Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

*jaw DROPS off of face in horror* Orphan Works...

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Someone interviews Brad Holland about it...

Wikipedia Entry on Orphan Works

Okay, now for the sake of those who don't want to click links, here's the gist of it: all art, all photographs, all sketches, WILL LOSE ALL COPYRIGHT PROTECTION (at least in the U.S.) BY THIS SUMMER IF CONGRESS PASSES THIS LEGISLATION. And if you've already registered it YOU MUST REGISTER IT AGAIN WHEN THE BILL PASSES OR IT WILL ALSO LOSE COPYRIGHT PROTECTION.

Please check the links before you panic from my words; I might not be completely accurate on some things (like the 'by this summer' thing, and possibly having to re register things), but this is serious.

Sign the deviantART petition against it.

deviantART news bullitein that explains it better.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I've signed multiple petitions against this.... I CAN'T BELIVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Copyright laws are a messy situation and I have no idea how they could be fixed. But I shall say that a rich public domain is something tragically missing from the United States. There is too much protection for copyrights and it really angers me that things like Mickey Mouse will pretty much NEVER become public domain despite the fact that the creator has been dead for decades.

I am all for protecting artist works for people who are still alive but I do not think copyright/trademark should be inherited. But also look at great creative things that use elements of other artistic creations (ie sampling in music). The artist may not even care but the company will blow the new work away with a legal explosion since the record company claims to own the music rather than the individuals that make it.

BASICALLY more things must be public domain. Or at VERY LEAST creative commons? Yet this solution does not sound like a helpful one. I hope no individuals are hurt too much by it? Seriously things are a legal mess and something quite radical that I cannot conceive of must be done.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Um. o.o Maybe I glossed over the wiki entry too fast, but I think the "it's up for grabs" thing only applies if they can't contact the original artist? So as long as you sign/watermark your art or something similar (i.e. for music) then I don't think it's a huge problem... though I may be wrong.

Meggiemaccat

Meggiemaccat

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
Mleh, yeah; on another forum there was discussion that made me realize it wasn't the end of the world for artists. XPPPP But still, I can see a lot of bad stuff happening as a result of this.

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
Yeah, for me, it is. My book world, the characters I created, their names, physical apperance, etc...... ARE ALL IN GRAVE DANGER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
No they're not. If you publish your work it's automaticaly proof of copyright unless your work is a copy of anothers. You can't copyright an idea, only a solid work that expresses that idea. Copyrighting an 'idea' would be a patent for a design or an invention.

This law isn't as big a deal as people are making it out to be. Like nemoide said, it would actualy do good things too.

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
Besides, there's been some misunderstandings about the whole thing. There's info here, here and here.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Common sense prevails <3

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
Yeah, um, I did my own research, and this isn't that horrible after all, at least, not for me.
*sigh of relief*
I'm glad, Unumato lives!

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
I'll be closing this then. There is no reason to hop on the panic wagon people, this is far from a disaster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users