Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Which would you prefer? A Nights anime or a cartoon?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Mysticgamer

Mysticgamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I personally would like to see a American cartoon based on Nights than an anime. US cartoons...good US cartoons, tend to have episodes of random adventure that can take place anywhere, anytime without worrying to much about linear story telling. Some of the best examples I can think of are Tiny Toons, Tale Spin, Chip & Dale's Rescue Rangers, Freakazoid, GI Joe, Marshall Bravestarr, G1 Transformers. What would you prefer and why? Discuss.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I think there's a great variety within cartoons, and probably within anime as well, so it doesn't mean much to chose between anime and cartoon. Personally it doesn't matter to me whether they make an anime or a cartoon, or even a CG movie, as long as it is done well (interesting story, pretty art style, story faithful to the games...).

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Well, if it was supposed to be NiGHTS into Dreams it'd probably be a cartoon. If JoD, however, it would be anime.

NiD is more cartoonic, whereas JoD is a tad more realistic.

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
well, lately cartoons tend to be more animeish while anime tends to be more...cartoonish, in a sense... so there wont be much difference, but I dont see a plot so deep as NiGHTS as a bugs bunny-like cartoon, it ould have the same bizarreness, but not the same black humor, and not plot at all

anyho, I would be satisfied even with just a 30 min. OVA, something like the Werehog movie, that movie made me laugh so hard, and the characters didnt had to say a single word lol

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Well, NiGHTS was created by Japanese people, so anime might be more natural to it.. but, an animated version of the storybook done in a similar style might be hella awesome. Like, a watercolor looking animation where every frame is like a painting. (There have been other animations done in this style, but regrettably I can't recall specific ones at the moment. Though Beyond the Window is still a great example of what a NiGHTS animation could be like - http://www.nightsint...d/thewindow.htm )

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
A cartoon style for the script and everything itself might be better, because most of the animes I've seen are too serious or too silly, and NiGHTS needs a blend of both. U.S. cartoons do that better, I think. But the drawing style could be either one, anime or U.S. cartoon style, I wouldn't care as long as it looked good.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
It all depends on the tone.

If it's light hearted and just about NiGHTS's crazy adventures in Nightopia, a cartoon in the vein of Warner Brothers, Animaniacs (Is that redundant?), Tiny Toon, et cetera would be perfect. This concept could be fun, with Nightopia being a surreal, fun "Wackyland" type place.

In the middle we have a cartoon/anime (it doesn't matter much to me) like "Hoshii no Kaabii," or "Kirby of the Stars." This is a GREAT anime about Kirby, which has many parallels with NiGHTS. This is the topic of an article I plan to write, but in short-

1. They both take place in the land of dream
2. They both have to save the world from a Nightmare monster
3. Said Nightmare monster has some plot to stop the cute inhabitants of the main characters home from making good dreams
4. They both have an evil couterpart that looks somewhat like them
5. Being dream-like creatures, they have incredible powers to become that with which they come into contact, to an extent.
6. They're both forced to fight the Nightmare creature's minions
Spoiler

So, as you ccan see, a Kirby-style NiGHTS anime would be fun. For those who don't know, Hoshi no Kaabii has the basic plot of Kirby training to fight Nightmare, while King Dedede send horrible nightmare monsters to fight him. Also, there are digressions for Kirby and his friends to explore. Sonds very NiGHTS-y to me!

Finally, we have the very serious anime, that seems too sturm-und-drang for NiGHTS. An action oriented NiGHTS would be best in anime, but I can't explain why I think so...

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.

There have been other animations done in this style, but regrettably I can't recall specific ones at the moment.

The Snowman! :blink: i'm flying through the aiiiiiiiiir!

-bret-

-bret-

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Western style animation, please. With a western animation you'd get episodes that are actually about dreams. I can't help but feel like an anime would just be about Reala being over 9000.

Japanese writers have a tendency to stray from the roots of a show, dragging on a tired sequence of events until the show doesn't at all resemble what it started out as. Western writers usually take a premise and setting and write individual episodes based on that. After each episode they go back to square one, so the overall story arch doesn't become an aimless mess. Each individual episode would have a point.

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Yeah, I can see the Kirby/NiGHTS resemblance.

But really, I would just like a good-ol'-fashioned, hand-drawn NiGHTS cartoon/anime with wacky bgs and one or two 2-Part episodes. In short, a NiGHTS cartoon similar to that of Sonic SatAM or AoStH. You know, serious at times, but really wacky and hare-brained most of the time. And of course, NiGHTS isn't 100% good, so I can see him causing quite a bit of mischief.

You know, like Peter Pan.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I would rather no type of media deal with NiGHTS. After what Archie did I have never trusted anyone other than SEGA to handle NiGHTS, and here lately I've been losing trust with them after all the idiotic things they've been doing.

Ryan Frandsen

Ryan Frandsen

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Almost any SEGA series (including NiGHTS of course), Good movies, musical theatre, video games, writing, and I want to make a NiGHTS musical soon. I also enjoy doing stuff online with my Wii. My NiGHTS code is:<br /><br />5156-1607-4828
I think that NiGHTS should have a CGI movie with great visuals, story, and I think it should be a musical with Dreams Dreams included of course. Since it's getting popular again maybe the NiGHTS movie should be a 3D film to make it even more fun.

RachelF19

RachelF19

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Video games, Ty beanie babies,Music, Singing,Karate, The Nightmare Before Christmas. My two favorite holidays are Halloween and Christmas.

I think that NiGHTS should have a CGI movie with great visuals, story, and I think it should be a musical with Dreams Dreams included of course. Since it's getting popular again maybe the NiGHTS movie should be a 3D film to make it even more fun.

CGI would be the best and only way to pull off a Nights TV show or Movie. no DUHHHH.

Key-Chan

Key-Chan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Rare Items, Metal Gear Solid, Sonic the Hedgehog
but if they did make a NiGHTS cartoon/anime theres that tiny little problem simply know as 4Kids, because really theres a 95% chance that Sonic Team would give it to 4Kids for english dubs and to screw up the orginal diolouge.

Storywise I would like to see it something that a kid could watch but it still treats the fans in a adult matter you know kinda like the 80's Don Bluth films and blend the seriousnes with some comedy here and there.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

but if they did make a NiGHTS cartoon/anime theres that tiny little problem simply know as 4Kids, because really theres a 95% chance that Sonic Team would give it to 4Kids for english dubs and to screw up the orginal diolouge.

Storywise I would like to see it something that a kid could watch but it still treats the fans in a adult matter you know kinda like the 80's Don Bluth films and blend the seriousnes with some comedy here and there.

The Don Bluth Outlook on Animation: If it has a happy ending, kids can take anything.

The 4Kids Outlook on Animaton: What?! Someone dropped a cake?! CENSOR IT!

Despite my problems with the Secret of NMH (It's took different from the book for my tastes), it's still good no matter how old you are. Kirby Right Back at Ya, though, is too condescending. The censored a snowman melting. :lol:

Ryan Frandsen

Ryan Frandsen

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Almost any SEGA series (including NiGHTS of course), Good movies, musical theatre, video games, writing, and I want to make a NiGHTS musical soon. I also enjoy doing stuff online with my Wii. My NiGHTS code is:<br /><br />5156-1607-4828
I want to be a film/TV writer someday and if I ever do get that career I will NOT work with 4Kids. I gotta admit, they really do make our favorite stuff all kid friendly and bad. If I ever make NiGHTS into a movie I'll make it an all ages film NOT just a kid film.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
To be fair 4Kids did a good job with TMNT. The trick is to just keep them as far away from pre-existing shows as possible. Also I kind of liked "Kirby Right Back At Ya", it was fun in a stupid way. And I doubt the original Japanese version is some breathtaking intellectual masterpiece full of emotional depth?

But Don Bluth is still a billion times cooler.

Wasn't this topic originally about NiGHTS? ANYWAY I would vote against CGI NiGHTS mostly because pretty much all CGI movies that were not made by Pixar have been terrible. And I like hand-drawn aesthetics. (Although I would be ok with 2D computer-based animation.)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Actually, now that SEGA have their own CGI studio, I think it would be a good idea to have them make a NiGHTS CGI movie. It would be the same quality as the CG cutscenes in JoD. I think VE Animation Studio did a really good job with Night of the Werehog, though making a full-length movie would obviously be more difficult.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

To be fair 4Kids did a good job with TMNT. The trick is to just keep them as far away from pre-existing shows as possible. Also I kind of liked "Kirby Right Back At Ya", it was fun in a stupid way. And I doubt the original Japanese version is some breathtaking intellectual masterpiece full of emotional depth?

But Don Bluth is still a billion times cooler.

Wasn't this topic originally about NiGHTS? ANYWAY I would vote against CGI NiGHTS mostly because pretty much all CGI movies that were not made by Pixar have been terrible. And I like hand-drawn aesthetics. (Although I would be ok with 2D computer-based animation.)

Kirby of the Stars isn't Final Fantasy, but it does have depth. For example, Dedede in the original isn't really a villain; he just wants Kirby to stop stealing his spotlight. Nightmare is the true enemy, and he has a dubious motive that dare not say without spoilng things. 4Kids, however, made Dedede a villian, and Nightmare s not that evl-evl, he's just Dedede's enabler for most of the seres. Plus, they randomly switched names and gave various characters really goofy accents.

Actually, now that SEGA have their own CGI studio, I think it would be a good idea to have them make a NiGHTS CGI movie. It would be the same quality as the CG cutscenes in JoD. I think VE Animation Studio did a really good job with Night of the Werehog, though making a full-length movie would obviously be more difficult.

I'd be happy if they just decided to string together the JoD cutscenes and release it theatrically. They'd have to make new segments representing boss fights, but otherwise, the movie has already been made.

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
A CGI NiGHTS would be beautiful. I'd be completely entranced to watch something full-length (even half an hour long) if it was the same quality as the opening cutscenes were. The 3-D effects would help capture NiGHTTOPiA in a way that 2-D could just never do...

And, of course, I'm agreeing with all of the 4Kids dub comments. Not ALL of 4Kids is terrible, agreed, but the probability of NiGHTS being ruined by it just seems a little too high.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?

It all depends on the tone.

If it's light hearted and just about NiGHTS's crazy adventures in Nightopia, a cartoon in the vein of Warner Brothers, Animaniacs (Is that redundant?), Tiny Toon, et cetera would be perfect. This concept could be fun, with Nightopia being a surreal, fun "Wackyland" type place.

In the middle we have a cartoon/anime (it doesn't matter much to me) like "Hoshii no Kaabii," or "Kirby of the Stars." This is a GREAT anime about Kirby, which has many parallels with NiGHTS. This is the topic of an article I plan to write, but in short-

1. They both take place in the land of dream
2. They both have to save the world from a Nightmare monster
3. Said Nightmare monster has some plot to stop the cute inhabitants of the main characters home from making good dreams
4. They both have an evil couterpart that looks somewhat like them
5. Being dream-like creatures, they have incredible powers to become that with which they come into contact, to an extent.
6. They're both forced to fight the Nightmare creature's minions

Spoiler

So, as you ccan see, a Kirby-style NiGHTS anime would be fun. For those who don't know, Hoshi no Kaabii has the basic plot of Kirby training to fight Nightmare, while King Dedede send horrible nightmare monsters to fight him. Also, there are digressions for Kirby and his friends to explore. Sonds very NiGHTS-y to me!

Finally, we have the very serious anime, that seems too sturm-und-drang for NiGHTS. An action oriented NiGHTS would be best in anime, but I can't explain why I think so...

Frickin' LOVED the Kirby anime.

Dreams

Dreams

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:Это тебя не касается. Убирайся.
Ughh...

A cartoon, but nicely done. I wouldn't want to see NiGHTS ruined by either the stereotypical anime style, or the hokey midafternoon Cartoon Network show style, even though I love both in their own element. When you look at the character designs, they are clearly neither. Although the games are CG, I don't understand why everything has to be done in CG these days. Even though it's come a long way in a short time, I don't find it to be the answer to all animations, nor do I think it's superior to well-done 2D. CG will always lack the bit of life that handdrawn lines put into things, including computer-aided 2D (like some of the shows made in Flash these days, where characters just slide across the screen, etc).

So... I'd most definitely prefer a 2D cartoon. But nicely done - something that has quality animation, is rich to the eye, and follows a semi-serious storyline that leaves room for wit/humor.

Honestly, I would give my left leg if Nepenthe Productions could come back and create anything, especially a NiGHTS cartoon, because I know it would be beautiful. They're responsible for the animation in Watership Down and Plague Dogs.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
It would be interesting to see what Don Bluth would do to NiGHTS. For anyone unfamiliar with Bluth, he was a Disney animator who left to form his own studio, making movies like "The Secret of NIMH" and "Anastasia." Especially in NIMH, Bluth seemed to have the idea that kids could take anything as long as there's a happy ending, so many of his earlier films can be rather dark. The ability to balance serious, frightening situations and lighthearted commedy, all with beautiful backgrounds, could be a new, interesting approach to NiGHTS. Nightmare would have the ability to be truly scary, Nightopia would relieve the tension, and it would all be a very good movie.

KENOSiS

KENOSiS

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
anime fo'sho
I can't stand watching cartoons D:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users