Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

DreamCast 09 now online!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
http://www.nightsint...d/dreamcast.php

There you go, this one was fun.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
woo! thank you! :P i shall enjoy this! and thank you for the hard work you all put into it :)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Yes, i would like to say thank you to everybody who was involved and sorry to anybody who got caught up in any problems with timezones, our own technical hic-cups or anything that didn't go to plan. We tried the best we could.

Enjoy the show. It was fun talking to all of you and we hope to do this again sometime. Not sure when but we'll keep you posted when the time draws nearer.

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
I've been dieing for this one! I'm going to put this on my iPod right away and listen. :D

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
just finished listening to it, an excellent show indeed! well done to everyone who took part!

plus, i haven't a clue why my previous comment has been quoted by myself... :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
cool, cool. Kinda wish I got in on this (can only blame meself), but all the right points were discussed anyways.. I think we will have to make one ourselves to get another solid NiGHTS game out, sadly. Someone get Sasaki and Co. on the phone for the music. Gah.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Don't worry, we'll be having a funky upbeat group chat for the next podcast. Alll about NiGHTS into Dreams. I await with mirth. Must get lots of people on this one. It will be a lock in love-in.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I really want to make the next show a real nostalgic one and the more i think about it the more i'm looking forward to working on it. But, as i said, all in good time. There's numerous priorities offline that need our attention so i'm gonna hold off on this one, just for now.

I'll be sure to make a new topic when i wanna get the next show rolling.

As for this show though, i agree that the fans might need to be the ones to make the game we've been waiting for. I know TRAViS is really keen on the idea but i wouldn't know the first thing about organising something like this. It's gonna be something we need to discuss, certainly.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I'll try and be patient for the NiD chat then :D Releasing NiD on XBLive and PSN would be smart.. so it likely won't happen *jaded by Sega*

As far as us making a game, I can only fill art based roles.. dunno crap 'bout programming :P though I know Kurosen could help out a bit in that department. Gotta check again in the creative section about that fangame a couple forum members were working on..

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Yay! I can't wait to listen!

Regarding the game, I could do voice acting, writing, or art. I can't programme to save my life, but I'd love to help out in some way.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
man, everyone's an artist on here, i'm useless! :P damn you noctourne, this is your doing! :D

were we to make a game, how would we get permission from sega?

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
You dont. It would be a fan game and if it was any good, like the very few fan made projects that see their way to completion, it would get a cease and desist order, lol.

Companies don't always mind if it's little small fun community projects as long as it doesn't effect their sales or make them look bad, or be mistaken for official.

I'll be honest with you guys. I've been in this fanbase forever and seen about 2.5 fangames reach completion. Fans drop out like flies the second they realise how much hard work it is. It takes a LOT of people working hard as hell, even on bad days, to come together and make a project without bickering, laziness and egos. Big ambitions are cool n'all but sensible well thought out smaller projects go further and actually get completed, as Kentilans Reala Day game proved.

The biggest problem with fan games is that everyone is a fan and EVERYONE wants their 2pence. It's rare that anyone agrees with eachothers ideas. Too many artists and fanfiction writers, not enough workers, lol.

I really like the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 fangame, they did a good job.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
ah i see! well, as of today i am finished school, which is both great and dreadful at the same time. and so, i'm basically free up to september. i have almost 3 months spare time, most of which i would gladly dedicate to this cause! even if it's little things that aren't even important in the game. i have no problem with other people coming up with the ideas and such, so just say the word and i'll help out!

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I listened to the full podcast. Like last time, there are some parts I didn't understand. Sometimes I wish I was born in an English-speaking country. :P
By the way, sorry if I just misunderstood, but I think I've heard my name once or twice, and I think you said I was a boy, while I'm not.
From what I could understand, the show was entertaining at times. Though it's rather depressing to hear everyone say how they don't like JoD or how they are angry at Sega. Makes me feel kinda abnormal. But I probably shouldn't talk about that.
And hey, I laughed a few times.

I'll be honest with you guys. I've been in this fanbase forever and seen about 2.5 fangames reach completion. Fans drop out like flies the second they realise how much hard work it is. It takes a LOT of people working hard as hell, even on bad days, to come together and make a project without bickering, laziness and egos. Big ambitions are cool n'all but sensible well thought out smaller projects go further and actually get completed, as Kentilans Reala Day game proved.

Thanks for the mention :D

I know what it's like to lose motivation on a big project. I've had lots of projects, in various domains, but they almost all got abandoned eventually. You start out with big ambitions and plenty of motivation, but as time passes, motivation fades away. Unfortunately, it's easy to have ideas, but it's much more difficult to achieve them. And the bigger the project, the more likely it is to get stopped before completion.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

I listened to the full podcast. Like last time, there are some parts I didn't understand. Sometimes I wish I was born in an English-speaking country. :P
By the way, sorry if I just misunderstood, but I think I've heard my name once or twice, and I think you said I was a boy, while I'm not.
From what I could understand, the show was entertaining at times. Though it's rather depressing to hear everyone say how they don't like JoD or how they are angry at Sega. Makes me feel kinda abnormal. But I probably shouldn't talk about that.
And hey, I laughed a few times.

I don't think it's a case of not liking it. it's more a case of being a bit disappointed that they had 11 years to make a sequal and they clearly rushed it and left it unfinished (although technically that wasn't sonic team's fault) so don't worry, you're not abnormal :D

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Haahhaa so You're a girl Kentilan? XD Awesome, my online gender guessing fails as usual *lmao* I should learn, especialy with the NiGHTS fandom *lol* No insult intended, you just don't get very many female fans who are into coding and such. Kuedos :P

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I told you Kentilan was a girl :P
Kentilan - i refered to you as a 'she' in the show though someone told me i was wrong so i refered to you as a boy instead. Sorry. I knew i was right from the beginning ^^;

Also, really listening to what we're talking about you can see that we do like Sega. We just wished they handled this delicate license a little better than they had done, that's all. NiGHTS' comeback could have been a bit better recieved if they had only treated the game with a bit more care and allowed Sonic Team to finish the development properly. It's evident by your hacking that a lot was removed, most probably due to them cutting corners to meet the insane deadline they were given.

But thanks for listening to the show, all. Glad you enjoyed it :D

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
Another great show guys! *applaudes* way to distract me from my homework XD

DiGi's right, SEGA love is a true love/hate thing. But when you think of it how many game companys have ever succsefully made a game that completly appeals to all of a fanbase? I never realized how political video games can be. I guess thats what happens when you think too much XD

Hearing all your lovely conversations (you all diden't sound tired to me...) made me wish I was there, but I probably woulden't be much help in the next one because I wasen't even in kindergarden in 1996, but talking about happy stuff will be a good change of pace. CHEER UP EVERYBODY!!!
Jofs subdule little 'I liked that level' made scream/laugh into my pillow.

it okay that I have to wait for the next one, I don't mind. Take your time, life happens, so no worrys here

again, thanks for another enertaining hour, It really helps me get to know this fanbase :wub:

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Hah, it's always so entertaining to hear my own voice.

That was a great podcast. The next one definitely needs to be done the same way with group chats and whatnot. Community involvement is win and gives you a lot more to talk about and fill a whole hour with! Lovin' it.

Damn...the "SEGA" sounds I tried to drop in with my cell phone hardly came through :wub:

As for the NiGHTS community game project I mentioned, I'm still as game as always, though I can say right now that my time commitment won't be very large since I have a very busy year coming up...still with any luck hopefully we can figure something out and get a prototype out at some point, yes?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Just to post again in regard to a fan-game, I think the goal should just be to create one level. Hell, even one mare. Though I suppose it goes without saying. I'd be really interested to see what kinds of things everyone would want to put into it.

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
Wow. That was quite entertaining as usual. So the "fans! fans!" stuff never counted even though they said it would. Heh.
And about voices... I think I remember people complaining that the Jp voice option didn't work? From my being bored and finding stuff on nicovideo, all I've heard of game recordings were in english. I don't think that the Jp voices even exist in the Jp game.

And regarding fangame... Have you guys heard of SRB2? It's a Sonic fangame where you can implement characters and levels that you make. There's a NiGHTS mode but the axis points for rings and circular tracks in the level editor confuse me. XP But if you guys wanna build on an already existent engine that could be a good idea.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Sega is quite hit or miss- either it's a hit (NiD, Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Ristar), or a miss (Sonic Unleashed, Sonic 06, Let's face it- most recent Sonic games), but rarely do fans find a middle ground. But it's not just Sega; many fandoms hate what the love, and that is your paradox for the day. Thank you. *nods*

man, everyone's an artist on here, i'm useless! :blink: damn you noctourne, this is your doing! :blink:

were we to make a game, how would we get permission from sega?

Yay, I'm slowly leeching the world of it's talent! Muahahaha! :blink:

Haahhaa so You're a girl Kentilan? XD Awesome, my online gender guessing fails as usual *lmao* I should learn, especialy with the NiGHTS fandom *lol* No insult intended, you just don't get very many female fans who are into coding and such. Kuedos :)

I suggest a new topic inspired by the "tell a lie" one- "Guess the gender of the poster above you"! :blink:

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Like most others, I know nearly zilch about programming, but I could give storyline suggestions. I could also draft up concept art of levels, characters, etc, if only to give a starting point for the better artists to improve upon (because my skills are still in the developing stages ^^:blink:.

My experience with big projects is that if there are small deadlines along the way, it's way easier to keep going. Like get one chapter typed of a story in three days or something. Just having a deadline period makes it a whole lot more likely that it's going to be finished. Like when I drew and colored a picture of Optimus Prime for my friend's birthday gift. My gosh, that thing took forever! So much stuff on him. Even when I declared it "done," I could still pick out little things wrong with it, though my friend hasn't observed anything the matter. But I kept working on it because I knew it had a due date, and I got it done by her birthday party, after almost a month ('cause I'm slow).

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Assuming a community fan project ever gets off the ground, I think the only thing I'd be good for is voice acting. I have no idea who the hell I'd be cast as though.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I think a fan made game would be cool, but the problem is people are fickle and don't stick it out the whole way. Believe me, I know from experience. With the fan game MudersLastCrow and myself were working on over a year ago, I was still energetic about it and willing to stick it out to the end, but he one day dropped off the map. I feel if people were willing to stick to it, it could happen as long as we don't get shut down.

Chao Freak 1

Chao Freak 1

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Space Channel 5, NiGHTS, VOCALOID, the Dream Dimention, Art
I'd stick 'till the end. Only problem is that I'm bad at programing stuff. Still suggests SRB2 though. We could replace supersonic with the Sonic Riders model of NiGHTS and implement some fan remixes or something. Anyone wanna try to make even a simple circle for a NiGHTS level? I got confused.
here and here have the how to but I really don't get it. I've made 3D levels before but this is just confusing.

Also this is what the mode looks like with supersonic.
Posted Image

Just throwing out possibilities. It's pretty easy to control with the PS2 controller also.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I think the best thing to do right now would be to start a topic for this project idea in the NiGHTS General chat section.
Since TRAViS is really keen on the idea i think it might be best him starting the topic with his ideas and you all can discuss there what would be the options for you in terms of making a fan game.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

I think the best thing to do right now would be to start a topic for this project idea in the NiGHTS General chat section.
Since TRAViS is really keen on the idea i think it might be best him starting the topic with his ideas and you all can discuss there what would be the options for you in terms of making a fan game.

'Tis the plan...but that topic won't come until sometime next week once I have some time to settle down from a hell of a kick off to my summer. Stay tuned, all.

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
If only I could snap my fingers and be a programmer.....

aannnnnnnyyyyyyyways....

I was thinking last night, do we even know who Wizemans voice actor is? I want to shake that mans hand for making Wizeman the best voice match seince Optimus Prime and Peter Cullen

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.

I was thinking last night, do we even know who Wizemans voice actor is? I want to shake that mans hand for making Wizeman the best voice match seince Optimus Prime and Peter Cullen

We do. Roger L. Jackson, probably best known for voicing Mojo Jojo in the Powerpuff Girls.

There are a few voive actor threads floating around in general discussion talking about the whole cast. They're pretty cool so you should check them out.

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
really? I used to watch PPG as a kid! *head trip*
Thanks, thats all I wanted to know.

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

really? I used to watch PPG as a kid! *head trip*
Thanks, thats all I wanted to know.

Oh, really? Well, oddly enough that makes a LOT of sense...

By the way, the opening of the show. I JUMPED OUT MY CHAIR, that Wizeman bit scared me half to death! ._. (But it was HiLARiOUS. And it's been in my head for three days... XD)

shadow1111111

shadow1111111

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Okay, so the topic of the arcade game being dead interests me. Does Sega believe that to be true? I find that odd because Sin and Punishment 2 looks to be an arcade score attack kind of game like the first one, and many people are excited about it and are glad it maintains the draw of the original. This is a game like NiGHTS that was released in the mid 90's, and both were score attack games. NiGHTS was changed for a "modern audience". Sin and Punishment is being kept the same gameplay-wise. Sega messed up big time.

Lotus

Lotus

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
(wow, it's been a while since I was on here.)
Many giggles were to be had with this show :lol: now that I'm really getting back into NiGHTS, I find myself really, really disappointing with the fact we could have something so much more than what we got. But nooooo >:T
I need to find a Saturn and the original NiGHTS so I can play it, I really want to now -fist shake-
I dunno if it's because I'm running on caffeine, but that bit at the end creeped me out...

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
(Because there's no thread for it yet) I've been learning how to make 3D models, I could make levels and design stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users