Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it just me or does NiGHTS play favorites?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Mysticgamer

Mysticgamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
When Will showed up (which I think was after Helen) She/He makes the comment that this Visitor looks like fun. Then Will wanted to see the city Nights said yes right away but, when Helen wanted to do the sky concert Nights declined until she saw how important it was to Helen. In every world of Will's game there's a vehicle minigame that's kind of fun to play but in Helen's game there's a crappy platform game where she has to find Nights after she had been abandoned except the first time (when they got shot down)

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
One can only think of a single conclusion to this argument.

NiGHTS is a sexist.

Murder's Last Crow

Murder's Last Crow

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
And a sexy one at that.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
It's not that NiGHTS plays favorites. He makes all the Dreamers take a slip of paper from his hat. The paper will say either, "FUN TIEM!" or "Sorry. You did not win this time. Try again!"

Will got the "FUN TIEM!" paper. Nuff said.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
Will's an active kid, playing footsball and stuff.. Helen plays violin when she's not eating ice cream. NiGHTS likes sports? *shrug*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I still say it's FUN TIEM for Will.

Either that or NiGHTS is.... um... playing favorites, yes. *is shot*

ristar

ristar

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, since NiGHTS is linked to whoever NiGHTS dualizes with, I think that may have some impact on NiGHTS' personality. Also, since nitghopia is created by dreamers, it's Helen's own fault that she gets weird minigames. :o

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Helen = Airheaded Bimbo

Will = The Kid Who Actually Understands Something About What The Hell Is Going On.

Yes, I Am Biased Towards Will, I Do Enjoy His Levels Better, And I Will Continue To Overimplement Capitilization. Thank You And Have A Nice Day.

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.

Helen = Airheaded Bimbo

Will = The Kid Who Actually Understands Something About What The Hell Is Going On.

Yes, I Am Biased Towards Will, I Do Enjoy His Levels Better, And I Will Continue To Overimplement Capitilization. Thank You And Have A Nice Day.

I was gonna write the EXACT same thing, but stopped in fear of Helen fans *i know you're out there*. My friend and I actally nicknamed one of our other acquaintances Helen so we can insult her in front of her face. We'll be like "oh helen is so retarded, she can't......" yeah we're mean.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
I swear to God Helen needs a good smack in the back of the head. With a soup ladle.

Will's okay, but he needs to remember he's supposed to be British.

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
Yeah Helen is a pretty big loser. I mean honestly. Who actually has to go through a series of dreams just to be next to their mother? "Oh I feel sooooo guilty." Well ya know what? Who cares?! Stop being wanted to hang out with your "friends" and play a Wii with mommy or something.

NiGHTS didn't feel like dragging through all of those levels when all that needed to be done was for someone to say "Hey Helen stop being such a d##k and go chill with your mom for a day or something."

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and cosplaying characters from the NiD universe. Sometimes I like to make plushies (i'm not too good at large plushies).

Yeah Helen is a pretty big loser. I mean honestly. Who actually has to go through a series of dreams just to be next to their mother? "Oh I feel sooooo guilty." Well ya know what? Who cares?! Stop being wanted to hang out with your "friends" and play a Wii with mommy or something.

NiGHTS didn't feel like dragging through all of those levels when all that needed to be done was for someone to say "Hey Helen stop being such a d##k and go chill with your mom for a day or something."

I agree. Will's problem was more out of his control, seeing that he can't change the fact that his dad had to work. Helen just needed to fix her opposing personalities.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
While I like Helen's levels better jsut because they were mucn MUCH easier for me to get all A ranks on, she is the kind of person I would hate in real life.
GO TO H##L YOU PINK WEARING PREP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
The amount of flaming in this thread is downright disappointing.

You know, some of us out here actually relate to Helen.

Hysteric Polaris

Hysteric Polaris

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Helen was the Visitor I started with and enjoy most. I loved her levels, but thought that Will had a better character design. (His levels were WAY too frustrating for me...but he's a very sweet kid. ^^) Maybe I relate to her better because we're both girls with family passions for violins?

But yeah, I totally noticed that NiGHTS is biased toward Will. I always felt so bad when NiGHTS would lose Helen and she would have to find him again. It was like he was TRYING to get rid of her...and since I related to her more, that really hurt my feelings. D=

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Sorry. Moment of rage. NiGHTS is biased. I can't really relate to either, so I guess I could say to will...
GET A LIFE YOU STUPID JOCK!
lol.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
I want Helen to go fall in a hole.

Helen: "Hello? Hello? NiGHTS? Will? Anyone? This isn't funny anymore..."

NiGHTS: "Hey, want to go for an ice cream?"

Will: "Sure, why not?"

Helen: "Oh.... don't leave! No! At least bring me back a chocolate cone!"

Dreamer#96

Dreamer#96

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Interests:Working on fixing my computer, browsing the internets, learning programming, reading, a nice cold cup of lemonade, sleeping, eating, typing, Minecraft, flooding Hyrule, asdcxsdeoscas...

Oh, and NiGHTS.
NiGHTS Should of just thrown Hellen to Wizeman when NiGHTS had a chance *i doubt helen could handle NiD Wizeman,u know,with all that strange music and all* <_<

Helen:NiGHTS what year is it

NiGHTS:1996

*NiGHTS throws helen to wizeman*

Helen:OMG,whats with the music,and all the *gets hit by a meateor*

Claris:airhead........

Posted Image

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Helen: *sees Wizeman* HI DAD!

Wizeman: What the-- I'm not your dad!

Helen: Yes you are!

Wizeman: Um, is this kid's mother anywhere? She's kind of... yeah, get off! No! Get off!

Helen: DADDY!

NiGHTS: Airhead....

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
Back on topic people.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
*cough cough* Right....

NiGHTS either plays favorites or is just bored with Helen.

Don't blame him/her/it.

I'd be bored with Helen too.

EZEKiAL

EZEKiAL

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts
  • Interests:What?
Or maybe NiGHTS is actually female and is hitting on Will, whereas she sees Helen as competition and thus ditches her in the forest and a museum full of Nightmaren in hopes of getting her killed...

...or maybe he just likes Will more. :lol:

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

The amount of flaming in this thread is downright disappointing.

You know, some of us out here actually relate to Helen.

Yeah, it's really not fair to call her a ditz when she's having odd problems I'm not sure how to categorize; having to make a balance between hanging out with her friends or spending time on the violin with her mother. Though this certainly isn't her intent, she was probably having an independence streak, wanting to spend more time with non-family members, but she couldn't quite handle trying to balance the time, and therefore began favoring the company of her friends because, let's face it, they're her age and aren't an authority in her life.

There also might be a reason her levels are built the way they are. ((On a completely offtopic note, I thought Sky Concert was very redeeming from the footage I've seen. *desperately wants to play that level/stage someday* ))

In the game, Helen's always having to find NiGHTS, rather than the other way around. This is probably to teach her that others aren't necessarily always going to reach out to her when they need her attention, which might be another reason she's spending less time with her mother - her mother's letting her make these decisions for herself, giving her the freedom to hang out with her friends when she wanted rather than being authoritarian or demanding. In short, Helen doesn't realize her wish to spend so much time with her friends is costing her own relationship with her mother, which is why the problem manifests itself in her dreams in the first place.

But now I'm stumbling a little offtopic, so... um... *coughs* Anyway...

In short, don't ditz someone just because the answer to their problem seems so easy to you; sometimes it's either they don't realize they have a problem in the first place or the solution's more difficult than you think, either of which could be the case with Helen (as much as she expresses guilt, she may not realize it's a big enough deal to... well... deal with), or even a combination of both.

EDIT: Oh, and something about why NiGHTS probably didn't find the thought of playing music with her; being a free spirit, NiGHTS probably prefers to play without a set music script (even if he does seem to play that same song over and over again). With Helen, however, he would have to do so, following the constraints of the musical notes. I don't think NiGHTS would really like the idea of playing a duet with someone either, because I'd think it'd be practically impossible to do an on-the-spot improvisational duet (i.e. no practice). Then again, I'm not a musician, nevermind a professional who would know these things, and for all I know stuff like that probably works out somehow in dreams, like it does in those silly musical numbers that pop up seemingly out of nowhere in some movies.

And now I'm rambling really off-topic. *brings that train of thought to a screeching halt* XDDD Just a bunch of theories, though.

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
NiGHTS doesn't always favor Will. He was too late to stop Reala from reaching Will in Lost Park, for example. It could be that NiGHTS is always leaving Helen for Will because Will needs more protection. While Helen seems to keep a somewhat calm head when being attacked (even trying to run to NiGHTS's aid when he was pinned by Reala), Will seems to panic more. He freaked out in his beginning nightmare before the soccer kids turned into ghost things. Helen gave a momentary startled gasp when her mom's face turned mean and the glass shattered, but didn't scream a lot or anything. NiGHTS probably just recognizes that Will is scared more easily and needs more help facing the Nightmarens than Helen. Hey, she's proved she can take care of herself during those on-foot missions.

Murasaki Doku

Murasaki Doku

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

EDIT: Oh, and something about why NiGHTS probably didn't find the thought of playing music with her; being a free spirit, NiGHTS probably prefers to play without a set music script (even if he does seem to play that same song over and over again). With Helen, however, he would have to do so, following the constraints of the musical notes.

Or it could be that he wasn't too keen on the idea of bonking his head on huge music-note-shaped things of metal.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Yeah... it could be that, too (though it doesn't seem to hurt him). I go on way too many tangents. XDD

Hoban

Hoban

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
To be honest, I kinda thought NiGHTS was better to Helen XD He wanted to rush Will and just goof around when they first met, but he was pretty calm and gentleman-like with Helen. Didn't Owl or someone say that each dreamer creates their own Nightopia? It could very well be possible that in the same way the dreamers' Nightopias are different, they have their own NiGHTS who also adapts to their personalities.

Helen wanted more independence from her mother, the authority figure in her life, and wanted to go out and do whatever she wanted rather than do what she felt she had to do. It hurt her mother, but she wanted her to be happy at the same time, so she didn't really say or do anything about it.

With that in mind, NiGHTS could take taken the role of both friend and mother. Helen wanted independence, NiGHTS gave her just that so she could learn and grow on her own. When Helen wanted to have fun with a friend, NiGHTS was there for her. And when NiGHTS was taken away for any reason, Helen would go chasing after him. Maybe this helped Helen to realize that if she isn't careful she could lose her relationship with her mother, and realized how important the people around her truly were.

As for the sky concert, I saw a bit of a reversal. Helen wanted to play on-stage, when in reality she didn't seem to really care too much or concern herself with it. So when she wanted to actually go up and do something, NiGHTS was the one who acted like, "You didn't want to do it before, why should I?" So he didn't concern himself with it very much either and didn't seem to care. but after seeing that Helen was serious and wanted this very much, that's when he finally reached out his hand and invited her.

As for Will, I think NiGHTS was taking the role of friend and father instead. Will hardly got to do many things with his father anymore and was sad about it, so NiGHTs was there to kind of pick up the slack and do things with Will that his father couldn't because he was so busy with work. He was there more to care for Will and build up his self-esteem, protecting and guiding him. In a way, Helen and Will both needed NiGHTS, but in different ways. When not being with his father was beyond Will's control, NiGHTS would be there for him. When Helen was away from her mother by choice, NiGHTS made the choice to leave her alone. It's like telling her "This is how it feels to be alone, this is what you're doing."

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Hoban, I think you just wrote my favourite theory about JoD.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
Holy crap, Hoban, you've done your homework. O___O

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
I also feel Hoban's hit the nail on the head.

Mysticgamer

Mysticgamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Or maybe NiGHTS is actually female and is hitting on Will, whereas she sees Helen as competition and thus ditches her in the forest and a museum full of Nightmaren in hopes of getting her killed...

...or maybe he just likes Will more. :D

That would explain why she only let's Will ride on her vehicle modes.

venomnights15

venomnights15

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I really didn't noticed until now I'm sure the developers has some abscure reason but I don't mabye they want to give the impression that the boys story is better i don't know

To be honest, I kinda thought NiGHTS was better to Helen XD He wanted to rush Will and just goof around when they first met, but he was pretty calm and gentleman-like with Helen. Didn't Owl or someone say that each dreamer creates their own Nightopia? It could very well be possible that in the same way the dreamers' Nightopias are different, they have their own NiGHTS who also adapts to their personalities.

Helen wanted more independence from her mother, the authority figure in her life, and wanted to go out and do whatever she wanted rather than do what she felt she had to do. It hurt her mother, but she wanted her to be happy at the same time, so she didn't really say or do anything about it.

With that in mind, NiGHTS could take taken the role of both friend and mother. Helen wanted independence, NiGHTS gave her just that so she could learn and grow on her own. When Helen wanted to have fun with a friend, NiGHTS was there for her. And when NiGHTS was taken away for any reason, Helen would go chasing after him. Maybe this helped Helen to realize that if she isn't careful she could lose her relationship with her mother, and realized how important the people around her truly were.

As for the sky concert, I saw a bit of a reversal. Helen wanted to play on-stage, when in reality she didn't seem to really care too much or concern herself with it. So when she wanted to actually go up and do something, NiGHTS was the one who acted like, "You didn't want to do it before, why should I?" So he didn't concern himself with it very much either and didn't seem to care. but after seeing that Helen was serious and wanted this very much, that's when he finally reached out his hand and invited her.

As for Will, I think NiGHTS was taking the role of friend and father instead. Will hardly got to do many things with his father anymore and was sad about it, so NiGHTs was there to kind of pick up the slack and do things with Will that his father couldn't because he was so busy with work. He was there more to care for Will and build up his self-esteem, protecting and guiding him. In a way, Helen and Will both needed NiGHTS, but in different ways. When not being with his father was beyond Will's control, NiGHTS would be there for him. When Helen was away from her mother by choice, NiGHTS made the choice to leave her alone. It's like telling her "This is how it feels to be alone, this is what you're doing."

-someone good at understanding the meaning of things well done hoban

Hoban

Hoban

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
Eheh... this is all coming from someone who never played the games ^^; But I observe a lot and listened closely to the storyline and cutscenes. Anybody coulda picked it up if they really listened.

You could also take it as he was imitating their personalities and behavior. Will was playful and wanted to have fun and do things, and so did NiGHTS. So he had fun with Will and did things with him that he couldn't anymore because of his father. And as NiGHTS imitated Helen, he was the one who walked away and left Helen alone like she left her mother, and he didn't want to go on-stage and "do what he felt he had to" simply because somebody else wanted to. Just like Helen and her mother.

When you think about it, he was giving them both exactly what they deserved.

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
Hoban and Meggiemacat, those were actually good theories... I wonder if the creators of the game were on the same page as you guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users