Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Maren Hat questions and PortConMaine

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Guest_Purachina_*

Guest_Purachina_*
  • Guests
So! I desperately need help from all the Reala, NiGHTS, Jackle cosplayers on making the hat/horn things. I've never made one before, and I want help on how to make it, what materials to use, and stuff like that.

Also, is anyone going the convention called PortConMaine, in the little forgotten state of Maine? ;_; I will be going as Jackle! >:3

Guest_Purachina_*

Guest_Purachina_*
  • Guests
bump =/ I really need some help with the hat. If anyone has any ideas, whatsoever, then please post.

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Hey... bumping your own topics isn't a good thing to do.

If someone had something to contribute, I'm sure it'd be up by now. I recommend trying different patterns on paper, and yes - even sewing the paper together to get an idea of how a pattern would look in three dimensions. It helped me while I was fiddling around with various ideas for plushies.

Or, go find other jester-type hats for reference and look to see how they're sewn together.

Seleste

Seleste

• Visitor
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I don't know anything about sewing or anything like that. But infractus is right, there is some help on the internet.
I suggest looking into venice carnaval (just google that), or you can google specific tips like this one i found very fast: <a href="http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...esters_hat.html" target="_blank">http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...esters_hat.html</a>

I am sure there are better if you look more to get more ideas and tips.
Personally, I would use wire reinforcer to give the hat shape and connect them to the "base" which is a "solid" half circle that goes on your head. But its just me, I use wires (like clothes hanger wires type of) for everything that needs to be bent into specific shape and then use other materials to fill it in and smooth. its my solution to everything =(

without wires perhaps something like http://tatianaring.deviantart.com/art/Jester-s-Hat-77437316

It depends on which materials you use/want to use and how much of a wow effect your expecting and willing to put effort to

like for example of a different route: <a href="http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1510587/" target="_blank">http://www.cosplay.com/photo/1510587/</a>

just throwing ideas out there.

ViCE

ViCE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, yaoi, Phoenix Wright, Kingdom Hearts, theatre, CATS, StEx, Phantom of the Opera (Book &amp; ALW Musical), art, cosplay, writing
I am honestly at a complete loss on how to construct the thing. I'd use the patterns on the site... if they were up...
I was hoping to make it plush, so I can't hurt people.

Help? :(

TheOrangeNightmare

TheOrangeNightmare

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Interests:video games, NiGHTS (duh), drawing, writing (fanfics ^^), bike riding, cats, mythical creatures
I've personally never done this before...sooo.....
ANYWAY!!!

I would say you should start with something solid to model it around, then kinda stitch the cloth together to cover it. As for the pattern, I would just use different colored felt/cloth/whatever you're using!

Hope this helps?

infractus

infractus

former Secretary of Balloon Doggies

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Anything, everything, because I like things.
Merged a few topics together, seeing as there are many people curious for ideas of how to make hats based on the NiD characters.

Please try and keep your questions in one place! It might save the hassle of trying to find a place to ask questions.

Minn

Minn

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
I have a halfbaked plan on how I'll be making my jackle hat, maybe it'll give you an idea.

First make a SNUG black headband, something that will secure the hat on yer head, but not cut off your circulation. (The kind that covers the top of your forehead, wraps over the ears and connects in the back.) If you're going to a con you'll be wearing that thing for awhile.
Second, add another strap that will cross over the top of your head. {It should connect to the headban at the points where it crosses over your ears.}
Then get a sheet/block of furniture foam the thickness you want the horns to be. Preferably light. Light is good.
Using whatever carving method you prefer, {I've never carved anything, check the internet} carve out the shape you want your horns to be. (another idea is to make the foam horns hollow and stuff them with something even lighter that the foam, although I can't think of anything.)
Here's a tricky part, you need to somehow connect the horns to the strap that goes over your head. Sewing? Maybe, but I think foam is hard to sew.
The final bit is to make the exterior of the hat, the 'cap' that will cover the headband and your head, and the material sleeves covering the horns. I think with some planning and practice material anyone can figue out how to make the cap and some horn sleeves, but figuring out the colors is up to your interpetation.
The cap and sleeves need to be sewn together into a single floppy 'hat' that can be fit over the foam horns and headban for it's Jackley shape and support.
Viola. Wireless Plush horn hat.

This is the most basic way I can explain my plan, please point out any glaring flaws.

On a side note I find it minorly hilarious that everyone thinks Jackle is the bearer of ORANGE.
Really? His in game model does look that way a little, but if you check his offical art...
No orange. I'm not kidding, just yellow, red, a bit of light blue and pink. And white and black of course.
Yet everyone says orange. Maybe it just looks better that way. XP

ViCE

ViCE

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, yaoi, Phoenix Wright, Kingdom Hearts, theatre, CATS, StEx, Phantom of the Opera (Book &amp; ALW Musical), art, cosplay, writing
I'm pretty sure that when I finally make the hat, it's going to be really backheavy. Any tips on how to prevent it front falling off my head?

Minn

Minn

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
Murrr.... Depends on how your going to dress up your face, if at all.
Perhaps some sort of chinstrap is an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users