Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NiGHTS mmorpg

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Poll: NiGHTS mmorpg (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes No Maybe Bob

1. Yes (9 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Maybe (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote

LUCiD

LUCiD

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, NiGHTS, (of course), video games, surfing the web, Disney, animals, music, etc...
I was just looking at a new digimon mmorpg coming out and wondered if a NiGHTS mmorpg would be possible. I'd like to hear some ideas also on how this could work, just no flamming each other.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
I ask that you elaborate a bit more when you design these polls... (add some of your own thoughts and input rather than making everyone else put the effort into a discussion)
And also, I took out one of your voting options as it was relatively unnecessary. I realize we all strive to put some humor into day to day posting, but it would distract too much from any potentially insightful response.

For one, I thought maybe we had a NiGHTS MMORPG related subject already. If we did, I cannot locate it at the moment..

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
I remember, a NiGHTS mmorpg was in the works when I joined, never went far though, like most of the NiGHTS fan games, I'd like to meet the person who could actually keep there word about making a fan game, that would be the day. :rolleyes:

but yes, I voted yes.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Honestly I don't see how a NiGHTS MMORPG would work. I think NiGHTS's universe is better suited for single-player games.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Yeah, NiGHTS just isn't MMO material. What would everyone be, boring powerless dreamers? PIANS!?
Surely not everyone could be NiGHTS/Reala. And part of the point of the games is that the dreamers where somehow special people. If there are thousands of other dreamers doing the exact same thing, it isn't all that special.

Also I have trouble imagining how someone could make a NiGHTS game last hundreds of hours. Grinding is just unnecessary to NiGHTS!

Nix Entente

Nix Entente

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Well, as I'm not experienced with MMOs, I guess I have no real say in this, but I could definitely see a NiD version happening, if someone driven got behind it. I don't know if I'd play, but...

I think that you could set up a character choosing from however many races the creator set up [Nightmaren, Nightopians, Humans, et cetera] and then essentially roll for stats. The stats would determine how you function in the dream world. You could have your basic stuff like agility, strength, endurance--but then you could also have things for dreamers like lucidity, deep sleep time, and self-awareness. They could all be things that increase your ability to control and alter the dreamscape. And of course, with time spent playing the game and interacting with others, you can increase your stats.

As a dreamcreature, you could have a particular dream aspect that is your strength--anything from disorientation to manufacturing a sense of touch to even working with a particular symbolic color. There are a lot of ways you could go with this.

This way, you could have a game with foci on the numbers for numbernerds and the characters for the characternerds. I think it would be pretty neato.

Not that I would play. But, I am putting a 'yes' for my vote.

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
Maybe if you can make Your own dreamer, And a Nightmaren to dualize with, then yes. And you could have a place like a My Dream that other people could Visit, and You could go to Nightopias and challenge other dreamers.

Masterweaver

Masterweaver

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
See, I think the problem is that we're so conditioned by WoW for a "fight and grind" MMORPG that we forget there are other kind of RPGs out there. The central plot should be simple, short, and sweet, maybe even being covered in the tutorial. If we then allow for the players to be able to make their own Nightopian realms and minimissions (although they would be called "dreamscapes" and, um, "Daydreams?"), then we have the potential for a great game. Maybe we could also have each player as a Dreamer to start out with, but they could collect Nightmaren companions and Nightopian, well, "pokemon" as they went along.

Also, perhaps we should have it be one-player (sort of) but with the ability to join others in Multiplayer "daydreams" and virtual chatrooms (Dreamhubs?). And if we eliminate the concept of levels, instead going for pure experience and stats, then we don't have to have "ZOMG I IS LVL 29 LOL!!!" all the time, and the game would be more relaxing.

Just my five dollars. I say yes, this would work, but only if it isn't a grind-level game.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
I voted no, mainly because mmorpgs bore me. The only one I've liked was Disney's Virtual Magic Kingdom, but I found out about it too late to get any of the cooler items that i wanted. Plus, I have a bad history of frends becoming hopelessly addcted to mmorpgs, lke howI acually was once forced to refer to a frend my his online name. When I said anything with hs real name, I got a puzzled look and he would ask who "insert name here" was. :blink:

Now, personal issues asde, it could be done, but it would seriously affect the stroy. Everyone could be a Nightmaren fighting NiGHTS, or a Nightopian doing....Nightopian things. I like Nix's idea, but if every Nightmaren decided to fight Wizeman, it would not reflect well on the creative abilities of the ruler of Nightmare. The "Pokemon" idea is good, but why on would dreamers want to have evil monsters that are created to destroy them?

Masterweaver

Masterweaver

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Point. But in practice, they'd probably be NiGHTS expies, so the gamers would be happy.... and Wizeman seems oppressive, so we could say ingame that they're "running from Wizeman" and that "Dreamers can somehow protect them". Maybe with those blue sphere things, what were they called...? Anyway, amount of spheres determines amount of Nightmaren and/or power of Nightmaren.

I was thinking that the players made their companion Nightmaren as well as the Dreamers.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Point. But in practice, they'd probably be NiGHTS expies, so the gamers would be happy.... and Wizeman seems oppressive, so we could say ingame that they're "running from Wizeman" and that "Dreamers can somehow protect them". Maybe with those blue sphere things, what were they called...? Anyway, amount of spheres determines amount of Nightmaren and/or power of Nightmaren.

I was thinking that the players made their companion Nightmaren as well as the Dreamers.

They're blue chips. You were close. :blink:

I still have a problem with a maren revolution. Wizeman creates the maren- can't he control their minds? Now, if the game had 2 teams, Nightmaren and Nightopian that players could choose, that would be interesting.

On the Nightopian side, you create a dreamer who has a personal Nightopian. By completeing goals given to you by NiGHTS and Owl, you can level up you Pian to become a Superpian and decorate your My Dream-esque Nightopia. Blue Chips are a form of currency used to buy costumes, items, and My Dream Decorations. Owl's miniquests (I liked the idea of calling them "Daydreams") can earn you blue chips, While the NiGHTS led dreams have the ulitmate goal of aquiring Ideya. The more Ideya you collect, the larger your My Dream can become. Once you have all five idea, you can enter Nightmare, and try new quests to defeat the Nightmaren bosses. When the bosses are defeated, you are allowed to enter Bellbridge/Twin Seeds and battle players on the Nightmaren side and buy new items and decorations. The largest overworld area is the Dream Gate, where the Nightopia levels, My Dreams, and Shops are accessed, and the Nightopias have smaller villages.

As a Nightmaren, you can create a subject of Wizeman. Starting out as a minion, you have to level up and grow to become a first level maren. Instead of My Dream, you have a similar area, just with more macabre, bizarre details. Rather than Daydreams and Dreams, you have Jackle's Nightamres and Reala's more difficult Night Terrors. For Jackle's quests, you have to enter Nightmare and steal Dream Drops. Dream Drops can be traded for weapons and items. In Reala's quests, you have to find dreamers from the original games in and battle them in your realm. If you're defeated, the dreamer gets your ideya, as mentioned above. If you win, however, you get their Ideya. Once all 5 Ideya are collected, you can enter the real world. Wizeman's throne room is the largest area.

Since this is an mmorpg, teamwork is vital, and many levels require 2 or more dreamers working together., especially on the Nightopian side.

Your thoughts?

Masterweaver

Masterweaver

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Actually, the blue spheres I was referring to are what I think you're calling "dream drops." And since NiGHTS rebelled, it seems other Maren might too... Whatev.

Anyways, I like the dichotomy of Nightmare versus Nightopia, but I think the Nightopians and Mepians should essentially be builders for hire, as neutral civilians. Also, blue chips should be a universal currency, applicable to both sides, although one side racks up more expenses in some areas then others.

Hmm... Also, I'm not sure having the real world be the final Nightmaren zone would be a good thing. The order should be Nightmare, Nightopia, Bellbridge, if only to unify the endings of the "central plot." And the dream gate should be a neutral area, where Nightmaren and Dreamers all intermingle. Perhaps an area where they can buy each other's wares?

Somehow we've got to make dreamers seem as interesting to play as Nightmaren. Most fans will go for the Maren side, even if it's evil... although the inherent evil might repulse enough to even out the numbers, plus Dreamers get NiGHTS (who everybody loves). Although that might make Dreamers seem like the Noob side...

Possible thought: The "base appearance" of a player model is based on a psyche test the player takes when making a character and we have them just manipulate the details like eye color, hair color, etc.That way we get plenty of unique dreamer faces and Maren hats. I personally wouldn't want to see loads of jester-tails wandering around because everybody is NiGHTS' second cousin (read stalker fan).

daru

daru

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:playing with my band called the sonics <br />i am trying to get my art back on track <br />and i am into video games
well here is my idea you know of final fantasy series right take the battle system from the game and the ability to have a party and the ability to level up and the random monsters but make it have nights people in it and since there are five Ideya crystals make them into the crystals of light there you go you have a NiGHTS mmorpg

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Sorry buddy, but 8 month old topics are old for a reason. Please try not to bump dead discussions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users