Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A trip down NiGHTS nostalgia lane

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
When you think of 1996 what else INSTANTLY springs to mind (other than NiGHTS coming out). Music, TV, News, movies, games, ANYTHING.

You know when you see something and it makes you think 'WOW i was listening to that the day i first played NiGHTS' or whatever.
Memories that connect to 96...

Lets see, first off in terms of music around at the time i always used to watch this early morning music thing called 'The Chart Show' on the TV at the weekend. I remember they were giving away a Saturn and a copy of NiGHTS at the end and some song came on called Escaping... wait i'll find it..

I can't stand the song but it ALWAYSALWAYS reminds me of the game because of that TV program!

What else... Hmm....
This song obviously since it came out so close to the game and i ended up adoring them:

Then one of my friends was obsessed with this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRaieyN77UI
And sang it all the time until I ended up liking it too. I dubbed it Dreams Dreams the 2nd lol...

And then THIS abomination of a song i was made to sing in a musical >O< This song will forever remind me of Dreams Dreams too because of the time it happened to pop into my life. Lol that movie was bad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1IKhgkaD-Q

and other stuff I'll add later, gotta go eat.

tinfoil

tinfoil

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I think of preschool and pretending to be a Transformers character. Ah, the good ol' days.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
My family upgraded our computer's operating system to Windows 95! It came on about 30 floppy discs and ran slowly. But it had fun games... like minesweeper? We had Microsoft Publisher which allowed me to print out paper-airplane designs which were very awesome.
Independence Day and Twister were both awesome movies. I saw them both in my town's drive-in theater.
"Weird Al" Yankovic's Bad Hair Day was the best CD in the universe.
I was really into Spider-Man. At the time Peter Parker was no longer Spider-Man, in fact it was revealed that Peter Parker was actually a CLONE of the REAL Peter Parker who was going by the name Ben Reilly. It later turned out this was wrong and Ben Reilly DISSOLVED into GENETIC MUSH.
I did not yet own a Saturn but really wanted one. My Genesis was pretty excellent though! I played Vectorman and Vectorman 2 a lot.

I was only ten years old! My memories are not so strong.

TRiPPY

TRiPPY

Your Mum

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
  • Interests:scribbling
Independance day was the best movie EVER. EVER. I went to see it 3 times and always cried at the presidents speech *lmao* lame i know.

ayamemaiden

ayamemaiden

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts
I love that Somewhere song.

dor

dor

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Independance day was the best movie EVER. EVER. I went to see it 3 times and always cried at the presidents speech *lmao* lame i know.

Independance day really disappoint me, its start out great but somewhere in the middle its became really bad
probably when you see soldier from Israel joining in to the war
yes i know it strange comeing from i guy who liveing in Israel, but a lot of people here think so too
maybe its because its reminding as too much of the reality when were going to see a fiction movie

in anycase
1996 reminds me of amm
i dont remember alot from than :P
i was like ten
oh Space Jam came out and
guns and roses official separated
i wasn't into games back than so i dont remember any good games
and that about all i can think of right now

Amy Rose

Amy Rose

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic the hedgehog, anime, manga, drawing, books, photoshop, j-pop and rock, reading and writing fanfiction, cooking and lots of other stuff....... ^_^
I remember leaving school and starting my first job. I also met my husband.
I remember the Spice Girls being huuuuuge and getting told off for wearing my big black boots to work :P
Such a happy time for me....

Rhapsody

Rhapsody

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and cosplaying characters from the NiD universe. Sometimes I like to make plushies (i'm not too good at large plushies).
I vaguely remember seeing a commercial for NiGHTS (or some Sega Saturn game that involved a purple blob) around that time. This is surprising only because I was one or two then. And I think I fell in a lake around that time too...

iLLViLLAiN

iLLViLLAiN

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,992 posts
  • Interests:Mainly video games although I'm also interested in art, poetry, and the occasional political story. Oh wait I forgot anime XD
I didn't even know about NiGHTS until later in the 90's so I couldn't have thought it back in 96. Anyway let's see.

Arthur(My most favorite children's show EVAR!!!)

Sonic the Hedgehog 2(One of my most favorite Sonic games)

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
I was 4 yrs. old and that was back when my parents were anti-video game freaks. Until we got internet and I found the world of emulators, the only video games I could play were CD-Man(actually, it's a really good Pac-Man rip off) and Commander Keen(another really good game).

Ok, let's see, I was living in Texas at the time. Scratch that, I was living in New Hampshire at the time, we were probably getting ready to move to Texas(moved there at the beginning of '97). One of my friends did have a Saturn, but we never played it, instead we did stuff outside like make forts and climb trees. I don't think he had NiD anyways.

Moonlighttrill

Moonlighttrill

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Interests:Music, Designing, Writing, NiGHTS, Zelda, Tennis (as of latey i haven't played it but I have wii sports and Sega Superstar Tennis), chasing busses to get around town, scaring off neighbors by showing my teeth and growling.
My grandparents were in another town on business for a few months and i joined them there for the summer. That summer is mainly what comes to mind, and surprisingly enough it was NiGHTS that sticks out most about that year as i played it that summer at the blockbuster down the street.

captain boombatty

captain boombatty

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts
Anyone remember Gamesmaster with Dominik Diamond (later presented by Dexter Fletcher) and Patrick Moore? Whenever I think back to when I first saw nights I think of this show. One of the greatest TV shows ever made!!

Icachan

Icachan

Undercover.

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Pretty much everything and then some.
-96... I was eleven. Hm.... I remember Dolly the cloned sheep.

Diogothedreamer

Diogothedreamer

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:I am an avid gamer but also enjoy all kinds of other hobbies such as going out to museums,events and such. As it is currently Winter it means hibernating in house rather than going out a lot. <br /><br /> I should also mention that growing up playing on SEGa systems it is now my favorite game company in the whole world. The games developed by it always inspire me a lot and remind me of all those games many years ago such as Nights that I have many fond memories of. <br /><br />I also am really creative and tend to do all kinds of art such as drawings,painting and such. However, lately I have focused more on my computing course so have not done much. :)
Well back in 96 I was about 7 or 8 and I believe that was the time when I got my SEGA saturn!!! :(

I also remember it was the first year I started high school in 5th year whcih was funny because I had to get this bus but always woke up late, so my mother ended up driving me there literally everyday. It was a mostly quiet life so I mostly remember playing football and doing other stuff with my old friends. But going back to when I got my saturn it came with this SEGA Ages compilation and that was all I played for like a month, mainly lots of Space Harrier to get to the last stage andthe joys of outrun multiple endings. I really dont remember ever seeing NiGHTS in the superstore where I found Saturn games but the 3 places that had them in the nearest city only had a few titles to choose from. I still remember the tears of joy when I found the Sonic Jam compilation. :)

I will be honest and also say that I didnt buy NiGHTS until about 5 years ago but mainly because it was incredibly hard to find games in Portugal. When I came to London it was like being in the proverbial sweet shop when I stepped into GAME, as I never seen so many games in one place.

viperxmns

viperxmns

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,949 posts
I graduated ( barely) elementary school.. starting high school.. hm.. what can I think of.. really, I paid attention to stuff like NiGHTS more than a lot of things. My obsession was just beginning..

eh, stuff will come to me..

DiGi Valentine

DiGi Valentine

Overlord Bunny Man

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts
I remember music was becoming a major part of my life and i listened to a lot of it.
I remember Michael Jackson's HiStory World Tour and going to his concert (the dude was electric. greatest concert ever)
I remember having rivalry with a boy in my class over the same girl we both liked.
I remember spending every weekend at my fathers house, causing mischief with my cousins. Staying up late with my cousin Phew, drawing Sonic the Hedgehog fan characters and drinking vasts amounts of Coca Cola. I remember going with them to the arcade to play 4-player Daytona USA because we didn't have a Saturn yet and we heard the console version lacked mulitplayer options anyway.
I remember the days were longer and the sun seemed to shine brighter.
I remember an egg and flour fight in the local park on the last day of my term at Primary School.
I was 11 years old in 1996.

1996 was really carefree for me. The 90's were the best years of my life so far and i think the older i get the more i miss those good old days.

Kids. Appreciate your young days because once you get old there ain't no turning back. *nods*

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
Well, I wouldn't really know. I was four at the time. I think the biggest thing that happened to me was I sat on that bee and I realized then and there I was highly allergic to bees.

Yes. Here's a nightmare for you. My right ass cheek swelled up to the size of a small watermelon and I couldn't sit properly for a week.

Nemoide

Nemoide

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Things
Ooh, I have so many more memories being unlocked as I read this thread. Space Jam. Cloning. I think I was starting to get into "punk" music as it was becoming popular amongst kids at the time. I thought The Offspring and Bad Religion were the best bands of all time and space. I later sold all of their CDs I owned to buy more heavy metal once I got into that (something I regret doing).

Commander Keen(another really good game).

Oh man, I loved the Commander Keen games. I played it since I was a small child and all through high school. I even own an official Dopefish mug and a homemade Dopefish cap... but those were not mine until the 2000s!

I think Duke Nukem 3D came out around that time. I had a friend who owned it and I thought it was totally awesome, even cooler than Wolfenstein 3D.

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts
When we moved to Mississippi we left our computer, so no more Commander Keen. But a few months ago I found it for download and was surprised I still thought it was awesome.

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
  • Interests:I like NiGHTS, Sonic games, the Nightmare Before Christmas (I wonder what would happen if Oogie and Reala met... hmmmm.....) Writing, drawing, art in any way, shape, or form, hard rock music, dancing wildly even though I can't dance for crap. I write poetry and lyrics (although they're not very good T__T) and comedy movies. I love the Dreamcast podcast that DiGi and TRiPPY put on. I also enjoy thinking outside the box. I'm what is known as a Meathead. I can laugh at myself, think outside the box, and smile. Meatheads are smarter than your average Joe, with much more common sense and the rare ability to find creative solutions to problems. My idol is a man named Jimmy Dolittle. Look him up ^.~
I remember my mother telling me she had a Sega Genesis as a kid, complete with all the Sonic Genesis games. She apparently absolutely adored the games and even aspired to marry Sonic as a child.

So Why does she disapprove of my gaming now?!?!

Envy

Envy

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I was 6 years old and in 1st grade in 1996...:lol:
And I remember getting my first dog, Mickey. He's gone now. ;-;
I remember getting Sonic and Knuckles for my birthday. I had to have it because I was obsessed with Knuckles.
I remember plotting evil things against the little girl that lived next door to me.
I remember trying to stay up late every weekend so I could watch Dexter's Laboratory. XD
And I remember Dolly and the Olympics and going to New Jersey...
And my parents separated around 1996..

And finally I remember a commercial about a certain Sega Saturn game that was like Sonic, but not.. o.o

DAiLiGHT

DAiLiGHT

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts
You know what else I just remembered? I remember being the only, I mean this in the most literal term, ONLY kindergartner in my entire school who knew how to read. I was three when I taught myself to read, four when I started kindergarten. My birthday is in late September XD

Mitsuu

Mitsuu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

You know what else I just remembered? I remember being the only, I mean this in the most literal term, ONLY kindergartner in my entire school who knew how to read. I was three when I taught myself to read, four when I started kindergarten. My birthday is in late September XD

Wow, that's sad. I was also taught to read about when I was three, but I wasn't the only one who could read in kindergarten, everyone in my class could read(this was in Texas, weird Texans).

Musashi_HUmar

Musashi_HUmar

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Books, Music, Guitar, Anime, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Movies
Oh man... 1996... Well, let's see...

I started first grade
My Star Wars obsession was winding down
I remember being a MAJOR fan of Legos back then
I had been only been gaming for a couple of years(lots and lots of NES)
The only thing I was really allowed to watch on TV was PBS
My parents would only let me listen to oldies on the radio(you can see how well that worked, according to my sig)
I was almost completely helpless on a computer. All I was really allowed to do was stuff like Microsoft Paint
I loved my action figures
I already at that age figured out that my mom was not a very nice person and did not have many friends.
People in my class thought that me and my best friend at the time were going to take over the world

That's about all I can think of for now. If I think of any more, I'll post it.

TRAViS

TRAViS

THE GUY THAT BOUGHT THE BETA

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
1996...I would've been 8 years old. So much I remember from that year.
- Had my communion, spent the money I got from it on a Saturn with Daytona USA.
- Throughout the year picked up a paltry 3 more games for the Saturn: Panzer Dragoon II Zwei, Andretti Racing, and Thunder Strike 2.
- Fell victim to the Big N hype machine like two weeks before this game about a flying purple jester everyone seemed to love that consumed every publication ever came out. Got an N64 at Christmas and never looked back for the next eleven years. Sadly.
- I got suspended from school for kicking some kid in the specials. (he deserved it)
- Got into a puppy-love relationship.
- I would watch the Sonic cartoons on our local station early in the morning on a 12" black and white.
- Also watched the Garfield TV show, Arthur, and the Magic School Bus. Plus shows on Nickelodeon...Rugrats was sick. And Tiny Toon Adventures!
- I was for some reason obsessed with the Spin Doctor's one and only album at the time. I think.
- We had to call lots of IT type people because I crashed our 486 computer running Windows 95.
- Twice.
- Had my first voyages into the PC gaming world with Command and Conquer: Red Alert, NASCAR Racing, and Duke Nukem 3D. Second level of Duke 3D? Yeah, definitely not appropriate for an eight-year-old.
- AOL dial-up. At the time? It was a whole new world and the internet was still that strange thing you used to look at meticulously arranged pixels.
- My dad quit his job to start his own small business. He still runs it 12 years later without a problem.
- Chickenpox. Our power went out too. For three days.
- One of my fondest memories of playing games with my grandmother at the kitchen table. And the only time I saw anyone get a royal flush in 5-card draw from a freshly shuffled deck.
- My grandmother passed on just a few months later. :blink:

Lord_Gourri

Lord_Gourri

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
1996, let's see.....

I was really obsessed with Super Mario 64.
My favorite channel was Nickelodeon.
Played my SNES all the time.
Used to go to my friend's house to play his Playstation and beating Donkey Kong Country 3 there.
The year I started my ongoing fake Nintendo franchise.
Had never heard of Saturn or NiGHTS at the time, sadly.

Lots of things during this time. I really don't remember much except Super Mario 64 was a big thing back then.

Dark Magician

Dark Magician

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Interests:Creative writing, drawing, video games, manga/anime, and astronomy. Writing more would probably take too much time.
Back in 1996, I remember...

-Playing video games at my aunt's house (since we didn't own systems of our own then)
-Discovering exactly how dubbed the Sailor Moon anime was
-Playing Sonic games
-First crush on a teacher
-First pure hatred towards another teacher
-Becoming a future sympathizer in Edward Elric's Anti-Short Army
-Decent to good cartoons
- Being 11 and starting middle school

That's it for now

TORiAS_the_fallen

TORiAS_the_fallen

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Writing, art, gaming, music, all the things people in their 20s usually like to do.
I think of Megaman X, and watching my eldest cousin beat it time and time again.
Pop rockes, a Disney thing with lots of oldies.
Spinnig with my cousins to those oldies, and feeling reeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaly dizzy afterwards.
Megaman 8 release! WOOT!!!! GO SEGA SATURN!!!!!!!
Anticipating my bro's birth.
My cousin with a fairy tutu on his head.
My characters back then, Diamond Girl, and SJ. Wow, young... I was young.
Pretending my hands were people.
Marshy, a lady shaped like a marsh mallow, and Carry, a man shaped like a carrot.
Seeing a friend of my cousins playing NiGHTS on his Saturn and thinking, oh, cute! I love purple! (I forgot that memory! Wow! I saw NiGHTS that year!!!!)

Cerulean Lee

Cerulean Lee

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
I try not to remember too much of 1996 =( it was the year I went from middle school to high school and it was not a good year for me. I remember watching Apollo 13 in science class but I think that was a 1995 movie.

I remember riding the Sky Whirl, back when they still had it at Six Flags - http://www.negative-g.com/SFGAM/SFGAM2000S...ky-Whirl-1.html
That was a sad day for me too. And I got food poisoning from one of the restaurants at the park to top it off, and missed the middle school graduation ceremony because of it.

The wise Kitsune

The wise Kitsune

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, music, yeah
I was only 1 year old in 1996. Time flies. D: Some things I remember from the 90's are: Pokemon, The OLD Cartoon Network Lol, Nintendo 64

Snugs

Snugs

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I was like, one or two in 1996.
The 2nd act of Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1 had me screaming and stuff. Wtf, there was these blocks going up and down and little spike pits, how was I suppose to comprehend how to make it past something so complex at such a young age?!

And my sister hiding my pillow Snugs. =(

My first memories. =)

JAZZ-man

JAZZ-man

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts
ah 1996, the year that Rugrats was popular, and it's the year that my sister Katilyn was born; on June 21

Penelopi

Penelopi

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:Catholicism/Catholic Church, NiGHTS (of course), Klonoa, Star Trek (except the last series, Enterprise), My Favorite Martian (60s show, not the 1999 movie), Pokemon (anime through Johto and all games), Zelda, Mega Man, reading, writing, drawing, hanging out with my friends, other fun videogames, a good joke
1996...so long ago...or, at least it is to me because I was only 4/5. We lived in Alexandria County, Virginia. That was when we ran around outside barefoot (my brothers and I). The ONLY time when we ran around outside barefoot. For some reason, we stopped doing that once we moved to Florida. We had our own personal playground in the backyard. Eventually we gave that up when we moved up to Virginia again from Florida. Dad had the only computer to himself for most of the time. There were stone heads with scary faces in the basement that I hated going past. And everyone I wanted to be friends with got annoyed with me following them around everywhere. Ever since then, I've been afraid of being an annoyance to people. I think my godfamily visited from Hawaii that year, too. I got to see a close childhood friend of mine, the youngest son (who's a year older than me). That was before I had a crush on him. I remember wanting to watch Rugrats, but my parents wouldn't let me because it was a bad influence or something like that. Everyone else watched Rugrats. My dad's friend let me watch Rugrats at his house. I couldn't understand why I suddenly wasn't allowed to watch Rugrats. Now, I have no idea why I wanted to watch that.

Innotech

Innotech

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:videogames, cars, girls, anime, drawing, origami, weather, classic rock music, trance, japanese and asian cultures, catgirls &gt;^^&lt;<br />
Linda Ronstadt is amazing, and she was quite cute too. I vaguely remember that song, but my personal nostalgia with NiGHTs started in 1997. IN 1996 for me it was the N64 show. Mario 64, Pilotwings, WaveRace....great stuff. Musicwise I wasnt really into music much yet but I remember hearing stuff from Green Day and ALice in Chains and Pearl Jam stuff like that and really starting to love it.
Also, for me, 1996 was the beginnig of a great racing game franchise called NEed for Speed and I continued following this series until NFS6 around 2001 or so. Then it pretty much nosedived to the crap it is today. but my God the memories I had playing and editing stuff in that game. I dont know if I am lucky now, since I am finally able to actually play NiGHTS into DReams on Saturn in my own time and experience many of tyhe wonders for the first time ever. I Never got an opportunity to play most of the game only a level here or there when my cousin had the game, so a lot of it had never before been experienced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users