Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Losing it's spark.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

MiTCH

MiTCH

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I'm having a bit of a dilemma here. When I first got NiGHTS, I was crazy for it. I constantly played it, got all As in like a week or two, and then kinda lost interest. It seems as if whatever it was that made the game special has faded to me, but I still really want to play and try to get a bit more active in the community. I don't think I've so much as logged on in at least a month. So I ask you, what can I do? What makes the game special, for each of you? What really brings out the brilliance of the game? What should I do?

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
I didn't lose the spark for NiGHTS per se, but I felt like I was ignoring it. I do that for a lot of video games sadly. I finish it, or I can't beat a certain level, so I just lose interest for a while.

But the game is never forgotten. I'm always thinking about it. If I can, I'll draw it(i've been drawing a lot of NiGHTS fanart lately.). Usually, that brings back the spark for me and dive back into the game. Like recently, I'm getting ready for a con and I'm cosplaying as NiGHTS, so I'm hunkering down and playing a bunch of games with NiGHTS in it(Sonic Riders Zero Gravity mostly). And I had ignored JoD for so long, I suddenly felt like playing it again and I had a blast playing it again. :3

I hope whatever techniques I listed helps you. :3

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I put JOD down for a while because when I bought it on the release date, I still didn't get a Wii for another 7 months, sad huh? So I didn't really have this sudden drive to play it because I had gotten used to owning it for so long. I beat Wills story but it was like pulling teeth to make myself play threw again as Helen.

NiGHTS though, I got it when it came out, played it for as long as I had it, the next time I got a new copy I still played it here and there, my Saturn and Wii are what I use all the time.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I have the same problem. What makes NiGHTS important to me is the fans. It's the fanmaren and the people who play the games.

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
What helps for me is thinking about what's beyond the games. The games are these small glimpses of a bigger idea, with much more left unsaid for you to discover on your own. And yes, you could just call that fanfiction/art/music/whathaveyou, but I don't see it that way. ^^ The world of Dreams is limitless, with enough room for everyone's thoughts and inspirations.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

What helps for me is thinking about what's beyond the games. The games are these small glimpses of a bigger idea, with much more left unsaid for you to discover on your own. And yes, you could just call that fanfiction/art/music/whathaveyou, but I don't see it that way. ^^ The world of Dreams is limitless, with enough room for everyone's thoughts and inspirations.

I agree. NiGHTS isn't just a game- it's an entire community of people who elaborate upon the foundation set by NiD. If you look at "NiGHTS" as being applied to the games and everything that stems out from it, then it's not like it's been abandoned just by not involving yourself with a small aspect of a larger entity.

MiTCH

MiTCH

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
I see what you mean by looking beyond the games, and I think that really is what got me interested when I first started playing NiGHTS. Now that I look at NiGHTS as a whole, with the community, fan stuff, and the overall idea, I guess the game isn't exactly the biggest part of it all, simply where it began.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.

I see what you mean by looking beyond the games, and I think that really is what got me interested when I first started playing NiGHTS. Now that I look at NiGHTS as a whole, with the community, fan stuff, and the overall idea, I guess the game isn't exactly the biggest part of it all, simply where it began.

I really agree here. I mean, I got interested in NiGHTS by Sonic (because of the cameos NiGHTS would have in some games). Now I think NiGHTS is a whole lot more than just 2 video games for nearly everyone in the community.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Hey Mitch. We get a lot of people who feel like that over the course of time. I've seen a lot of people come and go in this fanbase. TRiPPY has seen more, she's been in the online fanbase for a very long time.

The thing about NiGHTS is we have to make our fun half the time. It's down to the community to keep the fanbase going because where as a series like Sonic have game after game, NiGHTS has two and a half games in the entire 12 to 13 years he's been around. Because of this it's up to ourselves to entertain ourselves until SEGA decide to give us something else.

This was partly why the fanbase remained active over the years. A lot of people were creating their own stories involving NiGHTS, creating fan characters. Some people took what NiGHTS gave them and looked in to other things relating to the game, like learning how to lucid dream and such.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with popping out of the fanbase if you lose interest, as i said us NiGHTS fans have it tough in the sense that we could just play the game over and over again but that would become boring so we need to do things ourselves.
For me, i can't keep playing the game over and over again because it will become reptitive as all other games would. What i personaly do is i make music based on NiGHTS. I like writing lyrics, there's enough things about NiGHTS and his series to make songs about so that's what i do. But this is just me, of course.

So, in a nutshell, there's nothing wrong with losing interest. It happens to us all considering what we have in comparison to other franchises like Sonic. But the trick is to find something else to do while in the fanbase if nothing else is happening :rolleyes:

MiTCH

MiTCH

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
Yeah, as an EarthBound fan, I'm used to not getting much, so I understand the idea of the community being half the game. At least all the NiGHTS games got a US release. Anyways, thanks for your input, everyone. I guess I'll just be popping in now and then, but I'll still do my best to be here more often then not.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I'm reading all the posts and I noticed people having been talking about it being more than a game, I was thinking literally loosing interest of playing the game, lol.

I come and go from here all the time, and I'm pretty much a straight up lurker on DA, not submitting a thing yet I'm on there everyday lol. But yes the community has definitely got me attached onto some bigger picture, the fanbase is amazing for this game. Its got a magical essence to it that I'm addicted to. This community is the only game dedication community's I frequent as far as forums and such are concerned. The idea around lucid dreaming is probably what keeps me here the most and that was introduced to me via NiD. Too bad I suck at it :/ lol.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
Yeah, for some strange reason, I have to be in a certain mood to play the first one. I might have more interest now that I'm getting a Saturn to play it on, and not emulating it.

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
I know how you feel, lately I've been more into Sonic than NiGHTS, I still like NiGHTS though, just not as much, unless, of course, the NiGHTS series starts to release more games, than I might feel the magic I did when I played for the first time.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
-gets ready to be emotional-

Ok, the thing that keeps me into this game and the characters is my uncle, aka my best friend, who passed away when I was 7. He was 19. He was the person who introduced me to video games; he was a huge gamer himself. Doom, MUD, alot of online stuff. But he also had a dreamcast and playstation. He let me play them and one day we went out and bought sonic adventure 2 for his dreamcast. As I was playing it with him as a little kid I would see NiGHTS cameos throughout the came and I was simply captivated by it. I used to always wonder "what is that beautiful flying purple thing I keep seeing?" He introduced me to the internet as well, and as a little kid around 99/00 (before he died in 2001) I would scour the internet (on that horrible as hell AOL dialup, no less) for information on this "NiGHTS." I think I even saw an early iteration of NiD.com that Trippy made, but I may just have faulty memory. I saw screenshots and wallpapers and all kinds of things, and I was just amazed by it. However, when he died in 2001, things just went downhill. It didn't bother me as a child, but when I got older and really understood the concept of death it really got to me. It just finally hit, you know "you've lost your best friend." I played all his video games and went through his stuff after he died and I continuously kindled my fascination for the purple jester. When I was 12 years old I found a saturn and a sampler of NiD at the flea market, and was ecstatic. I also found a full copy of NiD at another flea market within a few months. I continuously played it, joined the community (back in the IRC days as Sonicrulez) and was just a happy little dorkling. However, depression found its way in and I lost my spark and left the community and took a little while to grow up and realize things aren't all happy like in the video games I escaped to. There is no superhero to come save me from oppression, there is no way to escape reality aside from dreams, and they're temporary. However, once I eventually learned to cope, I got that spark back. I started to remember him and rekindle that love for NiGHTS and the way we used to play games with each other. It's all the memories, the good times, the learning experiences that keeps me coming back. Despite all the dumb things I've done/said in this community, I've learned to move on and become who I really am because of the lovable purple jester that's been influencing me ever since I could pick up a controller. :D

/long post

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Huruyami, that is a beautiful and inspiring story. DiGi is also right. I like to do fan art and make my own instrumental music about NiGHTS. Its a lot of fun to do. Then when I'm not doing that, I'll play the games themselves and be hooked. The quest for higher scores intrigues me as well as the in depth story line you have to figure out for yourself.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
You know i came to a big comparison thought thismorning about the NiGHTS fandom. You guys know I run the site and stuff and I'm always around doing something or another NiGHTSy, even if it's offline and i don't share it with anyone. For a while I stopped sharing things and my thoughts because I wanted some personal time to remember why i cared. But the thing i realised on how -i- feel is that it's like being invited to a huge pop concert that you've waited your entire life to see. There are 2 stages at either end of the hall. One has NiGHTS on and one has (for me) Engelbaum on. Both are equally importantant to me but i want to watch both people sing. So i either stand in the middle so i can see both shows, or if something really good comes on I might run to the front of the one side I'm really feeling at that moment in time. But I'm still in the hall.
It's not about losing your spark, it's about knowing what is of most interest at what time. It doesn't go away. If you were a true fan of something you will always come back for more. I don't mean come to this site specificaly, i mean even just having fond memories is warrented enough.

So don't feel guilty about wandering off for a bit, because NiGHTS is quite different and it doesn't let you wander too far, lol. Don't I know that one's true e_O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users