Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Japanese food

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
I got one of those parcels of random WIN today from Kichigai full of food she nabbed for us in Japan. And yes, i think she actually filled a spare suitcase with it *lmao* I love playing guess the food when i get non english packaging. I love ramen and sugar candies and jelly cups and chocolate and NONOMNOMNOM sorry. Here is photos. I'll let you all know what each thing is in detail when I'm halfway through eating it. Though i think one of the noodle pots requires 4 minutes in the microwave which we don't actually have >_> hahahah.

I WILL LIVE ON NOODLES AND CHOCOLATE AND BE HAPPEH! <3

Posted Image
^Well it's either seafood pudding or some kinda rice mix XD

Posted Image
^Phone straps! <3 Like rainbow Gemons. DiGi stole the green one. Non edible. Though i could try.

Posted Image
^sugar candies and plums! Man the Japanese always make food look so pretty!

Posted Image
MY LUNCH FOR THE NEXT YEAR.

*races off for the kettle to make some Miso Ramen*

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Woo! Hooray for getting a ton of awesomeness!
Japanese food is funtimes! I like ramen that comes with dried bean curd? And adding veggies to my ramen so I can pretend it's healthy. Also drinking Pocari Sweat after working out? I really want to try melon bread because that is a pretty crazy flavor combo.

Also the last time I went to an Asian supermarket I saw a bag of jellyfish that you apparently just empty onto a frying pan and eat. This looks like MADNESS and I am tempted to try it...

Purge

Purge

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:My favorite series are Space Channel 5 Part 2 and Jet Set Radio. I like to draw and play games in my free time.
Wow! I've never been to Japan, but that stuff looks really neat!
I really should go there one day...

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
*having fun trying to read the the packaging*

Ta...r-something...Ko?

I remember when my mom was a flight attendant she used to come back from Tokyo with all sorts of crazy and delicious candies. And Pokemon merchandise. Unfortunately, most of it has been lost to the sands of time... And the candies to my stomach. :D

...Tarako! That's what the first pink thing says. Yay for Japanese class!

*googles it*

It's some sort of fish meal, that is traditionally made to be red. That explains the pink.

Edit: It's made from roe, which is basically unsalted caviar.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Should probably left some instructions in the box. XD *lmao*

You can put the furikake (The pink fishy flakes!) on top of rice and eat it simply like that, make onigiri (rice balls), or make ochazuke (rice with green tea poured on top. Eat like soupy rice!)

Your right Sierra! :D Tarako! I looooooove the mentaiko version but this is pretty much the same. Very yummy!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
hahah just as well you guys told me it was fish! I thought it was strawberry pudding and would have probably shoved milk in it and ate it with a spoon..... Furikake icecream

I love the little swirly naruto things in the ramen pots :D so arty! Everything is in a million little packets. Japan must have huge dustbins. Loving these ricecakes!
Are the plums pickled like savoury pickled or sweet?

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Don't quite remember what type this one is. XD;;; They are probably the sweet sour-like ones. You can eat them with rice too or eat them alone. My mom always makes me eat them when I get sick. I guess it's good for the tummy too!

Edit: Most of the time you don't need a microwave to make these ramen. When I cook the block ramens I just pour hot water and put a plate on top as a cover. Wait for a few minutes and vola! You can probably do the same method with the microwave-needed ones with boiling water. :3

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
That is a very win parcel. I feel so left out here in the south ;~~; We dont have things like asian supermarkets or crazy things packaged with bad english (aside from the extremely fake knockoff toys you see at flea markets) or even legit japanese restaurants. -sigh-

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Something i've always wanted to ask but felt too stupid is what is bubble tea?

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Someone asked me that before. :D *lol* It's either from taiwan or China. Not quite sure. A sweet cold milky tea drink with chewy blackish tapioca balls. I've rarely ever seen it in Japan.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Chewy Tea D: ....

I'm convinced i heard about some Japanese version of cola with chewy gummy things in but it got banned because people were choking on it XD

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I'm convinced i heard about some Japanese version of cola with chewy gummy things in but it got banned because people were choking on it XD

Ha! That's believable. A bunch of weird drinks are popping up like jelly coffee in a can. Taste ok but the texture.... so.... strange. @~@

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
....Jelly.......Coffee?

The Japanese truly have no limits to their zanyness.

Tell us more, Kichigai sensei!

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, drawing, writing, the internet, and basically being a hermit.
Hey, hey, I'm going to the anime convention in Utah in two weeks, and they sell this strange stuff every year. It's sweet, and soft, and covered in sugar.... and has a doughy consistency... what's it called? Dai-something, I know that much...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
oh WOAH WOAH WOAH! Just ate the tastiest thing ever! You know when you get bored of eating the same flavours regular food (for me recently it's been nothing but lemon and cheese!) well i decided to have one of those big UFO pot meals for lunch and arrrgh it was so nice! I managed to follow the instructions (thank god for numbers!) and marveled at the complete non care of everything ever being individualy wrapped. The pot design was very clever, it had little water drainage holes on one side!

It smelt a bit like spicy curry but i think it was soya sauce. And the little packet of garnishings! It had bits of cabbage and radish in (i think). It was so utterly lovely and i now know what i'll be living on when i go to Japan >_> and yayyyy it got rid of my hurty tummy! Theres just something much more apetizing about eating with chopsticks because it stops you from wolfing it all down in 3 seconds. Though i did eat that pretty damn fast... and there's 2 more of them, hohohoh!

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

We used to have a drink with floaty things in it called Orbitz. Not sure if it's the same thing you are referring to.
Posted Image

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
O_O yeah it looked like that! But it was in a seethru can like Tab Cola was.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
Orbiz! I miss that drink SO MUCH!
And Tab Cola in a see-through can? Weird! I only had Tab once and it tasted like poison.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
what ARE the floaty bits in Orbitz?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
If memory serves, they were gummy.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Loufren: Sounds like daifuku. Sweet things like bean paste, chestnuts, cream, or fruits wrapped in mochi.

Trippy: YAKISOBAAAAA! <D One of my absolute FAVES! I could eat that stuff all day~ Try it with spicy chinese mustard and mayo!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
ooooh mayo is great on anything :D Is the flavor soy sauce or curry? because it was a bit like both.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

ooooh mayo is great on anything :D Is the flavor soy sauce or curry? because it was a bit like both.

Ummm... It does have soy sauce but it also has sauces like mirin I think (oppisite of soy sauce). It's kinda a flavor of it's own. It's like inbetween soy sauce, curry, or even cinnamon nutmeggy. XD;;

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
KICHI THIS PLUM SMELLS OF VINEGAR. DOES NOT COMPUTE. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

In other news these crisps are AMAZING. It's like bigger versions of UK crisps but MASSIVE and made of rice. The cheese ones are the best, there's some mad weird unexplanable flavored ones that seem like sugar at first but end up being salty... but not! invisible crazy flavour. Taste great though XD

Loufren

Loufren

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, video games, drawing, writing, the internet, and basically being a hermit.

Loufren: Sounds like daifuku. Sweet things like bean paste, chestnuts, cream, or fruits wrapped in mochi.

Trippy: YAKISOBAAAAA! <D One of my absolute FAVES! I could eat that stuff all day~ Try it with spicy chinese mustard and mayo!

That was it, that was it! Thank you, thank you!! ...But... what's mochi??

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

That is...distressing...

The Japanese definately have a knack for making food (and anything for that matter) totally cute.

My experience with *real* Japanese food is limited, but I do love my Pocky. I could survive on Almond Crush Pocky and Rice. :lol:

(Well, I'd also need tea, but preferably not of the chewy variety)

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Currently eating this exact flavour here and trying to figure out what it is XD

Its like spicy curry beef? Chicken? It has a really nice sesame seed flavour going on.
http://www.maruchan....h/1652.html?t=b

apti

apti

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Ooh yess, the Japanese have some very interesting (and tasty!) snacks. I used to eat nori maki as a snack in high school and everyone thought I was disgusting for eating seaweed. Sucks to be them, it was tasty!! I really like having furikake sprinkled on rice too. Yummyyy.

I like green tea, so I tried making genmaicha a while ago and thought it was really good, all you do is toast some brown rice in a pan and steep it with some green tea. It has a nice toasty taste! Toasty tea... haha :D

Maybe I should send you a care package of American/New England snack stuff? My family makes our own maple syrup some years, I bet you'd like that XD

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
I went to japan two years ago and sampled some pretty nice stuff while i was over there though i stayed away from anythignthat had fish in it as i hate fish.

I got one of those parcels of random WIN today from Kichigai full of food she nabbed for us in Japan. And yes, i think she actually filled a spare suitcase with it *lmao* I love playing guess the food when i get non english packaging. I love ramen and sugar candies and jelly cups and chocolate and NONOMNOMNOM sorry. Here is photos. I'll let you all know what each thing is in detail when I'm halfway through eating it. Though i think one of the noodle pots requires 4 minutes in the microwave which we don't actually have >_> hahahah.

I WILL LIVE ON NOODLES AND CHOCOLATE AND BE HAPPEH! <3

Posted Image
^Well it's either seafood pudding or some kinda rice mix XD

Posted Image
^Phone straps! <3 Like rainbow Gemons. DiGi stole the green one. Non edible. Though i could try.

Posted Image
^sugar candies and plums! Man the Japanese always make food look so pretty!

Posted Image
MY LUNCH FOR THE NEXT YEAR.

*races off for the kettle to make some Miso Ramen*

Some nice stuff there TRiPPY i like the UFO noodles they sell them up london and i tend to buy them every time i go up there amoung other things. Its called the Japan Center and its in Piccadilly if you ever go some time.

However the best japanese food IMO is...

Posted Image

<3 Nuff said.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Almond Crush Pocky shall rule the world some day.

Posted Image

It's tied with the Galaxy Ripple for the best chocolatey product ever. *nods*

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
wait Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? I didn't know the Japan Center DONE UFO noodles! FFFFFF! I shall have to go there tommorow with Becky and buy confusingly labled foodstuffs! Thanks for the tip! XD; (we walk past the store a lot)

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime

wait Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? I didn't know the Japan Center DONE UFO noodles! FFFFFF! I shall have to go there tommorow with Becky and buy confusingly labled foodstuffs! Thanks for the tip! XD; (we walk past the store a lot)

I think they are still there its been a while since i've last been.

heres the location of the place hope it helps

http://www.japancent...md=hlp&page=loc

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
X) yeah i know where it is, i always kinda hang around that area of town when i'm up there. We eat at Soba noodles a lot too, you should go there, it's just off Oxford Street, lovely MASSIVE bowls of ramen and udon omnomnom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users