Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What would you want in a new NiGHTS game?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
So what would you want? I would personally want to return to the same format as NiD. JoD changed way too much. New dreamers for sure. Save any cutscenes for at the beginning and at the end of the game. Also, I would want no dialogue whatsoever. Dialogue is what ruined JoD. If I think of more, I'll post it. So what would you guys want?

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
I want one of the kids to be either in a wheelchair or to be terminally ill. If they were ill, we could see NiGHTS watching them through their hospital window at the end; that would definitely bring a tear to my eye. The game's moral theme could be overcoming adversity. A crippled child learning that he can walk in Nightopia would be heartwrenching, too.

Secondly, I want Reala to be PURE EVIL, and to try to tempt the children in both the Waking and Night Dimensions.

Also, Jackle plz thx.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
Actually, I want another Remake for the DS. I mean, Come on! The graphics of the Original look like they'd work on the DS, Plus, It would have All the Features of the PS2 remake, But More things from Christmas NiGHTS. (Sonic into Dreams, Karaoke, Music Mode, Etc.) Plus, Music that sounds like the soundtrack! That's my dream.
(& mebeh Levels from JOD but using NiD's Gameplay)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Gameplay wise, I would want a mix of NiD and X-Mas NiD, the way a sequel should have gone; link missions, time attack, time based secrets. JoD added boss attack (kinda) which is cool, and I like the bonus points w/acrobatics. Those things should remain. Rewarding high links with a time bonus is cool too, but only if it can work with the old score attack system. I had an idea where you gradually have to make bigger links to obtain a bonus, this way you can still run out of time but skilled players will still last a lot longer.

Otherwise some more original dreamers would be nice, Helen and Will were pretty cookie-cutter. Cut scenes should be done in 2D animation that looks like the storybook. And maybe just have text, or dialogue read by a narrator, like X-mas NiD's intro.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Yeah, some dreamers that aren't so stiff and corny would be nice.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I want Christmas NiGHTS's bonuses applied to all of NiD, and the ability to just fight a boss.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
1 word:
KISS

No highly-detailed story, no dramaticly different characters. Just some good ol' fashion NiGHTS Into Dreams-esque gameplay.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

1 word:
KISS

When I first read that, I immediately thought of Gene Simmons. :lol:

I can see Reala in the make up, though! :)

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Knew someone would, lol.

ENiGMA

ENiGMA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
Id think it be cool for a Christmas addition of Journey of Dreams which allows you to play as Sonic, themes depending on what day it is and maybe a Sonic game demo.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Personally, I think the formatting needs to stay the same, but just different dreams and some new dreamers that are at least close to as interesting as Claris and Elliot.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

[...]and some new dreamers that are at least close to as interesting as Claris and Elliot.

It's interesting that you should say that, since Claris and Elliot's personalities are incredibly basic. We know he likes basketball and she likes to sing. That's it. I think that that stands as a sign of how NiD is so great that we can become interested and emotionally attactched to people with very little direct personifications.

Random thought over. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic. :)

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
Well if you look through the dreams and think over what different things in their dreams mean, they're a lot more complex than what the cutscenes show you. Anyway, I'd also like both of the online multiplayer things that were in JoD, but only have both instead of just the racing. Also, have the physics actually work in the racing. As for the battling, I'd like to go back to what NiD had for battling Reala instead of what JoD had. It makes more sense.

Key-Chan

Key-Chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Rare Items, Metal Gear Solid, Sonic the Hedgehog
Gameplay wise I would really love to see like some expanded dreams that are not obligated by time limits, for instance you have the exploration fields and certain places to trigger missions like a small landmark to go to the mission and have the rest for for online play in a separate part at the Dream Gate, like a small island you can't get to till you beat the first stage and solo dreams at the Dream Gate

EternalFluffy

EternalFluffy

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:writing, playing games, reading manga, weirdo dance-acting, lurking online...
I'm one of those weirdo-crazy people who actually still wants cutscenes. They're fun. C'mon, now, everyone loves poking fun at them. XD Just goes to show that you can't please everyone (unfortunately).

What I most want is a revamp of the My Dream system. Like, move the traditional A-Life functions (like mepians, music changes, exc.) back into the levels, and make My Dream more Chao-garden-ish. (I just miss the Chao gardens so much). I would also like a greater ability for customization. It's cool on one hand to see your My Dream evolve on its own, but it gets very annoying sometimes when you get something you don't really want (for instance, a giant crevice of doom) and have no way of actively changing it. And there are too many Pians. I want less Pians, more Pian-interactions. I'm normally very caring when it comes to my digital creatures, but my Pians were breeding so fast and dying so fast that I ended up throwing them around and letting half of them die, which I know is something I wouldn't dream of doing to my chao.

Oh, and Nightmare. I want Nightmare! JoD's box promised we'd get to play "both in Nightopia and the dark world of Nightmare." Where's the Nightmare?! False advertising... :P;

And there's probably a lot more, but I can't think of it at the moment. Wow, I make long posts. And it's late. ^^;

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
Jackle without them killing him off, and give him a major role for goodness sake! Also, Selph would be a nicely added bonus. :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

I'm one of those weirdo-crazy people who actually still wants cutscenes. They're fun. C'mon, now, everyone loves poking fun at them. XD Just goes to show that you can't please everyone (unfortunately).

I'm fine with cut scenes, the ones in Sonic Unleashed (PS360 version) are amazing. Just not the way they came out in JoD, all graphically terrible and such.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
I want decent Dreamer gameplay. Like, big epic platforming stages, making use of the trippyness of dreams and throwing physics and sh!t out the window. Make it bouncy and colourful, all in the quest to free NiGHTS from the Capture. And dreamer customization. And really amazing 360 graphics.

Then bring on some rocking score attacking classic NiGHTS stuffz.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Big dayglow super sparkly neon INYERFACE 5million TRICKRIBBON OF GLEE. Plz. Someone. in 360 graphics.

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
NiGHTS mmorpg, make your own maren/dreamer.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I want to build upon this idea. I too think a custom dreamer mechanic would be interesting. It would make the player have their own adventure with NiGHTS instead of controlling a dull bland dreamer like Helen or something.
The only problem with this is though, i think NiGHTS as a series would have to have a few more games under it's belt before it could attempt something like this. But i would like to see it.

And although i don't actually mind the voice acting in the game, i'd go with having no voices for the next one. Or maybe an option to either use the voices or just have text on the screen instead. Cutscenes are fine, i enjoy them so no beef there.

And finally, i agree. JoD's gameplay changed too much from what made NiD amazing. The reason you don't see people playing JoD to get higher scores is because it feels fake. You're not actually getting highscores in the way NiD would let you and that's what made NiD competitive and replayable. Websites like ScoreAttack.net put people against each other to get higher scores on NiD. In JoD you're forced to chase the birds and get the keys, not even allowed to do multiple laps if you do get the key on a mare. And that really did annoy me.

So, in a nutshell, a custom dreamer option so all of us can have our own experience in a NiGHTS story, the option to choose between voice and/or text during cutscenes and a revert back to the old level style. Chasing birds is not fun. It really isn't.

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
On the top of my list are these (no particular order):

1. The return of Jackle. Never played NiD and I want to see him darn it!

2. The ability to play as Reala outside of versus mode. Seriously, how awesome would it be to do that? Sure, he's on the 'evil' side, but who cares? Anyone want to see what things are like on his end? Or at least cause some mischief? I'm asking because I want to know more about the guy who pops in, fights (sometimes), then retreats... @_@

3. More exploration as the Visitors. Come on! It's fun! I want to find an elevator and walk on clouds. Is that so much to ask? ...Maybe. >.>

4. Teamed-up bosses. (Not really a want, more like an interesting thing to think on.) Here's the thing: During a boss fight, there's two bosses fighting you. Like Puffy and Donbalon trying to off you. Weird, but it might work. Recommended for "rematches" as in...let's say you beat the game and go to fight one of the normal bosses again. This time you'll have the chance to fight a teamed-up duo as well as the singular boss. Choose one and go.

5. Jackle in versus mode. You hear me?! Jackle! He's like the third sibling. Don't leave him out. T_T

6. Have the girl like sports and the boy like music...or something. Volleyball and piano, just toss things up a bit.

7. An on-foot mission where you play a game with the Nightopians. Because they're basically kids (the Pians) it could be tag or hide n' seek or something.

8. On Halloween, you should skin swap with Jackle. (Never played NiD, but darned it we need more of him since he was absent from JoD.)

9. Bring back Reala Day. T_T

10. Instead of Dream Drops, Tarot Cards. Jackle's dropped them everywhere. Find them, and he's open in versus mode. @_@

11. Nightopians randomly sing "Dreams Dreams" in the levels. Never really checked myself, but...

12. NiGHTS shouldn't be so close to the Door in the Nightopias. Put him/her out farther so you have to run to him/her...or take up a pair of skates or something...

Meh. All I got for now. Really would like to see Jackle again...erm, for the first time. Sorry, I've seen NiD vids. We need him back. @_@

Edit: Oooo... Yes. Custom Dreamer option... @_@ Somehow Dark Cloud 2 comes to mind where you could change which clothes the protagonists wore. Pumpkin Shorts for you, a Two Tone Hat for you... No! No overalls!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Very well put, DiGi. I think that NiGHTS, while still a cult classic, is recogniseable. More games just to build up to dreamer customisation would be fluff.

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
@Digi Valentine: Actually, I was thinking about a NiGHTS mmorpg where the dreamer discovers that they are a maren for the story line, maybe even choosing between being good, evil, and/or neutural, or something like that.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
While interesting, that wouldn't feel like a NiGHTS game to me. I mean, it's gotta have NiGHTS! And if the dreamers are the maren, they wouldn't need NiGHTS to help them. Unless NiGHTS follows you around the whole game like the other NiGHTS at the Wizeman fights. :lol: That would be...different.

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
...Good point... I'll stick with Digi's idea until I can think of something else.

Twilight

Twilight

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Obviously I like NiGHTS, but I also adore Sonic the Hedgehog, Klonoa, Pokemon, and more. I like philosophy, psychology, all those weird sort of things. :P
I would like a bit more focus on NiGHTS and Reala's story, and a little more differences between children. Sure, it's been twice, but seeing something new would be more interesting. :P Maybe a kid with school problems and stress of their parents never being around and always dealing with bullies or his family going away one-by-one? Or even a terminally ill child for the Marens to tempt and work with.

As for the Marens themselves, I really would like a little more light shed on them. Like how much do NiGHTS and Reala still care about each other, if at all? Or why Wizeman would rather
Spoiler
? Is it sympathy, or taht he's running out of creative juice?

Meh, that's just me. I like my games for their stories. It's what gets me hooked. :D

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Or why Wizeman would rather

Spoiler
?

I've said it before in the "JoD Mysteries and Theories" topic but...

Spoiler
Savvy?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Thought: If we got another game it'd be a good opportunity to show some backstory; seeing NiGHTS in action as a pure Nightmaren, showing how he gradually decided to turn against Wizeman. I still feel like the sequence in ''Beyond the Window" would be a perfect vignette to show how NiGHTS began to perhaps have sympathy for dreamers, which would lead to his not wanting to follow Wizeman anymore.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Trick ribbons, dreamers with bigger issues (I can sympathize with Will but Helen really didn't need to go on a journey to realize she needed to hang with her mom more), Jackle, and purely analog + dpad control.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

As for the Marens themselves, I really would like a little more light shed on them. Like how much do NiGHTS and Reala still care about each other, if at all? Or why Wizeman would rather

Spoiler
? Is it sympathy, or taht he's running out of creative juice?

Spoiler

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Thought: If we got another game it'd be a good opportunity to show some backstory; seeing NiGHTS in action as a pure Nightmaren, showing how he gradually decided to turn against Wizeman.

Oooh now that would be cool, seeing NiGHTS and Wizeman being all badass and ruining kids dreams together.

Twilight

Twilight

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Obviously I like NiGHTS, but I also adore Sonic the Hedgehog, Klonoa, Pokemon, and more. I like philosophy, psychology, all those weird sort of things. :P

Spoiler

That does make some sense...
Spoiler
Eh, just a guess... :S

SmashQueen

SmashQueen

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

That does make some sense...

Spoiler
Eh, just a guess... :S

Spoiler

And about what Noctourne Wonderland said...
Spoiler

Spoiler

Jeez...now I'm suddenly wanting to know exactly what makes First-Levels so special (besides being humanoid).

Mr.Me

Mr.Me

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Interests:Most sega games, older games (N64 and back), music, internet. . .something else. . .
1. wow, Helen is still unloved by us xp

back on topic, i keep hearing about how badly the ideas for the dreamers are, so why not make you the dreamer, a.k.a project natal.
. . .crap, i just lost where i was going with this. curse the Wii for typing things too slow
anyone who has tryed typing on this thing knows how annoying it is

Twilight

Twilight

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Spoiler

And about what Noctourne Wonderland said...
Spoiler

Spoiler

Jeez...now I'm suddenly wanting to know exactly what makes First-Levels so special (besides being humanoid).

Eh, I dunno. I was just trying to think of something that made sense. I didn't believe the last one too much, but in a sense, it can make sense if you look hard enough. I would just think that
Spoiler
Again, just a guess.

NOTiC

NOTiC

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:I am one who absolutely loves dreaming. It is something people do all the time but don't notice. Without dreams I'd have less life than the little I do have now ;p but yea, I'm a humorous person and I am greatly into all forms of comedy. I'll embrace anyone who wants to be a lovely internet companion of mine and YOU are automatically my friend if you had the audacity to read this whole thing.

1 word:
KISS

No highly-detailed story, no dramaticly different characters. Just some good ol' fashion NiGHTS Into Dreams-esque gameplay.

this

and just more varied settings (castles, carnivals, etc.) and night-time levels
i'd like sega to return to their original style and away from their attempt at disney proportioned theatrics

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
all the black lines o____o spoiler tag overlooooooad

I just think it should stick to being simple, catchy, and time consuming :3

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Thought: Guys, we know how JoD duplicated Twin Seeds for Bellbridge, and I gather the consensus among us was that it was the most appropriate choice. Now then, if we got more NiGHTS games, would we want this motif to keep repeating, having a variation of "Growing Wings", having it reflect the dreamer's real world? The pro is, I can't see any better way for a last level to go, but then there's the danger of the repeating motif becoming tedious, having the same thing every time. What do you guys think?

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
The general feeling that I've gotten from people who dislike JoD is that it's too different from the original, and they'd rather have something more along the lines of the Japanese NiD remake. I don't think that having the same sort of ending would be a problem.

Conversely, a trip through a terrifying nightmare would be a perfect tension-builder before Wizeman's reveal, rather than the final party in Nightopia that we see in the cities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users