Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nintendo Wii

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Click here and here for the details.

So, who else here is pissed off about this? >_>

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
I AM! VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAMES NEED THOSE CONTROLERS! well,the 3d ones do,and so do gamecube games,good thing i gotta gamecube controler,but then again,this doesn't mean you won't be able to get a gamecube controler at least,the gamecube controler i have is a 3rd party controler,and i dont think they won't stop selling 3rd party gamecube controllers,but i'm really mad about this!

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
The first link didn't work for me.

Let's see if I get this right... It's not the Wiimote and Nunchuck that are banned, but the Classic and the Gamecube ones. Since Nintendo no longer makes the latter, the ban's basically just for the Classic Controller AND the ban's on hold while the company appeals to the US court.

I wonder what Anascape does. Apparently they've sued Nintendo in the past as well as Microsoft, but aside from that I can't find anything about them.

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
This is total BS. :(

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

The first link didn't work for me.

Okay then, time for some not-so-delicious copypasta:

Nintendo Wii: Banned in the USA?
By Matt Peckham, PC World

"No, I'm not kidding, it's not a gratuitous headline hit-grabber, Nintendo is in fact facing a serious ban on several of the controllers for the Wii as well as GameCube after it lost its legal bid to scuttle a $21 million patent-infringement verdict.

Microsoft was also on the hook at one point, but settled before trial. Nintendo went to trial and lost, and on June 26, District Judge Ron Clark (U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas) denied Nintendo's claim that the $21 million payment to Anascape was excessive. Clark also threw out Nintendo's bid for a new trial. He is supposed to issue his ban today.

Blame Anascape Ltd. Or blame Nintendo. Or just blame luckless entropy if you think it's all just some great big coincidence.

What's Anascape? Some firm in Texas without a searchable Web page, for one. Also the owner of patents 5,999,084 ("variable conductance sensor"), 6,102,802 ("game controller with analog pressure sensor"), 6,135,886 ("variable conductance sensor with elastomeric dome cap"), 6,208,271 ("remote controller with analog button"), 6,222,525 ("image controller with sheet connected sensors"), 6,343,991 ("game control with analog pressure sensor"), 6,344,791 ("variable sensor with tactile feedback"), 6,347,997 ("analog controls housed with electronic displays"), 6,351,20 ("variable conductance sensory"), 6,400,303 ("remote controller with analog pressure sensor"), 6,563,415 ("analog sensor with snap through tactile feedback"), and finally, 6,906,700 ("3D controller with vibration").

Did you really just read through all of that? I'm sorry.

But glancing at a few of those, you can kind of see where the issue(s) might be, whether you come down on the side of "to heck with all this silly anticipatory patent law" or all the way over on the other end with a hearty "to heck with Nintendo flouting all that silly anticipatory patent law." Or something.

Here's the skinny on what it actually affects:

The GameCube or WaveBird controllers, which Nintendo no longer makes.
The Wii Classic Controller (Nintendo's Charlie Scibetta says the company will still be able to sell it pending Nintendo's appeal).

Here's what it doesn't:

The Wii Remote (unless paired with the Wii Classic Controller)
The Wii Nunchuk

How will Nintendo get out of this one? They'll have to either post a bond or put royalties in an escrow account to avoid a sale halt, according to Anascape's lawyer Doug Cawley. Nintendo of course plans to appeal the verdict, claiming it didn't use Anascape's technology.

Would someone just get on with it and put us out of our misery by patenting the universe already?"

I laughed at that last line. xD

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

who the hell is Anascape, really? And why do they have patents for products they're obviously not making?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Welcome to the world. Everybody wants to f*** you.

*sigh* this is f*!*ing pathetic. Seriously now.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
Actually its mostly just the US that likes to screw people over. WE ARE SO SPECIAL! HUR! T_T

Sooo......can we just buy Japanese ones and they will work or no? God this sucks! I am glad I have these but sooner or later they will break. f***.....

I don't understand the deal with the Classic controller though. That baffles me!

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
Hooray for greedy mother f***ers!

This is certainly obnoxious, but I don't think it will be a huge deal. The Wii and DS have made Nintendo so much money. They're pockets are deep enough to buy themselves out of this.

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
This is the most retarded thing i have seen in ages....

Nintendo needs to go Ninja on all their mofo asses.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
What in the world...? "Nintendo clogging the market" my butt. Microsoft and Sony are doing the same thing, just not as much. How could Microsoft get out of this one while Nintendo can't? I guess only because they had so much cash in their billion-dollar company that they decided to just pay up. Seriously, this is ludicrous! With all those patents that company has, almost every game controller would be an infringement: "remote controller with analog button," seriously?! This is like putting a patent on soap! Controllers need analog!

Metaria

Metaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

How could Microsoft get out of this one while Nintendo can't? I guess only because they had so much cash in their billion-dollar company that they decided to just pay up. Seriously, this is ludicrous! With all those patents that company has, almost every game controller would be an infringement: "remote controller with analog button," seriously?! This is like putting a patent on soap! Controllers need analog!

Microsoft didn't get out of it. Neither did Sony. They just decided to settle it out of court/grant licenses to Anascape instead of going like Nintendo and duking it out in court. (This makes Nintendo's case look weak, as they decided to fight rather than kowtow to Anascape.)

Somehow, this situation reminds me of that one guy that realized that AT&T hadn't copyrighted their logo, copyrighted it under his own name, and sued them for millions of dollars in copyright infringement. It's stupid, really.

And is Anascape really legit, anyway? I've never heard of them, searching for them hasn't brought much luck, and somehow they've managed to score patents that have been in public circulation since analog controllers were developed.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
They didn't even invent analog controllers, did they? There should be a law: You can't put a patent/copyright on something you didn't come up with yourself. That would solve so many people's problems.

But, getting serious, is there anything we can do? Besides make a mad dash to the stores to buy those endangered controllers now while we can and then boycott all of that company's products?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Son-of-a... you couldn't find Anascape because it doesn't actually HAVE a website... but from what little I have gathered it seems to be some kind of gaming company... yet I cannot find any info on any games they made let alone ANY ACCOMPLISHMENT THEY'VE MADE IN THEIR PATHETIC LIFETIMES! However, fact still says they won this case... morons... they're simply Patent Trolls... this would be a quick and easy way for them to get some cash for whatever project they're starting up... in the end though, once Anascape makes it's move on the market... IDK about you guy's but I'm not buying that crud...
I'd rather smack this brat child of a companie's hand right now with a personal boycott...

Metaria

Metaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I was in Target not three hours ago looking through the Wii accessories and didn't find any of the classic controllers. So either they're all sold out (like everything else I ever need in that blasted store) or Nintendo's already pulled the controllers from the market. Was that one of the terms of the settlement?

Great. I can see a black market for classic controllers popping up.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Oh goody. America is just so damned special, isn't it? XD Too bad I never got aroudn to buying myself a Classic controller. T___T

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
What about people who don't even have a Wii yet? What are they going to do? Also, maybe people are going to get a lot of controller converters or something now.

I am sure Nintendo can pay this off. I don't think the amount they are suing for is really going to be THAT much of a burden. I mean it will hurt but...I mean come on!

Also, won't they have to find a new way to sell those types of controllers. They can't just say, "Sorry but you can't play these games now."

Can you use the Japanese controllers or no?

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

I was in Target not three hours ago looking through the Wii accessories and didn't find any of the classic controllers. So either they're all sold out (like everything else I ever need in that blasted store) or Nintendo's already pulled the controllers from the market. Was that one of the terms of the settlement?

Great. I can see a black market for classic controllers popping up.

I just bought a Classic Controller from a GameStop here in Virginia (just to be safe in case my rowdy brothers break the one we have :lol:). The cashier didn't even mention anything going on with the controllers. So, I think they're still safe for now. After all, as long as Nintendo has a chance to appeal, the ban can't be in effect, right? I think it has to wait until Nintendo gives up or all appeal options have been exhausted.

I do think Nintendo will pay it off if it comes to it, though. They just can't give up such a big chunk of their market. They'd end up with more money in the long run if they kept their hand in the American analog market. After all, after this generation of consoles they're definitely going to make more analog controllers for their next system.

Whatever happens, though, I'm with you, Saifer: boycott on Anascape!

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Whatever happens, though, I'm with you, Saifer: boycott on Anascape!

There's one problem with that: Anascape doesn't make anything. They just got some bullshit patents and started suing controller manufactures. They have more in common with a law firm than a electronic company. This reminds me of that company that has a patent on hanging an off balance shaft on an electric motor (aka, rumble).

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
They're planning on trying to make controllers, though, and that's why they're suing in the first place, because they know they'll have a hard time competing against the 3 big companies.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
They're supposed to be a gaming company so the gaming community will get plenty of opportunities to say no to their games or controllers or whatever they're making...
... wait a sec... that could be the idea! They'll probably make 3rd party controllers for the wii that replace the classic and the gamecube controller! maybe I'm jus paranoid...
either way I'm sure Nintendo will find a way outa this... possibly make another type of controller that feels better then the classic or something? (I personally find the new classic controller to feel a tad off) or more likely pay it off... so I don't think we have too much to worry about.
I jus wanna make sure Anascape goes outa business, or pretty soon others will give this a shot...

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
*sips tea*

So, seeing as how this is the only place I've posted this info, has anyone seen stuff like this on any Nintendo forums?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
*sips tea*

If you search the net you will find info on this atrocity all over the net... try a google search on Anascape and let me know if you find anything other than this topic anywhere on the net... I could literally find no other info on this company other than the fact they sued Nintendo...
Smashing tea btw...

Metaria

Metaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I can only find that they sued Nintendo, and that they're in Texas. And Texas courts are an entirely different universe. So that might explain why they've managed to screw Nintendo over.

Hey...Anascape's apparently based in Tyler, and going to court in Lufkin (south of Tyler, on highway 69.) I've never been there, but I know the general area. Road trip! >D *starts making protest signs*

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

*sips tea*

If you search the net you will find info on this atrocity all over the net... try a google search on Anascape and let me know if you find anything other than this topic anywhere on the net... I could literally find no other info on this company other than the fact they sued Nintendo...
Smashing tea btw...

http://www.nationmas...opedia/Anascape

Does I win a prize? =D

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
Oh, yes, you deserve a prize! ...And I would give you one if I had one to give, but I don't, so your prize is going to have to be praise. Well done! You are crowned king/queen of internet searching! ^_^ Thanks a bunch! Now we might be able to see what they've been up to.

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
And since we know where they are now, lets send anyone we know that lives in Texas to picket outside there building! >:3

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
They blocked their archived site with robot.txt or whatever. Before I got around to seeing it. Did anyone manage to get a peek?

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

http://www.nationmas...opedia/Anascape

Does I win a prize? =D

meh... unfortunately, there's nothing here that I haven't already mentioned... But gj anyway :D
All this searching and all we know is that it's a game company in Texas...
heck we don't even have a freakin date for Anascape's creation... wait WHAT THE???

The companies slogan is "Anascape - The Analog Landscape of the Future!!!"

"The Analog Landscape of the Future"? Come on!
With a slogan like that this company deserves to burn...

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
That controller has been out for the longest time and now they decide to sue? Lemme guess, they got jealous of the Wii's huge success so they bitch and sue Nintendo. All I'm getting from this pathetic company is that they create patents just so they sue people for it. They don't give a damn about gaming and if I ever see their products in a store I will toss it to the ground and just run out lol. I can't stand business that do this to already proven, successful companies just because they want more cash. The greedy cockfags.

I can see it now:

*random person going down an empty street
Controller Dealer: Hey... I gots them GCubes, them Wavebirds, and them classics man.
Random Person: What?
C. Dealer: Make it quick. I don't want 5-0 busting my ass.
Police: You are under arrest for distributing illegal goods. Put the controllers on the ground and put your hands on your head.
C. Dealer: You'll never take me alive! *takes out Zapper*

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Well hopefully the courts find the patents too obscure to be valid - like the site Cruithne found says - and hands the win over to Nintendo, thereby crushing this patent-happy thing that has actually taken down its own website for no apparent reason aside from not letting people look at it before it gets to be a virulent plague on the gaming industry.

What I'd like better would be if the 'invents or discovers' part is taken in its most literal sense - one must have something physical or blueprinted by themselves and noone else to file a patent - so that people can stop saying 'oh I'll just patent this even though it doesn't exist and I haven't even the faintest clue how to go about achieving it myself'. I think if they haven't even got blueprints of what they're patenting, they have clearly not done the work that would make them deserving of the patent.

Although... if that patent goes up for grabs like it will if that's the ruling, we're gonna be seeing a mad scramble for companies to repatent the thing first, and then another wave of aggressive lawsuits... 0-0;;; Perhaps it's better that some miscellaneous little company that depends entirely on royalties for their revenue owns the patent rather than any company big enough to crush all the competition by hogging it all to itself.

It's certainly not fair, but it probably works out better in the long run.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
Like it or not the world is full of idiots!
buuuut at least they make the world abit more interesting...
which is also why we need warning labels like this

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Like it or not the world is full of idiots!
buuuut at least they make the world abit more interesting...
which is also why we need warning labels like this

The fact that we have to put "Caution! Hot!" on our coffee cups gets me even more since a women was able to win a lawsuit about that.....

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Don't forget those chainsaw warning labels lol

Cruithne

Cruithne

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

*random person going down an empty street
Controller Dealer: Hey... I gots them GCubes, them Wavebirds, and them classics man.
Random Person: What?
C. Dealer: Make it quick. I don't want 5-0 busting my ass.
Police: You are under arrest for distributing illegal goods. Put the controllers on the ground and put your hands on your head.
C. Dealer: You'll never take me alive! *takes out Zapper*

I loled.

Then I made this using the combined powers of Paint, stealing your lines (hope you don't mind), and having nothing better to do =D:

Posted Image

Wut? .-.

Jackle has to do something now that he's not a henchman anymore. >.>;;;

>_>

<__<

*brick'd for off-topicness*

striker0

striker0

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Well this hasn't changed much. Still into video games, anime, and cooking. Gotten into gunpla very heavily in the past couple years, as well as other things.
Anascape you say?
I do live in Texas, and I'm curious to see if this place does exist. Since a address is posted on that article, I might be inclined to check it out, though it's on the other side of the state. And yeah, the Texas court system blows donkey nuts. What I find surprising about all of this, is that the courts haven't said anything to Anascape to prove that they have the patents.

Metaria

Metaria

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted Image

I rofl'd.
I popped the street address into Mapquest and got a location, so it is a real address (I wouldn't have been surprised if it was bogus, with what we've seen with these guys so far...)

It would take me 5 hours to get there @_@ But if it gets some answers, I can do it. For great justice!

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

I loled.

Then I made this using the combined powers of Paint, stealing your lines (hope you don't mind), and having nothing better to do =D:

http://i48.photobuck...rollercomic.jpg

Wut? .-.

Jackle has to do something now that he's not a henchman anymore. >.>;;;

>_>

<__<

*brick'd for off-topicness*

Perfection lol nice Paint skills too

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
Check out this. Apparently, this has been going on for two years.

::NiGHTS::lover

::NiGHTS::lover

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the Hedgehog games, NiGHTS, Pokemon games, NiGHTS, KH2, ferrets, cats, dogs, NiGHTS, Reala, Jackle...
;A; I still needed to get a Classic controller!!! A few months ago I saw a store selling them...but that was in Indiana D:
This sucks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users