Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

So who's keeping sane then?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Like Lavos, I have jumped the bandwagon a bit late myself. Though I would love to get a feel of what you guys have been through with NiGHTS.

(Darnit, why isn't there an RP on it? I wants my some Role-Play!)

*ahem* excuse me.... >.>;;

I don't think you want Sega to make a RP....Oi the plotholes and plot bunnies. That and I assure you they will would ruin NiGHTS with in-depth story line.

Nellie Francis

Nellie Francis

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

I don't think you want Sega to make a RP....Oi the plotholes and plot bunnies. That and I assure you they will would ruin NiGHTS with in-depth story line.

That wasn't what I was talking about... You see... I really meant the forum... and all that stuff... [/stapler-guy ramble]

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

That wasn't what I was talking about... You see... I really meant the forum... and all that stuff... [/stapler-guy ramble]

OHHHHH! Ok thats different. I remember TRiPPY had plans for one but never got around to it. And I was in one before...but one joined and it stunk.

Zero-Shift

Zero-Shift

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Interests:Nerdy stuff.
I've been with NiGHTS since the beginning, so I'm one of those people who have been waiting for 11 years. Also, the original NiGHTS is my favorite game period. Needless to say, the announcement had me so excited I blared techno and danced for a half hour.

I'm looking forward to the game, but truth be told, I'm entirely expecting the game to suck. That's how I'm staying sane. That way if the game bombs, I won't be disapointed, if the game is satisfactory, I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if the game is about the same quality as the original, I'll be blown away. I really think it's the best state of mind. I still voiced my concerns to Sega.

Still, there are a few things which tell me the development team is on the right track. That they're keeping the 2.5D gameplay and adding the Persona masks tells me that they don't want to mess with gameplay that works while still injecting a little innovation so as to avoid the game feeling like a rehash. Also, imagining NiGHTS turning into a Dolphin makes me imagine gameplay segments that play like Ecco.

Audio is a similar story. Getting the original composer is no doubt a good move. I'm really looking forward to more of those jazzy boss tunes. It would be really cool if the music was played by a live orchestra. As for other bands, while I wouldn't put it past Sega, I doubt they'd put Crush40 in this game. However, I wouldn't be totally against Julien-K maybe doing a Reala boss theme, but then again I'm a little biased since I love Orgy.

Side note: I liked Meteor Herd sans lyrics. It sounds like Funk to me.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Needless to say, the announcement had me so excited I blared techno and danced for a half hour.

I'm looking forward to the game, but truth be told, I'm entirely expecting the game to suck. That's how I'm staying sane. That way if the game bombs, I won't be disapointed, if the game is satisfactory, I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if the game is about the same quality as the original, I'll be blown away. I really think it's the best state of mind.

Side note: I liked Meteor Herd sans lyrics. It sounds like Funk to me.

1. Yes Techno rocks!

2. That is a good way to think of it.

3. Meteor Heard is a heck of a lot better than Ghost Pumpkin Soup....what kind of name is that anyway!?

Guest_Shark_*

Guest_Shark_*
  • Guests

1. Yes Techno rocks!

2. That is a good way to think of it.

3. Meteor Heard is a heck of a lot better than Ghost Pumpkin Soup....what kind of name is that anyway!?

Same as Limp Biskits "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water"?

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD
You're a load of pessimists! I have faith~! One of the reasons I DIDN'T send an email off is because I have faith in this being something good~ I really don't think something this important would be messed up. A lot of hopes are being pinned on this - both the fans and the makers want this to be amazing. With so much resting on this sequel I really can't even see the possibility of us getting a sub-par game.

The only thing I'm not hugely impressed with so far is the graphics - I expected something a bit more wow than what they're offering. That said, the new NGamer scans showing that scene of the beach and shipwreck made me draw a breath of excited anticipation... it looks really good.

I mean come on! >u< I love the idea of these mask things - flying round sh!t-fast as a dragon and a dolphin and a rocket?! A rocket!!! Hell yeah! XD

In a nutshell:
Gameplay is the most important feature to me. Characters and storyline are nice but dispensable in my mind. Although I would like to see the new characters, Reala returning and a deeper plot and such, if they don't live up to expectations I could blank them out if the gameplay was good. I'm not massively arsed about music to tell the truth. It's the same with the characters, if it's done badly I can just let it wash over, if it's done well I'll appreciate it.

I'm really excited about playing as a rocket. I really am.

Guest_Shark_*

Guest_Shark_*
  • Guests

both the fans and the makers want this to be amazing.

Remember who the makers are. These are the same people who claim they want all games to be amazing. These are the people who claimed they wanted Sonic Next, and Sonic and the Secret Rings to be amazing. On top of that, REMEMBER WHO THE MAKERS ARE! As much as I'm forcing myself to believe this game could be good, deep down inside me knows, that considering who the makers are, and their track record recently, this game is doomed the moment they told themselves, "Lets make a new NiGHTS game and make it crappy so all those dumb fans will get off our backs for a sequel, and lie to them about us wanting to make the game amazing so they will believe it, just like they believed it with all the other crappy games we said were amazing!". I sometimes wonder why someone else there doesn't just ask the question I want to know,"So...why do we make crappy games on purpose?"

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Same as Limp Biskits "Chocolate Starfish and the Hotdog Flavored Water"?

WTF?! lol

Oh and for wyldflowa, being a pessimists is who I am. Haha. No seriously, people are just worried because Sonic was important too yet look what happend to him. :( Poor thing...he may never recover...

As for being a rocket, yes that sounds like fun. It was the cloud and eagle idea that worried me...(oh no more bobslead NiGHTS.)
Also, I didn't send an e-mail in because I didn't find out about the whole thing until a day too late. lol

(Also something I wanted to mention, the other day I was at Buffalo Wild Wings and they have little trivia games you can play on the TV. I did a touble take when I noticed the screen flash, "The winner of Round 4 is...SELPH." Huh? I guess that can be short for someones name...I think...)

--Edit--
To answer you question Shark, they make crappy games because they are rushed all the time. They need a new big Sega title every friken Christmas!

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Mmm... the thing I'm most worried about is the plot. And the oldbie bosses not being around. I can't really compare this to what I thought of ShtH, since I never beat that game. ^^; (Really wanna compare it to the TMNT movie now, since it had amazing visuals, a kinda-rushed plot and the old villains were gone.) I wonder what kind of minions they'll have...?

And yes, Japanese Kenshin voice would be good for NiGHTS. You've got me imagining him saying "oro" now and it's hilarious. XD *brainchild* GAH. If there are voices (though I'm kinda hoping there are just hints of voices), they need to get the Zophis lady to be Reala! O_O

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__-bkeEUI <-- He starts talking at 2:35 (and the scene ends around 4:00)... that would be so awesome!

EDIT: Also. What's all this about Reala getting promoted? What what? o.o

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

EDIT: Also. What's all this about Reala getting promoted? What what? o.o

On the JOD page on the main website, there is a part where animejossie read the sweedish gameing magazine. In it, she says that it mentions Reala having a central role and that Elliot and Clairs are comeing back.

To Idya Faire: If NiGHTS gets any love interest it had better be Reala. Lol No really, there better not be any. I see no reason for them to do that anyway. Especially since NiGHTS doesn't have a set gender. From the interviews they are trying to truly think of the dream world and not the real world. Love interest between the childeren is one thing, but they wouldn't do that to marens. No....they couldn't. It would make no sense.

--Edit--
I better cool it down on postings. I seem to be posting after ever two posts made. lol

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

On the JOD page on the main website, there is a part where animejossie read the sweedish gameing magazine. In it, she says that it mentions Reala having a central role and that Elliot and Clairs are comeing back.

Mmmhmm, I read that... just from the way people are talking it's like they officially announced Reala was the new Wizeman or something. (Actually, it'd be pretty funny to see Reala as a "Wizeman Junior"... X3)

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
The way I see it is this. Your childhood cant be erased by a bad game. Your memories are rock solid buried and a part of you. Theres no way a bad game can take that away from you ever. It can upset you, but it cant destroy the original NiGHTS. But I see this, as a way, good or bad, for a new generation to at least experience a taste of what NiGHTS was like. Some are bound to enjoy this game and be welcomed into this fandom. It will keep NiGHTS at least relevant to todays market and in the hearts and minds of people. Much like sonic has weathered some terrible games but some still have hope for him. I think people are being too negative about change too. We dont really know without playing (nintendos mantra is playing is believing remember?) how this game will feel. Who knows it may click with the wiimote and be freaking amazing. Obsessing over the tiniest details is understandable, and hell I do it even though I didnt even finish the original game at my friends house (not enough time) but all those little things that made NiGHTS the game it is, seem to be coming back in some form here. How it all goes together is key, but just because some things are changed doesnt mean it cant gel as a whole game on its own. besides, how do you think Iizuka feels and the pressure he must be going through to deliver on a deadline? I know it cant be easy, and shooting this game down before its even really begun isnt the way to show appreciation for at least trying to resurrect a well loved franchise for new people to enjoy. I think that, among everything, is the most positive thing about this. At the very least iizuka seems to be passionate about the project and willing to give it his all so thats really the best you can hope for these days.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
The way I see it, 11 years ago, most of us were young kids, and we wanted different things out of games to the things we want now. I would have been 11 (though didn't play it back then) and even Trippy would have been less than 15.

So, to me... well, whether the game does what it should do or not is going to depend on what the new kids think of it. If the kids coming to it for the very first time get a kick out of it, and really love the thing, but the grumpy 20 somethings don't find it as fullfilling as they'd like, it's a shame I guess but not one that that is exactly heart breaking. I would rather the kids have something awesome to play.

If anything, I'm hoping it will be simple and fun and have a childishness to it, because rather than coming from a gaming climate where everything was for kids and full of cartoon animals and whatever, this is coming from one just full of guns and angst and 'serious' stuff. Epic stuff is great and all, but stuff that is genuinely feel good FUN and well done as well is something needed lately. If it does some neat interesting stuff with the psychonanlysis stuff that inspired/gets read into the original, that is cool too, but that never bogged down the original and I don't think I'd want to see that happen here. A really deep look at dream stuff should be left to something else, I recon.

I guess because I don't have an attachment to the old game like a lot of people here, I am pretty much looking forward to the new one. It looks like it will be fun. And I reckon it being fun is really the important thing here. It needs to stand on its own terms, not as a nostaligia thing for fans of the original. So, here's hoping for a decent little game that is made for today and beyond, not for back in the 90s. Because the new kids deserve good games too. :P

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
Innotech, I agree with you so much right now. There is still so much we don't know about the game, and will not know until we actually play it. So far, I'm positive to the changes.

The way I see it, there are two scenarios to what could happen.

1.The game is great, or at least good.
Brilliant. New fans into the fanbase, old fans get their long awaited sequal/remake. Everyone's happy, except for those that aren't. There is always someone who isn't satisfied.

2.The game is so bad it hurts.
Ok, let's assume our wildest nightmares came through and the game sucks. So what? That will NOT take the magic away from the original.
It might even turn out a bit like a certain anime I'm a fan of. The American dub of that anime was so horrible, even people who had never watched a single episode of the Japanese version thought of it as the worst thing they had ever seen.
BUT! That lousy dub made us fans all over the world unite, in order to make the dub company stop with the butchering of a series we love. And I believe that we even gained some new fans who saw the dub, liked the concept of the series and decided to watch the original.

The same thing could happen here IF the game turns out to be really really lousy. I mean, we are a friendly fanbase, eager to get new people in. If we lasted 11 years, I think we can survive a potential flop.

I think the key here is to stay as positive as possible, without getting our hopes up too high.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Love interest between the childeren is one thing, but they wouldn't do that to marens. No....they couldn't. It would make no sense.

Wait, you did play Sonic Next right? Remember that beastiality thing between Sonic and Elise?

Epic stuff is great and all, but stuff that is genuinely feel good FUN and well done as well is something needed lately.

Go play Viva Pinata. Frickin' class game and sounds like it's right up your alley.

I'm going to side with most of the community around here and go with the Pessimist Door. I'm going to assume the game will be a let down, and as someone said earlier, if it's good, Hoorah, they managed to pull it off and I'll be an extrememly happy camper. If they don't, big whoop, I never got my hopes up in the first place.
One thing I AM afraid of though is this concept of Fuckle... Jackle and Puffy combined. If that is what we've been looking at in the screenshots maybe that's why Reala's the head honcho... Reala/Wizeman.
Despite my fears on the subject, I'm going to have to go and draw that now. *shivers*

Also, I'd never realised that Hell and Damn were considered 'curse words'... no problem with them on Irish TV! XD

Guest_Shark_*

Guest_Shark_*
  • Guests
Damn. Too many long post to read through. I just stopped here.

If there are voices (though I'm kinda hoping there are just hints of voices), they need to get the Zophis lady to be Reala! O_O

Zophis! I been trying to remember the names of clownish main villains in stuff. I just keep forgetting about Zophis. Joker in Batman, Kefka in Final Fantasy, Alan Gabrial in Big O, Reala in NiGHTS, Zophis in Zatch Bell, Death Jester in Seiken 3, Harle in Chrono Cross, and thats all I can remember >.<

What what? o.o

Why said 'what' twice in the same sentence? Why why? o.o

Aura-Moon

Aura-Moon

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, aha!
The only reason I'm iffy on the new game is due to the overhype of sonic games in the past and all of them being a let down! Well..except Sonic Rush, that was fun <3

Thing is, if they go bat sh!t insane with the graphics but DO NOTHING with the characters and story, it's going to be dire...well, least how i see it, I like a game with a deep plot that draws you in...hence why I loved the FF and Zelda games <3

If the game IS good, I'll take back my negativity but, if there are flaws, well...i can't wait to see the optermists (sp?) reactions to it =/ or those who are in denial that deep down, it's not very good.
Though, if the game's crap, I won't up and leave the fandom ~_~ that's just silly *rambles*

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
truth. and besides, even if this game is flawed, theres no doubt it will still be fun just because of the music, visuals and the gameplay letting you fly around. But theres so much fun about NiGHTS besides just the gameplay. thats why this really has a chance. And its not bound to the same limitations that Sonic and the Secret rings had either. There are no pitfalls, no walls to stop you cold, no spikes, none of that. Just freeform acrobatics in the air with a few enemies and plenty of items around you. It should be fairly easy to make it work. and considering the plan was for a wandlike motion control all along, well it speaks volumes about the potential for this game to be everything you dreamed it could (aside from being in HD, but frankly, HD would take away the character of a game like this IMO). I say cautious optimism should be the order of the day. It really is much easier to mess up Sonic gameplay than NiGHTS.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

You're a load of pessimists! I have faith~! One of the reasons I DIDN'T send an email off is because I have faith in this being something good~ I really don't think something this important would be messed up.

The only reason we felt the need to contact SEGA was because what we were told during development did give us reason for concern. But, it seems that all the recent news that's coming out, plus with Izuka himself actually speaking some sense, i feel a little more at ease. I mean, after all...Izuka spoke about the fans that have been waiting around 11 years and he's addressing us in that statement. Maybe it had something to do with the letters we sent, maybe it didn't. I don't know. Either way, i just felt that even if this game was going to be created amazingly well the fans still should have had a say in all of it. They are the ones that have waited for this so they have a right to say something, even if everything turns out ok after all.
I admit, i'm feeling a little more at ease after the recent news. It seems Izuka might know what he's doing with this game so i do have more faith in it than i did a few weeks ago.

I think the key here is to stay as positive as possible, without getting our hopes up too high.

That's pretty much how i'm feeling. I get excited when i see NiGHTS being praised in the recent magazines because it's really good to see the boy back in the public eye again. Seeing people that write articles in Nintendo magazines praise a SEGA character makes me really happy.
At the same time though, i want to try and keep a level head on it all. Izuka is saying some decent things lately but there is a fine line between saying something and doing something. The only way we all will ever know how good this game is to actually play it. Until then i'm going to remain at a middle ground...though slightly slanting to the 'happy' side because i'm a fan and i like what i've seen so far.

Thing is, if they go bat sh!t insane with the graphics but DO NOTHING with the characters and story, it's going to be dire...well, least how i see it, I like a game with a deep plot that draws you in...hence why I loved the FF and Zelda games <3

Yup. I agree. Though, the great thing about NiGHTS has always been that the story was vague but it left things open ended so you could create discussions about....kinda like this, for example. NiGHTS was a great story in the fact that it had a deep side to it what with making dreams a 'real dimension' but it left the story up to the person playing. You didn't see any conversation between characters to build the story, other than the odd line from the Maren, like Jackle saying (what seems to be) "Give it up, NiGHTS" and Reala's famous line "There is NO NiGHTS".

I want to address people to a game called 'The Getaway'. A GTA style game based in grotty underbelly of the London crimescene with gangsters and crooked police offers. This game was in development for years, they recreated the entire city of London right down to the very core (i should know, i lived there for 21 years). The game looked amazing, the graphics were as hot as white hot sh!t.....but the gameplay was a pile of toss. It blowed majorly. The magazines wanted to rate this game highly but couldn't because, although it looked nice it played a tad shabby.
Having nice graphics but no gameplay and various other dodgy crap really ruins a game.
So, in terms of this new NiGHTS game, i'm happy with the way the graphics are. Really. If they deliver these graphics and the gameplay is superb then i'm sold.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
To be honest, the graphics is the original NiGHTS were nothing spectacular either. Compared to other titles on the Saturn at the time, like Panzer Dragoon it didn't stand as tall. Sure it was bright and colourful and did what it did with confidence, but the graphics themselves were very low level.
This is one reason I'm not too pushed with them updating the graphics too much. If NiGHTS is spiraling crazily around the screen at all times as he was in the original, his current character model should hold up nicely.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
the main reason I bought a wii and buy nintendo systems in general is because I always preferred gameplay over graphics, much as Digi described how Getaway is actually a garbage game despite its visuals. I feel that Sega also kept this belief, but was better at visuals than nintendo was. But Sega balanced everything, and this was especially evident in NiGHTS. It looked good AND played good. the wii is a perfect place for this game it really is.

PopcornMarenxD

PopcornMarenxD

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I'd rather like maren voices to be played backwards. Not just so it sounds like gibberish, but you know like when you record something, play it backwards, then record the giberish you hear with your own voice again, play that backwards and you end up with something really strange and distorted, but understandable. I probably explianed that badly, but it's a nice technique.

Wow that idea is pretty original. Sound great, better than thinkin that night´s vocie could be a woman whit low voice (like japanese people do) o something like a kid´s voice. I really like that idea.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
I would suggest Ai Maeda. she did the voice for Kino, and it was until episode 4 that you even discover Kinos identity. you cant tell from the voice or how Kino looks.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Does anyone else think it would be the scariest crap if you could run around as Sonic as well as a secret or something? Because I would be pissed if they couldn't even leave him out of anything. XD NO SONIC PLZ Kthx bai

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
But Sonic was playable in Christmas NiGHTS! It'd be traditional!

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
After that Secret Rings poo, I'd say looking at him about now will hurt me inside. :unsure:

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

After that Secret Rings poo, I'd say looking at him about now will hurt me inside. :D

am I the only one who thoroughly enjoys Secret rings? :D

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
I don't know.. I just got put off by it, especially with the assault on my ears they played for everything. I couldn't adjust to the controls, but that's just me, I'm sure someone else likes it.. I thought that it sounded pretty cool, actually. The story and all. But I couldn't play it the way it was set up.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Being honest, TRiP's brother DeZ is playing it in the other room right now and says it's pretty decent in terms of a Sonic game. It takes a little getting used to. I'll give it a try later on tonight.

Thats the thing with the Wii though. Most games require you to 'get used to' the control system. I mean let's be honest. This console is a decent breakthrough in gaming. I played a GameCube game right after playing the Wii and playing on a normal controller felt a tad odd, ya know. XD;;

suri

suri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

To be honest, the graphics is the original NiGHTS were nothing spectacular either. Compared to other titles on the Saturn at the time, like Panzer Dragoon it didn't stand as tall. Sure it was bright and colourful and did what it did with confidence, but the graphics themselves were very low level.
This is one reason I'm not too pushed with them updating the graphics too much. If NiGHTS is spiraling crazily around the screen at all times as he was in the original, his current character model should hold up nicely.

I guess it depends on what you mean by graphics. Graphics as in how many pixels are being pushed each frame? or graphics as in overall aesthetic look? Or graphics as in realism?

I would definately say NiGHTS graphics with the 2nd definition(aestheticaly pleasing) were the best released on the saturn. But that would be subject to opinion.
And I would questionably say NiGHTS graphics with the 1st definition(amount and complexity of pixels/triangles rendered per frame) were also ahead of the other titles of the time.
For the 3rd definition I would say it was lacking.

Here is a shot of panzer dragoon zwei
Posted Image
Here is a shot of crash bandicoot
Posted Image
here is a shot of mario 64
Posted Image
here is a shot of virtua fighter 2
Posted Image
and here is a shot of NiGHTS
Posted Image

lets break them down
first texture quality/variety/size
---------------------------------------
NiGHTS takes the prize with plenty to spare
mario 64 gets last place and was lapped twice by every other competitor
virtua fighter has no blending and bad lighting and looks like ice scuptures, and not very detailed of textures either so doesnt do very well.
panzer dragoon has very blended lighting on its textures and the textures seem detailed but there is not much variety
crash textures look very detailed but not much variety too much repeating and looks boring overall.

number of polygons/pixels pushed
------------------------------------------
NiGHTS has a ton of polygon complexity to the front of the scene but very short draw distance to compensate
crash has a very long draw distance but a good amount of polygon complexity
panzer dragon practicaly has nothing on screen, an empty wasteland but good complexity to the animated models
mario has fairly good polygon complexity but the lack of good textures retrack any amount of detail you can get from polygons
virtua fighter has very complex objects but the bad lighting really hurts it, i mean each poygon sticks out like a soar thumb. with that many polygons they could have got some exellently blended vertex lighting.

overall aestetic look, that is completely up to the viewer
but i think NiGHTS is miles ahead of these other games

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

I don't know.. I just got put off by it, especially with the assault on my ears they played for everything. I couldn't adjust to the controls, but that's just me, I'm sure someone else likes it.. I thought that it sounded pretty cool, actually. The story and all. But I couldn't play it the way it was set up.

I actuallyl iked the music. not because it was good, but because it was so cheesy and very very bad. so bad it was actually fun. I dunno if that makes sense, but sometimes I like horribly cheesy music just because it is so bad.

wyldflowa

wyldflowa

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing comics! And ur... drawing comics. And... comics...<br /><br />I like games too. XD

Remember who the makers are. These are the same people who claim they want all games to be amazing. These are the people who claimed they wanted Sonic Next, and Sonic and the Secret Rings to be amazing. On top of that, REMEMBER WHO THE MAKERS ARE! As much as I'm forcing myself to believe this game could be good, deep down inside me knows, that considering who the makers are, and their track record recently, this game is doomed the moment they told themselves, "Lets make a new NiGHTS game and make it crappy so all those dumb fans will get off our backs for a sequel, and lie to them about us wanting to make the game amazing so they will believe it, just like they believed it with all the other crappy games we said were amazing!". I sometimes wonder why someone else there doesn't just ask the question I want to know,"So...why do we make crappy games on purpose?"

Well I'll say it now, I've never played Sonic Next or Secret Rings - the last "recent" Sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes. XD So I really don't know how bad/good it is to be honest. From what I've read Secret Rings has been relatively well-recieved in a number of reviews, nothing sparkling, but nothing awful either. And you've read it in the Iizuka interview it's a totally new system they're developing. There's no point in going "oh what if it's like Secret Rings" - the fact is, it won't.

And I don't care what people say - I'm looking on the bright side of this~ We've all been waiting YEARS for this and all you do is gripe about everything. It's a new game! Based off an old game that we all know and love but a new game none-the-less. If you approach it fearing every tiny little new feature will be awful then you're not going to enjoy it. Have an open mind and trust the developers~ Welcome all these new things~! You must also remember the info we've got is the first of many MANY things that are going to be released. Heck, all we've seen is a few screenshots recycled from one mag to another and some vague descriptions of gameplay and features... it's just silly to assume too much when we actually know very little.

I'm still keeping an optimistic mind about it. I'm sure there will be things that will put me off later on in development but right now things are so vague and unconfirmed I refuse to see it as something bad. :D

PLUS if you don't look at it positively it isn't as exciting! I'd rather sit here in happy anticipation of all the good things about it than nervous dread at what MIGHT be bad. X3

Rockets! >u< <3

I actuallyl iked the music. not because it was good, but because it was so cheesy and very very bad. so bad it was actually fun. I dunno if that makes sense, but sometimes I like horribly cheesy music just because it is so bad.

All I have to say is Sonic R~ if that wasn't filled with such cheesecake music it would never of been so fun. ^.^

suri

suri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

All I have to say is Sonic R~ if that wasn't filled with such cheesecake music it would never of been so fun. ^.^

I thought that music was awesome. :S

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Wait, you did play Sonic Next right? Remember that beastiality thing between Sonic and Elise?

No I didn't. Contraty to popular belief, not everyone has money. I do not own an XBox 360, a PS3, or a Wii. I do not own any next gen systems or games. I don't even own and XBox or gamecube. I only get to play my boyfriend's gamecube once in a great while.The closest new system I have is the DS. THE OLD ONE! I do not have a DS light because the DS was ceaper. I wait years before I buy anything. I will be lucky to get a Wii before NiGHTS comes out. I will definatly miss out on all haliday and stupid Wii Connect 24 crap because I will not have broad band for I will be in a dorm for the nex 4 to 5 years. Depending on how many classes I fail. Thank you very much.

As for Shark's comment about What What...bite me! No jokeing. Its ok. I wrote 'what' twice on purpose. I was trying to empazise my confusion. If it troubles you then I will stop.

--Edit--
Auror I agree. Sonic Rush was great. It was a lot better than the advance games too. It was kinda like playing Classic Sonic again.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

Level stuff didn't sound so bad, but that main theme drove me up the wall and they played it for EVERYTHING! I still rock back and forth at night. T_T

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Level stuff didn't sound so bad, but that main theme drove me up the wall and they played it for EVERYTHING! I still rock back and forth at night. T_T

THat is when you put the TV on mute and play your own music. That is what I did when I played KH and I was in The Little Mermaid Level. D: That music drove me insane.

As for Seceret Rings being bad, I did not know. I too have heard and read many great reviews about it. In fact, I read that they fixed a lot of the camera angle problems. Is that true?

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

THat is when you put the TV on mute and play your own music. That is what I did when I played KH and I was in The Little Mermaid Level. D: That music drove me insane.

As for Secret Rings being bad, I did not know. I too have heard and read many great reviews about it. In fact, I read that they fixed a lot of the camera angle problems. Is that true?

yes and no. No in the sense that they created new camera problems, and yes in that the linear straightforward gameplay eliminated a lot of the old free range camera issues. sonic no longer gets stuck somewhere because you cant see where hes going, but if you DO stop and back up, youre doing it absolutely blind because the camera refuses to budge. so you run into enemies sometimes. Or worse. but really thats the only real gripe I have. The game does move forwards on its own and you basically can tell Sonic when to stop and you do have to anticipate jumping, its not instant. but like I said if you get used to it I think youd enjoy it. I sure do.
I rate it 8/10. And visually? Well it blows sonic next gen away visually. the level designs in SATSR are artful masterpieces compared to the apocalyptic and washed out next gen visuals.

KiloTango

KiloTango

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

this game is doomed the moment they told themselves, "Lets make a new NiGHTS game and make it crappy so all those dumb fans will get off our backs for a sequel, and lie to them about us wanting to make the game amazing so they will believe it, just like they believed it with all the other crappy games we said were amazing!".

No company really goes 'lets make this intentionally crap'. They might want to may it cheaply, or quickly, but 'let's make a rubbish game is an AWFUL buisness strategy. Take off the tinfoil hat, there is no conspiracy. Just budgets and timescales. :D

That said, to people talking about wanting a deep plot to this, that wasn't in the original, and if you look at what you get when Sega try to do super deep plots, you get stuff like the Sonic Next Gen thing. And we don't need another one of those. RPGs and story based things are great, but I would really worry about putting too much into JoF. NiGHTS has an interesting concept, but the game play was more important. Little bits of intruige and allowing the player to peice things together themselves will be much stronger, I think. It isn't as if there is a shortage of RPGs already out there, after all.

(Oh, and whoever said it, I agree Kino's voice is excellent. And that show is fantastic.)

Oh, and on graphics, if the models are a bit low poly, but that lets it keep a killer frame rate without popup and huge loading times... hell yes, lets have that please. Because how pretty it looks in stills is one thing, but how good it looks in motion is something else entirely. Consistency is tricky. Wanting something that looks as good as say, Shadow of the Collosus (which even has trouble itself at points), but moves as fast and smooth free as we would want JoF to... the Wii is not going to be able to pull that off. The PS3 and the 360 MIGHT, but not the Wii. But, if it moves well enough, and plays well enough, that the stills aren't breathtaking won't mean a thing. So I am really holding off judgement on the graphics untill we see some gameplay videos. The way this thing moves is going to make a huge difference on how good it looks.

Also, dear GOD let the camera not be rubbish. NiGHTS with Sonic Heroes camera would be PAINFUL.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

No company really goes 'lets make this intentionally crap'. They might want to may it cheaply, or quickly, but 'let's make a rubbish game is an AWFUL buisness strategy. Take off the tinfoil hat, there is no conspiracy. Just budgets and timescales. :P

That said, to people talking about wanting a deep plot to this, that wasn't in the original, and if you look at what you get when Sega try to do super deep plots, you get stuff like the Sonic Next Gen thing. And we don't need another one of those. RPGs and story based things are great, but I would really worry about putting too much into JoF. NiGHTS has an interesting concept, but the game play was more important. Little bits of intruige and allowing the player to peice things together themselves will be much stronger, I think. It isn't as if there is a shortage of RPGs already out there, after all.

(Oh, and whoever said it, I agree Kino's voice is excellent. And that show is fantastic.)

Oh, and on graphics, if the models are a bit low poly, but that lets it keep a killer frame rate without popup and huge loading times... hell yes, lets have that please. Because how pretty it looks in stills is one thing, but how good it looks in motion is something else entirely. Consistency is tricky. Wanting something that looks as good as say, Shadow of the Collosus (which even has trouble itself at points), but moves as fast and smooth free as we would want JoF to... the Wii is not going to be able to pull that off. The PS3 and the 360 MIGHT, but not the Wii. But, if it moves well enough, and plays well enough, that the stills aren't breathtaking won't mean a thing. So I am really holding off judgement on the graphics untill we see some gameplay videos. The way this thing moves is going to make a huge difference on how good it looks.

Also, dear GOD let the camera not be rubbish. NiGHTS with Sonic Heroes camera would be PAINFUL.

I was the one suggesting Kino. I have the series its one of my favorites. The voice would just be perfect.

As for the graphics, I made a topic about it, basically saying that yes framerate is important, but the wii is capable of MUCH better visuals than this AND keeping a steady framerate, so why not push what it can do? SATSR never lsowed down but looked fantastic. You dont have to have a 360 or Ps3 to produce well rounded models and decent environments. the wii CAN do this. SMG shows that it can be done (and RE:UC and many other new games).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users