Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Zero's Bizarre Manga Giveaway Contest!

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
You know what? I love giving things away. I think it's fun, especially this time of year. You know what else I love? JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It's a contender for my favorite manga of all time and I think it's criminal how little it's known here in the US which has prompted this contest. What's at stake? What are the rules? Read below.

The Contest
Design your own stand and draw yourself with it. At contests end, the best submission will be selected and the creator wins the entire collection of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure manga that has been released in the US thus far. Runner-ups will get the first volume.

What's a Stand?
A Stand is a supernatural ability in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. In a nutshell, it's like a physical manifestation or a person's spirit and they all have unique abilities and appearances. For more detail check the link below and go to the "Stand section at the bottom of the page. For whatever reason I can't link directly to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jojo's_Bizarre_Adventure

You can also search JoJo's Bizarre Adventure on Youtube to see some vids of Stands in action. "vs Dio" seems to get good results. You can also Google names of some of the listed Stands to see references.

The Rules
-Create a Stand and draw a picture of yourself with it.
-Describe your Stand's abilities in the image description
-Give your Stand a name. Stands are named after bands, albums, songs, or any other kind of music reference.
-Though Stands are typically humanoid in appearance they can technically look like almost anything so there are no limits to what your Stand can look like.
-Pictures will be judged primarily on originality of the look and ability of the Stand as well as the overall quality of the illustration.

The Prize
-The winner gets: Volumes 1-13 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as localized and published by Viz media under the Shonen Jump Advanced line.

-The first six runner-ups get: Volume 1 of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure as localized and published by Viz media under the Shonen Jump Advanced line.

-After a winner is picked, prizes will be mailed out as soon as possible. All expenses including shipping will be paid for by me.

The Deadline
-Just upload your submission to a gallery somewhere and send me a message with the link.
-The deadline is New Years Day for now. It may be slightly extended if enough people express interest but need a bit more time.

So there you go. Get those creative juices flowing. Even if you've never read JoJo it only takes a little knowledge to participate in this contest. It's almost better if you've never read the series since this is a golden opportunity to check out one of the greatest manga of all time.

And for anybody questioning the legitimacy on this contest I can't really do much more than give my word that I am dead serious about the prizes and will reward people who participate. Besides, what do you lose for trying? If you don't believe me, feel free to ask the people in the following link if I'm serious or not.

TRiPPY
DiGi
JaxTH
Roam

Good luck guys and have fun.

*UPDATE*

Participants and Stand

Viperxmns - Helter Skelter

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Oh man, I will enter this. I've never read the JJBA manga but I loved the game for Dreamcast. I'll think of something fun - just be aware that my art skills are QUITE LIMITED! I think I'll be able to have something worthwhile anyway. A FUN ARTISTIC EXPERIMENT REGARDLESS!

Fun fact: my last name is pronounced almost identically to "Dio" so I GUESS I'M HALFWAY THERE!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
There's really no reason not to try this when you consider two things:

1. The six runner-ups are getting prizes anyway.

2. Turnout for my contests is never very large.

Go for it. And while you're at it, try to spread the word wherever you go. I've mentioned this on two other sites and want to get as many people involved as I can.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've heard of JoJo, but haven't gotten into it.. something tells me I'd dig it. Gotta get familiar with these Stand dealies.. I probably would have thought of my own Stand long ago already..

Hehe, I'm amused at the kinds of names they choose for the Stands..

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Dude, giving stuff away is awesome. I dunno if I'm gonna enter or not, but my hat is off to you for your generosity and kind spirit.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
woo, i remember the last contest! zero-shift, you are quite the kind legend! i shall have to see if i can enter though, college has eaten away all my free time for drawing bloody landscapes and lamps...bah!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Well, it's like I said, if there is enough interest but people need more time I'll extend the deadline a bit. I think maybe the biggest reason my last two contests didn't really take off was the short timeframe. For the first contest though it's just as likely because I was asking a lot of ridiculously hard questions. I think the highest score was like 5 out of 40 or something. XD

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
If i have time i'm going to enter too, though time is limited for me lately what with everything going on in regards to projects and campaigns. But this is a cool competition here, nice one Zero.

I'll proceed to pimp it via Twitter and FaceBook in hopes you'll get more people check it out.

--edit--
Also, in regards to legitimacy, and this is coming from me of course ;D, Zero really means what he says. I mean, sometimes we'll get a random box turn up at our front door. What is it? A BUNCH OF STUFF FROM ZERO BECAUSE HE KEEPS SENDING US BUNCHES OF STUFF!! ...no really, he's very generous and this competition is the real thing.

Enter and have fun! :(

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Lol yes i can vouch for Zero too, he really IS that crazy and awesome. It's nothanks to him we have a Deadpool obsession (and entire collection) now.

I think I'll enter this too. I've never played the game or read the comics but DiGi has the game on his shelf and i should really check it out, the whole Stand things remind me of the Gens. I like the fact they have music refs too, that's just cool :(

I'll try get something in before the deadline.

Everyone enter! What can you lose with free comics :D

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I BELIEVE ZERO-SHIFT WILL GIVE AWAY JOJO COMICS IF YOU WIN AND TO PROVE I'M BEING LEGIT I'LL BURN MY ASS IF I'M PROVEN WRONG!!!! ^_^

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
WHO ARE YOUR SOURCES?

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

WHO ARE YOUR SOURCES?

Well, given DiGi's reliablity, HE'S A TERRORIST!

Contests are always fun, so I might just have to do something. ^_^

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I'll ship anywhere.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
Hmm, seeing as I never follow threw my plans I'm not promising I'll enter, but I am very interested. The game was awesome, I watched the original OVA and I HAD a set of figurines including the heroes and there stands, some went missing, there kind of small :P

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Can it be drawn both on paper or digital? You're cool with either yeah?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yep, anything goes. I'm not picky. You can use any medium you like. So long as it's a picture of you with your Stand I'm happy.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Read the instructions again.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Okay folks, a little update for you. It's been one week since the contest started and I'm happy to say we already have one submission from none other than Viperxmns. A round of applause for him. He's the current front runner after all.

I'm going to keep the submissions to myself for now but I'll likely start posting links once I get more pics or the contest gets closer to its end. I would really prefer the first one though so everybody be sure to get your Stands in before deadline. Also, feel free to share this contest with any of your friends, online or off. This isn't exclusive to this forum and I'd like as much involvement as possible.

In the meantime, feel free to watch these assorted JoJo related vids for inspiration or just your own enjoyment.

iPod JoJo-Heroes
iPod JoJo-Villains
Diamond is Unbreakable-Romantik Areguyo
Golden Wind-What's up Gang?
Stone Ocean-Zankoku
Morioh Busters

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
Just sent in my entry, let's just say a certain Pony has returned. =D

Can it be drawn both on paper or digital? You're cool with either yeah?

I'm soooo gonna kick your ass TRiPPY. You are no match for my epic art skillz! xD

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Okay, there's no rule against hiring an elite squad of artist-ninjas from Hong Kong to come and draw something for me, right?

I really wish I could draw. I'm just...terrible. Give me a guitar, and I'm good to go. I wish I could draw using guitar-wankery :(

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I feel your pain Level 99...
I lack such a talent as well...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

Okay, there's no rule against hiring an elite squad of artist-ninjas from Hong Kong to come and draw something for me, right?

I really wish I could draw. I'm just...terrible. Give me a guitar, and I'm good to go. I wish I could draw using guitar-wankery :(

I'm not judging to heavily on artistic talent. The biggest factor is originality. However, I've been considering the idea of letting people submit pictures drawn by others so long as it's your original idea. I'm a little on the fence, but any opinions on this would be appreciated.

It seems the two biggest factors preventing others from participating are unfamiliarity with JoJo and fear of actually drawing.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeah, if you can get people to draw something for you then sure, as long as it's your idea. You'd need to find someone willing to take on requests though, which can be a hassle, but otherwise i say go for it.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Well, it's been two weeks now and there are still only two submissions thus far. I'll post images later. In the meantime, I've been thinking long and hard about this, but I'm adding a little something to the contest.

The JoJo contest is going a little slowly which is a bit disheartening since I posted it on several sites/forums. I'm not sure if it's because nobody is interested in trying a series that is fairly unknown in the west but I suspect a bigger factor is people are afraid their art skills may not be very good even though submissions aren't being judged heavily on how they look. With that in mind I'm adding a little something to the contest.

If you wish to participate in the contest, you are free submit a piece illustrated by another artist so long as the idea is yours. How you get someone else to draw it is up to you, but please try not to spend a lot of money on some huge commission or something since it may not guarantee you winning.

Other than that, all other details remain the same and can be found in the first post.

That's it for now. There is still plenty of time to enter so I hope to see more soon.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Shoulda done this before, I'm gonna link this in the Adult Swim forum (Other Anime section), it's a high traffic forum, perchance some peeps there may be interested. One question though, how might they get in touch with you if they're not signed up here?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
The most public place would probably be my deviantart page. It's easy enough place to get to. :)

http://zero-shift64.deviantart.com/

Outside of that they may be out of luck because I refuse to just divulge my e-mail address publicly.

Also, thanks Viper. Any word of mouth you can going is nice. Maybe I can get Stevo to mention something on OCR.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ok cool, hopefully those interested will likely have a DA account.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I'm the type that draws a line with another line running through the middle and two lines comming out of the bottom while a circle is pearched on top and call it "man"...
So I fit undr the catagory of a sniviling coward who can't/won't draw :)
If I had my 3-D animator working I'd be on this... my poor, poor Maya 8.0...
Don't know how I would find the time to actually enjoy the manga anyways...
Good luck to all who enter!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
This is mostly just a reminder about the deadline of the JoJo contest. There is slightly less than two weeks until the initial deadline. I can't stress enough though that if you need more time, don't hesitate to let me know. There has been a lot of new interest in the last week or so and I am willing to extend the deadline because of that.

The total number of entries is still sitting pretty at two.

I also wanted to let everybody know there is going to be a special surprise at the end of the contest. What is it? Only I know. All I'll say is it's epic and if you were on the fence about participating it might be worth changing your mind.

Let that strudel stir in the noodle.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
I'll mention this the next time I bump the NiGHTS thread, and/or in the fanart contest thread. Hopefully, it'll see a few people interested.

I've still been thinking about doing one, and I may just knuckle under and do one as a joke entry since I don't want to have anyone waste their time drawing one for me :lol:

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts

I've still been thinking about doing one, and I may just knuckle under and do one as a joke entry since I don't want to have anyone waste their time drawing one for me :lol:

You wouldn't be the first and at this point you'd still win a runner-up prize so what the hell. XD

Seriously though, feel free to get creative. You came up with a pretty cool Fan Maren. Somehow I don't think a Stand is out of your league.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
I made a new thread at OCR about this, so hopefully it'll get you some more attention. It'd be a huge shame to see your generosity met with little response. I started coming up with ideas for a stand for myself, and if all else fails I'll just send you a stick figure drawing in paint.net with a long-winded explanation of what the hell it's supposed to be.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Merry Christmas everyone!

I wanted to mention that I'm extending the deadline on the JoJo contest to the end of January 11, my birthday. There are a few people who because of the holidays needed some extra time which is fine. Besides, it's an easier deadline for me to remember for obvious reasons.

Don't squander this time. There is going to be something epic down the road. Take my word for it.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
ffff this sounds really awesome! Maybe I'll actually try, for fun.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Now that the deadline has been extended, I'm gonna enter this man :lol:

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Yay. Really glad to hear that guys.

That big stack of 13 manga volumes is just itching for a proper owner. XD

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Zero, I'm currently doing my first anime-styled drawing, just for you.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
You mean for yourself...to get free stuff. Don't act so noble Jof. XD

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Same goes for anybody else who's told me they plan to enter.

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
: ) I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. Here you go Zero!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Very nice! You're entry number four Jof.

You know, I said I'd get the first volume for six runner-ups but considering people aren't jumping all over this contest I'm thinking I'm possibly going to give the first volume to everybody who enters.

And then there's my little twist. Bwahahaha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users