Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Journey of Dreams hacking stuff

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
291 replies to this topic

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
[deleted]

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
DAMN! OvO This is great stuff! Fantastic work and a great end to 2008 for me XD
Thankyou so much for sharing!

Christmas came late for JoD fans, hahaha.

I wonder why they changed Kevin to Will in the end sometimes. These little icons are brilliant to speculate over! :(

---

Actually, would NiGHTS' old costume skin still be in there? I don't think it was removed from the final version. Claris and Elliot + full dreamdrops was supposed to do a skin swap for 1996 NiGHTS too but on dualizing the game would crash so they scrapped it. I'm interested to see what the skin looked like if they'd fine tuned it at all.

---

PS:

But I swear my game tells me there's only 19 pictures of Nightopia

That is correct :D

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Wow, cool. Nice work.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
This is wicked! Thanks so much for finding this stuff. You're ace! New Years Eve just became even better. I love seeing stuff like this.

It's nice to see they were still using the name Kevin for a while there.
This is all interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure not a lot was removed, just buried over. I'm hoping NiGHTS' old costume is still in there. That would be an awesome find.

Once again, thanks for making this New Years Eve even more fantastic. This would certainly be a great start to 2009 for me.
Thanks for your hard work :(

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Wow! This is amazing work Kentilan! I love that there's unused stuff on there. I wish I could help out, but I was unsuccessful in trying to read the disc on my pc. If I can help out in anyway let me know.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
I love the icons! This is great stuff!

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I think that odd icon under the bubbles might represent that cage NiGHTS ends up trapped in at the beginning of almost every level. And that purple thing could be for hurricanes or tornadoes (as cruel as I know this is, I find the thought of Pians flailing about on the wind would be funny; anyone in Florida game for testing this next hurricane season if they get any? :D ).

I so want that starry sweetness as a desktop background... 0.0 *stares at the pretty starses*

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
[deleted]

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
I'll see if I can figure anything out about the compression, but it might be a bit over my head lol.

I've actually downloaded the ISO too but I don't know how to see the individual files. I can mount it on a virtual drive but when I access it I get the same errors I get if I just put the disc on my real drive. Are you using any special programs to see the individual files? Thanks.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Doesn't look like that to me... unless we're not talking about the same icon. The NiGHTS capture icon is under the jewels, not the bubbles. The weird icon I was talking about is on the 3rd row and 3rd column.

Oh, that boomerang/fan-looking thing. XDDD I mistook the jewels for bubbles and didn't look at the rest of the chart. ^^;;; *hits self repeatedly*

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I've actually downloaded the ISO too but I don't know how to see the individual files. I can mount it on a virtual drive but when I access it I get the same errors I get if I just put the disc on my real drive. Are you using any special programs to see the individual files? Thanks.

Yes, the data on a Wii ISO is encrypted, so you need a special software to decrypt it. I used Wiiscrubber to decrypt and extract all the files.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Ah! Thanks so much Kentilan!

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
you said you could get pictures from the sketchbook, kentalin?
if so, could you get me the drawn version of Cerberus? I can't find that picture of him anywhere, and it would be a nice reference to draw off of.
but it's just a request, not a demand. (actually, it's more like i'm down on my knees and begging here)

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Posted Image

This one?
But you know, this picture is actually already on the website, on the Concept Art page (though that one is in lower quality).
By the way... if you want more pictures of Cerberus, there's also these three pictures (1 2 3) (I think they appear in the soundtest and on the mission select screen).
Oh, and it's Kentilan, not kentalin :)

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
.... i think i've just noticed something, though correct me if you feel i'm wrong.
That unseen image of NiGHTS standing on top of the tower with the moon in the back ground, look closely at NiGHTS and you'll see he's not wearing his 'JoD Gloves'. I think he might have his 1996 costume on in that picture, perhaps. I wonder what that's about. o.o?

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Here is the list of files on the JoD disc for those that want to see it.

JoD_File_List.txt

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

.... i think i've just noticed something, though correct me if you feel i'm wrong.
That unseen image of NiGHTS standing on top of the tower with the moon in the back ground, look closely at NiGHTS and you'll see he's not wearing his 'JoD Gloves'. I think he might have his 1996 costume on in that picture, perhaps. I wonder what that's about. o.o?

That does indeed appear to be the 1996 outfit. Look aagain and you'll see many differences, such as the collar and vest. Perhaps that was a test for the look of the old costume if it were to be used along with Claris and Elliott...

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Misc.

Posted Image

These are the icons of the weather in My Dream as they appear in the diary. I've never seen the rainbow or the purple thing. Now, I don't check the diary that often, but I've never seen any rainbow in the garden, and I don't even know what the purple thing is supposed to be (doesn't mean they're not in the game, though).

Probably already been assumed, but maybe the purple icon is a tornado or hurricane since it looks similar to the hurricane symbol used in weather forcasting.

Posted Image

I was curious about what icon you may get fur a hurricane, maybe that's it? It also looks similar to Wizeman's nightmare portal he uses when he disrupts Nightopia. (Like in the Fluffy Catch mission)

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

Probably already been assumed, but maybe the purple icon is a tornado or hurricane since it looks similar to the hurricane symbol used in weather forcasting.

*Watches Pians get sucked away in a Hurricane*
"... dang, now what am I gonna eat?"
Great work with this btw... I envy your talents O_O

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
Well if it is a hurricane I can check the next time one comes my way

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Alright, I managed to crack the compression algorithm and I could find the files where the text and subtitles are stored. I also found a program which can extract the textures. I'll try to see if there's anything interesting there.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Cooool! Happy hunting! ^_^

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
I was looking through the txt file charlie supplied, it seems our frozen ice pians are just decoration and are not actual pians nor do they add to the population.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
[deleted]

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Okay, I really do wish to smack the developers on the back of the head for not giving this enough time to put these scenes in (but then, would even more cutscenes have annoyed people?).

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
Yay cutscenes...I actually like them. I say the games creators make the deleted scenes and put every cutscenes into "NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams: The Movie" and release it theatrically. ^_^

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Well, this doesn't surprise me. In the amount of time they had to release the game i knew they would cut stuff from the final product. I just didn't imagine major story elements like this were removed. What a waste.

So it seems there was to be more involvement from Reala then? How interesting.

Great work, Kentilan ^_^

I wonder if Julissa and the rest of the voice actors actually recorded these lines then but they were never used. Maybe i'll get in touch with her about it.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Wow, that's awesome stuff! I wish they'd kept some of those cutscenes. The game would've been a little fuller story-wise, I think. They gypped Reala a lot. Quite a shame. I can just picture him sneering down at Helen and NiGHTS from atop a glass throne in that castle as he says, "Welcome to my palace of glass." Maybe that's not exactly how it would've gone, but I'm sure whatever those cutscenes were was interesting. Kentilan, are the actual videos of the cutscenes still left on the disk, and if so, is it possible that you could post them on YouTube or something?

Lost in Dream

Lost in Dream

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Interests:The Panzer Dragoon Series, Legend of Zelda, NiGHTS, running around as a pirate on the beach
Some of theses scenes sound more indepth than the ones left in the game. Sometimes I was wondering if SEGA just liked jumping the plot around or if they cut important transitions to the story.

Kentilan

Kentilan

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
[deleted]

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
I like these scenes for the most part. It really does explain more about how they developed the characters a bit. I'm a bit disappointed they mentioned a Nightmare Tower in this though. Hmm...

However, I really wish they had left in Wizeman's extra scenes. (I love his voice to death!)

Thanks so much for your hard efforts! These are awesome!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
A Nightmare Tower? Haaahahaha!! Oh WONDERFUL! If only, SEGA. You cheep skates! :D
Oh well.

As far as these missing scenes go, we don't even get half of this. If you go and play the game that we've been given it hardly even goes into detail about the Ideya. This original script covers so much ground about the kids realising their problems and fixing their dreams. The game we play has us do things yet we're never fully told why we did have to do them. What point does it have with the story? It seems to save themselves time they just cut out the story elements that made it more indepth and SEGA gave us a half-finished game.

I never noticed it before but you're right, NiGHTS does say something along the lines of "Will, you wanted to see more of my power" and i don't remember Will ever asking anything like that. I've not played the game for a while now but i'm pretty sure that's true.

I'm really quite annoyed at the fact that they literaly removed over half the story just so they could release this bloody thing within the space of the year. We waited long enough for another game, the least they could have done was actually give us a finished product. I knew stuff was cut from the released game ...i just didn't think they tampered so much with the actual story. This is quite sad. I feel we were robbed.

SEGA need to stop giving themselves stupid deadlines all the time. It's the fans that miss out on stuff like this :(

Once again, Kentilan - thanks for your research into this. If you can then please keep going and see if there is anything else they cut from the game ^_^

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
These are among the best finds I've seen since I got here. The fact they left all this on the disc is both amazing and aggravating. Excellent work!

I can't help but wonder how much longer it would've taken to include all the cut content instead of rushing it to just barely get it out the door in time for Christmas 2007. I'll be watching this thread. After all, the more we find out about the NiGHTS dreamscape, so much the better!

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Wait a few years. Sega will more than likely release a special edition version and we'll see it all. Sonic Adentures one and two got special editions, Space channel5 got a special edition...sega loves those special editions.

I hope.

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Wait a few years. Sega will more than likely release a special edition version and we'll see it all. Sonic Adentures one and two got special editions, Space channel5 got a special edition...sega loves those special editions.

I hope.

Haven't you heard?! Sega is the new DiSNEY.

Besides that, I hope they release these scenes someday.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Besides that, I hope they release these scenes someday.

Maybe they will if they have enough "time." :lol:
On another note, has anyone noticed that the removed cutscenes seem to indicate that Journey of Dreams was intended to be a prequel for the first game? Reala mentions a few things, like:

How far do you plan to take this little
rebellion of yours, NiGHTS?

as if NiGHTS is just starting to act out against Wizeman.

charlie

charlie

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Apparently the ".brtex" files are the same format used in SSBB and so I found some tools that were created to convert these textures to ".tpl" then to ".tga". Unfortunately it's a two-step process and I can only do one file at a time so I can't quickly convert every file.

Here is what the ".brtex" files look like in the "\character\player\nights\" folder.

Posted Image

Edit: Here is one of the Reala textures too

Posted Image

Edit2: Here is one of the Chameleon cards (I almost said Jackle lol)

Posted Image

Maresuke

Maresuke

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
AWESOME!!!!

Can I hug you?

(Oh man the bats!)

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
Some really cool stuff here.

I bet I'm not the only one annoyed that it seems they never even considered including Ideya Capture missions (missions? ugh!). For a while I was thinking, "maybe it would have been a better game if they had more time to develop it", but no, they missed the point from the start. Even more cheasey and verbose cut scenes along with even more crap that isn't Ideay capture.

I am interested to see if there are an remnants of the Classic design in this game.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
Man, those are some awfully low-resolution textures. Practically Saturn quality if I had to guess.

And same format textures as used in SSBB? That means they probably used similar rendering engines, or more likely used the same devkit and libraries. Obviously Nintendo knows more about their own libraries than a third party would. But still, seeing just how much graphical potential was lost in the making of JoD...I'm not saying the game should wow us with fancy 21st-century special effects, but any extra steps made to further the visual enchantment that is NiGHTS should've been taken.

Keep it up! This is some great stuff we're seeing!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users