Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Creative questions and answers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Hi all - I have a couple of art related questions and could do with some help. Having seen some of the fantastic work on the creative part of these forums - I have become jealous. I loved to draw when I was younger but the truth is I am awful. However - I am willing to learn and was wondering if there is anyone out there willing to share some tips on getting started.

I have searched high and low on the net trying to find some good tutorials and what not but have found very few. Do any of you have any recommendations for drawing books? It is obvious that some of you here have worked hard to develop your artistic style and to be as good as you are, so any personal stories of how you developed that talent would be very much appreciated!!

Also - I know i'm not the only one who cant draw for crap, so anyone else who is struggling with getting their sketches not looking how they should, should post questions here too. Perhaps that way we can all improve - it'll be like art-attack but without that Neil Buchanan fella.

DARiA

DARiA

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:I love well-made fanart, drawings and well-written fanfics. I adore people who can be creative in a beautiful way (good artists, writers, singers etc). I like various anime shows, mostly shoujo and maho-shoujo. I also like reading books of fantasy-writers (Andre Norton, Phillip Pullman, Gart Nix etc). I like listening to rock or folk-rock music. I also love various pretty shiny things. I myself write and draw various fan things from time to time. And yes, I also love sleeping, dreaming and being lazy.
Erm, even though I'm not a good artist, can I reply please?

I think you'll find this site quite useful - http://www.mangatutorials.com/index.htm
Well, it's basically animestyle-related, but there is lot's of useful tips.

I'd recommended you another site with drawing lessons, but alas, they are all in Russian (

And, well, practice is the key to the mastery. Imagination is very important, too... So... practice-practice-practice! ^^"""

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
And imagine =D

My art teacher (well she will be next year but I talk to her now) once told me that anyone who can write their name can draw. Everything takes practice, as DARiA already said. I suggest going through a book with pictures, maybe one that uses your style or just something completely different, and just look at the pics. But look at how the lines connect, how the shapes are made, etc. Search for tuts, buy books (if you want to learn realistic drawing I suggest The Complete Guide to Drawing by Giovanni Civardi). The nice thing to learn about realistic drawing, with paying attention to drawing the details in the facial and anatomical details, is that you can then use that for developing your own style. Even manga and anime artist (and I'm talking the pros here) probably had to learn anatomy to an extent, shading for sure, and all that other stuff. Even if you dun use it, having the knowledge is always good.

I myself am starting to learn to draw more realistically, and it gives you a very different (but not bad) perspective. Tuts, books, and if you can outside classes are all good. But the main thing is to just practice, practice, and practice. (Tip- try sketching with pen and get use to not using an eraser if you can.)

Sorry if it's long winded. ^_^;

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Ooh, thanks for this! I doodle in school nonstop, but they're not much better than stick figures, which is discouraging. Alas, art is in my blood, as my mom's an art teacher and my grandmother makes lots of money painting people's portaits and giving lessons. So I keep doing it while I pour over tutorial books. This'll help, even if all they manage to get through to me is how to draw good eyebrows. XD

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
I'm self-taught as well; as you said looking at pics from pros helps A LOT. I say art books as in the ones for serious learning that covers the basics, tells of the anatomy, etc, all actually drawn out. Giovanni is good because every picture, example, lineart, etc, in his books are drawn by him so you get a better feel for the lines. But I also look through books with pictures of Van Gogh's stuff, and other artist.

But as you already said, doodling and practice is what it all comes down. Though I don't recommend it, excessively, during school classes XD;;

Lunar

Lunar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Actually, good books help. The key is making a good combination of lit. and real life to fit yourself as an artist. Some people, books work a bit more then real life, for others drawing from eye works better. But you can draw from eye with a book too. I don't mean do the whole 'Draw a circle for the body, then add a curved line for here, blah, blah' cause I can't stand those either. If anything looking at a book on manga, or still life, or whatever to just get a feel for the lines and shading, will help you. The more you do and the more you try the better you get, is what I've always seen to work well.

Alanora

Alanora

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Getting into trouble, music, games, more music, being lazy, hanging out with friends, drawing, collecting NiGHTS drawings, poking people with pointy sticks for the fun of it
I've actually been attempting to learn drawing myself. I also didn't know what to start, so I picked a subject I liked (NiGHTS). And went to work at it. What I did was go over a whole lot of art from various artists for NiGHTS, and then I picked a couple for reference. I spent time sketching what I could see, then giving both pics a good look over. Search for mistakes in the one I made, and fix em. Then do it with another. I still do sketches from reference, but I'm finally getting to where I can do a simple drawing of NiGHTS without a reference. It just takes time, and a whole lot of practice. Note, drawing from reference is not copying. You simply draw it as you see it. No tracing.

I also go to a painting session once a week at the local art place. They don't teach in that class, but the artists there are always more than willing to give tips and stuff. They let me watch how they do something, and I learn from what I see. I haven't learned to paint yet, I'm still trying to learn with a pencil. But, we often have a live model there to work with. Believe me, that helps a whole lot. Portraits are really hard, but if you can get the hang of the perspective and shading? You're set. Fanart is really simple compared to a portrait.

Anyway. I'm still learning myself. But that is how I'm currently learning to do it, so I hope that helps.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
Everyone is always learning how to draw, the key thing is not to be discouraged from it.

Practice always helps.

Myself, I like to use books to help with tips like posing and backgrounds, but otherwise I say 'meh' and draw what I feel like. Points that have influenced my drawing style are things like my changing interests (cartoons, games, movies, books), finding amazing artwork in a certain comic *coughSTCcoughTRiPPY'sstuffcough*, having a Japanese penfriend (who stopped writing three years ago ^_^), watching too much anime, doodling in school, becoming obsessed with drawing catgirls, and so on. Mainly a fanartist me, with my art as a mixture of multiple styles :P

As for how to draw, I try doing basic, unshaded pictures first, gradually working onto shading them as I become more confident in drawing them, then colours.

And I'm working on improving my realistic stuff. Though I'm not gonna burn the eyes of anyone with it until I get the hang of it XD

I still have trouble with backgrounds though, so if anyone can help me with that it'd help. It's the perspective that throws me I think. And textures.

And in question for drawing books that you posted in the first post, captain boombatty, I use these ones. Mainly because I'm trying to get better at fantasy type artwork, but also because they have good info on posing and stuff.

Drawing and Painting Fantasy Beasts by Kevin Walker.
Drawing and Painting Fantasy Worlds by Finlay Cowan.
Anatomy for Fantasy Artists by Glenn Fabry.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
Life drawing is the single most useful art thing you can ever do. Find a class and go.

Also, Loomis' stuff is fantastic, and will stop you getting caught in a manga-centric rut. Fun With A Pencil is a fantastic start for anyone.

http://alexhays.com/loomis/

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Also, Loomis' stuff is fantastic, and will stop you getting caught in a manga-centric rut. Fun With A Pencil is a fantastic start for anyone.

http://alexhays.com/loomis/

Cheers for the link - Just had a quite look through and there seems to be some great stuff there thanks!

Thanks for everyones tips and advice - it has been very helpful. With any luck I will be able to start a thread in the forum with some of my own sketches soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users