Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Super Sonic Sculpt

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
No real ones exist, which is good motivation..

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm still working on refining it; it's made of super sculpey, the next step is to bake it, then paint.. I'd also like to make a mold of it, ideally..

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Might I say that is really awesome!

Anything you did with the legs to keep the top from wanting to crumble them?

Lady Spritzy

Lady Spritzy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Games. On WoW, I'm Yetalis on Malfurion, with a full stable o' pets. On Skype, I'm lady_spritzy. Look for me on Gaia as Lady Spritzy. I'm a Sonic fan first, but NiGHTS is a close second. But then again, is there really any difference between the two?
what kind of paint would you use on that? (i'm kind of 3-D artisically challenged. but I'm still intrigued)

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Geez, the endless talent that you people seem to posses... you ppl never fail to amaze me...
I would get too frustrated with making the darn thing and destroy it in the most satisfying way...
but that's why your the artist :rolleyes:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Answers:

I used armature wire in the legs, neck, and even inserted into the feet to add weight.. I have some in the base of his tail, and I'll have to use some thin wire in his nose, for some necessary support, I reckon

I plan to use Liquitex acrylics, they are workable on any porous surface. I recommend them.

And also, thanks for the comments ^-^

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Pretty awesome, I say!

Handy Candy

Handy Candy

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Kicking fish, food (which is f'in important), and drawing...stuff.
Woo :lol: That looks super cool! I guess it's free-standing? It must be hard to get it to be free standing. Legs and joints tend to crack over time with sculpey @_@ So if it comes out good after baking, maybe making a mold and a sturdy resin version of the figurine will be longer lasting.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Yeah, he can free stand, but of course any small change in balance and he's down. The trick is getting the gesture to look like how I want while retaining balance. I'm gonna continue to refine him using the Unleashed intro as reference. I love how he looks in that. I want to cast him for those reasons (I'd consider even just painting the cast and leaving the original clay in a box or something); I hope the cast would be balanced.. I've been pondering what angle would be wisest to set the mold, which would have to be 2 part. It sucks that the compound has such a short shelf life, since we have a good supply but it was open a while ago..

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Ch-ch-ch-changes..
Posted Image
Posted Image
Moving along..

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I hate to tell you, but it's very likely that to make a mold you'd need to destroy the original. At least that's what I gather from what I've learned about making . Of course, cosplay could be a completely different ballpark from statues. Either way, I know Alginate is frequently used in mold-making and isn't too hard to come by.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I've made molds before, in small quantities, with small parts; we have/had a 2 part compound where you basically cover the original part in a non-stick solution, then there's the blue rubber part that forms the mold, then when that cures, you remove the piece and pour in the mixed pastic/resin solution. I've just never used it with a clay part before so I'd hope it'd take the anti-stick stuff okay. But I figure there's no need for any hard to come to the original model. Thanks for the info though.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Wow, that's really good! It looks like an official Sega-made figure almost.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Wow, that's really good! It looks like an official Sega-made figure almost.

Trying to get beyond that ''almost'' ;)

Currently smoothing out the rough edges. Need to get back in gear..

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!
That is awsome. BUT! You've prompted me to sing-

Everybody Super Sonic Sculpting
Gotta keep your clay right on the ground
When you're Super Sonic Sculpting
There's no time to look around
With just Super Sonic Sculpting
Model to the point of no return
Come on let the fire burn
Everybody, Everybody, Everybody

But wow, that's sculpty? That's really great. If you do make a mold, a change of paint could easily make it Shadow! ;)

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

That is awsome. BUT! You've prompted me to sing-

Gotta keep your clay right on the ground
When you're Super Sonic Sculpting
There's no time to look around
With just Super Sonic Sculpting
Model to the point of no return
Come on let the fire burn
Everybody, Everybody, Everybody

But wow, that's sculpty? That's really great. If you do make a mold, a change of paint could easily make it Shadow! ;)

:lol: :lol: awesome, that works perfectly. I'm gonna keep that running in my head when I work on him

The way I had it at first was more like Shadow, sorta bent-y.. I guess one way they look different (at least by now) is Supe's spines are more streamlined

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
  • Interests:Punk, New Wave, horror movies, German Expressionism, cabarets, exotica. Long live VHS!

;) :lol: awesome, that works perfectly. I'm gonna keep that running in my head when I work on him

The way I had it at first was more like Shadow, sorta bent-y.. I guess one way they look different (at least by now) is Supe's spines are more streamlined

The sad part is I knew the whole song from memory. yeah. I like Sonic R waaaayyyyy too much. :lol:

If you do like Shad, you could always make one mold, and then while the clay is still moldable, you could bend the spines for a different character.

Keep up the (Fabulous) work!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Nice sculpture viper and nice song Nocturne lol. I like how Super Sonic's just chilling in his bboy stance.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Although you're very far along and it looks wonderful, have you considered using one of those plastic figurines as a guide to keep it on model? That could go one of two ways- It could really help, or you'd end up going all OCD trying to make them look the same. :P

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Although you're very far along and it looks wonderful, have you considered using one of those plastic figurines as a guide to keep it on model? That could go one of two ways- It could really help, or you'd end up going all OCD trying to make them look the same. :P

My reference thus far consists of a few stills I took of SuperSonic in the Unleashed intro with my phone, lol. It's actually made me notice how wonky the Resaurus Sonic is in places, while still being the best sculpt available for Sonic toys (outside the import sculpts they sell at Play Asia and such). They have to compromise in certain aspects for production to be viable, I suppose.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Well, took me long enough to get back on this.. but I finally did.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
Oh my gosh! Wow! The paint really makes it look good (I guess because you can see his expression, now). Great job!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
It looks so badass. Really good sculpting. I have to wonder though. Did you just post these pictures of an old finished project or did it literally take you almost two years to finish this? I can't imagine someone leaving an unbaked sculpture just hanging around and it not getting messed up or smooshed. Not unless it was baked already and you just didn't paint it. That would make sense.

kurosen

kurosen

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

It looks so badass. Really good sculpting. I have to wonder though. Did you just post these pictures of an old finished project or did it literally take you almost two years to finish this? I can't imagine someone leaving an unbaked sculpture just hanging around and it not getting messed up or smooshed. Not unless it was baked already and you just didn't paint it. That would make sense.

Hehehe, you don't know viper very well... If you saw his studio :(

Great job on finally finishing it, chief :mellow:

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts

Heh, nope, I left it unbaked, hesitant to bake it lest some mistake reveal itself that I could have fixed. I kept it protected. Of course this was foolish as the clay dried out a bit, so I had to then fix cracks here and there. Had to putty a couple spots after baking too. And now I was too scared to sand it in places in case it broke, lol.

Noctourne Wonderland

Noctourne Wonderland

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts
Great job!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users