Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Otakon 2010

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
So the other two con threads sound awesome (wish I could go to Detour, but I lack monies for planes beyond A-kon, which is a must), and figured I might as well post one for Otakon.

For those of you who don't know, Otakon is... what, the third largest convention in the US? It's massive, I'll tell you that, and unless you're staying with people who live in Baltimore, you *really* wanna get a room. They're not too bad around the convention, even if it's not the hotels connected to it. Stayed someplace a few blocks off in '08 and it was still pretty nice. Not to mention, outside of the con, the Harbour is pretty dang cool. But back to the con proper.

The con is running July 30th through August 1st 2010 in the Baltimore Convention Centre. They haven't updated their page yet by way of guests and all, but Otakon certainly has a good track record.

Anyone planning on or thinking about heading to Ota?

List thus far:

CONFIRMED-
-Level99
-Ten

CONSIDERING/MAYBES-
-Kamui
-Zero-Shift

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
My friend Deia is coming down for Otakon again, I believe. She's been nudging me to cosplay as Gordon Freeman. So...yes, I'll probably be there this year. As a native Baltimorean, I'd also be happy to answer any questions you have about the city, the surrounding area, and whatever.

Ten is absolutely right about hotels. If you're not staying with someone you know, get a room as close to the convention center as possible...and FAST. There are soooooo many people at this con. I didn't get to go last year as I was getting ready for a listening party and whatnot, but I heard the line for people who already had badges just to get INTO the con was hours long on day 2. This is cosplay heaven for people, though. :)

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
It really is. And I'm going to die in costume because dear god it gets warm. On that note, bring water. No matter what convention you go to, even if it's not your first and I'm just reiterating stuff you already know, BRING. WATER. Hydrating will make life a lot easier on you, the staff, and hopefully there will be no problems that way.

Lines... Badge Day. That is the solution. The Thursday before the convention, go get your badges. And preregister. Preregistration is awesome and so much faster than if you were to do it on-site. Even if you have to wait in a line, you're just picking stuff up, not fussing with wallets or anything else. Smaller cons, going in on-site is fine, but... Otakon lines can go for ever.

And cosplay heaven though it may be, as a cosplayer, please be careful of props and costume parts. XD;;; Needless warning is needless, but you all know why I say it. Same reason I give the warning about water, though the water really is more important. >o>

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
Didn't the line get so bad last year that it WRAPPED AROUND THE ENTIRE CONVENTION CENTER at least once? Yes, water is good, careful of costumes and be considerate to others, pre-reg and avoid the lines, and so on. Baltimore isn't a bad city, but it can be if you get lost and wander around without people who know the area, so if you're new in town, stay around the Inner Harbor/Camden Yards/Convention Center area.

I will say one thing, though: big cons like Otakon and MAGFest are great for meeting up with them internet-peoples for the first time without really having to worry about much. Big, public area where everyone is just having fun, lots of security, and you're with friends. The first time I went to MAG, I was a bit reserved and kinda worried just because I had never really MET people from OCR in real life. You can figure out who might be a sketchball very quickly at these cons, but for the most part, sketchballs don't attend or are easily ditched, especially if you're with friends. I'm following in Ten's example of "needless warning is needless", but it's better to be said and not needed than unsaid and necessary.

Ten, would you mind possibly editing the OP and using that to make a list of people from here who are either confirmed to go or are considering going? Put me down as confirmed.

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I'm almost positive the lines have been that bad before. I'd have to ask, though.

And Otakon really is great for meeting people. I met a few dA/RP buddies in '07. Good times to be had, there... Even though Ten is fidgety/nervous as all get out when first meeting people. If we get a big enough list, I might well throw together something very purple and pink and yellow/gold just for the sake of being obvious. ...Although around rave-time, that might not work. XD

Tossed in a list for the opening post.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
Hmm convention in the summer, and this is much easier to get to than Detour, Baww I want to be able to go to both and my hometowns X_x ::Empties the dead flies out of her wallet::

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
There is a distinct possibility of me going. Too early to say for sure though.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
I might be going as well. Hopefully I'll have money saved after AnimeNEXT to buy things. T ^ T (lol)

Kyle

Kyle

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Horror films, modern literature, music, minimalism, photography, traveling, languages, thunderstorms.
I would really love to go to this but unfortunately I don't have the time or money ATM. ^_^

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
And as far as I know, it looks like I'll have two flights planned for cons this year. Bah for moving the month before the convention. Oh well. I'm still fully intending to go to both (might even convince someone to do the drive up for A-kon if I know they're going instead of flying) and demmit. I will. D< Not missing this con again. Not when I have a group cosplay planned and with NiD folks quite possibly popping up.

Anyhow, Zero and Kamui have been added to the considering/maybes. DiENE, what's your plan? Granted, it's... not for another ten months or so, so there's definitely time for saving money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users