Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

MAGFest 8 - Jan 1-4, 2010

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
This is absolutely my favorite convention in the world. It is a weekend that I've had the pleasure of looking forward to for many years, and will be the fourth one I have attended. Simply put: If you want a convention by gamers, for gamers, with less of a focus on vendors and more of a focus on concerts, jamming, playing games, and attending some crazy-awesome pannels, THIS is for you!

http://magfest.org/

It's MAGFest!!! I figured I'd share it here in case anyone can or wants to go, because it's absolutely my favorite four days out of the year. I've met some of my best friends from OCRemix there, and made many more just meeting random people who attend. I guarentee you'll find something fun to do if you attend, plus I'll be there, of course!

I know I'm still relatively new here but I do like sharing the things I love with people who will probably enjoy them as well. So go check the site, check your funds, see if you can make it. I could list every single reason to go, but I'd probably break the text box's character limit :P

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
Okay. Wait. What do you mean there's a convention in my city I didn't know about? 8| -Nudges topic with a stick-

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.

Okay. Wait. What do you mean there's a convention in my city I didn't know about? 8| -Nudges topic with a stick-

It's been happening in your city for the past three years...and you didn't know about it? GO THIS YEAR AND HANG OUT!

Seriously, this knocks every other gaming convention out of the water...did you have any questions about the convention?

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I blame the fact that I usually go out of state for cons, namely Otakon and A-kon. And I was considering going for a day to check it out--I usually go with groups so that's half the fun of cons, for me, but I don't know if anyone I usually go with would wanna... Mostly for travel reasons.

I think my biggest question is that while attendance looks about 1300, what's the overall size of the con? Like how's it laid out and all?

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts

I blame the fact that I usually go out of state for cons, namely Otakon and A-kon. And I was considering going for a day to check it out--I usually go with groups so that's half the fun of cons, for me, but I don't know if anyone I usually go with would wanna... Mostly for travel reasons.

I think my biggest question is that while attendance looks about 1300, what's the overall size of the con? Like how's it laid out and all?

It's very very roomy. This year the attendance will be considerably higher, and as such, they've basically rented out the whole hotel. There are maybe a total of 10-20 vendors the entire con, and there's rooms for everything. the biggest two rooms last year were for the concerts (easily fit a couple hundred in there) and the main game room (could probably hold a thousand if necessary). These are just guesses but it's really not that crowded. Everything is very chill and you always have something to do. It never gets boring but it's never too hectic at all. Also, Otakon is held about 20 minutes from my house, lol. Last year, OCR had their FF4 project release at Otakon and part of the listening party was held at my place, and was a BLAST. The fun at MAGfest isn't in seeing stuff you want but can't afford, but rather in playing games and music you like with people who are just as awesome. There's always surprises! There are videos on youtube showing the con itself if you are so inclined to search for them.

I would say definitely go, at least for a day, to check it out. Even if you're really really close, a good chunk of fun will be missed if you don't stay AT the hotel, though. But in either case, I highly encourage it.

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I love conventions, but as I don't really have the income to support my habits (especially since I'm putting together a Black Waltz 2 cosplay for this Otakon--hrk) I don't go to many. I love Otakon and A-kon, too, so they're very much priority cons for me. XD But I will definitely see about hopping up there for a bit one day since it's so close.

Although the fact that there was an FFIV thing last year really bums me out for missing it. Baaaw, love that game and the music.

Sounds like a nice little set up, though.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Oh, it's really really fun. I'd say, compared to most other cons, it's definitely worth the price of admission, though if you're only going for one day it might be harder to say that. I'd suggest that, if you do come, you come on day one to see how it goes. I might have a free one-day guest pass or something cause I signed up as a super-supporter and they gave me two, so I have to check but as long as they aren't claimed, you're welcome to use one! See? There you go, now you have a free one-day trial to a con, possibly. In your city. What other excuses can you pull out NOT to go? ;)

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Depends if I get hauled up to Maryland for New Years, amusingly enough. But! Wow, I wouldn't have expected that--if I can make it and if things work to that, I'll definitely take that offer up. And even if not, thanks anyway. xD

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
I got like a paper advertising this when I went to Video Games Live! back in the July. It looks pretty interesting, but I doubt I'd be able to go. It looks freaking awesome, though. I'll go some year. :)

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
bLiNd's Trance set, which was basically our dance-dj-rave-thingy last year. Wasn't a huge thing at all, they're planning it much much better this coming year. But even so, we had a blast, and the music was amazing:

Also, I haven't watched this one yet, but here's a Magfest 7 Slideshow. Hopefully it has some good pictures!:

Oh, and if you're going and you pre-reg, you can go to the MAGFest New Years Party as well! Wow, I need to stop being so enthusiastic about this event, hehe.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
AHH! IT'S ALMOST HERE!

Also, yes, just forewarning: the costume contest here is more like a roast. I was double-checking on that and, while there are some awesome costumes (my friend is actually going as Chun-Li this year and I'm trying to goad her beau into going as Dhalsim), it's very much more satirical in terms of critiquing. If you've planning on coming in costume, you've been warned -_-

I'll be there from the New Year's party through to the end of it all. So. Freaking. Excited.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Hmm, looks interesting! I'm far too late to notice now, though, so I won't be going XP Plus, while not too far away, no way I'm convincing anyone to drive to Alexandria for just one day; And hotel rates are too expensive for me to ask of my parents.
Maybe, maybe next year, or the year afterwards.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
No worries, and it's definitely worth making plans way in advance to attend. Always lots of surprises in store at this con. Example: I'm trying to get some panel time for my OCAD podcast, and if it happens, me and the other two regular hosts will he host the panel...in bathrobes. Never know what to expect except awesome things.

Ten- Any word on whether or not you'll be able to show up?

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Hmm, fighting tournaments. Me like.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! *spazzflails* I wanna meet NiGHTS fans but it's too expensiiiiiive and faaar awaaaaaay. ;-; *facepalm* It's actually in my state, but yeah, Alexandria's still a bit far for me. XPPP *sighs and saves a shortcut to the site*

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Sigh... I'd have to drive for at least 2 or 3 days to get out to that... I'd love to go though. Sounds like a blast.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! *spazzflails* I wanna meet NiGHTS fans but it's too expensiiiiiive and faaar awaaaaaay. ;-; *facepalm* It's actually in my state, but yeah, Alexandria's still a bit far for me. XPPP *sighs and saves a shortcut to the site*

Your post is very similar to my situation.

Next year... Next year, Level 99, I WILL consider planning for it. Hmm, maybe I'll cross state lines and go to NekoCon first...

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Yeah, same here, waterlily... and... NekoCon? 8D That was my first convention ever this past year!

EDIT: *notices our names, notices 'neko'* Pffft! XD Kitties at NekoCon, cute.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

EDIT: *notices our names, notices 'neko'* Pffft! XD Kitties at NekoCon, cute.

Whoa you're right. Weird coincidence, eh? X3

I almost forgot to bookmark MagFest, d'oh. I wonder what day of the convention would be the best to go on? They hold it for four days, right? Hmm...

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
There's no day particularly better than any other day in terms of events, except that the last day is mostly wrapping-up and goodbyes. First day is when the bulk of people arrive, so if you're looking for the days chock-full of stuff to do, pick day two or three. I'll be serious in saying there's something to do 24 hours a day, no matter what you're looking for. Last year, the DJ set didn't start til midnight the last night of the event, and that went for I think almost two hours (I was a little tipsy at the time, so my perceptions of time were indeed skewed) and people are up all the time doing stuff. The price of entry for the amount of stuff offered, I feel, is extremely cheap especially if you go the whole weekend, though I realize not everyone has the luxury of spending the money on a hotel or staying nearby. It's unlike any other con in that it isn't vendor-centric: it focuses on the people as opposed to the products. There are some vendors of course, but they're a small fraction of the event's structure. You're there to meet people, hang with people, jam with people, play with people, watch panels and concerts with people, and just be nerds...with people. It really is an elaborately-orchestrated hangout of a thousand nerds, geeks, dorks, and musicians. You go as yourself and don't need to bring much else to have a good time! I met the Angry Video Game Nerd for a few minutes at last year's MAG, and he's extremely down-to-earth outside of his character, so it really felt like I was just talking with a fellow person even though I asked him to sign my DVDs, heh. I could go on and on about it, though.

Ahh, just talking about it is getting me sooooo incredibly psyched! Since y'all can't make it this year, I expect at least a few of your to come next year:

Zero: oh, you wanna talk tourneys? I've seen the most intense matches of MvC2, SF2, DOA4, MUGEN, and Tetris Attack in my life. I lost pretty terribly at MAG4 in Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo, out in second round. Last year, someone imported an arcade version of Street Fighter 4 before it ever hit the shores here, and they had it on a huge projector. There was a world record attempt challenge for NIBBLER championship last year, with Walter Day refereeing. Nobody broke any records, but the atmosphere was intense, especially when one of the person's machines froze. You'll be up to your neck with competition if you come, bro. What's your flavor of tourney?

Musashi: meet the musicians that both make and cover the video game music we hold so dear. It's ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC, and if you're into rock or metal, the concerts never disappoint. Jamspace is the entire essence of what the con is about to me, though: just jamming with random people. Find a way to get here, and I assure you, you'll be among your musical brethren.

The two "cats" (ha, I made a funny): just meeting other people who enjoy the obscure games, anime, and nerd culture as you do is enough reason to go. Bring a DS, for sure: so many random WIFI games are played.

Yeah, like I said, I could go on and on about MAG.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I met the Angry Video Game Nerd for a few minutes at last year's MAG, and he's extremely down-to-earth outside of his character, so it really felt like I was just talking with a fellow person even though I asked him to sign my DVDs, heh. I could go on and on about it, though.

Oh, really now? I've never really watched his reviews, but he seems like a really nice guy. It was his 'Rival', That Guy With the Glasses, who partly got me interested in going to Cons again because his video of going to one.

Given how enthusiastic you are about it, it certainly sounds like a great convention! If it helps get you hyped, no one will mind if you go on and on.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts

Oh, really now? I've never really watched his reviews, but he seems like a really nice guy. It was his 'Rival', That Guy With the Glasses, who partly got me interested in going to Cons again because his video of going to one.

Given how enthusiastic you are about it, it certainly sounds like a great convention! If it helps get you hyped, no one will mind if you go on and on.

The one from the "Casper" video, right? Yeah, there's some crazy stuff that indeed goes on at cons. ScrewAttack's SuttertingCraig was there last year too, and just other random web-celebs and people in the industry. There's also a dude named Dom who, if you catch him on the piano, can basically play almost any video game song from memory. I'm just enthusiastic because it's a place where I get to hang with some of my best friends for a few days, jam out whenever I want, meet people who I'm fans of or talk to over forums that have never met, and enjoy everything that is being a video game nerd. And, unlike some other cons, the average level of hygiene here is very high. Being hosted in a hotel does wonders for encouraging proper showering and deodorization :P

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Naw, he went as the Bum. (Though it might have been in the Casper thing as well, I dunno.) Video located scenic here.

A by-ear pianist? Oh yeah, I love people who play by ear. My kinda people, I suppose.

It sounds like a mix between a music con and a video game con. Or is that just because you live and breathe music? XD The amount of people-interaction sounds scary, to be frank. Brr, people are frightening.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts

Naw, he went as the Bum. (Though it might have been in the Casper thing as well, I dunno.) Video located scenic here.

A by-ear pianist? Oh yeah, I love people who play by ear. My kinda people, I suppose.

It sounds like a mix between a music con and a video game con. Or is that just because you live and breathe music? XD The amount of people-interaction sounds scary, to be frank. Brr, people are frightening.

MAGFest = Music and Gaming Festival. So it's basically about games, about music, about the music from games, and all the threads of communities surrounding those subjects. There are less people here than at most other cons though, and you never have to interact with people you don't want to. As frightening as people are in-general, you'd be hard-pressed to not be completely blown away by how cool the average attendee is. I won't deny fact, though: I live and breathe video games, music, computers, and all that jazz.

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

MAGFest = Music and Gaming Festival. So it's basically about games, about music, about the music from games, and all the threads of communities surrounding those subjects.

I probably should have been paying attention when I made that comment. *Sighs and face palms* Or have known what I was talking about, sorry 'bout that.

As frightening as people are in-general, you'd be hard-pressed to not be completely blown away by how cool the average attendee is.

Very good; I strive to find cool people to follow to compensate for my own lameness. Whoo-hoo!

Mr.Me

Mr.Me

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Most sega games, older games (N64 and back), music, internet. . .something else. . .
This sounds so awsome. I would come. . .but just like everything else is asking me to do, i have no money :(
I too know a person who plays videogame music by memory on the piano, but he also learns them by ear. The Great Sea is amazing on the piano :P

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Ten- Any word on whether or not you'll be able to show up?

Whooooo, delayed reply is DELAYED! Well, my dad'll be in town around then, so I'm thinkin' not. And if I am, it'll be for only a portion of the day, also depending on work. Though if all else, I might pop by the con just to say "hi" and all. :>

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
And so I go to MAGFest. It looks like I wont be seeing any of you there, but one day soon, for sure! WOOOHOO!! This is going to be a blast, and i'll get as much footage as possible.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Currently compiling a ton of pictures from MAGFest...oh man, these are too good. Will upload as soon as my bajillion other things to do leave me alone!

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
I lurve Con Pics<3 Must see them!

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
There's about 700, actually. More this year that I'm in than I remember ever so you're in for a treat. Plus plenty of me in a robe!!! They be coming soon-ish.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

There's about 700, actually. More this year that I'm in than I remember ever so you're in for a treat. Plus plenty of me in a robe!!! They be coming soon-ish.

Oh yeah, can't get much better than this~ X3

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
Yaaay, pictures! Sounds fantastic, I can hardly wait to see them. I hope you had a good time. By any chance did you happen to see Lee from Still Gaming or any other gaming celebrities while there?

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
Oh yeah, I saw AVGN in passing, HVGN in passing, Brentalfloss, Stuttering Craig from ScrewAttack (apparently one of my cohosts got his info and we may have him on a podcast at some point), Jon St. John (voice of Duke Nukem and Big the Cat), but MAGFest isn't about celebrities. Those people were pretty much all just hanging out like the rest of us, having fun and enjoying being nerds.

And I miscounted: apparently, in the albums I've been tagged in, there are AT LEAST 927 pictures uploaded already. Yeah, some of these are definitely drunk pictures too... I might need to make a new flickr or whatever to host just these alone.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

And I miscounted: apparently, in the albums I've been tagged in, there are AT LEAST 927 pictures uploaded already.

Posted Image

WATERLiLYCAT

WATERLiLYCAT

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

but MAGFest isn't about celebrities. Those people were pretty much all just hanging out like the rest of us, having fun and enjoying being nerds.

Quite, but for trivia reasons I was curious as to who was there.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
So who met who then? PHOTOS PLZ.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
http://s781.photobuc...mixteam/MAGATE/

There's the album, unfortunately there's no tags or descriptions (just too many pictures) - it's a big compilation of a ton of photo albums i've been tagged in, with me selecting the some of the not-so-good pictures to leave out.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
Dear god, powder blue robe is epic XD

Damn it looks like you had heaps of fun. Would've been awesome to have been there<3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users