Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The NiGHTSmare Before Chrismas

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...
Hi, all!

Now I'm POSITIVE that all of you have heard the term Nightmare Before Christmas SOMEWHERE. Well, recently I got hold of one of the DVD copies and saw it. BEST 106-or-so-Minutes OF MY LIFE. I loved the songs, the characters, especially how Danny Efman*Jack Skellington* managd to make his voice seem especially good for the character, such at moments when he's all sad and depressed. My fave songs out of them all would have to be 'Kidnap The Sandy Claws'*and Revisited/Danny Elfman Remix*, 'Poor Jack'*and Revistied REMIX*, 'This is Halloween'*and Revisited/Panic/Danny Elfman Remix*, 'Jack's Lament'*NOT Revisted Remix. I didn't like that one much. It was still decent though*, and the 'Final Boss' song*where Jack fights Oogie Boogie*.

What are your opinions?

P.S. The poem was something that Tim Burton had written LONG before the movie, though it had a different ending. In the movie, Jack fights Oogie Boogie and in the poem, Oogie doesn't exist apparently, after Jack's sleigh crash, Santa comes by, fixes things, and everything goes back to normal*or as close to normal as possible... :lol: *. You can view the poem on the new DVD version if you wait after the credits roll.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

Hi, all!

Now I'm POSITIVE that all of you have heard the term Nightmare Before Christmas SOMEWHERE. Well, recently I got hold of one of the DVD copies and saw it. BEST 106-or-so-Minutes OF MY LIFE. I loved the songs, the characters, especially how Danny Efman*Jack Skellington* managd to make his voice seem especially good for the character, such at moments when he's all sad and depressed. My fave songs out of them all would have to be 'Kidnap The Sandy Claws'*and Revisited/Danny Elfman Remix*, 'Poor Jack'*NOT REVISTED REMIX! IT SUUUUUUUUUUCKED!*, 'This is Halloween'*and Revisited/Panic/Danny Elfman Remix*, and the 'Final Boss' song*where Jack fights Oogie Boogie*.

What are your opinions?

P.S. The poem was something that Tim Burton had written LONG before the movie, though it had a different ending. In the movie, Jack fights Oogie Boogie and in the poem, Oogie doesn't exist apparently, after Jack's sleigh crash, Santa comes by, fixes things, and everything goes back to normal*or as close to normal as possible... :lol: *. You can view the poem on the new DVD version if you wait after the credits roll.

Being the Disney Dweeb that I am, I love the video of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion Holiday!

The way you titled it made me think it was a NiGHTS-ified version of the poem. That would be AWSOME!

MagicPickleFairy

MagicPickleFairy

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Video Games, Anime, Musical Theater.
I loved that movie when I was both a kid and when I revised it as a teenager. I bought the DVD for myself recently, and watched it with some friends. We all agreed that this movie rocked.

I haven't looked at the special features yet. Although I do remember one in the first DVD called, "Vincent." That also came up as a poem and was darkly funny.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

I loved that movie when I was both a kid and when I revised it as a teenager. I bought the DVD for myself recently, and watched it with some friends. We all agreed that this movie rocked.

I haven't looked at the special features yet. Although I do remember one in the first DVD called, "Vincent." That also came up as a poem and was darkly funny.

I love Vincent! He reminds me of me, lol. I actually memorized the whole thing, and when I tried to recite it at school, I ended up accidentally sounding like Vincent Price. One must wonder if Price felt odd narrating an ode to himself...

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
WAH! I haven't gotten the new version of it yet, but I adore the movie. Also, ever read Grim Tales from Down Below? Best Nightmare/Grim Adventures Xover ever.
As for the Revisited soundtrack, I liked Plain White T's version of 'Poor Jack'. As well as KoRN's 'Kidnap the Sandy Claws', All-American Rejects' 'Jack's Lament', Marilyn Manson's 'This Is Halloween' (as perferred to P!ATD's version), Rise Against's 'Making Christmas', and I abhorred Flyleaf's 'What's This' (the Fallout Boy version on Nightmare 3D version was much more fitting to the ADHD feel that Jack originally give's it). Also, Amy Lee did a pretty good job with Sally's song. Absolutely beautiful.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

WAH! I haven't gotten the new version of it yet, but I adore the movie. Also, ever read Grim Tales from Down Below? Best Nightmare/Grim Adventures Xover ever.
As for the Revisited soundtrack, I liked Plain White T's version of 'Poor Jack'. As well as KoRN's 'Kidnap the Sandy Claws', All-American Rejects' 'Jack's Lament', Marilyn Manson's 'This Is Halloween' (as perferred to P!ATD's version), Rise Against's 'Making Christmas', and I abhorred Flyleaf's 'What's This' (the Fallout Boy version on Nightmare 3D version was much more fitting to the ADHD feel that Jack originally give's it). Also, Amy Lee did a pretty good job with Sally's song. Absolutely beautiful.

Most of those bands make my ears bleed, and remakes in general bug me, but Amy Lee's version of Sally's Song (my favourite in the whole film) was lovely. On the topic of ADHD what's this, I hate how all the Jack Skellington merch has him angry and evil looking- in the movie he's a total spaz! Wannabe goths with Nighmare stuff bug me; one girl had a nightmare jacket with Jack on it, so I asked what her favourite part of the movie was. Her response- "Movie? What Movie? I just like the demonic skeleton on the jacket." :P

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
Thank you! If anything, Jack Skellington is (to be blunt about it) an obsessive, socially blind, overly-curious (and possibly bipolar) little kid with massive amounts of ADHD. Which is why I love him so much. He's not really 'gothic' or 'emo', but he is a strange combination of all the negative mental conditions that can wrack a human being.
Which is, persoanlly, why I love him so much!

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, gaming, making bad puns, making comics...I think that's it...gah, my childhood sucks...

Most of those bands make my ears bleed, and remakes in general bug me, but Amy Lee's version of Sally's Song (my favourite in the whole film) was lovely. On the topic of ADHD what's this, I hate how all the Jack Skellington merch has him angry and evil looking- in the movie he's a total spaz! Wannabe goths with Nighmare stuff bug me; one girl had a nightmare jacket with Jack on it, so I asked what her favourite part of the movie was. Her response- "Movie? What Movie? I just like the demonic skeleton on the jacket." :P

*facepalm* Holy crap...the youth these days are constantly slipping into emoness. *brick hits back of head*

Emo Kids: What's that supposed to mean!?

...It means...I'M RUNNING!

.................................................Heh heh! They fall for that ol' hologram trick EVERY time!

Anyway, I agree with you and Lady Spritzy. Jack isn't emo or goth, he's just kind of negative. BUT there's always the chance that he looks at the bright side, such as in the finishing verses of 'Poor Jack'. NOT an emo. Besides even if he was, I doubt he could cut himself...Crap, now Jack fans are gonna beat me up! *runs from forming crowd*

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
I got your back against the crowd, Nightlight! *grabs sniper rifle and aims... VERY carefully...*

Anyway, I've always thought of Jack as what I've stated above. But his heart's in the right place, and he really does care when he finally realizes he's done something wrong. Which is probably why Sally likes him (but, of course, his inability to see the follies in his ways makes an emotional gap.)
Really, he just needs a hug, which is more than can be said for most emo/goth kids.

(I'll try and stop talking about nothing now.)

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
I too shall protect Nightlight from the emo brigade!

The worst part is, 99.9999999% of them aren't really depressed, they just act like stupid idiots because it's "cool." I can understand the fashion (I have...eccentric tastes myself), but just because you dress a certain way doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your brain! Argh!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
If memory serves I was in second grade when the movie came out. Tragically my parents wouldn't let me see it, they were very protective with my movie options -- now I watch all sorts of demented stuff. Anyway, not seeing it in theaters made me loose all sorts of cool points. When I finally saw it on video, I honestly didn't think it was all that great and most other kids had stopped caring.
I've been wanting to watch it in 3D in theaters since it has been re-released a few times but was busy with college.

Anyway, I like Tim Burton and Danny Elfman but the movie doesn't really do anything for me beyond having awesome aesthetics. But the aesthetics ARE awesome; really most stop-motion tends towards awesome. I know I'm in the minority but I liked James and the Giant Peach more.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I've been wanting to watch it in 3D in theaters since it has been re-released a few times but was busy with college.

The 3D is nice, but most of the time I couldn't tell if it was 3D or just the stop motion puppets. I was hoping to see the promised 3D Vincent before the film, but the cinema I saw it at didn't have the short. I was sad. :(

Narco

Narco

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Oh I love this movie! I have yet to get my hands on a copy of the newest special edition release, but I do have the original. I loved Jack's character. He strikes me as being somewhat naive, and a tad confused. But like Lady Spritzy said, his hearts in the right place. :blink:

May I too join as a Protector from the Emos?

InTheNightlight

InTheNightlight

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Okay, I was just looking at the deleted scenes and stuff to junk up my brain even MORE and one of them was titled: Oogie's True Identity. I watched it and it seemed the same only in storyboard. I expected Oogie to be Jack's dad or something. No. You know Dr Finklestien? The guy who creates Sally and the reindeer? Yeah, he's Oogie Boogie...Shocking, isn't it?

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

Okay, I was just looking at the deleted scenes and stuff to junk up my brain even MORE and one of them was titled: Oogie's True Identity. I watched it and it seemed the same only in storyboard. I expected Oogie to be Jack's dad or something. No. You know Dr Finklestien? The guy who creates Sally and the reindeer? Yeah, he's Oogie Boogie...Shocking, isn't it?

Yeah...

I saw that and I was like, " :blink: That's it?!" I expected more. Plus, it really doesn't make sense. Why would he create Oogie anyways?

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
My favorite thing about Kingdom Hearts 2 was probably the Halloween town area. Me and 2 of My friends love this movie.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I love the character designs so much. Great stop motion animation is so awesome.

I have to post this again, because. http://i26.photobuck.../nightmaren.jpg

Razer112

Razer112

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Video games, game design, art things
I'm actually watching the movie right now! Right now Jack is doing his Christmas time.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

I love the character designs so much. Great stop motion animation is so awesome.

I have to post this again, because. http://i26.photobuck.../nightmaren.jpg

That's excellent! I particularly love the lettering. :lol:

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I have the video game and the movie on dvd. This movie I enjoy with great intensity. I even have a version of solitare with nbc characters someone made on my computer. By far this is one movie I truly enjoy and one that DESERVES a sequel or remake or whatever

KUROi the dreamer

KUROi the dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:lots o stuff
OMG! JACK SKELLINGTON F~T~FREAKING~WIN!!

Nix Entente

Nix Entente

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Jack isn't emo or goth, he's just kind of negative.

I agree; he definitely isn't emo or goth! But, I can't really say that he's negative, either. In fact, he kind of embodies everything positive: ambitious, driven, excited about what he does, passionate, brilliant, caring, aware. The only litte downside is that he gets pretty...tunnel-visioned. : ) In fact, the only reason Christmas becomes a disaster is because of the people of Halloweentown. Jack seems to understand what Christmas is--that's what enthralls him. It isn't until he tries to bend it for the other citizens that it becomes a mess.

Honestly, my view of Jack is very close to how I see NiGHTS. He is by nature, a scary creature, but only because we're trained to fear certain things. The curiosity and geniality of both character eventually wins us over, even though they could really terrify us if they wanted to. I like to see NiGHTS from the original game as a sharp, scientific mind with a razor wit and spidery hands. : 3 Mmm, NiD NiGHTS...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users