Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

SEGA are up to something.

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
..and it's not drug related either, sadly. I'm pretty sure they could do with some of that tho'.

No, what i'm refering to is this

So, yeah? wtf? SEGA making a Mario game or something? I highly doubt it but if you read that article it talks about being able to press the letters on the Takao Miyoshi Produce mushroom page and pressing the 'P' in produce plays a little jingle that sounds very 'mario-ish'.

Ok. The website will apparently reveal what it is in a few days time so until the end of the week let us bask in the glory of speculation.
I'm guessing after Mario and Sonic at the Olympics completely stormed the charts last year they're thinking of doing something Mario and Sonic related again knowing that it would be a great little earner. Just my two pence.

What you lot thinking?

-edit-
Apparently, TRAViS has already done some homework (according to SEGANerds, anyway).
It seems whatever the game is, it's going to contain sexuality and violence and currently has a 12+ rating.
Oh GOD, i am so hoping for a 'Conkers Bad Fur Day' kinda thing here! :)
Not gonna happen though as i can never see SEGA taking the piss out of their own creations. Ever.

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
I'm starting to wonder what SEGA are up to my guess its some kind of RPG with mushrooms in 8-bit style

Kichigai

Kichigai

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Apparently, TRAViS has already done some homework (according to SEGANerds, anyway).
It seems whatever the game is, it's going to contain sexuality and violence and currently has a 12+ rating.
Oh GOD, i am so hoping for a 'Conkers Bad Fur Day' kinda thing here! :D
Not gonna happen though as i can never see SEGA taking the piss out of their own creations. Ever.

If it's Sonic and Mario with the coloful taste of SuperJail.... I'd buy it~ :D

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
It's all so strange. Countdown clocks annoy the hell out of me too. You've got this mysterious pole/mushroom website and a countdown clock over here at Marvelous Entertainment that screams Zelda with the Triforce. Both these clocks count down to the same moment: 6 PM Eastern Standard Time (8 AM Tokyo) this Friday.

It's almost as if they want us to think that they got a hold of Nintendo IPs. I can't wait to find out what all this is really about; either way we're probably getting two new games. Hopefully they're actually games and not minigame compilations (damn you prope).

EDIT: But the CERO ratings on the pole site are really messing with me...

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
*Sigh* I'm so sick of these count down pages. They never tell us anything important and are almost universally dissapointing. I'm sure this will be no different. I'd even be willing to make a bet on it.

For some reason I have a gut feeling this has something to do with Harvest Moon.

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
In case anyone missed an of the clickable elements on the page, the T in Takao takes you to the "Let's Tap" page, the P plays a little 8 bit tune (it kind of sounds like something out of Wonderboy, but 8 bit tunes like these aren't usually very distinguished), clicking the red U in produce takes you to a page for a DS game that teaches calligraphy, clicking the mushroom plays a tune that sounds somewhat like the Mario 1-up tune, clicking the C in coming soon takes you to the "Let's Catch" page, and clicking the Sega logo plays the "SE-GA" sound (you know the one).

Unless this is a Mario/Sonic crossover platformer (which I doubt, because that wouldn't need some lame countdown to promote it), there is no way this game can meet the hype created by the speculation.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

Oh GOD, i am so hoping for a 'Conkers Bad Fur Day' kinda thing here!

"Sonic's Bad Quill Day"...
Hmm... Sega... Nintendo... sexuality + violence...
Meh... I'm thinking a parody game... meet Sonic/ Mario/ Zelda except heavily modified... (Something like Mario is a badass, Link is a scrawny mute weakling, Sonic's an over-hyped goofy animal on crack, and Peach is a busty scantily clad seductress...)
Run around as some new character killing various things using various weapons... guns, bats, swords, etc. in an action adventure scenario...
I'm going to stay intrigued in this awhile longer since this is a very odd concept for both companies...

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Well after playing Sega Superstar Tennis that mushroom kinda reminds me of the Space Harrier stage. Maybe it'll be a new game from that series? Although I wonder how violence fit into a game where you seemingly shoot jumping Mushrooms and floating stone heads... o.o

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
After doing some research on just who Takao Miyoshi is it seems his most notable works are Phantasy Star Universe and Phantasy Star Zero, though he has worked on other SEGA games like Chu Chu Rocket, Sonic Adventure DX and so on.

Hmm. Also, if it was anything remotely Nintendo related wouldn't the website need to have some legal statement and a Nintendo logo somewhere on it?

I kina agree with Zero on the fact that this creates massive hype and speculation and if SEGA are good at anything then it is making people talk, lol. A huge percentage of people checking that website are thinking it's something to do with Mario, even i thought so at first. Now i'm getting second thoughts and thinking maybe SEGA are just bringing back an old IP from the Master System or something.
Doesn't explain the Zelda style clock on that other website though. Marvelous Entertainment are responsible for the Harvest Moon games so why are they using the Tri-force images on their clock?

This is all very bloody weird, isn't it? o_O

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

This is all very bloody weird, isn't it? o_O

Definitely have to agree.

I'm personally wanting to say crossover game, but if there's no Nintendo logo anywhere I'm highly doubting it. Maybe they're reviving an old idea or concept that they had?

If I'm dividing right, the clock on Marvelous Entertainment has about 90.5 hours on it still (a little under). That's... what, about 3.8 days?

About the other one... I have no idea. T-T

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Yeah it is. Definitely one of the weirder ones.

For what it's worth, the Triforce symbol isn't strictly a Zelda icon. I know it's been around far a long time. You can see it Japanese temples and such. I want to say it's a Shinto symbol of fortune, but I'm not 100% on that. Take that as you will, but no way it's Zelda.

...crap, the marketing machine got me.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Dreamcast in 2009!!

No I'm just joking. It is all odd though. I noticed this story some days ago on seganerds but didn't take much interest in it but now after checking out the letters I'm getting pretty hyped... for something. P plays this odd tune. U takes you to some DS game. T takes you to Let's Tap's site. The mushroom is really weird and could possibly be there to throw you off. The "triforce" clock is really the more mysterious one though. Seriously wtf is up with that.

EDIT: The odd sound from the mushroom sounds like something from Zelda but I can't put my finger on it.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
It would be kind of funny if Sega was making a collection of 8-bit parody games, poking fun at Nintendo's classics.

I don't think the clock is all that Triforce-esque. But the mushroom definitly is trying to conjour feelings of Mario.

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
Well,Sega Has Unofically lost it,lol,but this seems intresting,Can't wait until the site pops up, :lol:

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
interesting. and the jingles are kinda catchy, too. (damn, where's my friend who's learning japaneese when I need her?)
anyway, let's just hope SEGA doesn't pull another "Shadow the Hedgehog" on us. Granted I liked that game, but it wasn't really Sonic...

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I'm beginning to think that the Tri-force clock has less to do with Zelda now if it is the creators of Harvest Moon that own that page.
The mushroom and stuff still baffles me. I was thinking of some of the old Master System games from waaaay back and i kept thinking Alex Kid, though i'm probably wrong. And i don't remember mushrooms in Alex Kid either.

I think what with the amount of speculation behind this now we're probably gonna be pretty dissapointed once the news is revealed. It's probably gonna be Prope promoting 'Lets Fart' or something or another ¬_¬

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

EDIT: The odd sound from the mushroom sounds like something from Zelda but I can't put my finger on it.

According to guys on the Sonic Stadium, that jingle sounds like the Mario 1-up sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hsh6Dwgac.

The site has been updated, now the mushroom turns red and there's Japanese text and something is said when you click on it.

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
On the SEGA ounter, it looks like the remaining time is somewhere around 10 hours, 45 minutes. HOWEVER! There's a 3 way off to the left after a bit of a gap. I'd assume they'd fill in the gap with a 0 or something, but... well, I don't know. I doubt the 3 is for days, because then it'd be right next to the hours. Does it mean three weeks? Three months?

I also can't see any of the letters other than the red 'u' that takes you to the U-can page.

If I hover over the mushroom, though, I can see a bunch of letters for a split second before the mushroom shrinks again.

On a screenshot, I can clearly make out "osh". Before it is a G, maybe a Y? After the "osh" there's part of a line that is probably an I (but it could be an L too). It makes me think "yoshi". On the bottom, I clearly see an S and possibly an O...

EDIT: Well, I'm smart. >.<" The text of what the page said is right on the Kotaku page. T-T

I'm still completely confused as to what SEGA's going for with this.

Dex la Cabra

Dex la Cabra

OVERLORD

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Becoming the Breakdance King.
perhaps space harrier related? there's mushrooms that bounce on it i assume, i only know it from sega superstars tennis :blink:

Lenneth

Lenneth

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
I mentioned that before as well, but nobody seems to have noticed it xD It has to be either Space Harrier or they're co-developing a new Mario game which would be kinda strange o.o

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
So, the site's been updated again, there's some stuff at the bottom, and it says something in Japanese when you click it. The mushroom also gets a lot bigger when you mouse over it.

Pyrii

Pyrii

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I very much doubt Prope are involved, which is a shame, considering they seem to be fostering some nice talent. So kotaku talking bull about Prope involvement as I can't see any yet.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
The site's been updated. We have officially been mindf**ked.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well. In just under two days we'll be a little more wiser. People are saying Space Harrier.... i'm beginning to think Space Harrier even though i've hardly played the game.

Probably gonna be Space Harrier.

7Force

7Force

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, anime
Might not be but maybe its a new Space Harrier game I seem to remember that game had mushrooms you could shoot, and besdies Tez Okano the director of ThunderForce VI said he wants to do a new Space Harrier game. Maybe he's co-producing it with Takao Miyoshi if it is a new Space Harrier game.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
All I can think of is some derranged Mario pardody...with jokes about magic mushrooms and the princess abounding...eek. You know those stupid parody films, the "Insert popular-yet-irrelevant-to-the-plot-(If you can call it that)-of-this. Movie" series (Scary Movie, Disaster Movie, Date Movie, etc.)? That, only in video game form, is what comes to my (demented) mind. My only concern is that this might be too much of a walk on the wild side for Sega. If this is a mario/sonic crossover, sonic would probably be in the countdown in some form, and it would be more tame. After Shadow crashed and burned, one would have hoped they'd leared their lesson about what should and shouldn't be in a game marketed toward kids.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
I doubt Space Harrier. The game's music/sound effects sound not at all similar to what is on the website. And while SH has mushrooms, they don't look at all like that one. I would love a new Space Harrier (or at least a console port of Planet Harriers) but I don't think that's what this is.

I could always be wrong though...

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Just think...
odds are in 2 days time... we're all going to say "Aw, this is crap they made a timer for this?" then this topic will die faster than Sonic can run...
I can't believe I actually got my hopes up for something like this even for a moment...

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Aww c'mon speculating is the fun part. Let's enjoy the glee of not knowing any better <3

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I agree.

On that note i'm returning my thoughts back to 'Conkers Bad Fur Day' style game. That way i KNOW i'll be dissapointed once the real game is actually revealed to be Lets Fart. :D

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
Lets Fart sound quite appealing xD

Maybe it's a game where you need to pick a bunch of "Special Mushrooms" to increase you "Psychedelic Energy" power gauge, using some useless wacky Wii-mote attachment, to defeat a giant Jalapeño based enemy that is trying to steal your natural Taco resources?

Maybe? >_>

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Maybe its a game where you need to pick a bunch of "Special Mushrooms" to increase you "Psychedelic Energy" power gauge, using some useless wacky Wii-mote attachment, to defeat a giant Jalapeño based enemy that is trying to steal your natural Taco resources?

Maybe? >_>

That'd be awesome in an incredibly odd way. XD

Only about 39.5 hours left on the Zelda-looking clock now...

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
http://www.seganerds...-game-revealed/

Game Over. Looks entertaining though.

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

http://www.seganerds.com/2009/01/21/takao-...-game-revealed/

Game Over. Looks entertaining though.

WiiWare. Amazing how that NEVER crossed my mind... *sigh*

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
True, i wasn't thinking WiiWare either.

I wonder how Nintendo feel about this, lol. XD;;

A game that makes references to ..er.. "man-weapons" was certainly NOT something i would have imagined from SEGA.
Does this mean they're also taking the piss out of their own games or are they just targeting Nintendo?

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

StarsOfCASSiOPEiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I've got to agree with that fact, certainly not what I was expecting... frankly, I'm not sure how to react to that one. :D

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
It definitely wasn't expected. I wanna hear more info on this game though. I wonder if it's really only for Japan.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
So....no Taco?

;_;

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
This is actually pretty close to what I was imagining!

I would have expected more than just one WiiWare title though. Isn't that abusing the "countdown page" concept?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
I told you all!!
I knew O_o I did... I knew o_O...
aaaaaaaaanyhoo...
I didn't expect Wiiware though...

I wonder if it's really only for Japan.

Considering the info currently on the game... I would say...
Yes... Japan only...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users