Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing

• Please log in to reply
1166 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

I am jealous DiGi! :[

You got to stay in a Sonic the Hedgehog 4 room.

lol, if only. No, the lucky person who got to stay in the room was Dreadknux (from Sonic Stadium). I just got to visit the room for 5 minutes.

...there needs to be a NiGHTS room. Oh, like you didn't see me about to say that anyway.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
I want to play against DiGi very badly...
My PS3 suffered an error that spells death for it so it's done... I'm contemplating wether I should get it on the 360... if I do you guy's better make it worth my while...
I want to get beaten to a pulp!
Downloading the demo that I didn't know became avaliable for none gold members...

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Just played a few races and I honestly believe that this is the best kart racing game I've ever played. I'm literally speechless. It's definitely a game that I must own.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Best karting game I've ever played too! Infact general best racing game I've played, since i can actually CONTROL the damn thing and enjoy the race rather than dicking about with a bunch of controls i dont care about unless i drive a real car and can actually understand them.

Love this little game so much.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Played the PS3 demo last night, the controls are nice and tight and Super Sonic kicks ass. We MUST get NiGHTS playable in this, it is the ultimate shame if he isn't. Dammit though we need a course too, in the long run. The game is incomplete without one!

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Played the demo... I got 1st for the first time by my 4th race... my second race I got 7th... it was awful... got hit by 5 different Specials...
I still have yet to get the chance to use one...
Either way it's obvious I need to get better at this game before I'm going to stand a chance against anyone...
However, I do find the game to be quite solid... Doesn't feel like a Mario Kart clone for some reason...
Fast paced, exceptional NPC difficulty, and I want that announcer DEAD!
I almost flipped when I saw NiGHTS with that checkered flag... It's great!
Now if we can just get her as DLC...
I know Sonic's suited for good all around stats for the starting player... but it seems odd for him to have such a low top speed...
Especially compared to Banjo of all people!?

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
Speaking of the Wii, has anyone said the DS demo download has been avalable since monday? Well it has. No sign of NiGHTS though, but I was impressed by how smoothly the game ran.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Sonic and Sega, everything music, turtles, and all things geeky.
Anybody else notice when flipping through all the playable tracks, that pretty much all of the Sonic tracks are based off of or come from Sonic Heroes? Why does Sega love that game so much? I mean in Winter Olympics and Superstars Tennis, there are many Heroes courses/courts, and they used Heroes sound effects on the Sonic 4 site (and in the actual game if you guys saw the leaked video).

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Anybody else notice when flipping through all the playable tracks, that pretty much all of the Sonic tracks are based off of or come from Sonic Heroes? Why does Sega love that game so much? I mean in Winter Olympics and Superstars Tennis, there are many Heroes courses/courts, and they used Heroes sound effects on the Sonic 4 site (and in the actual game if you guys saw the leaked video).

I can understand using the sound effects (it's easy), but the Sonic Heroes race courses are an odd choice. They do lend themselves to paths moreso than the tradition Green Hill Zone, which had a lot of hills.

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I can understand using the sound effects (it's easy), but the Sonic Heroes race courses are an odd choice. They do lend themselves to paths moreso than the tradition Green Hill Zone, which had a lot of hills.

Yeah, I'm not really annoyed with the sound effects, but it's just they could have had a better choice in stages. For example, I would have loved a Radical Highway themed track, or maybe an Ice Cap (SA1) one. There were so many choices, and they only looked at Sonic Heroes stages.

Kamui

Kamui

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Arting, cosplayin, Homestuck, Sonic and NiGHTS
I think they're using the Sonic Heroes based tracks because that's the game that introduced Sonic games to a lot of people who didn't have the chance to play the old games for whatever reason(didn't have the right system, didn't have enough money for a system/or game). I know, growing up, I never had the systems Sonic games came out on, I had to play the games at my cousin's house. I was finally able to play and keep Sonic Heroes when it came out on the PS2.

I think Sonic Heroes just has a good soundtrack and great places to draw inspiration from overall. Even though more people like Sonic Adventure(for some strange reason, lol), I find myself talking to them more about Sonic Heroes and laughing at all the memories. If we ever do talk about SA, its about the horrible voice acting. XD

Maybe these are the reasons Sonic Heroes stages and songs are used? ^ ^;

EDIT: There's a DS download for it? XD

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.
I played the demo version of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing and it was good. The controls were okay. I have it on Xbox 360. I have a question that I may ask. When NiGHTS become a playable DLC, can he/she be played offline after NiGHTS being downloaded?

sapphire

sapphire

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

I played the demo version of Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing and it was good. The controls were okay. I have it on Xbox 360. I have a question that I may ask. When NiGHTS become a playable DLC, can he/she be played offline after NiGHTS being downloaded?

Edit: I'm apologize for double the post by accident. I didn't mean it. I'm trying to find a way to delete this post but no luck. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

First off, NiGHTS is not confirmed for DLC yet, so we don't know if we'll be able to play as NiGHTS.

But I don't really get what you're asking about the DLC. Once you download content, you can use it online or offline. You just need Xbox Live to download it. It's not like you could ONLY race online as NiGHTS if s/he becomes DLC.

Shego13

Shego13

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Sonic, NiGHTS, and the other Sega francises.

First off, NiGHTS is not confirmed for DLC yet, so we don't know if we'll be able to play as NiGHTS.

But I don't really get what you're asking about the DLC. Once you download content, you can use it online or offline. You just need Xbox Live to download it. It's not like you could ONLY race online as NiGHTS if s/he becomes DLC.

I'm well-aware that NiGHTS isn't playable DLC yet, but I'm only asking if the downloaded content can be played offline. I have Xbox live alright indeed. More importantly, let's hope for the best. I've already sent mine to the destinated email address two weeks ago.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Just thought I'd mention that so far I've read two reviews on this game and both were favorable. As if we had any doubt.

Gamespot - 8.0
Games Radar - 8

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
IGN even gave it an 8.0. That never happens lol.

Level 99

Level 99

OMNIPOTENT GENIUS

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100,263 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Video Games, Music, Video Game Music, the gym, sleeping, good people, good food, funny things, horror movies, and ballroom dancing. Probably more, but that's a good list.
http://reviews.cnet....ooie (Xbox 360)

Some quotes jump out:

"The House of the Dead tracks are delightfully creepy, and the races through the brightly colored world of Samba De Amigo are a trip, but it would have been more interesting to have a few more franchises thrown into the mix."

"Your favorite character may not have made the cut, but All-Stars is a lot of fun even if you're stuck with Billy Hatcher."

And the one you'd been waiting for...

"A whopping seven of them have been pulled from the well-worn Sonic universe, though some of the lesser known entrants could have easily been scrapped to allow a few more franchises to share the limelight. It makes sense that the lightning-fast blue hedgehog and his evil nemesis Dr. Eggman made the cut, but would anyone really have missed Amy or Big the Cat?"

I can't help but chuckle, and it does look like they made a very solid and fun game, despite any shortcomings that we could bring up. Notice that all-important word: SOLID. A game can be fun, but if it isn't solid, it won't be fun for very long. Good job, SUMO!

Edit: Looks like it's the same review as gamespot's. Sorry!

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
I enjoy Amy.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I already see a trend in the reviews. So far they all say the same thing: the game does absolutely nothing original for the genre but it's hard to care because it's so well made and fun anyway.

Beyond that it still makes my head hurt when I see comments getting all upset about Sonic being in a car. Really? These assholes honestly can't get over that?

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Beyond that it still makes my head hurt when I see comments getting all upset about Sonic being in a car. Really? These assholes honestly can't get over that?

Thats when I really start questioning them. I honestly expected reviews to talk about the Drift titles at some point. :/

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
Double post of epicness!

I SHOULD NOT BE HAVING THIS MUCH FUN WITH THIS GAME!!! @_@

It's brilliance.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
An article at Destructoid where they have a brief chat with Dan Gallardo, Associate Product Marketing Manager - here

It has been written in favor of NiGHTS. Highly in favor, it seems. The article writer (Hamza, i believe) brings up NiGHTS at the given opportunities.

Here's hoping SEGA really are taking all of NiGHTS' hype on board and make that DLC.

Anyways, apparently the game is at my house while i'm at work. Such a situation to be in. TRiPPY too. She's at home with the game and is not allowed to play it until i get in! HAHA!

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube
andthenandthen...

I challenge you to a race.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

An article at Destructoid where they have a brief chat with Dan Gallardo, Associate Product Marketing Manager - here

It has been written in favor of NiGHTS. Highly in favor, it seems. The article writer (Hamza, i believe) brings up NiGHTS at the given opportunities.

Here's hoping SEGA really are taking all of NiGHTS' hype on board and make that DLC.

Anyways, apparently the game is at my house while i'm at work. Such a situation to be in. TRiPPY too. She's at home with the game and is not allowed to play it until i get in! HAHA!

DiGi, if that article the single biggest tease of us getting what we wanted then I don't know what is. He practically confirmed it!

I asked Dan if we could possible see more characters down the line to which he replied “Who knows! It could be happening where later on down the road we throw them in their as DLC. “At the very least, Nights definitely needs to be a playable racer. Nights is actually in the game, but he’s only around in the very beginning of a race, waving the flag to signal the racers. If that’s not the ultimate tease, then I don’t know what is.

That's from the Associate Product Marketing Manager at SEGA!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
No nooo. That was the article writer. He put the speech-mark in the incorrect place. That speech mark is finishing the previous sentence.

I thought the same thing too and got all excited but alas no, it's just a missplaced speech-mark getting us twisted. XD;;

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
I tried the DS Demo, and I must say,
WOW!
Mario Kart < Allstars Racing
in my opinion...

I really loved the Seaside hill Remix.

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Awwwww ;( Got very excited there then. That sucks. Oh well, at least we know our plight is widely known.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yeh, i know. Got my hopes up too that did, Jof :P

On the plus side though, since DLC has been officially spoken about, NiGHTS is getting his face in peoples suggestions for DLC. Here's an AWESOME list from SegaNerds - DLC WishList

If SEGA take note of these kinds of lists then hopefully we'll get NiGHTS dlc. Every time i see one of these lists come up NiGHTS is always at the top.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
I'm sure we'll get it... we just need to keep pressing and never let up...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
I honestly think there is a good chance fans will get a lot of the DLC that's being demanded. The game is so well made on a mechanical and fundamental level I have a hard time seeing what a future sequel could bring to the table other more content which can be easily added to this game via DLC. Really that's all I think this game could use, more tracks and more characters.

Tracks could deifinitely use a bit more series variety. I think only five franchises are represented. As for characters, well, I think that list mentioned just about every character or franchise people want to see on the roster. They nailed almost every one I want to see. Just replace Keil Fluge with Orta (same series) and Centurion with Axel Stone from Streets of Rage and you pretty much have my personal wish list, minus Seaman of course.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Did I mention that I'm wildly excited for this game? This is the first time I can remember that anyone's considered a kart racer to be better than Mario Kart.

Bannipper

Bannipper

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Yeh, i know. Got my hopes up too that did, Jof :P

On the plus side though, since DLC has been officially spoken about, NiGHTS is getting his face in peoples suggestions for DLC. Here's an AWESOME list from SegaNerds - DLC WishList

If SEGA take note of these kinds of lists then hopefully we'll get NiGHTS dlc. Every time i see one of these lists come up NiGHTS is always at the top.

I was actually going to talk to you about that, DV (if you have the time anytime soon, then we can do so). Anyway, I played both the DS game and the 360 version, and I love both of them. I love both of them TO DEATH!! I can promise you this, doubters! If you buy this game, you won't be disappointed!

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
The game MIGHT have just shipped in today... but I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to take a look... (busy)
As for racers that were better than Mario Kart, I've always liked Jak X Racing better... but that's just me...

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Sega & Sonic All-Star Racing is out in stores this week and it’s packed full of Sega characters. Most of the characters are ones we haven’t seen in games in years now and while it’s great seeing characters from Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5, Shenmue and more again after so long, it also kind of feels like a slap to the face. Here are some beloved Sega characters thrown into a racing title but there’s still no word on a sequel to some of these popular Sega IPs.

Talking to Dan Gallardo, Associate Product Marketing Manager at SEGA, he assured me that this wasn’t a dick move on Sega’s part. Sega included these characters to “reinvigorate [these] special characters with everybody.” New games for some of some of these IPs could very well be in the works and what better way to remind people about these characters than by putting them all together in a simple racing title.

About 15 Sega characters are in the game, some you know and some you might not recognize if you didn’t grow up in the early days of Sega. So why is someone like Shinobi not a playable racer over say Alex Kidd? Sega would have loved to “get every single [Sega] character in [Sega & Sonic All-Star Racing], but that’s just impossible to do unless we had a five year development time.” Sega went with “characters that are really popular right now and the ones that we want to show people that hey, this is a great catalogue of Sega characters.” Dan goes on to say “in an ideal world, we’d love to throw in Nights, Shinobi, and everybody else into the pot but unfortunately, some of them had to get left out.”

I asked Dan if we could possible see more characters down the line to which he replied “Who knows! It could be happening where later on down the road we throw them in their as DLC. “At the very least, Nights definitely needs to be a playable racer. Nights is actually in the game, but he’s only around in the very beginning of a race, waving the flag to signal the racers. If that’s not the ultimate tease, then I don’t know what is.

http://www.destructo...lc-164758.phtml

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
Merging the topics Shadi because we were already discussing that here :)

ShadiWulf

ShadiWulf

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts
oh crap xP

sorry... should of looked here

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

You'll hear more about DLC very soon. I don't want to steal SEGA's thunder on this. But you'll be seeing some sooner than you expect - and it's AWESOME. I've just played it

Fingers crossed folks :)

As for my impressions of the game, I f*!*ing love it. In my eyes it far exceeds anything Mario Kart had to offer, especially seeing as I've been a SEGA fanboy most of my life. It also has the one up of having DLC too, so it's infinately expandable compared to Mario Kart.

I've shot through all the Grand Prix's on easy, working through them on medium, and I've unlocked a tonne of stuff too. The mission modes are really awesome, and I'm stoked at the sheer number of them too. Getting AAA's on them all will not be an easy task.

As for who I'm maining; Opa Opa. I love that wee guy, always have. Sumo, you guys have injected so much life into that sentient spaceship it's scary. It looks like the animators had a really great time thinking of ways to make him cheer and move about : D.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Where did that quote come from? o.o i wanna check up on that.

Also, i agree. The one thing i love is the fact that all these different characters are from different universes yet they all retain their characteristics. It's funny seeing Jacky and Akira, two very serious fighters, drive around shooting missilies at AiAi and yet they still act like they're part of their own universe by celebrating with jump kicks and uppercuts, lol. Sumo really done some fantastic work capturing the essence of each of these characters. It just works so well.

-edit-
Also, does anyone remember this? -
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Go figure they changed it now in the final game. His hand is nowhere near his ..erm.. gearstick >.>;;

Jof

Jof

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts

Where did that quote come from? o.o i wanna check up on that.

Right here my man. Over at the SSMB.

In other news, AAUK just teased Avatar DLC clothing/accesories.

Posted Image

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Just noticed the 360 Avatar ASR clothing myself. Interesting ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users