Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Star Trek

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
I--well, my whole family, actually, is very excited about this movie. We're all Star Trek fans, so this is a big treat. So far the trailers look good. It seems it'll be much more action-packed than the show was. This also slightly worries me, though, because I'm wondering if most of the intellectual part so characteristic of the show will be taken out. But if Leonard Nimy approves, then it should be good.

So, am I the only Trekkie around here?

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I would say I'm a big fan, not ultra hardcore, but big. I have the first two seasons of TOS on DVD as well as the first 8 movies. I've got to get more. (I need to find myself some steady employement!)

I'm really unsure if this will be good or not. It seems weird to me to be having the original characters with a new cast. But the even-numbered movies do tend to be good, so I've got hopes!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I wouldn't say i'm a fan of Star Trek but i used to watch Next Generation as kid because it came on right after the The Simpsons and Fresh Prince of Bel Air on UK Channel BBC 2 during the mid 90's. Because of that i just stayed sat on the sofa and watched it and i found myself to enjoy it. I never really followed it after BBC 2 stopped airing it though so i guess i wasn't a fan.

As for the old Star Trek TV show, i never followed that at all, lol.

As far as the new movie goes, i am actually kinda interested in it.
First and foremost, Simon Pegg is playing Scotty. That alone has me interested.
Secondly, Spock is played by OMG!SYLER-MAN from Heroes. That also interests me.
Thirdly, the original Spock is actually present in the movie which means they're not doing what so many other movies are doing and 'rewriting' the old stuff, they're simply adding to the story itself.

So, yeah. The new Star Trek film has me interested indeed.

Oh, while i'm in here, even though he's from a completely different series of Star Trek, Geordi La Forge for the win. He always made me think of X-Men with that visor of his. XD

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Oh, while i'm in here, even though he's from a completely different series of Star Trek, Geordi La Forge for the win. He always made me think of X-Men with that visor of his. XD

Yeah, Geordi's cool. At first, though, what I thought was "OMGosh! The Reading Rainbow man!" :)

I'm not "ultra hardcore," either (at least, not yet), because we've only recently gotten into Star Trek again, say ~ Nov/Dec last year. My brothers' and my previous memories from watching it when we were 5 years old have been all but erased by the large time gap, so we've pretty much started fresh. There's quite a bit of Star Trek trivia I still don't know. But I absolutely love it. :P So I'm very excited that there's more of the story coming with this new movie. My only major disappointment so far is that William Shatner isn't going to appear in it as an old Kirk like Leonard Nimoy is with Spock.

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Spocklar...

My dad totally hates this version which makes me want to see it more. :) The visurals are very pretty and intense. I'm curious how they will pull it off without making it look like a sci-fi next-generation-whatever teen movie.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've seen my fair share of the various Star Trek series, wouldn't call myself a die-hard either but I'm certainly a fan. I'm interested to see how the movie will fare.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
It looks like theyve sexed it up a bit which is my only concern. Startrek and HOTSEXINS don't really go arm in arm for me.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

It looks like theyve sexed it up a bit which is my only concern. Startrek and HOTSEXINS don't really go arm in arm for me.

Supposedly William Shatner as Captain Kirk was a pretty gigantic sex symbol on the original series? I'll chalk that up to women in the 1960s being strange.
But surely no nerd will deny the ULTIMATE HAWTITUDE that is Seven of Nine? And to a lesser extent the bald alien-babe in the first movie.

My only major disappointment so far is that William Shatner isn't going to appear in it as an old Kirk like Leonard Nimoy is with Spock.

Star Trek Generations prevents that from making sense continuity-wise. I'm not totally sure how Nimoy will be in the movie but I know fans can be rabid and dangerous if the canon gets messed up?

Also LaForge is great. I wish I had his visor. But I guess glasses are slightly easier to deal with?

...so I'm feeling nerdier than normal about now.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
*gasp!* :P Only 8 days until it comes out in theaters around here... 9 until I actually see it... My family's already pre-ordered our tickets for the show--in IMAX (whoop!)--and my friend's family is going to order theirs soon, too...

Man, I'm so psyched!!! I can't wait!!!

Live long and prosper...
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :lol:

I'm going to be making that sign with my hand all day Thursday/Friday next week :P
I get way too excited over stuff like this.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I'm pretty jazzed about this movie even though I never followed the original series. Definitely going to see it in Imax. I liked the movies though. However, I am a huge fan of The Next Generation. That was such a great show on so many levels.

And bringing up the hotness again, nobody in Star Trek will ever be sexier than Patrick Stewart. Yeah I said it. :(

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.

And bringing up the hotness again, nobody in Star Trek will ever be sexier than Patrick Stewart. Yeah I said it. :P

i agree whole heartedly! :D

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
My mom would probably agree, too. She absolutely loves Picard. Whenever we have movie nights, she wants to watch Next Gen so she can see "her Jean-Luc." :)

On the other hand, I'm too young to be attracted to someone much older than 20. :P

andersam

andersam

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:Things that are interesting
I'll admit I've rarely seen Star trek episodes (spare an occasinal rerun on Sci-fi) I want to see this movie. considering EVERY SINGLE entertainment magazine is interviewing J.J Abrums for it, but the Colbert Report (an american show spoofing news and media) did it best XD. They were saying that the current spirit of america is similer to when Star trek primered, maybe it'll be pick-me-up and not one of thouse 'dark justice' movies that we've been seeing (i.e: Watchmen)

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
I've seen it!!!
I love it! The characters are true to the originals for the most part (although more immature :() and the plot is very interesting: time travel and all. It's got great humor.
Spoiler

But it's not a prequel as most prequels go:
Spoiler

The only thing that seemed majorly out-of-character to me was
Spoiler

I'm glad we saw it in IMAX. It was quite an experience. We got in line about an hour beforehand to make sure we got good seats. While we were waiting, two men came in, one with a gold Star Trek shirt with a badge and everything, and the other with a blue one, to be like Kirk and Spock. Everyone clapped and cheered when they saw them. A boy about 8 or so years old in front of me had a white t-shirt with the badge symbol drawn on at the top left (his left) with permanent marker.

During the movie, everyone was very quiet, except for...my youngest brother :lol:. He is seriously the worst movie-watcher I've ever seen. But anyways... The audience was very quiet and attentive, except everyone would laugh here and there. One of the best moments was when Nimoy appeared.
Spoiler
We only saw the back at first, and after a suspenseful pause, he turned around and we could clearly see that it was the old Spock, and everybody cheered and clapped. Everyone applauded at the credits, too. That's the first time I've been to a movie with a whole bunch of other people who love the same thing. I'm glad I got to experience that.

I want to buy this movie when it comes out on DVD!

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
My mom who is a huge fan and I went and saw I have to admit it was good. It was fast paced all of characters were represented well to their originals. If anyone is complaing about it shut up it was good and thats a fact

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
It definitly feels different from previous Star Trek incarnations in it being more action-based. But that's not a bad thing; ST was in need of a rehaul if it was to avoid falling into some sort of cultural abyss.
I think it was a great movie. (Also I got to see it in Imax which was awesome and I got a free pin.)

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
I thought it was a really good movie. I had fun going to see it and I didn't feel like a total geek while doing it. I've been a Star Trek fan for years and I have to say, this movie was definitely no disappointment.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

I thought it was a really good movie. I had fun going to see it and I didn't feel like a total geek while doing it. I've been a Star Trek fan for years and I have to say, this movie was definitely no disappointment.

Well, I don't think anyone could call you a geek, considering almost everyone I know in high school has seen it or is planning to. And the ones who've seen it love it. It makes me happy. I am not the only Trekkie high-schooler around here anymore. :P

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
lol I've been a Trekkie since grade school! :unsure:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users