Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mysterious scan

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I just found this blog with an interesting scan.

Posted Image

It seems to be from a magazine, and there's the "©Sega" at the corner, but I'm still not sure what to think of it. Does anyone know anything about this? Or enough Japanese to translate the blog?

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Curious indeed.. maybe PM Seiya? I still kinda wanna message her about the OST liner notes..

Jof

Jof

Beard status: Distinctly Hobo.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,388,607 posts
  • Interests:Making NiGHTS shine. In an oily way.
Very strange indeed. Part of me believes its nothing but some fan-work or something.. but part of me hopes to god its some Reala JoD concept art.

That Reala laugh is amazing.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Hmm. That is quite odd. How on earth did you come across this rare gem, Josse? XD

It's obviously some kind of design for Reala as the character at the top has Reala's torso design but...what the hell is up with it's head? o.O

I'll get Seiya on this right away, people. Fear not. Translations shall soon come. :)

--edit--
Right. I've just emailed Seiya. I'll let you guys know the second i hear any news from her.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Whuuuuut??? 0-0;;; ...... Ohwaitaminute!!! You know how TRiPPY's art was featured in a magazine a long while back? This might be one of those magazines, and these are fan-things, because that one of pink NiGHTS (Christmas?) in the upper left corner says 'INER NOTES' (possibly 'WINNER NOTES') in plain English. ^-^

..... Hmm... wait... it seems to actually say 'LINER NOTES'. That is odd, but I just wanted to state my theory on what this is a scan of. ^-^;;;

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Whuuuuut??? 0-0;;; ...... Ohwaitaminute!!! You know how TRiPPY's art was featured in a magazine a long while back? This might be one of those magazines, and these are fan-things, because that one of pink NiGHTS (Christmas?) in the upper left corner says 'INER NOTES' (possibly 'WINNER NOTES') in plain English. ^-^

..... Hmm... wait... it seems to actually say 'LINER NOTES'. That is odd, but I just wanted to state my theory on what this is a scan of. ^-^;;;

uur...TRiPPY's art was featured in a magazine? o.O which one? You may be refering to Sonic the Comic but that was fanart that she sent in to be printed in a comic book back in 1997.
This seems much different. The writing at the top seems to say 'Liner Notes', meaning this could very well be from a magazine covering an article on game development or better yet, an art book.

Also, i highly doubt it's JoD. Though, after what we heard about NiGHTS' costumes during the concept stages of JoD's development, this could be just about anything.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Ehehe, I guess that's where it was featured; all I could remember was hearing she got her art in something that was published, so silly me assumed it was a magazine of some sort. ^^;;;

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
Holy cow that is funktastic.. O_O It looks like some kind of NiGHTS/Majin Boo Reala baby.. XD

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
Haha, so I'm not the only one who checks cbb's blog.

My initial reaction is some sort of knockoff/bootleg...thing.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
I know enough Japanese to be frustrated by not fully understanding the blog and to give up before even trying to read the whole thing!

However I think that the blogger is not entirely sure what is up with the image and is curious if anyone knows.
I could be way off the mark though. I only know about 100 kanji or so, the print is small, and my vocabulary is limited! (I've got a million excuses)

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Well Seiya sent a quick reply back saying she'll just ask her friend who wrote the journal. But she said it's official SEGA Reala work.
I'm thinking definately NiD since they wouldn't have to redesign Reala THAT much for JoD since he was already an established character.

We'll let you guys know more and try get a bigger scan/photo to gawp at.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I had a feeling it was NiD related. And judging by the layout i'm still thinking this is some rare artbook or something. It just doesn't look like the way a magazine article would position it's columns.

Feniiku

Feniiku

iMAGNi SPY!

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Drawing<br />Gaming<br />Reading
Looks interesting, it'd be cool to see what it says, yup.

Though that Laughing Reala thing at the bottom scares me D:

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

Hmm. That is quite odd. How on earth did you come across this rare gem, Josse? XD

I checked out some links from Seiya's blog. It's amazing what you can find just through link-hopping and a bit of patience.

[...] the print is small

I feared as much. The blogger usually posts small pics.

Though that Laughing Reala thing at the bottom scares me D:

You too, huh? The Reala-kinda-NiGHTS-hybrid thing above doesn't help much either D:

dor

dor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
the laughing reala image remind me of this:
http://image50.websh...95dBihen_ph.jpg

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Would I be wrong to pose that this is concept art for 360/PS3 NiGHTS?

Shia Hatsune

Shia Hatsune

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
The laughing Reala tickles my fancy in the most non-sexual way possible.

But it looks like it's NiD concept art. See Reala's eyes? They don't have the black line make-up on O:

...but srsly, who's that person above Reala? o__o could it be Selph? And that person above Reala and Reala below looks like they combines in the actual finished product. Reala inherited that guy's diamonds on his chest XD

And how old is this?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I highly doubt that is Selph for the sheer fact that if you look closely at the top image you will see that the weird character at the top of the page has Reala's torso ...and if you look a little closer he has Reala's eye make-up. I think they combined aspects of those two designs and created the Reala we've all seen in NiGHTS into Dreams.

Seiya apparently knows the person who wrote the blog and she's asking her where she got this image from and stuff. The actual blog itself is speaking more about a doujinshi that the owner of the blog is planning on drawing yet they briefly talk about these Reala design concepts.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Well, slightly off-topic, I think it COULD be grounds for PS3/360 sequel, since I'm personally thinking that it is going to have the character's changed again.

but i dunno

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Ok guys:

Hi DiGi-san and TRiPPY-san.:(

I got a reply from the owner of that blog.
That picture was put in an old magazine called "SEGA Saturn Magazine".
That was published 12 years ago in only Japan. And people could get it in only the game arcades of SEGA.

That's really rare because that magazine was discontinued already.
She said that magazine has more NiGHTS designs, but they're all strange. Hm, I think so too. lol

I'll ask if she can get better scans/photos and to see the other character designs too! :) This is awesome!

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I just asked if Seiya can get her friend to scan the images and then if Seiya can also translate what it all says.

Here's hoping they can do it. This is the closest we've ever come to seeing the original NiD concept work. ^_^

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Awesome! =D I hope they'll say yes, I love seeing concept art!

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
It's entirely possible that a concept design for Self will be among the designs from this magazine. This is sounding very interesting.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Am I wrong in hearing from somewhere that NiGHTS was originally a bird, but the executives/producers/whoever judges the ideas said he needed to be human to be more empathetic? If I am right in my remembering, I'd really really really really love to see BiRD NiGHTS, because I like birds and I like NiGHTS. ^-^

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke

Am I wrong in hearing from somewhere that NiGHTS was originally a bird, but the executives/producers/whoever judges the ideas said he needed to be human to be more empathetic? If I am right in my remembering, I'd really really really really love to see BiRD NiGHTS, because I like birds and I like NiGHTS. ^-^

You're right, that was in this site's What Makes NiD? page. That would be cool to see. There might even be more than just concept art for the Nightmarens, though. Wonder what came up when they were designing Claris and Elliot?

Guest_123_*

Guest_123_*
  • Guests
i have remaked that *"Self"* image if you wan't to saw this. i think what this scan was from early 1996 or mid 1995 since the reala's style is too simple, also is you take a view in the up left corner you can see a nights with a christmas style, well that style looks very diferent to the actual style, the style from this scan looks more simple too. also the guy from above has the night's colors, reala's torso , and a "drop" head , and has pants. also as you can see in other part of the scan, the guy from above uses his tongue to attack (maybe). well that's so rare. or maybe the guy from above was supposed to be a prototype of the actual nights. or maybe this was self

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edit: oh i forget something : the guy from above has more muscles than that reala from the scan, maybe this guy from above was a reala concept too.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
As cool as that is, how many of you are not actually listening to what i've just told you?
Seiya has said those two character designs are of REALA! Not Selph. Enough with the Selph talk. If something comes up on Selph then there will be no doubt in my mind that Seiya will tell us about it. Until then, stop speculating that those images are of Selph because it's officially of Reala during his design stages.

Now back on topic, that top version of Reala's design seems to have some sort of 'ear ring' thing going on. At least that's what it looks like to me. Also, the top design has Reala's eye liner.

Guest_123_*

Guest_123_*
  • Guests
:huh: ok Digi Valentine, please calm down :huh: . we will stop speculating about that scan. :angry: also if i decide to draw that pink reala desing is because i decided to help by showing that concept in front view :(

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
My apologies. The recent 'Sonic' related news has annoyed me a tad, that's all.

That is good work on the pixel art. It looks very neat and tidy. :angry:

As for everybody else reading this though - trust me, Selph is not on that page. Though that being said, he may be on another page if there is more where this came from. Who knows what we will find out from this. :huh:

Leonhart

Leonhart

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Ice-cream. And pie.
._.

DiGi needs some Chocolate.

Maybe the thread should be locked?

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
If only i had chocolate, lol. XD;

Nah, we'll keep this thread open until i hear anymore news from Seiya. If it's all good and we get more scans then we'll make another thread and delete this topic. Until then i'll keep this one open. :huh:

Guest_123_*

Guest_123_*
  • Guests
Offtopic post: Chocolate for Digi

Posted Image

NeoScriptor

NeoScriptor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Programming, Gaming, Dreamcast, Xbox 360, and misc. geeky stuff.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha :huh:

phosphorus

phosphorus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

As for everybody else reading this though - trust me, Selph is not on that page. Though that being said, he may be on another page if there is more where this came from. Who knows what we will find out from this. :huh:

This is what I was assuming. Actually, I imagine that Self's design wouldn't be very interesting on it's own, It was probably just NiGHTS with an Inverted/Reversed color scheme. It would just be cool to find out what it was.

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
Hahaha. Great. That's cool, thanks for that! XD You're quite good with pixel art, i see.

Also, sorry for the slow developments on this topic. Seiya has not got back to me yet. I believe she's rather busy at the moment so we'll just have to sit tight and wait until then. ^_^

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liner_notes

I looked Liner Notes up on wikipedia, and thats the link. Maybe its from a demo audio disc or a REALLY rare soundtrack album??

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

<a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liner_notes" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liner_notes</a>

I looked Liner Notes up on wikipedia, and thats the link. Maybe its from a demo audio disc or a REALLY rare soundtrack album??

Or it could just be engrish...

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Well, well, well, this is quite an interesting turn... I regret not looking at this earlier... although I highly doubt this is for an upcoming game the concept art seems abit too... how can I say this... cartoony? for a.... NiGHTS... video... game............................................................................
... oh god they're not making a NiGHTS cartoon series are they!? O_o
and remember hope is simply an amplifier of disappointment...

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
It's concept art from back in the day of Reala for NiGHTS into Dreams...

How many times must i say this? ¬_¬

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I agree with DiGi at least on the age of the artwork; this definitely has stark similarities to the style of the original character design-drawings for NiD.

And don't you think if these were more recent, they'd look a bit... I don't know... snazzier? Especially those bright white highlights on the hat and stuff?

Unless someone went out and purposefully faked these, I sincerely doubt they're any younger than the design sketches of NiGHTS as we see him in NiD.

EDIT: Apologies to Yuji if that sounded insulting; I don't think it's bad art, it's just... er... um... *headdesk* I'm sorry... ;-;

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users