated to His Hi-de-Highness of Ho-de-ho.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Well, my contest has hit the deadline for submissions. I just finished writing a detailed explanation on what is happening next on my DA journal. You can see it at the following link.

http://zero-shift64....rt.com/journal/

I can't emphasize enough how important it is for people to vote for your favorites. Even if your interest in the whole thing is limited your voice can make a difference. Remember, keep them private and only tell me.

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion!

Oh and as always, any pimping of this on the internet is appreciated. I want to get a lot of votes.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Well everybody, it was one hell of a ride but all things must come to an end eventually. The contest is over...

Or is it?!

As usual, details can be found on my DA journal.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
And that was a winner worthy of winning. Nice one :P

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Now all that's left is the bonus prizes. >:P

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Omg awesome! I'm so happy for the winner! ^___^

Squeeeeee bonus prizes!!!! :D

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
Oh right, the winner was announced! :D i'm so slow....and well done Ideya-Freak, quite the funky designs going on here!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
Ideya-Freak's really is a super-cool entry.

(Now I'm curious about the SURPRISE TWISTS & TURNS!)

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Well, that's it. the contest is officially over. All winners have been decided so if you participated be sure to check your message box.

This was a real treat guys. A lot of fun to do.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Indeed it was :D I had alot of fun. Congratulations to everyone who entered!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
Wooooo contests! Congrats to all the winner-types!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I've sent most of the prizes out. I'm still waiting to hear back from two more people. Outside of that I was hoping that those of you here that won something will post your thoughts on what you think of the series after reading some of it. I'm just curious about what others think of this series I love.

Okay, so I've had contests for JoJo and Fist of the North Star, my two favorite manga. What should I do next? Slam Dunk maybe? XD

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
i really liked the first volume! the art's really detailed and i spent fifteen minutes per page just looking at the epic XD and the story looks to be very promising from what i've read, i intend to buy more but my manga sites say it's out of print D:

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
They're lying. No way this is out of print and even on the off chance it is, you can find volumes easily enough on amazon.co.uk or ebay or whatever.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
that's what i thought, they've got tonnes of ancient stuff but not this? XD amazon eh? i'll give that a go!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users