Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What if there are voices?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
How about this.

Maria: Saiyonara, Shadow the Hedgihoggu...

Maria in english: Adios, Shadow the Hedgehog

WHEN DID MARIA BECOME MONDO COOL?? That she had to say something cheesy like "Adios"?! She said goodbye! Both those words mean goodbye and all they had to say was what? You guessed it! "Goodbye!" But they couldn't even do that right, they went with "Adios" like the frickin Terminator! :P Sooo horrible.....

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

This is true. But Sonic Team blows with voice acting, they don't know how to find these super amazing voice actors. its almost as though they go to their children and say "Hey Jr.! You wanna be in daddy's project?" And then.. Tails was born. :P

It does seem that way doesn't it. Lets hope NiGHTS doesn't get stuck with a Tails or Amy voice...

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
They're just being racist. Assuming that with a name like 'Maria,' she'd have to speak spanish. Oy. Lot of real smart folk over at American SonicTeam xD

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
You see why I keep the Japanese track for the Sonic games? xD And to be technical: "Sayonara, Shadou za hejihoggu." :3

Leedz

Leedz

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
There really are some awesome voice actors out there. My favorite dubbing team EVER is the group that did Rurouni Kenshin. The actors in that usually do work together in a team in whatever they do, and they really get into the scenes they're acting. I can't STAND watching RK in Japanese because the English work is just so well done. x_x I always think about them whenever I'm watching or playing something with bad actors -- or a bad director. There are a lot of times when good actors are stifled by a bad director.

I'd most prefer that there be no set language if nothing else. If there must be dialogue I'd prefer it be gibberish + subtitles, as I mentioned in my last post. What I think might be the best middleground to please everyone, really would just be narration boxes. Something that'll explain plot points, but not spoken by any specific character. Cut scenes could be acted by the characters, and it could emphasize facial expression and body language. It'd also allow for the grunts, squeaks, cries, gibberish, and etc. that we all said we're interested in without having anyone actually speak. The characters exclaimed in the original game, and I don't think exclaimations are out of the question in this one, either. It's just having recognizable words that would take the magic away.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

You see why I keep the Japanese track for the Sonic games? xD And to be technical: "Sayonara, Shadou za hejihoggu." :3

Why thank you, you smart alec! :P But I like my ranty little spellings! I'll get you next time, Gadget!

And on another note, those Kenshin voices were a nightmare! I don't know if they got better over time, but from when I started watching, I had to stop because it was too much. "San o Sook"?!

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences

Why thank you, you smart alec! :lol: But I like my ranty little spellings! I'll get you next time, Gadget!

And on another note, those Kenshin voices were a nightmare! I don't know if they got better over time, but from when I started watching, I had to stop because it was too much.

:3 You're quite welcome. <3 XD And the Kenshin voices were off at the beginning, but they were pretty good, last I saw it.

And yay for text boxes!

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Whereas I loved japanese RK and couldn't stand the english one o.o but I suppose there are different sensibilities about such things. I don't like pretty much any dubbed thing that they stick on cartoon network except the cowboy bebop. The latter half of DBZ was terrible and it seems they've been reusing those bad VAs in most of the later series.

Oh! Now, I did like the actors in the Yu Yu Hakusho movie. Not the series. The movie folks actually sounded good.

But this is getting sort of offtopic.. but seriously, if I have to here 'sanosuk' one more time xD

Of course anyone can like what they like.. but I expect my vas from anime and movies to sound as good as damned actors. If Japan's serious about it, we should be too n.n and that goes for the new NiGHTS game if they have voices.

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
*Throws it back on topic* NiGHTS voices!! We fear 'em, we want em!! Thoughts, thoughts??? :lol:

Malan

Malan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Video games, internet, music, you? ^^
I'm afraid about voices... look at the last Sonic games, especially Sonic Rush, voices are useless and make me a headache X_x.

It could be a good idea but I don't want a NiGHTS who says "Yahoo!" at every paraloop °°

Silvia Callisto

Silvia Callisto

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Location:I don't know, but it sure looks like hell froze over.
Oh, good gosh, do NOT remind me about the dubbed Sailor Moon! *hates the names, hates the voices, hates the dialog in the dub*

Yeah, if anything, I don't want any stupid 4kids voices doing NJoD. The Dreamers I'm fine with having voice-acted (and they had darn well better get the voices right, especially for Claris - she's a soprano, from what I can tell), but the Maren...no, not the Maren. The music-talk would work, probably - it would be rather interesting.

And I second the no "Yahoo!" at every paraloop. It would get incredibly annoying.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

It could be a good idea but I don't want a NiGHTS who says "Yahoo!" at every paraloop °°

Quoted for truth. o.o And yes, it could work, with the right tone and no real language, but if NiGHTS sounded like Dubois... ugh.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list.

Yeah. @_@; It'll say, like... "Is that so?" and the OFFICIAL subtitling will say "All right, then!". I mean, really? What's so hard to translate about THAT? D:

But... yeah, Sonic Team doesn't have the shiniest track record. >: If they do voicing, they really need to do well. xD

-Cough-Sonic Adventure?-Cough- Gotta get rid of this cold...X3

But to reply to your earlier statement; Aye. I think our two ideas combined would have a very unique and dramatic approach. XD IF not, then I'll keep it in mind for my video games if I ever get any made.

Why didn't I think of that, that would be cool and possibly the best thing to do. I remember in a song based off of Sai's PiD, they edited a voice and made it Reala and it actually sounded like it should be his actual voice, it just sounded so...him lol.

Oh there's many cases like that with things that don't speak and one day you just hear it and it's like: "OMG! YES!" And why you didn't think about it? I don't know. The reason I thought about it is because my fanficiton was actually going to be written in Move Script format; just for the fun about it. As such, my guy and I both sat down and discussed what their voices would sound like and the female/male meshed voice overs for NiGHTS came into form. X3

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs

Quoted for truth. o.o And yes, it could work, with the right tone and no real language, but if NiGHTS sounded like Dubois... ugh.

Please tell me thats not a real game...

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
OH dear. thats a scary thought. with segas crazyness in the secret rings, it sounds like it will be terrible. something like "will smith as the voice as NiGHTS" and "brittney spears as Reala" which is odd because britneyy was the voice of darth vader in lego starwars X_X or something stupid like that.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list.

OH dear. thats a scary thought. with segas crazyness in the secret rings, it sounds like it will be terrible. something like "will smith as the voice as NiGHTS" and "brittney spears as Reala" which is odd because britneyy was the voice of darth vader in lego starwars X_X or something stupid like that.

As a JOKE scene, I think that would be amusing. Like, little bloopers when you beat the game or something..

But in Lego Star Wars? Not to get off topic, but it didn't matter who voiced who; no one TALKED. XD They had small voice chips, that's it, so I wouldn't care if Spears did Vader's voice or not.

....Actually, with how insane Britney Spears is getting now? Give her a bottle of Jin or something before she comes in, voice her weird lines and slurred speech, and I can see the potential of that being used in the game somewhere. Maybe if they digitalized it and adjusted it to sound more maleish and insane, I would say it can be Jackal's if he made an appearance. XD

Inubu

Inubu

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Drawing,writing,movie making,voice acting,and sculpting.
I'm a little bit afraid about it,but if there is I won't help but be a little excited.I mean the only sound the original NiGHTS cast made were grunts except Reala and we couldn't understand what he was saying.NiGHTS grunt sounded alot like a girls voice so I'm afraid they will use that as an excuse to make NiGHTS a girl and hire a female voice actress.But hey I won't complain if they will or won't have voices,you'll never know. :P

Misaki-chan

Misaki-chan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fashion design, art, music, shoujo anime/manga, a couple of video games, and maybe acting or modeling

How about this.

WHEN DID MARIA BECOME MONDO COOL?? That she had to say something cheesy like "Adios"?! She said goodbye! Both those words mean goodbye and all they had to say was what? You guessed it! "Goodbye!" But they couldn't even do that right, they went with "Adios" like the frickin Terminator! :P Sooo horrible.....

I thought "Adios" was in the Japanese?

:huh:

Sonic X profile: Maria. Check the "quote" thingy... I'm pretty sure it was the same in Sonic Adventure 2. I could check... it's one of the few games I actually own. :D

Anyway, I'd love to hear a lot more voice work in Journey of Dreams. But, like a lot of people here, I don't want them to change the weird "Marenspeak" from the first game. I don't even think it's necessary to understand what they're saying, personally.

Nightingale

Nightingale

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Please tell me thats not a real game...

"Deep Fear" for the Sega Saturn. Sorry Jax.

Also. Even though (in the first game) the dreamers were supposed to kinda be in Anytown, The World, and thus didn't have a set language... if the new kids are gonna be British, then I could see them having a language. Though I still think the maren should just squeak or something.

catchan2007

catchan2007

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:Drawing<br />Writing<br />Anime/manga (Fav titles include D. Gray-man, Buso Renkin, Gurren Lagann and a few more but if I typed it all out, there'd be no space left!!)
Maren should have a language that can only be understood by reading the subtitles, like Yorda from ICO (but with English subs all the way through) or the Sims (with subtitles).

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

"Deep Fear" for the Sega Saturn. Sorry Jax.

Also. Even though (in the first game) the dreamers were supposed to kinda be in Anytown, The World, and thus didn't have a set language... if the new kids are gonna be British, then I could see them having a language. Though I still think the maren should just squeak or something.

Oh dear god you are serious. D: Voice acting in the old days sucked a lot though. Oh wait...they still do. So did translation. (If the people had taken just a little effort to fix the damn "All Your Base" crap then it wouldn't be all over the internet right now. >.< )

If the children are meant to sound British I hope to God they get British voice actors. I don't want to hear an American trying to sound British. No! Don't do it!

Squeaky Reala? :P What like Okami talk?

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

If the children are meant to sound British I hope to God they get British voice actors. I don't want to hear an American trying to sound British. No! Don't do it!

They could hire the people who voiced Sudeki! They were fabulous voice actors!

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

They could hire the people who voiced Sudeki! They were fabulous voice actors!

I don't know what that is. Please explain. Did they do what I just said? I hope not.

universalperson

universalperson

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

How about this.

No, she said in the English version "Sayonoara, Shadow". I'm pretty darn sure.

About voice acting: Well, Ryan Drummond, Sonic's old VA, has always been Sonic for me. And I loved Eggman's old voice actor...but he died (the new one is a pale imitation).

There have been phenomenal American voice actors, at least in American cartoons. Tony Jay would make a great Wizeman...although he's also dead. Darn it. But Jackle could be played by Mark Hamill. He can do crazy.

Really, its a matter of who is casting.

Misaki-chan

Misaki-chan

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fashion design, art, music, shoujo anime/manga, a couple of video games, and maybe acting or modeling

So I was right! :blink:

I haven't checked yet, but I'm still convinced that "adios" was in the Japanese version, not the English version.

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

I don't know what that is. Please explain. Did they do what I just said? I hope not.

Sudeki is an rpg for the XboX, american made, which some consider blasphemy. :blink: The art is questionable and I heard the game ain't wonderful (I do really love one character design though.) I never did hear those voices..

~Tsuki~

~Tsuki~

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:My main hobbies are reading, sewing, video games, manga, anime, and various other things. ^^
Speach for the humans would be ok but I think for the Maren and such I'm with everyone else who said gibberish voices with subtitles. I think it would just work better that way. They should have thier own language in my opinion. ^^

Rhayader

Rhayader

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS (of course), games, gaming in general, NiGHTS, and other random stuff
i agree with misaki-chan, i too dont think its necessary to understand them, but since they want to add more depth to the storyline i guess they could do as catchan2007 suggested and just add some subtittles. the worst thing they could do is to give NiGHTS a voice actor IMO!

but again, since they want to add more depth, i guess its ok to add some voice acting on the dreamers. i know how you all feel, for me i have to go thru the original japanese, then the english dubbing and only then they translate it to portuguese, so i kind of suffer a lot with the voice acting as many of them sound just horrible, are incompreensible and even sometimes change the whole story plot.

for me the worst sonic dubbing ever has to be the one in sonic riders >.<

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

About voice acting: Well, Ryan Drummond, Sonic's old VA, has always been Sonic for me. And I loved Eggman's old voice actor...but he died (the new one is a pale imitation).

There have been phenomenal American voice actors, at least in American cartoons. Tony Jay would make a great Wizeman...although he's also dead. Darn it. But Jackle could be played by Mark Hamill. He can do crazy.

Really, its a matter of who is casting.

I may have mixed it up, but ONE of those said "adios". There's no way I would have imagined that. I've laughed at it enough times that there were three frickin' forms of goodbye between what was said and the translating process. It was REALLY dumb. Take it from someone who is obsessed enough to get Tails tattooed on them. XD

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

I may have mixed it up, but ONE of those said "adios". There's no way I would have imagined that. I've laughed at it enough times that there were three frickin' forms of goodbye between what was said and the translating process. It was REALLY dumb. Take it from someone who is obsessed enough to get Tails tattooed on them. XD

You have a Tails tattoo?! I would like to see that. (So long as it is somewhere appropriate...)

As for voice acting. Maybe they will talk like whales do, or some kind of form of moaning. Just a random thought.....

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

You have a Tails tattoo?! I would like to see that. (So long as it is somewhere appropriate...)

In my gallery. Find out for yourself.. :blink: *lol* just kidding. But its in there.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

In my gallery. Find out for yourself.. :) *lol* just kidding. But its in there.

What gallery? It doesn't seem to be DA because I don't see it. You sent me on a wild goose chase. I even checked the scraps.

--Edit--
Oh wait nevermind. I didn't know you had another DA account...

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts

What gallery? It doesn't seem to be DA because I don't see it. You sent me on a wild goose chase. I even checked the scraps.

--Edit--
Oh wait nevermind. I didn't know you had another DA account...

My gallery here, silly. :) In the creativity section.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

My gallery here, silly. :) In the creativity section.

>.< Great now don't I feel dumb!

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Sudeki is an rpg for the XboX, american made, which some consider blasphemy. tongue.gif The art is questionable and I heard the game ain't wonderful (I do really love one character design though.) I never did hear those voices..

Fairly certain it's actually a UK developed product. The game is fairly decent (aside from the absymal ending) but, man... the voice acting. Suffice to say if I ever actually heard an Englishman talk like that I would be doing the world a favour by tearing out his tongue.
However I do find the one Irish guy (complete with green jacket, red beard and shamrock in his also green hat XD) incredibly entertaining XD

And I can definatly remember Sonic saying "Sayanora, Shadow the Hedgehog" during the credits of Sonic Adventure 2... can't recall many of Maria's lines. ("Give them a chance to be happy...")

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

And I can definatly remember Sonic saying "Sayanora, Shadow the Hedgehog" during the credits of Sonic Adventure 2... can't recall many of Maria's lines. ("Give them a chance to be happy...")

Oh yeah he did. Which ever Maria said he said. It depends on the version I belive. What if they decide to make NiGHTS say some weird stuff like that. NO!

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
Yeah, purg? i have this game and have beaten it 20 million times. in english she says "Sayonara, Shadow the Hedgehog." trust me on this one XD

How about this.

WHEN DID MARIA BECOME MONDO COOL?? That she had to say something cheesy like "Adios"?! She said goodbye! Both those words mean goodbye and all they had to say was what? You guessed it! "Goodbye!" But they couldn't even do that right, they went with "Adios" like the frickin Terminator! :) Sooo horrible.....

Zero 22

Zero 22

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, Sonic, Drawing, Plushies, the list goes on ^____^
It might be interesting XD

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
Getting back on topic, I remember a description of the NiGHTS trailer that Iizuka-san recently showed off. You know, the one that the press got to see while we peasants got a poke in the eye.

Anyway, I remember hearing that the trailer was very Disney-like, with voiceover.

Now, you could interpret this in two ways. Personally, I think this means that the trailer got the usual treatment from "movie voice-over dude."

Or you could read this and think "Well, that's it. They're bringing in voice actors for this game."

To repeat, I'm betting on the former. Discuss.

Huruyami

Huruyami

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
i dont think there would be voices. Iizuka wouldnt allow it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users