Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Don't Forget NiGHTS

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
616 replies to this topic

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

*gulp*

I sure hope NiGHTS isn't delegated to that task... That'd be a huge insult to the fans.

They'd probably use Cream or a Chao for that.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

and I could write another two paragraphs explaining why, but I'm sure none of you need it explained it to you.

All of which would be wrong. I know this whole situation is upsetting but trust me, Sumo are not the ones to blame. In the slightest.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
People are now speculating about the extra courses apparently in the game. It'd be awesome if there was a NiGHTS one. I don't know nothing about that but heck i can wish lol. Though aren't all the courses in the game linked to playable characters?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Doesn't mean all of them have to be. If I recall correctly there was a House of the Dead themed court in All Star Tennis despite none of the playable characters being from HotD.

At this point having a NiGHTS track without playable NiGHTS would be a bit of a slap in the face but I'll take what I can. If nothing else it would be another reason to request NiGHTS as DLC. XD

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Hahah that's a good point XD NiGHTS track and no NiGHTS would make me rageface a bit but then I think I'd be too busy being blissed over the fact NiGHTS was represented to care. I think anything we can get at the moment would be a major win considering how far along the game was when we started this campaign. sh!t i think i'd be happy even if the TSS pian reflection halucinations were proven real at this point :D lol

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
A race course through Twin Seeds at night... *swoon*

We still want the character, dagnabbit, but it'd be nice to have SOMETHING out of the box - especially since I have a Wii, Dad and sister have PS3s, and there's not a 360 in sight! XD;; It adds just a bit to my fangirl-rage that this "minor oversight" on some exec's part has robbed me of my chance at playing him, but he still deserves to be included!

Maybe I'll just hold NiGHTS-kun in front of the TV as I play.. XDDD

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

All of which would be wrong. I know this whole situation is upsetting but trust me, Sumo are not the ones to blame. In the slightest.

Hm. So does this mean that although Big happens to be a 'Sumo favorite', it was ultimately Sega who commanded them to make him playable? My logic here is, replace Big with NiGHTS and tell me if it would have somehow been a different situation.

Personally, in order to lift any blame off Sumo they would have had to have wanted NiGHTS in the game, but Sega rejected the idea. Then I absolve them. Until that proves to be the case, they share guilt. Hoo.

waterhope

waterhope

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Personally, in order to lift any blame off Sumo they would have had to have wanted NiGHTS in the game, but Sega rejected the idea. Then I absolve them. Until that proves to be the case, they share guilt. Hoo.

Not really. Sega gets to decides on who makes the cut/out come of the game.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
But my point is also that Sumo had the ability to suggest characters. They wanted certain characters in the game too. So what I'm saying is, evidence supports the idea not necessarily that they didn't want NiGHTS, merely that they had no personal inclinations to include NiGHTS. They themselves didn't support him, only we did. That's what I'm saying. Unless I'm proven wrong, which I would be glad to be.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I know exactly why NiGHTS isn't playable in the game, but I'm not about to say why, and i wouldn't want to anyway because it's distracting from keeping the campaign a positive thing.

I don't mean to sound annoying, but do you think there will ever be a time when you'll explain why NiGHTS was excluded? It just baffles me.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
As i've said before, you've all got your own theories about what happened so go with it. Whatever. I'm obviously not in a position to talk about it right now so really who am i to stop you, especially you Viper. All i can say is you got it wrong and that's about as far as i can take it.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
All right then, you know things I don't, so I'll just leave it at if I misplaced any blame anywhere, I'll take it back. Without knowing certain things I can't make heads or tails of it all, so I guess we'll have to 'let it be' about certain things and continue to hope NiGHTS makes it as DLC.

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
When will you guys be allowed to talk about the issue? Will it be several months from now, or does it have to be a resounding "never"? If it is the latter, are you guys allowed to hint at what the reason was?

I'm still sticking to my guns about JoD being a sales flop (290,000 copies worldwide is pretty bad; even Zack & Wiki beat it, although it ain't no SpyBorgs) which probably led to internal problems and thus SEGA's purported abandonment of the NiGHTS franchise. The people who worked on the game probably had massive friction with their higher-ups, especially with the 180 they had to pull in the middle of working on the project. This is not uncommon. Remember Tomonobu Itagaki?

Although I believe the people who worked on JoD are currently still employed with SEGA/Sonic Team... yeah, I'm rambling again and had a few JW Dundees... what do you want from me? :o

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
A definate -never- unless we get told otherwise. We like to keep our word till the bitter end lol.

The thing that annoys me about JoD's sales is that if the game had been properly advertised and not ripped out from under Sonicteams feet when they were putting hard work and love into it, it would have definately sold better. The canceling of the 360 version makes me so mad! I heard there was tons of -GOOD AND COOL- stuff that was crossed off the list in development by someone who didnt have a clue about NiGHTS and just wanted to push it to the PC kiddie brigade. Ngggh.
The original advertising for NiD was noticable to get me excited for the game as a 14yr old. TV, print, even found NiGHTS advertising in a local cinema all over postcards! It wasn't marketed at little children. If it had been, i don't think i would have been as interested tbh. I tend to find that stuff patronizing. NiGHTS was sublime cool and edgy. I remember all the guys at school fawning over the arcade scoring!

I hope one day they remake JoD for some future system and give it the attention and optimism it actually deserved.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
In terms of why NiGHTS is not playable in the first place, i wouldn't say 'never' on us being able to talk about it. In truth, it's all a matter of wording and when to explain said things. Right now, it's not the time so don't be expecting anything from me on the subject.

All i can really do is tell you all that whatever we're currently getting is down to the fact this campaign caused it. As far as DLC goes though, we still need to keep asking and showing demand for that.

Tenshi_no_yoru

Tenshi_no_yoru

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Reala, Jackle, drawing, singing, video games, the music, shonen manga

The canceling of the 360 version makes me so mad! I heard there was tons of -GOOD AND COOL- stuff that was crossed off the list in development by someone who didnt have a clue about NiGHTS and just wanted to push it to the PC kiddie brigade. Ngggh.

it mean he will leave JOD on Xbox 360 or is that google translation was poorly translated and I therefore made a false joy? XD

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

it mean he will leave JOD on Xbox 360 or is that google translation was poorly translated and I therefore made a false joy? XD

lol, no wonder why your sentences sound funny. You are using a translator to talk with us. That's pretty cool. Do you also have some basic knowledge of English?

Back on topic: Sadly, all development on the 360 version was rerouted to make it on the Wii. So many things had to be cut to compensate the weakness of the Wii.

Tenshi_no_yoru

Tenshi_no_yoru

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Reala, Jackle, drawing, singing, video games, the music, shonen manga

lol, no wonder why your sentences sound funny. You are using a translator to talk with us. That's pretty cool. Do you also have some basic knowledge of English?

Back on topic: Sadly, all development on the 360 version was rerouted to make it on the Wii. So many things had to be cut to compensate the weakness of the Wii.

XD yep I use an online translator to write as well as to read your answers ... and I have almost no knowledge of English if it would give my sentences: NiGHTS is remake to Xbox 360 or google translation as false surprised me? XD

forgive me XD

O_O why they deviated on the Wii? " the game was beautiful on Xbox 360! and is NiGHTS have found the same success in 1996 ...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Remember Tomonobu Itagaki?

I do not. Do explain; anything that could help us figure out what's going on is good.

A definate -never- unless we get told otherwise. We like to keep our word till the bitter end lol.

That's a good trait to have, TRiPPY. :P

JoD's marketing was atrocious. I don't recall ever having seen anything relating to it, except for a two-page spread in Nintendo Power with a glowing review. It figures that Nintendo is better at marketing Sega's game than Sega. :D

In terms of why NiGHTS is not playable in the first place, i wouldn't say 'never' on us being able to talk about it. In truth, it's all a matter of wording and when to explain said things. Right now, it's not the time so don't be expecting anything from me on the subject.

All i can really do is tell you all that whatever we're currently getting is down to the fact this campaign caused it. As far as DLC goes though, we still need to keep asking and showing demand for that.

I understand your point, DiGi. It's good to know that you won't go behind peoples' backs and potentially cause problems. :)

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

I do not. Do explain; anything that could help us figure out what's going on is good.

Whoops, my bad. Itagaki has nothing to do with SEGA. He was just an example of a video game industry employee being treated unfairly. He worked for Tecmo before "quitting" and became a freelance consultant.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Whoops, my bad. Itagaki has nothing to do with SEGA. He was just an example of a video game industry employee being treated unfairly. He worked for Tecmo before "quitting" and became a freelance consultant.

Cool. Thanks for clearing that up. :D

It does seem to happen a lot in the industry. Didn't the same thing happen to Yuji Naka and Masahiro Sakurai, the creator of Kirby?

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I'm probably extremely late with this, but did any of you see this?

Posted Image

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
lol Dude, that's hilarious! Really hope we do get DLC for him/her.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Kori linked to this ages ago XD;

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
I really do love that. The expressions in the panels are wonderful.

MADAMOiSELLE

MADAMOiSELLE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, gaming, nerdy things in general...
OMG guys. I had my very first dream with NiGHTS in it a couple of nights ago. I only dreamed of two levels, one, a beach. I dreamt that I had dualized with NiGHTS, and was flying right past the shore, with these huge sanddunes over me. Then I dreamt that the Nightmaren here was this random bat crossed with a spider, and that you have to 'run' away from it. It was freaking scary, man. Anywho, I managed to escape this fearsome creature, opened a door at the end, and suddenly back at the dreamgate. The next level was this mansion house that was throwing a party. I remember nothing past that. Must have had a Night Over. Still, I felt so happy afterwards that I had finally got to meet NiGHTS! Just thought I'd share that deliciously wonderful tale with you all.

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
When are the AWESOMEsocks going to get burned?

I forgot who made that bet with you, DiGi...

Kori

Kori

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, reading, writing, making AMVs, games, movies, romance, anime & manga (current fave: Naruto), 80s and 90s cartoons, and of course, anything to do with NiGHTS! X3
Actually, NinMicroSega, I gotta thank you for reposting the comic! I checked my DA messages - a few hours after you did, I had at least 7 more people fave it! XD Thanks for the DLC love everyone! :3

I'd love to do more - heck, I'd thought of an animatic-video-thing I could scribble out to the tune of "Anything You Can Do" with Sonic VS NiGHTS. XDDDDD BUT life's been stinkin' busy, and I' m not sure I can get it started/finished in time for the campaign... sorry guys! TT^TT

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ah, the ''demand'' in my signature attracted the attention of SumoRex on the Sega forum.. he felt irritated by it, so I explained my feelings on the matter.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
What was said? I'm having trouble finding the topic in question.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Oh , it was a PM, shoulda clarified that (hence why I'm debating whether to share the conversation). I'm hoping he'll respond..

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Please do tell us what was said if it's not too private. I find it kinda odd that he's chosen to PM you directly without you approaching him first.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Nothing to see here

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
TBH, Sumorex has come across as a little stand-offish in the face of the campaign. He also said some comments over at the SEGA forums along the same lines. I don't really appreciate him doing so. Where have we ever "demanded" anything. It's a supportive campaign, there's a fanbase that would like to see something happen. If he doesn't like the campaign, then he can ignore it, he doesn't need to try and intervene.

Viper, I think you're reply was perfect.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
How interesting. I guess Rex must be having a bad day then. If i recall correctly i sent SUMO a bunch of chocolates as a way of showing appreciation for understanding, because if anything is innocent it's SUMO right now. I'm pretty sure Rex got a choccy from the batch i sent so there should be no ill feelings from either side between this community and SUMO. At least, not to my knowledge.

However, i have said throughout this campaign that we should not demand things because then we start to look like the Shenmue 3 crowd and that type of attitude gets us nowhere. It's why when i began this campaign i told everyone to 'ask' for NiGHTS, not demand for him. Asking and demanding can really change an outcome on things like this. His response to your 'demand' is a prime example of how that attitude makes game developers feel i.e. even less likely to do what you're requesting.

I think Rex probably took it a little too much to heart but that's the net for you.

Anyway, you can remove the copy/paste now Viper. Best not keep it up as it may annoy him further and we wouldn't want that. He does mention that he said it to you in 'private' so best bet would be to remove that exchange there XD;;

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
My thoughts exactly.. I didn't feel comfortable sharing that but I felt it important. Hurting the campaign with phrasing is obviously the last thing I want to do, but hey, sometimes you need to to get attention as well, heh. And again, it's really not like it's something trivial; in context, it kinda matters. We're talking about something that should have been obvious to the developers from the start.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
And i agree with you all the way Viper. I'm the first to say this should have never had to happen as NiGHTS should have been there right off the bat. But it has so now we have to do our best to fix it. And the best way to fix it is meeting them on a level with us. So far, i feel the fact that S0L himself even made a topic here saying that our community is a nice bunch is evidence enough that we have been going around this the right way.

Whether it makes a difference or not though is down to SEGA, as we all know.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I for one never interpreted the 'demand' as anything serious. The internet is a terrible place for sarcasm...

NinMicroSega

NinMicroSega

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Whoa, I must have missed something juicy. Was it GAF-worthy? Or was it "I should shut my trap and walk away slowly"-worthy? Probably the latter.

Later, guys.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Wish I woke up a bit earlier. Feels like I missed out on something really important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users