Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Metal Gear Solid 4 = EPIC

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Okay, so I've been pretty hyped for this game since 2006 and now that I've played and completed it I must say that I think I may have played the game of the year. Now I know it's early but man does this game have masterpiece written in every piece of code on the disc. The ending was absolutely beautiful and filled with an astonishing amount of surprises. The only drawback was the fact that if you weren't a fan of the series before this game, and if you've never played any of the previous games, the story may not make that much sense. If you're good at putting 2 and 2 together than maybe things could work out but this is strictly fan service and this is an excellent example of fan service done right. The nostalgia value was off the charts with this one. Kojima has done it again.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
Kojima is a video game god.

You haven't played a video game if you haven't played MGS4.

If you think it's overhyped, you are wrong. Honestly; I had an interest in MGS last summer, and it faded quite a bit towards the end. This sumer, I got MGS4, and I decided to play it after debating whether I should just play MGO and take my time with MGS4 or not.

Jesus. I read a review of it in Newsweek today, too, while I was... quite frankly looking to see if they had opinions on the political aspect of the game. It said something like "Kojima marries Cinema and Gameplay; he's a great craft at his field, and a genius at it."

Something like that. Lots of Nostalgia here. And all the questions of the earlier games are answered. Plus, the whole game itself looks... amazing.

The very end, beyond the credits, is both important to the story, and a fanservice.
Spoiler

However, with the Patriots...
Spoiler

Also, who's your favorite BB Corps memeber?

Laughing Octopus for moi. You just can't beat a tentacle raping, psycho skin-tight woman who likes to impail her enemies with her octopus. Plus her voice.

And she drops an f-bomb. Only character in the whole game, too.

Spoiler

Did anyone try the White Room cheat with the Beauties? AHAHAHA, I wish i made a save ;-;.

... Octopus's laugh is playing in my head xD;;.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD

However, with the Patriots...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Also, who's your favorite BB Corps memeber?

Laughing Octopus for moi. You just can't beat a tentacle raping, psycho skin-tight woman who likes to impail her enemies with her octopus. Plus her voice.

And she drops an f-bomb. Only character in the whole game, too.

I like Raging Raven the most. The head motions she did when she says "Let your fury flow freely" is pretty hypnotic. To me anyway. I also like it when she says "SHOW ME YOUR RAGE!!"

Spoiler

I think she had Psycho Mantis's personality but into her. I think that's what Drebin was talking about. It goes by kinda fast so you would have to catch it.

Did anyone try the White Room cheat with the Beauties? AHAHAHA, I wish i made a save ;-;.

I have a lot of pics from that room. Photography Snake lol

Jackle's best friend

Jackle's best friend

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I got bored after the first one in the series, and after hearing the this one has 45 minute cutscenes, I'm pretty much going to keep on the other side of a fence and keep it at bay with a stick. No offense to all the MGS fans, but how can you stand so much cutscene and contrived plot devices? I like some games with a lot of story, but MGS just feels to me like it doesn't want you to actually play because you'll cramp it's style. Plus when you do get to play, the enemies have an IQ lower than the temperature at the North Pole in dead winter, and Snake's about as intuitive to control as two tons of rusted tractor metal, it just doesn't work for someone who grew up on Metal Slug, Sonic, and Megaman X when he was hitting his gaming stride.

That aside, how's it compare to the first game in the series? I want to hear it from people who generally enjoy them before I completely pass over it in case it actually is worth it.

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.

I got bored after the first one in the series, and after hearing the this one has 45 minute cutscenes, I'm pretty much going to keep on the other side of a fence and keep it at bay with a stick. No offense to all the MGS fans, but how can you stand so much cutscene and contrived plot devices? I like some games with a lot of story, but MGS just feels to me like it doesn't want you to actually play because you'll cramp it's style. Plus when you do get to play, the enemies have an IQ lower than the temperature at the North Pole in dead winter, and Snake's about as intuitive to control as two tons of rusted tractor metal, it just doesn't work for someone who grew up on Metal Slug, Sonic, and Megaman X when he was hitting his gaming stride.

Translation: "I LIKE MAKING THINGS GO BOOOOOOM!!!!!!"
I am quite perplexed that you insult the games AI when you've been playing games like metal slug, megaman (where enemies throw themselves at you like death's havin a party in hell with free ps3 and X-box 360 giveaways) and Sonic (where enemies rarely do much else than wander aimlessly hoping your dumb enough to smash your face into their butts). but I do agree that Snake is abit hard to control in the first few games alas not as much as you describe. Even Jill Valentine (Resident evil 1 and 3) isn't as bad as you describe snake...

That aside, how's it compare to the first game in the series? I want to hear it from people who generally enjoy them before I completely pass over it in case it actually is worth it.

well first off the game is stealth espionage action so of course you will be doing some sneaking unless you have a death wish... HOWEVER, alots changed in mgs 4. if you want you can play through the whole game as a gun bunny takin down your enemies over-the-shoulder (Gears of War style) OR 1st person although I would recommend playing it on easy mode if you wish to do so. Plus all the cutscenes are skipable and shooting your way through the whole game is doable plus the online gameplay is great as well. So even you can enjoy the exp. :P
P.S. I am a fan of the MGS series I admit it but I tell you how the game is based on the gameplay pushing my fandom aside (the story is amazing if your into that part of the games) I like all genres of games so I'm pretty sure you'll get a kick out of it.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

MGS is a story-driven game. If you like the series, the cutscenes are like a giant mug of hot chocolate. If you don't like hot chocolate, or it's way too hot... you're not gonna have a lot of fun drinking it down. Same thing with MGS. If you love MGS, or understand the storyline so far... the cutscenes are pure gold. If you don't really like MGS, or you don't understand the story yet... the cutscenes can be rather tedious.

With that said, only the ending (after the credits) has a long cutscene. And that's about 10 or 15 minutes in total. "Have fun with your interactive movie" is just a silly 4chan joke; the gameplay is fun. Most of the cutscenes are interactive in some way, plus they're beautiful to look at and just thrilling to fans of the series.

I don't expect much people on here to play Metal Gear Solid. With that said, MGS has a very deep story that might be confusing to some. Yes, I'll said it now. It's deep. It confused me a lot too. It becomes clearer as the game goes on, though; just like any other mystery.

You, my friend, have never played hard mode. You make a few sounds, and the enemy is on you. Normal and Easy are just that: Normal and Easy. Hard and Extreme will be your cup of tea if you decide to play it. I still haven't gotten by MGS2 on Hard; and I have yet to try Extreme mode on MGS4. As for Snake's controls, they were never hard to understand for me. They're not as complex as fighting games o3o.

As for how it is... let me put it this way:
If you like the storyline so far, and you enjoyed the first game... you're gonna enjoy the 4th. You even get to go back to
Spoiler
. If you didn't like the gameplay of MGS1 or 3... this is not gonna be a fun game for you.

And, the way it plays... it's obviously Stealth Espionage Action... but, 3/5 of the sneaking in the game takes place on a battlefield of some kind with 2 fractions (Act 1, 2, 3). So, you get to help the local Militias and Rebels against PMCs if you wish, and it will become a bit more like an FPS if you choose to do so. You can still help, and sneak, if you want. It's all up to you. It's a lot more... fluid, I guess you could say. It's not as rigid, but at the same time, it's not too unfixed.

And, for that matter... yes. I spent most of my time playing; not watching xD;. It even calculates the time you spent watching cutscenes; I think by the end it's like 3 hours.

I like Raging Raven the most. The head motions she did when she says "Let your fury flow freely" is pretty hypnotic. To me anyway. I also like it when she says "SHOW ME YOUR RAGE!!"

... that always reminds me of Captain Falcon going "SHOW ME YOUR MOVES!" xD;;;.

and

you will be doing some sneaking unless you have a death wish...

Sounds like the perfect job for me

;D

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
  • Interests:Anime, jokes, games, .Hack, cookies, Lackadaisy, NiGHTS, animals, cookies, art, cookies, science, quotes, folklore, Sonic Comics, AND cookies.
Oh ya I never posted my fav. BB Corps. member... I would have to say Laughing octopus... I liked it how she cleverly disguised herself in all those different ways to trick you and IMO... she was cutest ^_^ (great I fear I may have started a debate here...)
my fav. part in mgs4 was the last boss fight... so many memories...
we're gonna miss you Snake
*Salute*
"BEHOLD! the guns of the patriots!"
*bang*

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Oh ya I never posted my fav. BB Corps. member... I would have to say Laughing octopus... I liked it how she cleverly disguised herself in all those different ways to trick you and IMO... she was cutest ^_^ (great I fear I may have started a debate here...)
my fav. part in mgs4 was the last boss fight... so many memories...
we're gonna miss you Snake
*Salute*
"BEHOLD! the guns of the patriots!"
*bang*

Oh yes. Not to mention, she wears the tightest suit; she's the only BB Corps member in which you can see her navel |3

Oh my God. Yes. So many o3o. Especially MGS3; that was awesome xD;.

Spoiler

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts

Oh yes. Not to mention, she wears the tightest suit; she's the only BB Corps member in which you can see her navel |3

Oh my God. Yes. So many o3o. Especially MGS3; that was awesome xD;.

Spoiler

Spoiler

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Spoiler

Oh.
Spoiler

By the way, Big Boss was modeled after the original James Bond in his older age: Sean Connery.

Spoiler

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts

By the way, Big Boss was modeled after the original James Bond in his older age: Sean Connery.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
WARNING: HERE THAR BE SPOILERS!

XD

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I never played a metal gear game before but alothough snake is my one of my favorite brawl characters. I agree I have been reading up on MGS 4 I believe it will be a competitor for game of the year

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts

Spoiler

Spoiler

XD

Thar be spoilers in yon dungeon D:

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts

I know in MGS1 he says "Your pretty good" but in MGS3 I think that's when you points his fingers.

Oh. I thought he said that in the end of MGS3, when they're on the aircraft with EVA

Spoiler

XD

And we'll keep on till 98% of the forum is colored black...

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
Anyone on here got the Corpse Camo yet? You get it if you beat Extreme.

I saw it on Youtube. You show yourself to soldiers, and they freak out since they think it's a living corpse. It's sweet!

Saifer Dracondrali

Saifer Dracondrali

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 901 posts
that sounds simaler to the Big Boss Face camo you supposedly get after beating it on The Boss Extreme and getting the Big Boss badge...
The Boss still caps as my "all time fav MGS character" btw...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users