Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

1996 Sega NiGHTS Website (UPDATE)

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
~UPDATE~

DOWNLOAD THE SITE HERE:

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD NiD WEBSITE

I have this software that lets me download entire sites at once (all the pages and all the files hosted everywhere there) and I'm using it to download the old, defunct, gibberish and japanese-ridden official NiGHTS site that sega made eons and eons ago. I've been browsing here and there and have seen such.....odd things o__O but even though i've been looking through it for years I always find some new weird thing to entertain me for a moment. So, i'm downloading the whole thing, searching through all the files and seeing what I can find. If I find anything truly interesting, i'll post it. Or when I have it all compiled I may upload all the files somewhere and allow them for download. We'll see, I'll let you guys decide. I'm just very bored and wanted to see what all was on that blasted site.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
That's a good idea. I'd like to download it as well. There's a lot of interesting stuff on that site.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Well, I finished downloading it and I hate that there are so many corrupt files. There were several zip and rar files that had things in them but were corrupt. I wish I knew what the nclock application did too.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
That site is still a mine full of gems that have yet to be unearthed. I have a whole folder full of Japanese NiGHTS stuff that I'm dying to get translated ._.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I could help maybe? I'm not an expert in Japanese but I'm not bad at translating (usually).

Huruyami, would it be possible to upload the whole site somewhere? How big is it, by the way?

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
The site wasn't very big at all, I'd say under 100mb. I'll zip it and upload.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
This is cool. I swear it's like exploring a cave with you guys every time stuff like this happens. Can't wait to see the things you find.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Woah. I've been busy and I totally forgot about this topic. I have the site zipped and ready for upload, and I'll have it up by the end of the night. I'll edit the first post and put it there.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I was just taking a look at the NiD site and I ended up at the NiGHTS Sound Team page.

There's some pretty interesting stuff in there. It seems like a diary of the team working on the sound effects and music, and it has a lot of links in it.

One of the images I came across had to do with the sound effects. If anyone can find the time to translate it I'm curious to know what it says.

Posted Image

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I was just taking a look at the NiD site and I ended up at the NiGHTS Sound Team page.

There's some pretty interesting stuff in there. It seems like a diary of the team working on the sound effects and music, and it has a lot of links in it.

One of the images I came across had to do with the sound effects. If anyone can find the time to translate it I'm curious to know what it says.

Posted Image

Wow! I'm curious as to what the third image is. It doesn't look much like NiGHTS. Also, is that a maren in the second-to-last pictyre?

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Wow! I'm curious as to what the third image is. It doesn't look much like NiGHTS. Also, is that a maren in the second-to-last pictyre?

well call me crazy but I think the one in the third image is actually Claris, refering to the visitor's sound effects I guess

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Ok, uploaded to rapidshare, download link in first post. Happy hunting :P

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting

Posted Image

would you be able to capture the image in a higher resolution? I'd be able to translate some of the kanji in that sheet and I love finally having an oppertunity to contribute to the commiunity!

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I could have sworn I had seen that image here in the official NiGHTS artwork section before.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Ok, uploaded to rapidshare, download link in first post. Happy hunting :P

Thanks a lot! When I have more time I'll have to see what I can find out.

I could have sworn I had seen that image here in the official NiGHTS artwork section before.

It's now in the Concept Art section.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

I'm glad! I can't wait to see what you find :blink:

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting

*faceplam*

Same here. I'm sort of bogged with end of year schoolwork, but once thats over I'll also see what I can do :blink:

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
o_O I've had that image on the site for donkey years XD You guys just noticed it? I was the person who gave it to Sonic-Cult for their NiGHTS section in like 2004 or something.

But yah, translations would be nice.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
So it has been there for ages? Good, I'm not crazy haha. I swore I had seen it eons ago on this website, so now I can rest easy knowing i'm not demented :blink:

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things

If anyone can find the time to translate it I'm curious to know what it says.

Posted Image

Here's my SHODDY JOB:
Row one: (I don't know), SUTA, ballroom (something) small(?)
Row two: something break (probably "Flying Break" - refering to stopping while flying?), KYUKYU, something (but not the same something in column one) break
three: Child Jump, BYOON
four: Nights' Jump, BYOIIN, (I've got no clue, the begining alternates similar sounds with hiragana/katakana)
five: (I don't know, probably refers to a paraloop), SHUFIN, (I don't know)
six: (I don't know), TA, "Ballroom small"(?)
seven: (I don't know), BOIIN, I cannot quite make it out but it clearly refers to hitting minions
eight: something bound, BOUYOON(?), (I don't know)

Largely incomplete! Probably incorrect! But at least you can pronounce the sound effects?

What I am THINKING is "ballroom" is probably something totally different. Because it makes pretty much no sense in the context AFAIK. "Boryuumu"

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

o_O I've had that image on the site for donkey years XD You guys just noticed it? I was the person who gave it to Sonic-Cult for their NiGHTS section in like 2004 or something.

But yah, translations would be nice.

I thought it looked familliar! Nice to know that I'm not totally crazy. :P

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I looked at the pages about pian breeding (here and here).
That was interesting. The A-LIFE system in that game is deeper than I thought.
But I barely know anything about pian breeding in NiD, so I don't know if any of this is already well-known or not.
Anyway...
- Pians like you more if you hatch their egg, if you kill marens in front of them, or if you perform acrobatic moves during acrobatic time. They like you less if you kill them.
- Each pian has basically 2 special behaviors. From what I understand, a pian will get a brand new special behavior if the two behaviors he inherited from his parents are the same. So if you want to see various actions they advise you to bring together pians with the same behaviors.
- Mepians like mating and will try to mate with pians against their will (that's... disturbing).
- Mating greatly decreases a pian's HP, so his lifespan becomes really short.
- They also explain how to get a superpian (full pian born from two mepian), and you can paraloop a superpian, though that's not a good idea.

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.

- Mepians like mating and will try to mate with pians against their will (that's... disturbing).

O_o... Only in Japan eh.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Wow, the a-life system is very deep. I'm liking whats coming out of this site, hehee

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
Some of the images seemed to be distorted due to age, but there's some great in-game screen shots, great find :unsure:

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Dreamer#96, I don't think its because of age. Images just don't deteriorate on a website. I thinks it because back in 1996 everyone was on dialup or something just as slow so they couldn't have hi-res, long loading-time images.

JAZZ-man

JAZZ-man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
nice to see the past once in a while

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Dreamer#96, I don't think its because of age. Images just don't deteriorate on a website. I thinks it because back in 1996 everyone was on dialup or something just as slow so they couldn't have hi-res, long loading-time images.

But regardless of the file sizes, some images are distorted. Look at this one for example. Apparently some of the files are corrupt.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
I never said they weren't distorted, but unless something happened to the images personally as in they were edited or something, they don't just corrode from sitting on a web server for 13 years. The whole site is messed up, but last time I checked websites and digital files don't just erode with time. However, I usually am wrong when I think I'm right, so if you can prove me wrong then please do so, lol.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
OK, I misunderstood you. Because you talked about dial-up and I don't understand what it has to do with this.

I've been told the whole site had been down for years, and was then restored from a backup, but the backup was corrupt somehow.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
To be honest I've had a lot of the files from the original site on my old PC's through the years that have been passed from HD to HD. I found that over time some of the image files would for no reason just turn into a garbled mess and corrupt when they had previously been fine. I'll see if I can dig any of them up since I think they should still be on my external HD. The old site was the only time I've ever really had this image problem.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Yeah, transferring and backing up files, especially image files, can cause corruption. Its really interesting to hear the translations Kentilan has. :)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
I've translated more stuff... I'll just paste the full translation here.
(once again, sorry if it doesn't make much sense)

world

"NiGHTS"... world of dreams

A strange world that we call "dreams"... That is the Night Dimension.
That place is a different dimensional space neighboring the three-dimensional space, and when we fall asleep (during REM sleep to be exact), only the "consciousness" travels to there.

There are various theories about the appearance of this Night Dimension, such as a pure white empty world, a beautiful world all shining, or a dark and dreadful world, but according to "Traum" of the german psychopathologist Friedrich Holtz,
in the Night Dimension, things such as fixed shapes don't exist. That's because the shapes are always changing due to the "consciousness" of us who got lost in this space.

This "consciousness" is the 5 Ideya that appear in "NiGHTS", and the beautiful world created in the Night Dimension by the Ideya is Nightopia.

Moreover, the dark and dreadful world located on the opposite side from Nightopia is Nightmare.

We call these 2 worlds "dream" and "nightmare" respectively.

Nightopia

World of beautiful dreams.
Inhabitants living happily.

Nightopia

Beautiful ideal world created by Ideya.

However, because it is created by our "consciousness", this world is often sceneries that we remember, and sometimes it is the real world itself.
And the "consciousness" doesn't only reflect an ideal place as it is, but may also represents emotions, feelings, or the ideal itself in the space.
Generally, it is said that the "mountain" is the conversion in the space of a strong reliance on the father, and the "sea" is the conversion of the presence of the mother.

Fun memories of what you experienced during the day are reproduced in the dream world, what you couldn't achieve in the real world is achieved in the dream world, etc.; such phenomenons are all made by the inhabitants of Nightopia, called Nightopians.
Inside a dream, they appear in front of us in various shapes, such as people happy to come together, or people who simply live.
In practice, the Nightopians who appear in a dream have a different appearance from those who appear in "NiGHTS". This is simply because, since three-dimensional things don't exist in the Night Dimension, their shape is decided by the image of the person who sees them.

Nightmare

World of dark and dreadful dreams.
Crazy inhabitants living.

Nightmare

Dark and dreadful world, created by Wizeman and creatures of second level and above.

Wizeman is planning to anihilate Nightopia, and it is a world created to expel our "consciousness" from the dream world.
For this reason, the world of Nightmare can be called the most unpleasant world that reflect our "consciousness".
For example, for a person who have a strong reliance on his father, it creates the anger of a violent mountain; to a person with an oversized presence of his mother, it creates a raging stormy sea; and stir up fear.

Thus, the inhabitants that made us be afraid in the world of Nightmare are the Nightmarens.
Dreams where you're falling endlessly, dreams where you're chased by someone, dream where you and your friends die... These are all created by Nightmarens.

However, the nightmares that they create can't be only called a bad thing unconditionally.
Because, fighting against this adversity with courage, you can meet your true grown-up self...

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Aha! SO that's why we have the unconscious space- it has no Ideya! It all makes perfect sense now.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Thats a very intriguing explanation of the dream worlds. Sega put more thought into this than I thought.

SegaSaturnGal

SegaSaturnGal

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Location:Louisiana, USA (I finally got out of your Saturn's CPU)

Aha! SO that's why we have the unconscious space- it has no Ideya! It all makes perfect sense now.

Now that you mention it...it sure does!

Now if someone could translate the PS2 version manual...

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Now if someone could translate the PS2 version manual...

Well, if you have scans, I can try.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Sorry I haven't posted here in a while, but most of the stuff I've translated since last time wasn't really interesting, in my opinion.

Anyway, here is some stuff from these pages explaining the name of the songs on the OST. Though I don't know if this stuff was already known or not, but some of it was new for me.
Also note that the text on these pages was fairly difficult to translate, so it's possible that what I'm saying is wrong.

- in "Gate of Your Dream" (select stage screen), the random noises and voices represent the events of the day that you remember before entering a dream. There are supposed to be the voices of mom and dad and of childhood memories. And some train.
- Spring Valley represents Claris's father image; the song is called "Paternal Horn" because "paternal" means fatherly, and the horn refers to the one used in the song.
- Jackle apparently represents Death and/or an executioner. Because of his mantle it seems.
- the theme of Mystic Forest is called "Gloom of The National Highway Corporation", apparently because someone from the N.H.C. would be very worried to see all the ruined vehicles and signs in the level.
- the sea in Splash Garden represents motherhood. The song is called "The Amazing Water" because of the strange stuff like giant bubbles.
- Puffy represents Elliot's mother image.
- Stick Canyon represents Elliot's growth. I think the name "Under Construction" apply both to Elliot growing up and to the stuff in the level.
- Twin Seeds also represents the growth (of course, that's the subtitle of the level). The name "Growing Wings" refers to how the characters could fly by themselves. On a side note, the Japanese term used for "growing wings" is ordinarily used for insects (it's also called 'emergence', when an insect gets wings for the first time).
- "D'Force" (from Wizeman's theme "D'Force Master") means Dream Force.
- apparently the musical that Claris auditioned for was about the story of the woman who founded the city of Twin Seeds. (I assume Claris plays that woman). During the last scene of that musical, the main character is sowing seeds. Hence the name of that scene's song, "Sowing Seeds".
- the theme of the intro movie is called "Fragmented Nights" because that video shows fragments of NiGHTS's personality and movements. Though in that case it should be written "Fragmented NiGHTS". As it is written on JoD's OST. Though I think that's not the same music.

And I've just realized "tragedic" is not a real word.

Rachell

Rachell

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
o_O well, THAT's completely new for me (except the Jackle thingy)

wow, even if the game is err...14 years old?, we can still learn new things from it :lol:
once more great find Kentilan

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

- in "Gate of Your Dream" (select stage screen), the random noises and voices represent the events of the day that you remember before entering a dream. There are supposed to be the voices of mom and dad and of childhood memories. And some train.

lol random train :lol:

That explains quite a bit. NiGHTS is such a delightfully deep game. :)

- Spring Valley represents Claris's father image; the song is called "Paternal Horn" because "paternal" means fatherly, and the horn refers to the one used in the song.

Was there not some controversy about it being "Paternal Hone"?

- the theme of Mystic Forest is called "Gloom of The National Highway Corporation", apparently because someone from the N.H.C. would be very worried to see all the ruined vehicles and signs in the level.

Is there an actual National Highway Corporation?

- Puffy represents Elliot's mother image.

He must not think very highly of her. :P

- Stick Canyon represents Elliot's growth. I think the name "Under Construction" apply both to Elliot growing up and to the stuff in the level.

Again, NiGHTS is so much more than a game about a flying purple jester.

- "D'Force" (from Wizeman's theme "D'Force Master") means Dream Force.

That makes sense! I'm so happy to know that.

- apparently the musical that Claris auditioned for was about the story of the woman who founded the city of Twin Seeds. (I assume Claris plays that woman). During the last scene of that musical, the main character is sowing seeds. Hence the name of that scene's song, "Sowing Seeds".

Once again, that makes sense! Interesting that a woman founded Twin Seeds, not Archie's goat man. :lol:

- the theme of the intro movie is called "Fragmented Nights" because that video shows fragments of NiGHTS's personality and movements. Though in that case it should be written "Fragmented NiGHTS". As it is written on JoD's OST. Though I think that's not the same music.

I always thought that it was called "fragmented" because it's only fragments of the main theme, but the description is reasonable.

And I've just realized "tragedic" is not a real word.

Wow! "tragedic." Maybe it's Nightmaren?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users