Welcome to NiGHTS COMMUNiTY
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What if there are voices?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
  • Interests:Video Games
    Anime
    Video Game music (I am a video game music junkie)
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Churros (They are so great they get their own category)
    Ramen (It gets its own category too)
    Friendly people
    YouTube
    Watching Time Attacks/Speed Runs
What if JoD has voices (excluding NiGHTS of corse), how do you think this will make you feel?

I'm okay with the kids having voices, but not so much the Nightmaren since they have they're own language. But maybe a seen with Reala talking to NiGHTS would be okay with me, as long as its short.

What do you guys think?

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
Ooh, a toughie. What I'd be most worried about is finding voices that fit the Marens. Like what kind of voice would convey androgyny? It'll be a tough one for sega, unless they have no voices. Maybe in NiGHTS's case, they can change his voice depending on who he's merged with.

Thom

Thom

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have this feeling that none of them will have voices at all, except for the little sounds they made, similar to the original.
I think they're smart enough for that. :P

Sierra

Sierra

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Interests:Books, gaming, animals, books, my computer, writing. Oh, did I mention books?
I'd like to think so, but Sega's latest track record can leave a hint of doubt..

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...
If Jackle makes an apperance and doesn't sound like a crazy maniac...I will not be happy.

I am scared about what kind of voice Reala will have. I hope Japanese voices are available. They are usually a lot better than American ones. I always play my Sonic games in Japanese because of this. Except Sonic Riders...that was never available. >.<

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

If Jackle makes an apperance and doesn't sound like a crazy maniac...I will not be happy.

I am scared about what kind of voice Reala will have. I hope Japanese voices are available. They are usually a lot better than American ones. I always play my Sonic games in Japanese because of this. Except Sonic Riders...that was never available. >.<

Well, the option was avalible in Secret Rings. So if they do have voices in JoD, I would assume that you'd be able to.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
I don't mind the Dreamers having voices. I think the Maren should speak there own language but with subtitles or something, Kind of like in Starfox Adventures with the Dinosaur language. I think Gulpo, Gillwing and Clawz will just make the same noises as in the first.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Video games, NiGHTS, Sonic The Hedgehog, computer, drawing, reading, Egypt, more video games...

Well, the option was avalible in Secret Rings. So if they do have voices in JoD, I would assume that you'd be able to.

Thank you god! I hated it when ever I had to hear Knukles because he was done by Dan Green. (I could really hear Yami Yugi in his voice every time....) That and Amy...or Jet! Ahhh! Please Sega, don't get people with scracthy voices.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Thank you god! I hated it when ever I had to hear Knukles because he was done by Dan Green. (I could really hear Yami Yugi in his voice every time....) That and Amy...or Jet! Ahhh! Please Sega, don't get people with scracthy voices.

The guy who does Sonic's voice also does Jet's and Shadow's voices. I not sure about this, but I think he does Espio's new voice too.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts
  • Interests:*Imagination<br />*Drawing<br />*Anime<br />*Video Games<br />*Dreaming<br />*Music
It would be hard to put a voice on NiGHTS, but Reala is noticeably masculine so I'm sure his voice will be male. Jackle I think would be male as well and I think his voice will be fun to hear, I love his manacle laughter. Its also funny when you kill him he like, "mumbles...... mumbles fade..... mumbles now very faint......NiGHTS!" Its so funny, check it out on sound test lol.

YamiLover13

YamiLover13

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

The guy who does Sonic's voice also does Jet's and Shadow's voices. I not sure about this, but I think he does Espio's new voice too.

Something went wrong with Jet's voice though.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

I noticed that in Sonic Riders. In the opening cinema and throughout the beginning part of the game it was smoother, but then towards the end it was high pitched and scratchy as if he was going threw puberty. Me and my boyfriend used to make fun of it all the time when he said "Enough of this friendly banter Sonic" I have no idea why lol.

JaxTH

JaxTH

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts
    Anime
    Anime music
    Music with a good beat
    Reading Manga
    Food
    Friendly people
    YouTube

Maybe...

Or maybe SEGA WANTED to rape our ears!

Leedz

Leedz

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I've been hoping against voices as long as the idea of another NiGHTS has been around. I wouldn't mind it so much for the dreamers or anyone else in the waking world, but I'm against it for the maren. The maren speaking in their own sort of jibberish language is one of the things that makes the dreams dream-like; I realize that a lot of people have coherent dreams (myself among them), but whether that's a norm or not, we've ALL had those times in our dreams where we just KNEW something, whether it was logical or not. For some reason you could communicate with your dog, or for some reason you were in a life situation that was entirely NOT based on your life, but you already had all the information. And at least every once in a while you've encountered that person that was speaking nonsense but you knew exactly what they meant.

That's among the reasons why I've always appreciated that the maren only communicated in grunts, cries, surprised exclaimations, or indistinguished nonsense. It makes the emulated dream setting feel more like an actual dream, because it didn't have to rely on the rules of reality. It also kept things from being too set-in-stone, and allowed the wiggle room of imagination, which is what the entire story is supposed to be about in the first place. I'm not against sound all together, just logical sound in the form of coherent language. I'd most prefer the random jibberish we saw in the first game with scrolling text at the bottom.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

Maybe...

Or maybe SEGA WANTED to rape our ears!

Rofl, probably so. I mean Tails' voice throughout games sounded younger and younger, then he just sounded extremely flamboyant in Sonic X and on. I think that Sonic and the Secret Rings was the last game the Sonic x voicing cast will take part in on. Phew!

I've been hoping against voices as long as the idea of another NiGHTS has been around. I wouldn't mind it so much for the dreamers or anyone else in the waking world, but I'm against it for the maren. The maren speaking in their own sort of jibberish language is one of the things that makes the dreams dream-like; I realize that a lot of people have coherent dreams (myself among them), but whether that's a norm or not, we've ALL had those times in our dreams where we just KNEW something, whether it was logical or not. For some reason you could communicate with your dog, or for some reason you were in a life situation that was entirely NOT based on your life, but you already had all the information. And at least every once in a while you've encountered that person that was speaking nonsense but you knew exactly what they meant.

That's among the reasons why I've always appreciated that the maren only communicated in grunts, cries, surprised exclaimations, or indistinguished nonsense. It makes the emulated dream setting feel more like an actual dream, because it didn't have to rely on the rules of reality. It also kept things from being too set-in-stone, and allowed the wiggle room of imagination, which is what the entire story is supposed to be about in the first place. I'm not against sound all together, just logical sound in the form of coherent language. I'd most prefer the random jibberish we saw in the first game with scrolling text at the bottom.

Thats a good argument I know what you mean about just knowing something for no reason at all during dreams at all. Random gibberish with subs is kind of what I'm leaning against, kind of like Midna from Twilight Princess is probably a good example.

Thom

Thom

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

I'd like to think so, but Sega's latest track record can leave a hint of doubt..

I would think they'd treat NiGHTS a little differently than their other series.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
I agree that NiGHTS should be kept mute. If his/her facial expressions and body language don't speak for themselves, (s)he won't be NiGHTS.

As for the 'Pians and 'Marens, I think it would be interesting for them to speak through music. I seem to remember the 'Pians doing that in NiD. So, let's say the 'Pians would talk through strings, woodwinds and bells, while the 'Marens would communicate through horns, brass and drums. Subtitles would be included.

For Reala, I'd recommend Jason Marsden. He has a lengthy and distinguished resume, but his work in Spirited Away alone (he was Haku) qualifies him to play Reala. But that's just my opinion.

To be honest, I'd rather they don't have voices or subtitles. Just do away with the dialogue altogther, like NiD. Part of the original game's charm is because of how open-ended it was. There are so many interpetations of what the characters are like and what's going on. The result is that no two people see the game or play it in the same way.

Putting in dialogue would do a lot in taking that away.

Ninja Liz-chan

Ninja Liz-chan

Lurker

• Visitor
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Videogames, Science fiction, cartoons, manga, art, music and writting.
Oooh if they do voices they BETTER have the Japanese voices or I will flip. I wasn't happy with some of the more reacent Sonic games because of there lack of Japanese voices (excluding Secert rings, that made me happy!). I'm expecting they'll do voices, but I really rather they not.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list.
Personally I am for voices, if they get the right ones.. with a special technique.

To explain:

NiGHTS, we cannot tell is male or female, correct? So, get a good Female Voice actress who has a more male tune, and a male voice actor with a femalish tune, and have them both speak NiGHTS' words and have them record over one another, giving NiGHTS the sound of two voices.

The same would be with any other Nightmaren: Whatever they would represent the most would be it, Like Reala could have two male voices when he speaks (Though he didn't in the original game, I know, but it would be a fun tidbit). Hard, yes, but it could have interesting effects.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Personally I am for voices, if they get the right ones.. with a special technique.

To explain:

NiGHTS, we cannot tell is male or female, correct? So, get a good Female Voice actress who has a more male tune, and a male voice actor with a femalish tune, and have them both speak NiGHTS' words and have them record over one another, giving NiGHTS the sound of two voices.

The same would be with any other Nightmaren: Whatever they would represent the most would be it, Like Reala could have two male voices when he speaks (Though he didn't in the original game, I know, but it would be a fun tidbit). Hard, yes, but it could have interesting effects.

I like the way you think. I'm sure this would work and work well.

However, we need to think about what voices would give and what they would take away. As I pointed out earlier, clear dialogue would take away from the open-ended nature of the NiGHTS world. There would be far less room for interpretation and discussion regarding the characters and the events of the game.

I'd also make the argument that voices wouldn't add anything new. We never needed dialogue -- much less a voice -- to know that NiGHTS is a prankster and a free spirit. We know that Claris and Elliott are the pure-hearted protagonists though they never spoke a word. And Wizeman? Reala? The other bosses? You could tell they were all villains just by looking at them.

Yes, voices and dialogue would do wonders for developing the characters. But for the above reasons, that's a double-edged sword. And in my opinion, the drawback would be far greater than the reward.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

I like the way you think. I'm sure this would work and work well.

However, we need to think about what voices would give and what they would take away. As I pointed out earlier, clear dialogue would take away from the open-ended nature of the NiGHTS world. There would be far less room for interpretation and discussion regarding the characters and the events of the game.

I'd also make the argument that voices wouldn't add anything new. We never needed dialogue -- much less a voice -- to know that NiGHTS is a prankster and a free spirit. We know that Claris and Elliott are the pure-hearted protagonists though they never spoke a word. And Wizeman? Reala? The other bosses? You could tell they were all villains just by looking at them.

Yes, voices and dialogue would do wonders for developing the characters. But for the above reasons, that's a double-edged sword. And in my opinion, the drawback would be far greater than the reward.

Yes, I agree; But personally I am one for character development (Though I am sure this is they type of game one would not be wise for that XD)

However we need to think of the typical issues at threat here as well: How many sequels truly lived up to the first? Not many. Not only that, this is a sequel to happen YEARS after the first was released. Personally, as a semi-gamer, I'd be more afraid of them screwing other things up than risking a chance on character development.

Not to stray from the point: I agree, as you said it would be a risk equivilent to a double-edged sword, however we need to think about today's audiences and the points of the Project for JOD: Are they aiming for just us old fans, or for new ones too? If that's the case, then we will most defiantly be seeing voice acting in some degree, because a lot of gamers who never knew of NiD who began to play it never liked the game because they don't understand what's going on (Because as it's pointed out somewhere, it was back when you read the books for the plot.)

In fact, I dare say this game will not only be longer, but indeed will have character development, to a degree, I'm sure. Now, were this three years after the first release of NiGHTS? Yes, I would agree to not have voices, but the fact is now we're facing trying to draw in newer crowds. Yuji Naka has admitted to wanting NiGHTS to be another figure icon for the Sega once before. (Personally, I believe if you're not a fan of the original you shouldn't appeal to the next gen -CoughCapcomcoughcough-)

Who knows? Maybe they keep out the voices, per say. It'd be hilarious to see the storyline done in a movie or something of that nature. (Silent Hill-ish.)

I kinda rambled off topic on that. Sorry, a bit tired. XD

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Gaming, cosplay, linguistics, music, art, baking, cooking, sciences
I like the idea of NiGHTS have a double, masculine female/effeminate male voice. As for the others? Personal thought wants Reala to have something vaguely androgynous but heavily leaning toward masculine and very hissing/rough. If we have the return of other Maren? Jackle with something shrill and maddened, Puffy with something alto and operatic (very sing-song), Claws with something scathing and mischievous (like a Cheshire cat sound), Gulpo with something that sounds like he's underwater and low (kind of like Big, maybe?), and GillWing just needs to roar at people XD (I like his original voice, m'self). Beyond that, I'm hoping they keep the gibberish sounds from the first.

As for the possibility of a Japanese voice track... I'd have to say... there should only be one. Keep the gibberish sound! The use of an actual language detracts from the universal feeling of the game. I almost want to say that I think the dreamers shouldn't even talk at all, much like how in the LoZ games, Link doesn't have a dialogue part. Sure, squeaks, grunts, cries, yelps, laughs--those can fit, but... I dunno. I just personally disagree with the idea of having a set language track. I love the concept of how universal the first game was, so it'd be kind of a shame if you had something that ripped that away, in the second. Kind of like in Okami, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, LoZ: Twilight Princess... that kind of nonsensical dialogue. Just sounds or gibbery languages. I love that.

Curiosity Inc.

Curiosity Inc.

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

I like the idea of NiGHTS have a double, masculine female/effeminate male voice. As for the others? Personal thought wants Reala to have something vaguely androgynous but heavily leaning toward masculine and very hissing/rough. If we have the return of other Maren? Jackle with something shrill and maddened, Puffy with something alto and operatic (very sing-song), Claws with something scathing and mischievous (like a Cheshire cat sound), Gulpo with something that sounds like he's underwater and low (kind of like Big, maybe?), and GillWing just needs to roar at people XD (I like his original voice, m'self). Beyond that, I'm hoping they keep the gibberish sounds from the first.

As for the possibility of a Japanese voice track... I'd have to say... there should only be one. Keep the gibberish sound! The use of an actual language detracts from the universal feeling of the game. I almost want to say that I think the dreamers shouldn't even talk at all, much like how in the LoZ games, Link doesn't have a dialogue part. Sure, squeaks, grunts, cries, yelps, laughs--those can fit, but... I dunno. I just personally disagree with the idea of having a set language track. I love the concept of how universal the first game was, so it'd be kind of a shame if you had something that ripped that away, in the second. Kind of like in Okami, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, LoZ: Twilight Princess... that kind of nonsensical dialogue. Just sounds or gibbery languages. I love that.

So, you want to take Dark Messiah's approach and use it so that the characters speak with voices in gibberish with subtitles? Kind of like Midna?

I can live with that. In fact, I'm very fond of all of the ideas in your post.

Dark Messiah

Dark Messiah

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

So, you want to take Dark Messiah's approach and use it so that the characters speak with voices in gibberish with subtitles? Kind of like Midna?

I can live with that. In fact, I'm very fond of all of the ideas in your post.

Likewise, nearly an Animal Crossings rip off going on. XD But yea, for the sake of the game I can deal with that. Should prove to be amusing in the least. X3

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Yeah, something on those lines. XD Especially since it's in a dreamworld, too. Language has no boundaries there, like it does in the Real, eh? :3

AYRiES

AYRiES

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Meh, I wouldn't mind the kids having voices when they're awake... but in the dreams and such? A lot of people dream and say they talked without actually thinking they'd 'heard' it or moved their mouth, or they'd talked in gibberish but still understood it since it was all in their mind and the brain had decided what it meant since it came up with the dream anyway. Soooo I think it'd be really cool if they kept the nonsense language and no speech and such while they're dreaming...

Plus the whole universal thing. I mean everyone dreams, don't they?

The gibberish voices *are* cool though, but if they give NiGHTS a really male or really female voice I may have to scream... though maybe it could change based on who merged with him/her? Reala will probably be more masculine... He's supposed to be opposite NiGHTS, so maybe the idea is he has an easier-to-define-gender as opposed to androgynous. I want him to hiss a lot though. XD

animejosse

animejosse

Dreamworld Police

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,692 posts
I agree about having gibberish with subtitles, I can name at least two other games that used that approach successfully. Hopefully this would mean that the voice actors would actually put effort into their acting instead of dubbers trying to sound as close to the original voice as possible.

4kids, I'm looking at you. I still haven't forgiven you for making me want to strangle my favourite characters.

NiGHTS' voice changing depending on the dreamer s/he's merged with would be really interesting if they could pull it off. Otherwise I really want the voice to be androgynous.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Whatever for the other characters, I would be strongly opposed to NiGHTS having any dialogue in the game at all.
The reason they made NiGHTS as dual gendered as he is was to appeal to all gamers, and the reason his design is so human and good compared to everyone else is so that the player will project themselves onto the character and empathise with him, thus making them enjoy the game more.
This is a standard game concept and explains why many playable characters have fairly bland faces.
By leaving him voiceless it adds another entrance for the player to insert themselves unconsciously onto the character.
For this reason, I would also be happier if they give all the Nightmarens full voices, albeit heavilly distorted ones, as it would distance the player from the enemies and give them another reason to defeat them.

Someone mentioned earlier they could do the voices by saying the lines backwards, then reversing them on computer so they sound like real words, just oddly distorted... that'd probably be my favourite idea yet.
(For example, record "Nim-yoss oh-lep" then play it backwrds. Is awesome. XD)

PRiNCE

PRiNCE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, pie, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS, taters, NiGHTS, singing, NiGHTS,Sonic, and did I say NiGHTS? NiGHTS!
What they will probably think about at SEGA is not the long-tiome fans and what they think, but the oublic. My opinion, they will make NiGHTS one gender, make Claris sound like a tuba, Elliot like a flute, make Claris have huge breasts,and screw the whole game up!
What I hope, however, is that they have a storyline, yes. To sell this game, thay need one. Not for us who know that no-single-story-line is part of the magic, but the brats who pass and say, "Look mom, a gay flying clown!" "Jimmy, that's not nice, call him a pretty flying clown!" (Not making fun of anyone that is @*@%^, this is just the way people think in my area.) I really hope that if there is any diologue, you can:
1:skip it
2:Notice that NiGHTS is androgynous
or
3: Hear good voice acting instead of 4kids garbage.

NNR07

NNR07

Crazy Regular

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  • Interests:Lots of stuff. Too much stuff.
I'm ok with Dreamers having voices, but I really think marens shouldn't have voices (that speak english, that is) at all. The Nightmaren language that NiGHTS spoke when he/she got hurt is what I'm hoping they'll reuse. Besides, we can always turn off voices or switch to another language if we prefer not to listen to NiGHTS or Reala's English voice.

Metra

Metra

• Visitor
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:Getting MAD DRAWING SKILLZ, making friends, writing, drawing, NiGHTS, old games, dreaming, using &quot;Etc etc etc&quot;s in the end of phrases, etc etc etc.
Dreamer voices are OK.
Maren voices... In Maren language, hmm, yesss! Or gibberish like Purg said: Register your voice, put it backwards, register your voice saying the backwards gibberish and put it backwards. The result is some pseudo-gibberish that we can understand. Cool.

I liked Reala's voice in the first game. And Jackle's too (Even if he just says a few things, like grunts and something I can't understand when you beat him). And NiGHTS' voice... Hm... Yea, androginous, y'know.

DiENE

DiENE

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 491 posts

To explain:

Why didn't I think of that, that would be cool and possibly the best thing to do. I remember in a song based off of Sai's PiD, they edited a voice and made it Reala and it actually sounded like it should be his actual voice, it just sounded so...him lol.

Sairus

Sairus

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Or gibberish like Purg said: Register your voice, put it backwards, register your voice saying the backwards gibberish and put it backwards. The result is some pseudo-gibberish that we can understand. Cool.

Alas, as nifty as that would be, there is no microphone compatable with the Wii yet, so this feature couldn't be used...

Well, there is the mike that came with Mario Party 7 for the GameCube... but the chances of them using that mike are extremely slim.

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
For Claris and Elliot, fine.. but for the Maren...

No >.< especially not in english. If they laughed or had some kind of taunt sound, that'd be okay too. I've got nightmares of the english voice actors in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.. they might dig out the same ones from under the rug and try using them.. nooooo

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..
If they did it the same way, its all good. :P But if they feel they have to do more talking, I'm not worried for Japanese voices as much as I am for english ones! They're notorious for getting craptastic dubs! *hides* I'll be super happy if they have the option to switch from one to the other. I know when they started putting games on the GC, they took that option out. But I'm sure the disks on the Wii have plenty of space to leave that option in.

I'm still set that most of them were speaking "engrish"... but if there's some official article about that, I'll shut my mouth. XD

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

As long as they don’t have crappy mixed matched voices, bad sound effects, or very bad dialog.

But! But! That's the first rule in the official dubbing rulebook u.u

Honestly I have no faith in english voice acting. At least in the dubbing arena and especially for video games. They use blatant n00bs and expect everyone to go apeshyte over it. Sonic Team has one of the worst records for this too.... x_x maybe someone ought to write them begging for some talent in voices.

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
I'll be the first to say, I'm sure, that there is some *amazing* dubbing work, out there. Specifically ADV. Yes, sometimes the dubbing is better than the original, too. But anyway! ::bopped over the head for blasphemy::

Though... Hm. I'm not sure, now. I would really like the gibberish/subtitled effect with the characters you interact with within the Mares and whatnot (if you interact with them beyond boss fights)... And I'm pretty sure there'll be a "skip dialogue" function if there's dialogue at all; you can do that with most games. I know I've cussed at my GameCube because I accidentally skipped a scene. XD; But yeah. I dunno, now. I am still very against having any set language in the game, personally. Especially with how off translations tend to be. e.e ::glares at the translations for some of the games she's played, lately:: They don't say thaaaaaaaaaaaat...

Purgatory

Purgatory

DreamWorld Detective

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,532 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, NiGHTS into Dreams, flailing around the forum and helping people, anime, manga, making my own comic, video games, Guild Wars, movies (especially horror) Lots of stuff. Old video game/movie/TV show trivia..

I'll be the first to say, I'm sure, that there is some *amazing* dubbing work, out there.

This is true. But Sonic Team blows with voice acting, they don't know how to find these super amazing voice actors. its almost as though they go to their children and say "Hey Jr.! You wanna be in daddy's project?" And then.. Tails was born. :P

Loren

Loren

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Tenten! Yeah I know what you mean about the mis-translations. Someone will say 'I love you' and the subtitles will say 'awesome' or something dumb like that, or if you've got a dvd with english and japanese, stuff is changed for no goddamn reason.

I also agree that some, SOME english voice acting is good. I liked Cowboy Bebop. Fushigi Yuugi wasn't terrible. The first seasons of DBZ was ok but not great.. but the majority of it just hurts my head n.n

Ten

Ten

Dreamer

• Visitor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Yeah. @_@; It'll say, like... "Is that so?" and the OFFICIAL subtitling will say "All right, then!". I mean, really? What's so hard to translate about THAT? D:

But... yeah, Sonic Team doesn't have the shiniest track record. >: If they do voicing, they really need to do well. xD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users